AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-30, 04:07   Link #4181
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
Well I've never read any nukige, perhaps so that it might be better but hyl already mentioned most of them have rather poor story. I guess for a person who is story-centric like me my standards for what is a good story is much higher.

You can't deny though. The ratio(it seemed so, correct me if I'm wrong) of story to H scenes in nukige is as high as hentai itself.
I meant that in regards of the "extracting" business, I find nukige a lot more awesome than just hentai. I didn't refer to their stories at all. I play different kinds of eroge (nukige and otherwise) and I enjoy them in different ways
Old 2013-08-30, 04:30   Link #4182
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
I know Willplus operates under different names. VNDB have it recorded. As for Akabei Soft...I don't see that at all(I'm too lazy to go to the main site and I'm referring to them). Unless VNDB is doing something wrong, I don't see why it isn't reflected.

Akebei soft lead to Akebei soft2, which brought big name games such as Sharin no Kuni, and G-senjou no Maou
Akebeisoft 2 made other several brands like
-Syangrila, which is very known for the Akatsuki no Goei series. Syangrila later became Tigre for the recent game Reminiscence, which is somewhat a sequel to the Akatsuki no Goei series
-The recent Cosmic Cute for lovesick puppies (which i strongly enjoyed) and last month's Gleam garden no Shoujo
-Effordom for koikishi, which was the 2nd best sold eroge of 2011 (only Aiyoku no Eustia outsold Koikishi that year ) Also Effordom has it's own known subsidiary : Applique

And i can easily go on for while, because most of these subsidiaries have their own subsidiaries. Their entire company structure almost looks chaotic

edit:
Quote:
Okay to be fair I haven't read Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete yet but don't tell me all the rage were false. Why would so many people rage so hard about it WHICH in the end they had to come out with a restoration patch? It just doesn't make sense if the scenes were changed appropriately.
I have read the original but not "If my heart had wings", but not every rumour ended up being true.

Quote:
Besides take a look at this: http://vndb.org/r27811. The Japanese market haven't even release an all age version and the Western market decided to do it which I cannot see the point. Usually the Japanese market WILL release an all age version before the Western side do unless you tell me that this is an exception that the parent company decided to release an all age version first. If that's so, why do you need the above-mentioned link patch? It just doesn't add up.
Even if it were the parent company collaborating with a known translation company, I doubt they would have to release the above-mentioned patch if things were going well. Don't forget they DID release the eroge version in the Western market itself.
I am sure the restoration patch was a "fan-made" patch.

Eventhough i don't agree on some of the "changes" (not sure if all of those are true, because i haven't read the English version) i actually commend Willplus for trying such a bold thing, by bringing an eroge into the Western market. They tried to get a broader audience by making it T-rated instead of Adult-only and i don't see anything wrong with that.

Last edited by hyl; 2013-08-30 at 04:42.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 13:46   Link #4183
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Akebei soft lead to Akebei soft2, which brought big name games such as Sharin no Kuni, and G-senjou no Maou
Akebeisoft 2 made other several brands like
-Syangrila, which is very known for the Akatsuki no Goei series. Syangrila later became Tigre for the recent game Reminiscence, which is somewhat a sequel to the Akatsuki no Goei series
-The recent Cosmic Cute for lovesick puppies (which i strongly enjoyed) and last month's Gleam garden no Shoujo
-Effordom for koikishi, which was the 2nd best sold eroge of 2011 (only Aiyoku no Eustia outsold Koikishi that year ) Also Effordom has it's own known subsidiary : Applique

And i can easily go on for while, because most of these subsidiaries have their own subsidiaries. Their entire company structure almost looks chaotic
Well I do get it. Perhaps it's because I don't really read their VNs(only read G-senjou no Maou). Oh well. I should probably start to see what interesting VNs they have.

Quote:
edit:

I have read the original but not "If my heart had wings", but not every rumour ended up being true.
Well, not every but what if it's the most? I don't read any translated VNs so I wouldn't know it. I guess I'll have to start reading the VN and see how it is.

Quote:
I am sure the restoration patch was a "fan-made" patch.

Eventhough i don't agree on some of the "changes" (not sure if all of those are true, because i haven't read the English version) i actually commend Willplus for trying such a bold thing, by bringing an eroge into the Western market. They tried to get a broader audience by making it T-rated instead of Adult-only and i don't see anything wrong with that.
Yea but making eroge T-rated makes eroge loses it's meaning as an eroge ._.

They are better of asking the original makers to first release an all age version in the Japanese market before doing such bold stuff. That, of course is a safer method I feel which what many companies have been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I meant that in regards of the "extracting" business, I find nukige a lot more awesome than just hentai. I didn't refer to their stories at all. I play different kinds of eroge (nukige and otherwise) and I enjoy them in different ways
Ah che. I thought you meant story. For me, I read VN for story so nukige is a no no I guess.
Old 2013-08-30, 14:56   Link #4184
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Yea but making eroge T-rated makes eroge loses it's meaning as an eroge ._.

They are better of asking the original makers to first release an all age version in the Japanese market before doing such bold stuff. That, of course is a safer method I feel which what many companies have been doing.
>_>
How do you expect to reach a large audience if your product is rated AO by the ESRB or PEGI 18?
Otherwise it will get "lost" and lumped together with all the English translated nukige titles

Also Hooksoft's PriministAr looks so far pretty good
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 19:23   Link #4185
styr

So did anyone else buy the newly-released Yumina the Ethereal today?

I'm playing it now since I liked Eien no Aselia and the company that made Yumina (Eternal) branched off from Xuse to form their own company.

I do wish it was widescreen though. Not the biggest fan of the 4:3 resolution.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 20:21   Link #4186
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post

I'm playing it now since I liked Eien no Aselia and the company that made Yumina (Eternal) branched off from Xuse to form their own company.

Wasn't Yumina released like...several years back? Or there's a new game?
Old 2013-08-30, 20:31   Link #4187
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Wasn't Yumina released like...several years back? Or there's a new game?
Well it's true that it released several years ago in Japan, it only got an English release today. There was a demo that came out earlier this month. The gameplay is similar to Aselia for those that have played it.

Yumina has been plagued by delay after delay and JAST has finally released Yumina. I'm still waiting for Seinarukana myself, the sequel to Eien no Aselia.

I should probably just learn Japanese at this point, as there are so many VNs I want to play that remain untranslated or stuck in limbo. I already know the majority of the hiragana and katakana, but the kanji and grammar always make my conviction waver.

However... after finishing Grisaia no Kajitsu I am seriously considering 'taking the plunge' so to speak.
Old 2013-08-30, 20:53   Link #4188
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I see....

Eternal stuff actually got TL-ed? That's a surprise since it isn't as great overall as Eien Shinken
Old 2013-08-30, 21:11   Link #4189
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I see....

Eternal stuff actually got TL-ed? That's a surprise since it isn't as great overall as Eien Shinken
http://www.jastusa.com/yumina/index.html

Yeah, the only reason I bought it was because it has RPG elements in it. Aside from that it looks like a shitty moege.

The combat system is vaguely Eien no Aselia-ish, but the real positive in my mind is that characters can get stats/skill from leveling up (not exactly sure how this works yet), can equip weapon/items and the dungeon crawling that reminds me of Himegari.

You can really tell that Eternal split off from Xuse in that they use the same "color-coded" skills that was present in Aselia: where red = nukes; green = heals/buffs; blue = interrupt/cancel spells ; and black = debuff.

I hope it's a fun game. I'll try to report in at the end of every chapter or two with my thoughts and, if anyone has a question about the game, I'll try to answer it.

I still wish the game had a widescreen option; after playing 'modern' VNs I've been spoiled by it... I loathe going back to the clunky box shape.
Old 2013-08-30, 21:19   Link #4190
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

It's not a kusoge per se....Just that I feel Eternal should reach a deal with Xuse and go back to producing Eien Shinken IMO.

The latter series is floundering quite badly even if Third Destiny seems to hint things are finally coming back on track
Old 2013-08-31, 02:42   Link #4191
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Quote:
http://www.jastusa.com/yumina/index.html

Yeah, the only reason I bought it was because it has RPG elements in it. Aside from that it looks like a shitty moege.

The combat system is vaguely Eien no Aselia-ish, but the real positive in my mind is that characters can get stats/skill from leveling up (not exactly sure how this works yet), can equip weapon/items and the dungeon crawling that reminds me of Himegari.

You can really tell that Eternal split off from Xuse in that they use the same "color-coded" skills that was present in Aselia: where red = nukes; green = heals/buffs; blue = interrupt/cancel spells ; and black = debuff.

I hope it's a fun game. I'll try to report in at the end of every chapter or two with my thoughts and, if anyone has a question about the game, I'll try to answer it.

I still wish the game had a widescreen option; after playing 'modern' VNs I've been spoiled by it... I loathe going back to the clunky box shape.
I wouldn't call Ethereal no Yumina a moege. Well the first half maybe, but the second half... Also this game kinda make you want to finish the game on all difficulty, since finishing on the hardest mode will unlock the true route. Also a warning before hand, if you want to play it again on a lower difficulty after you finish on a harder difficulty, you need to have some weaker skills equiped or else...
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 08:24   Link #4192
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
>_>
How do you expect to reach a large audience if your product is rated AO by the ESRB or PEGI 18?
Otherwise it will get "lost" and lumped together with all the English translated nukige titles
Hence I did say that the parent company first release an all age version on the Japanese market before releasing it on the Western market.
Old 2013-09-01, 13:26   Link #4193
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:

I'm tempted to, but seeing how I was bored onto death with the battles in Aselia... As far as I know, the formula's the same, no?
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 23:15   Link #4194
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
I'm tempted to, but seeing how I was bored onto death with the battles in Aselia... As far as I know, the formula's the same, no?
Yumina is basically dungeon crawling grinding game... especially the forever dreams (yumina FD)
Well the system maybe the same, i nvr play eien but i have played seinarukana, if the battle system is not really different well yes yumina also contains some elements like seinarukana such as the red, blue, black, green things which mostly decides which atk can go through what defense and such ( red being magical power and can atk the green defense which is for physical and blue for interrupting opponent's support and black for mostly all rounder)
Can't really expect for a superb story, but i think it is still fun and interesting to play it, especially seeing the idiot yumina was actually fun...lol
Well for the gameplay things maybe you mustn't really compare it with eushully or alicesoft
And plus point for me with shizuka ito (hinagiku) as the seiyuu
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:26   Link #4195
styr

@Dark Faith: Michiru-sama, the battles are similar in concept to the battles in Aselia. The gameplay is much more complex however and there's a large difficulty spike in the latter portion of the game.

To some it might be boring but I think it's a decent time waster. VNs with actual strategy are so rare that even the slower-paced ones like Yumina interest me. I'm so glad that the CTRL button speeds up the battle sequences or I'd go insane.

In fact Yumina could possibly be called too complex. Without my experience with Aselia I'd probably be lost. The tutorials are underwhelming and reading the manual is almost a must at times to understand what some things do... and even then some things aren't explained at all. I took a screenshot and cropped out a part of the manual that explains all the various status effects, you can see it here.

Like Aselia, you "equip" skills from a pool of options, with 3 types of skills and a massive pool of possible effects. Each color also affects something called "audience" which is basically a meter split into the 4 colors; skills of a certain color generally subtract from its color and boost the other colors slightly.

Characters also level up and each character has an ability tree (think talents), with most of the skills in the game requiring certain advancement to be able to use.

Not to mention characters can equip up to 3 items to boost their stats and it quickly adds up. It's quite a bit more complex than Aselia, for what it's worth.

I'm still only on the 3rd chapter (out of 8) so I can't really do a proper review/summary, which I plan to do upon completion. So far though it seems like I should be able to squeeze out a month or so of my time since I plan on doing all 3 routes and can only play a few hours a day.

Oh, and Michiru's VA also voices one of the heroines in Yumina. It's not Michiru's "usual" voice though - which is a shame - although I suppose her 'normal' voice wouldn't fit the character she plays.

Last edited by styr; 2013-09-02 at 04:36. Reason: Mitch > Sachi
Old 2013-09-02, 06:58   Link #4196
The_Green

So, I got Yumina, and I think it s pretty good. Tough not what I expected. I like eroge(s?) that have a plot like Yumina. Mainly, because it is a comedy eroge. I'm not really into the super serious plot type of eroge. I knew from the demo that there was going to be some RPG elements, but did not know about the dungeon crawling. Personally I could do with out the dungeon crawling bit. After the second time of grinding, it becomes boring and tedious. But you have to do it. Actually, when I played the demo I thought this would be similar to MGQ. While the combat does share its similarities, the dungeon crawling is what makes it different.

Shortly after I bought this game and started playing it I found out there were difficulties. What I didn't know is that playing them on different difficulties would unlock different things. I really didn't want to play this game all the way through 3 time to get the true ending, with it getting harder each time. I mainly play these game for the stories. So, finding that out is kind of a kick to face. On thing also that I disappointed about is the lack of H-scenes so far. There is the Miano Librarian chick's H-scene at the beginning of the game, but now I'm 6 chapters out of 9 or 10 into the game and have yet to see another H-scene. Now, I'm not expecting to see the Main heroines H-scenes until later in the game, but I thought I would be getting to see some of the other females H-scenes as I defeated them in the debates. I know for a fact the the shrine maidens and the student council president have H-scenes. I tried really hard to get them. I spent hours going back and forth between saves selecting different choices to get their H-scenes. I came back with nothing. Do I need to be on a different difficulty? Which, by the way, you can't change during your first play-thru. The game made it seem like you would sex up each female you defeated. I really want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

I really like getting H-scenes. H-scenes are like my proof of progression when it comes to eroge. When I'm not getting them, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. And at this point a know I really haven't said much positive stuff about the game, but I still really like. I find the characters likable, while sometimes the stereotypical. The first half of the game is a good comedy story that hints to a darker side. Which I like. But the second half gets a bit more serious and a lot of stuff that was being kept hidden from the main character comes into light. Even, while that is happening, the humor still remains, and it is not all darkness and gloom, but the darkness is still there. Even, thought I said I don't like stuff that is super serious, I actually like this. I mean it is not constantly serious all the. The break from the humor is good.

With all that said, I have yet to complete a play-thru yet. I'm looking forward to what has yet to come.
The_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 14:35   Link #4197
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

To get a H-scene from the sub characters you need to see a specific certain chain of scene in each chapter. You know when you on the right track when Ayumu gets a skill. After you get that skill you need to use that skill at least once in the battle at the end of the chapter.
PhoenixG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 07:54   Link #4198
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

A few impressions as usual.
1) PriministAr: It has the usual hook-soft-feeling and PriministArs MC carries the "annoying" donkan trait from other titles proudly with him. Character-wise most girls are very likeable, especially the support characters Koito and Yume.
Spoiler for just to be safe:
But ignoring his denseness, Haruchika's actually pretty decent. Skilled in handicrafting and has his firm dream/future goal based on it. Personally, PriministArs style of jokes and humor isn't that much my taste, but if you enjoy(ed) hook-soft's titles, you may give it a go.

2) Marmelade's Hoshi no On Sanctuary: The basic premisse is actually quite similar to Koiken Otome. Masato is imho a nice-developed MC and not as useless in battle as Koiken's MC (or marmelade could just hid it better *lol*). The common route was pretty decent with the required character development within that story section. The necessary drama/seriousness during the character route was kept short, which is positive for me. The bad? Past h-scene one, the other scenes feel (as in other VNs) wildly thrown in/random. The character stories are up to personal taste and I haven't finished them, yet.
-----
Zutto suki shite: I still haven't finished a single route, but I guess to get an overall impression that's not *that* necessary.
Play it if you like: the characters, ecchi, lovey-dovey.
Avoid it if you like: story, seriousness, drama
The premisse is exactly like you can find it on various synopsises like Micchi's blog, vndb (which are based on the blog's summary) etc. With ~ 10 h-scenes per heroine it really feels more like a nukige, but its sweet atmosphere and normal lovey-dovey scenes make it more enjoyable in my case .

Personally, games like Zutto suki shite, Fureraba, Lover Able are that enjoyable because the setting simply doesn't require a dense main character and other drama-provoking settings (coughlovetrianglecough). On the other hand, this can make one be spoiled when returning to other VNs, which have (more) story.
Old 2013-09-07, 01:22   Link #4199
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Just got Yumina, played a bit. So far, I'm finding it funny and entertaining, and the battles are decent - a bit more fleshed out and it feels easier to setup and fight compared to Eien no Aselia. The difference charas using and generating approval in different quantities also forces you to keep shaking up your units; I find I normally Cycle Ayumu, then Yumina, then Kirika so far, in order to keep my approval use at manageable levels.

It's a little slow but still decently playable on my 7-year old laptop (2ghz AMD K6, Radeon 1100 Express, 1 gig ram)... and runs smoothly like lightning on my gaming rig that plays Crysis and Skyrim, lol.

For Extra fun, I mute the ingame music and use SRW music for battles. So Close, Yet So Far makes every battle turn from "Meh, another one?" into "COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HARD ENOUGH!"

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2013-09-07 at 09:28.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 21:20   Link #4200
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Playing Tsujidou-san no Virgin Road with a big grin glued to face. I missed Shounan so much.

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel