AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-09, 09:29   Link #161
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched the [a.f.k.] sub, since there weren't any others available for some reason. [a.f.k.] is usually my last choice for subbing groups, since I much prefer translations that aren't so heavily localized; I get to learn a bit more about the Japanese culture that way. Anyway, my thoughts:

1) A certain other KyoAni work has insinuated itself too heavily into my psyche; when Tsukasa picked up that piece of toast, I immediately wondered whether she was going to eat it with a certain orange-coloured jam.

2) Kagami: "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Is it just Stratos, or did I just see a Pokemon catchphrase there?

3) I wonder if the seiyuu for Sensei is the same as for AIR (TV)'s Kamio Haruka.....I can't tell the difference between their voices....

4) Balsamic vinegar. Urgh. Reminds me of an episode of Iron Chef I happened to catch since there was nothing else to do at the time.....

5) Kona-chan 'aaahing' into the fan. Subtle AIR (TV) reference here.....

6) Why was Akira yelling about Yutaka? Was the KyoAni "change of director" just a publicity stunt after all?

7) I really do hope Sugita replaces Minoru next Lucky Channel. It'll be an interesting change, and it's about time Kaioshin-chan reverted to his "tsun-tsun" side too, so that I can get my chances to cos-rape him.
Old 2007-05-09, 09:40   Link #162
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

@Ascaloth
Concerning #2, Kagami said 'Getto Daze!', which is roughly the Japanese Pokemon catch phrase counterpart to 'Gotta Catch'em all!' if I'm not mistaken.

#3, Aya Hisakawa is Haruko, Konomi Maeda is Kanako. Maybe its just their accent that makes them sound similar?

#5, I really think is more of a general thing rather than a reference to AIR. I mean, I've done it loads of times when I was a kid, and so did a lot of my peers back in the day. XD

#6, I really think the reason why Akira was yelling Yutaka is not because of the director, but because of the yet to be introduced character named Yutaka. She's short and also has red hair, which gives more evidence as to how Akira's name changed to Yutaka in the script. And Akira being Akira, gets ballistic for having her name replaced. Directed mainly at those who read the 4-koma already, since they're the ones who would know Yutaka.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-09, 09:52   Link #163
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post

3) I wonder if the seiyuu for Sensei is the same as for AIR (TV)'s Kamio Haruka.....I can't tell the difference between their voices....
Nah, she voiced the grandson of Chourou (the geezer with the big chest hair in Hake + Guu).
Old 2007-05-09, 09:53   Link #164
aorta

Can someone explain the exchange between Yui and Nanako right before the eyecatch? Something about being single and having a husband?
Old 2007-05-09, 10:03   Link #165
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Can someone explain the exchange between Yui and Nanako right before the eyecatch? Something about being single and having a husband?
I do believe it is linked to the old social pressure of Japanese women being told to get married before they reach 30 years of age. The teacher just wanted to feel like she wasn't the only adult female who is single, and thus asked if the cop was "by herself", meaning single. The cop mistaken her comment as "alone in festival", and replied yes. But only because her husband works far away and she doesn't see him often.

The teacher was doing one of those laughs implying an understanding of what it's like to be single, but the cop just didn't get it.
Old 2007-05-09, 10:23   Link #166
Anonymous Coward
¥€$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixen View Post
One more thing...

Konata: "It's not as entertaining when two girls do it."

Nooooooooooooo! What are you saying?! Take that back! >_<;;;
ahahaa yeah. A little voice in the back of my head shouted "Hey! Speak for yourself"

Some of the other highlights for me:
- Tsukasa's eye for trivia (and Kona's subsequent one-liner) I really hope we get to see a bit more of this in the future
- Cousin Yui!
Although I do agree with Skane that it felt a little bit unnatural at first, I'm going to cut the VA some slack.
While her initial meeting with kona's friend isn't that funny, the real pay off is when she meets (and checks out) Nanako. Oh and her "advice" to Kona latter on == priceless. Looking forward to more
- Kona & Tsukasa with the fan, and Kagami getting dumped in it by her father
overall 8/10 (marked down from 9 for Lucky Channel)

I will admit that I didn't get all the MMO references (100% FPS fan here ^_^ - don't see the point of paying monthly subscription fees ), infact 99.9% of the Anime/Otaku references so far have gone straight over my head [sux to be a newbie, eh?]
Old 2007-05-09, 10:26   Link #167
superzombie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Final Fantasy XI was already used in Welcome to the NHK!, so I don't know if it'd be totally original to portray it. It is more popular in Japan than it is in America, where WoW dominates.

I do believe they mentioned that Konata's RPG has 6-player parties. Plus, one of the shots of Konata playing on her computer in the 4-koma manga showed a display screen similar to FFXI's. But I think a more obsure MMORPG would be funnier.

Typing that reminds me of my days of working with friends to restore the light of the crystals by battling the evil fiend...
I have a high lvl character in FFXI, so all the MMO jokes were ****ing hilarious. Every joke about MMOs in this ep. was similar to aspects of FFXI, and i just loved the part where they show the chats where they're talking about IRL in the game lmao.
Old 2007-05-09, 10:38   Link #168
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It's been ages since I last played Ragnarok Online, yet I still manage to get ALL the MMO jokes. Concerning the tankings, the chats, everything, simply ludicrously funny. Nanako reminding Kona-chan to do her homework on the MMO chat, lmao.

Hunting solo can be so mundane, as shown by Kona-chan doing nothing but clicking on monsters, and it only becomes engaging once you find an extremely rare drop and go off in a chat with your guild/clan.

Interestingly, Yui's advice of just filling whatever answer in the homework was similar to what I used to do when submitting schoolwork. What's important is that I've did my part, so the teachers can take it or leave it, LOL.

Quote:
But yeah... it's "amazing" how people will literally throw treasure at you so long as you "roleplay" a cute/sexy female character. The "sexual harassment" can be disturbing though.
MMORPG, after all, stands for Multiple Males Online Role Playing as Girls. And no, I did not have a female character, regrettably, since RO fixed the player's gender after registration.
Old 2007-05-09, 10:46   Link #169
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post

I did not have a female character, regrettably, since RO fixed the player's gender after registration.

That's why lying about your gender on registration can be handy, or use one of your relatives' names. =P
Old 2007-05-09, 10:52   Link #170
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
my question is Yui really konata cousin ... or is she just a good friend ?
Really her cousin.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-09, 11:04   Link #171
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
~
Interestingly, Yui's advice of just filling whatever answer in the homework was similar to what I used to do when submitting schoolwork. What's important is that I've did my part, so the teachers can take it or leave it, LOL.
Way back when I was still in school, we had "Social Studies & Morality" lessons. These lessons were meant to instil patriotism and civic morality into us. As such, we were also given tests on it.

However...

The results would not be printed on our Graduation Certificates. In fact, the results would only appear on our cards, which you can basically discard once you graduate.

Additionally, the questions were moronically easy, since you would need to be a psychopath (or a real sociopath) in order not to get the answers right.

And so... I decided to deliberately answer some of the questions in "amusing" ways. After checking I had at least 60% of the score secured (just so that they won't drag me to the Principal's office on grounds that I might be a potential murdering-psycho), I answered some of the open-ended questions as such...

(Note: I am recalling the questions and answers from years ago, so I am probably off a bit)

Q: During recess, you return to the classroom and witness a classmate of yours extorting money from another classmate. What will be your course of action?

A: I will threaten the extortionist with blackmail and make him pass the money to me instead so that I will not report him to the teachers.

Q: Singapore faces the problem of supporting an ageing population. Give some recommendations on how we can alleviate this problem.

A: Pass a mandatory law to round up all citizens aged 65 and above and execute them on the spot.
~~~~ ~~~~

And so on and so forth. I recall some of my answers involved the beating up of classmates, but I can't remember the question for that one.

I told my classmates about what I did after the test and they were all basically of the opinion that I was going to "get it". Surprising, nothing "serious" happened as a result.

Not much, at least.

On the day when we were to receive back our papers, the lady teacher in charge of our SS&M lessons looked really annoyed and as we went up one by one to her to collect back our test papers, she started telling us in a very loud voice that while she understood that this test would not affect our final grades, we should still take it seriously.

When it was my turn to take back my paper... Oh man. The glare that she threw at me. She never said anything to me, but I can still remember that murderous glare vividly, like she wanted to deck me in the chin or something and rend me from limb to limb.

I still consider it to be one of my "top favourite" test moments.

Heh...
Old 2007-05-09, 11:09   Link #172
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
7) I really do hope Sugita replaces Minoru next Lucky Channel. It'll be an interesting change, and it's about time Kaioshin-chan reverted to his "tsun-tsun" side too, so that I can get my chances to cos-rape him.
I've come to the conclusion that Sugita is like the Japanese Adam Sandler actually.

Think about it, he's always doing some type of job that nobody appreciates (Samurai in Gintama, Project Oveseer Who's Opponent Has The Militaries Support Gadget Trial, Super Robot Sub-Pilot in Super Robot Wars). He always has one or more good looking female's despite his chararacter's personalities, he has a voice that grows more annoying and hoarse as he continues to talk, he frequently freaks out and starts screaming over the littlest of things like Sandler (Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Click) and his characters often seem to suffer from near death experiences. Plus both have that look like in their promotional photo's that they've just gone on a huge bender.

If Sugita does a cameo they'd have to have Hard Gay appear too. He is about the only suitable Japanese equivalent to Rob Schneider.
Old 2007-05-09, 11:33   Link #173
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
I've managed to stay lurking for a long time. Somehow, I resisted de-lurking all through Haruhi (and that was tough) so I figured Lucky Star wouldn't break me...
Tell me about it. o_o I've been lurking forever and then registered to make *one* post somewhere in the depths of the forums. Then a few months later I saw the first ep of Lucky Star... and I knew I was done for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
The summer festival parts are pretty good too, as they introduced Yui-chan and showed Tsukasa's penchant for trivia knowledge. The part where Konata was aiming at the store attendant after asking him whether she can get anything she hit reminds me of a similar scene in Gintama. In that scene, the corks started flying and hitting the store attendant's sunglasses, wallet, etc after the characters asked if they could get whatever they hit.
For some reason, that reminded me of this:

(I regret this being such a small picture... ) It's a different game, but I remember how shocked I was seeing Tamami hit the attendent squarely in the middle of the forehead (and the attendent's facial expression is priceless). I was secretly hoping someone would shoot a cork in the middle of this attendent's forehead too...

Quote:
1) A certain other KyoAni work has insinuated itself too heavily into my psyche; when Tsukasa picked up that piece of toast, I immediately wondered whether she was going to eat it with a certain orange-coloured jam.
Aah! I thought of that too. XD Right when she reached for it, I immediately looked around the frame for any hint that *special* jam might show up.

I'm still watching every release of L*S, and the raw multiple times. I somehow get the feeling I might be a tad bit obsessed with this series.
Old 2007-05-09, 12:03   Link #174
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post

I'm still watching every release of L*S, and the raw multiple times. I somehow get the feeling I might be a tad bit obsessed with this series.
Uh Oh! You are becoming an Otaku. You need to develop a stronger resistance to the pressures these types of series exhibit or you'll wake up one morning to find you've decorated your room with Konata merchandise and that your Bank Account is overdrawn and Credit Cards maxed out. If you want to take a break from Lucky Star and don't know what else to watch let me know what you are interested in via PM and I could always recommend a series from my Vast Vast Vast knowledge of anime throughout the years. Vast.
Old 2007-05-09, 12:10   Link #175
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I recommend people jam a soldering iron into the Kanon-section of their brain so they can just enjoy L*S as is

(and yes, talking into fans is not a cultural reference to anything other than the universal joy of discovering what kind of weird noises you can make. I did it as a kid and I grew up in Texas, not Osaka or Hokkaido)

(and I'd rather play female characters online because if I'm going to stare at a butt/backside for hours - I'd rather it be cute. I handle flirt/harassment in character (some of my characters are pretty abrasive crabs) or I just tell them I'm probably older than their mother if they're persistent. It does amuse me that people *assume* there's a correlation between avatars and the person pushing the buttons --- after all, 90% of muscle-bulging warrior/paladins don't look like 13 year old boys. My usual companion in mayhem online is my older son's girlfriend anyway)
Old 2007-05-09, 12:16   Link #176
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I recommend people jam a soldering iron into the Kanon-section of their brain so they can just enjoy L*S as is

(and yes, talking into fans is not a cultural reference to anything other than the universal joy of discovering what kind of weird noises you can make. I did it as a kid and I grew up in Texas, not Osaka or Hokkaido)
Vexx you know as much as I do that every joke in this series has been a reference to the popular dating sims of To Heart, Air and Kanon.

In fact that Change Getter joke, not from Getter Robo, oh no that was clearly a reference to the episode of Kanon where Nayuki was changing and Kyon...sorry Yuuichi went in to get her. How could I have been so stupid to think it was from a Go Nagai manga. D'oh!

By the way, my character in Morrowind, the closest thing I have to an RPG is a Level 6 Dark Elf Newtype with assigned with Major skills to make him as much like a Newtype character as possible:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-09 at 12:48.
Old 2007-05-09, 12:43   Link #177
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You're such a card
Old 2007-05-09, 13:58   Link #178
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The "depleted uranium" reference coming out of nowhere.
Ah, but it is a reference very related to KyoAni. ^^

Analyze that conversation.
Who is Tsukasa talking to? Konata
What does she normally talk about? Anime
What is Tsukasa's knowledge on that subject limited to? Kagamin's (and it must be a military one b/c of depleted uranium being mentioned).
What Light Novel Kagami loves that KyoAni animated with a military setting?

Spoiler for The answer, it's so cute! ^^?:

Quote:
Laevatein
Spoiler for YES, this is one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppapana View Post
my question is Yui really konata cousin ... or is she just a good friend ?
Immediate cousin. Konata's Mom's sister's daughter, IIRC.

Quote:
2) Kagami: "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Is it just Stratos, or did I just see a Pokemon catchphrase there?
「ゲットだぜ」 is the Japanese catch phrase, just FYI
Old 2007-05-09, 14:48   Link #179
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Spoiler for Original very long post:
Kona needs to do that. She needs to.

Q: During recess, you return to the classroom and witness a classmate of yours extorting money from another classmate. What will be your course of action?

A: Write his name in a black notebook.

Q: Singapore faces the problem of supporting an aging population. Give some recommendations on how we can alleviate this problem.

A: Train still virile people through eroges to have crazy wild yuri loli sex and make more babies to balance it out.
Old 2007-05-09, 14:51   Link #180
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
@Ascaloth
Concerning #2, Kagami said 'Getto Daze!', which is roughly the Japanese Pokemon catch phrase counterpart to 'Gotta Catch'em all!' if I'm not mistaken.
Yes. The meaning is a little different though. "Getto Daze!" means "I got it", or more literally, "It's a 'get'!". Satoshi/Ash says it whenever he catches a Pokemon(when I was still watching the show anyways) in the form of "(Pokemon name here) Getto Daze!".

It makes more sense than "Gotta catch'em all!" in that scene, but I guess it's not too bad.
Closed Thread