AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-12-07, 10:05   Link #1181
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoriu View Post
It occurs to me that, in the TV series, Homura tried to save all the other four girls alone. She failed in each and every case (Madoka saved herself, the other 3 died). Movie 3 is the complete opposite. The 4 girls joined forces (plus Nagisa/Bebe) to save Homura, and succeeded without too much trouble.
Yeah but Homura was fighting freaking Walpurgisnacht, so there's no comparison. Besides, Homura did try to recruit Kyouko to help her. It didn't work out, but she did try, so it's not like she wanted to do everything alone.
Old 2013-12-07, 10:12   Link #1182
Monoriu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah but Homura was fighting freaking Walpurgisnacht, so there's no comparison. Besides, Homura did try to recruit Kyouko to help her. It didn't work out, but she did try, so it's not like she wanted to do everything alone.
So is there any theory on the relative strength between Walpurgisnacht and Homulily? It seems Homura's witch form should be much stronger than a regular witch. She created a large barrier which contains an entire city. And she had hordes of familiars. But she still requires a barrier; Walpurgisnacht does not.
Monoriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 10:22   Link #1183
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoriu View Post
So is there any theory on the relative strength between Walpurgisnacht and Homulily? It seems Homura's witch form should be much stronger than a regular witch. She created a large barrier which contains an entire city. And she had hordes of familiars. But she still requires a barrier; Walpurgisnacht does not.
Well, no matter how strong Homulily is, Sayaka and the others weren't trying to defeat her. They were just keeping her busy while they broke the barrier.

Homura, on the other hand, needed to defeat Walpurgisnacht. A harder mission no matter how you look at it.
Old 2013-12-07, 13:52   Link #1184
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
So is there any theory on the relative strength between Walpurgisnacht and Homulily? It seems Homura's witch form should be much stronger than a regular witch. She created a large barrier which contains an entire city.
I already addressed why the size of her barrier doesn't necessarily mean anything. That aside, by pure Familiar count, I'd argue she was a pretty powerful witch. Probably the strongest besides Walpurgisnacht and Kriemheld Gretchen.
Old 2013-12-07, 14:25   Link #1185
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Finally get to see the movie.

Well, from the spoilers I wasn't really getting everything but now it's fine.
I'm good with the ending as I'm not that surprise with how Homura is handle.

My only complain is that the TV show was much clearer with the facts and the plot.
Though I do get Homura turned into a witch inside her how soul gem and is unable to break free from it, the graphics + the explaination are too messy in the movie.

I saw earlier a discussion on this forum regarding the "I've waited for this moment for so long", or something like that. Well, it's just my opinion, but I don't think it's related to some kind of scheme Homura had regarding Madoka. She clearly wanted to see her once again. She just got a trick in her sleeve at the right time...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 15:21   Link #1186
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It was also great listening to the crowd's responses to scenes. In the pre-screening show with the voice actresses, when Sayaka's VA turns it over to Kyoko's VA, calling her "Sayaka's partner", a loud roar of applause began. Then later, when Sayaka confessed, another roar, then laughter when Nagisa flew by and ruined the moment. Then there was the ending, where Madoka came to retrieve Homura. You heard a lot of "awww" as Madoka said she'd been waiting, then a very audible gasp when Homura made the wicked smile.
Those were basically the exact same reactions that the people in my theater had, I guess I can't really be that surprised though with how popular Sayaka and Kyoko are, even I was smiling over those scenes . Also I think the ending moment shocked a lot of people, it makes sense but no one really saw it coming.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 16:47   Link #1187
LightDragonman

I gotta say, seeing an anime film with a whole bunch of fellow fans is one heck of an experience. We were all ecstatic and/or dumbfounded at the end, and as we were walking out, we were chatting all about how we felt afterwards.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 17:34   Link #1188
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just got home from watching Rebellion.

THE FUCK THOUGH. THE FUCK. WHAT THE FUCK. The movie has sooooo many amazing parts (fuckin Power Rangers/Sailor Moon 5 minute transformation sequence of the Puella Magi Holy Quintet, the roundtable of guessing who was the cake...shit, that was such an adorable scene, Mami vs. Homura, Kyoko being a student, Kyoko and Sayaka bein Magical Girl BFFs, I can go on...). But then Homura...goddammit.

The Madoka Magica app made everyone laugh to tears, including me. And I started the clap that would make everyone clap when credits rolled. Anyone watch the very last scene? :P
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 18:09   Link #1189
Wanderer
Goat

Seeing it in Japan was quite different. It was quiet for the whole movie, as well as after.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 18:11   Link #1190
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Damn. There were many instances of group laughter throughout the movie lol.

Japan ppls are mad serious about their magical gurls.
Old 2013-12-07, 19:54   Link #1191
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
A soul gem gets filled with despair as the magical girl exhausts all her magic in combat. Even in the magical girl wasn't feeling despair, the soul gem still gets corrupted with it.
Not just in combat, it was also stated that they exhaust just a little bit of magic just by continuing to live. (Probably as a side-effect of their bodies being, y'know, technically dead and all that.) So maybe I'm remembering things wrong and it actually was stated that Homura was already at the breaking point when Kyubey enacted his plan, but I got the impression that Kyubey just trapped her Soul Gem and simply waited for it to decay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Damn. There were many instances of group laughter throughout the movie lol.

Japan ppls are mad serious about their magical gurls.
That's just considered common courtesy in Japan though. I've been to plenty of movies here, and never once have I heard the audience make any significant amount of noise during the film. At most I might have heard some faint laughter here and there, or perhaps some young children gasping. (Obviously that wasn't for this movie though... Pretty sure there were no kids in the audience either times, thank goodness.) It's the same way in Norway too, so to me, the idea of audiences loudly reacting to the movie seems just thoroughly annoying.
Old 2013-12-07, 19:56   Link #1192
redgrnbluylw

I saw the film last night as well. I loved every second of it. I mean it when I say that Shaft really did outdo itself this time around. Spectacular. Just spectacular.
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 20:14   Link #1193
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
but I got the impression that Kyubey just trapped her Soul Gem and simply waited for it to decay
That's unlikely. I don't remember if it was stated that she was at the breaking point already, but that's the most plausible explanation. I don't think it would be easy for QB to take Homura's soul gem otherwise. Homura is tougher than other magical girls, after all.
Old 2013-12-07, 21:09   Link #1194
Sagitta_Luminis

Quote:
That's just considered common courtesy in Japan though. I've been to plenty of movies here, and never once have I heard the audience make any significant amount of noise during the film. At most I might have heard some faint laughter here and there, or perhaps some young children gasping. (Obviously that wasn't for this movie though... Pretty sure there were no kids in the audience either times, thank goodness.) It's the same way in Norway too, so to me, the idea of audiences loudly reacting to the movie seems just thoroughly annoying.
just want to confirm, a lot of asian nation, including Japan and my nation, may find loud noise and cheers was annoying------no taboo to an extend (in my nation case). I remember one of my friend get yelled by a man next to him, when we watch Thor 2 because he just "WHISPERING" to me, some theatre even have this kind of sign before the movie start "Please turn of your cellphone, no cheering or clapping, no talking. for your and the others audience enjoyment, thank you"
Sagitta_Luminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 21:19   Link #1195
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:

Yeah, I figured as much. Luckily, there wasn't any loud or annoying disturbances when I watched it.
Old 2013-12-07, 22:12   Link #1196
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta_Luminis View Post
some theatre even have this kind of sign before the movie start "Please turn of your cellphone, no cheering or clapping, no talking. for your and the others audience enjoyment, thank you"
The local theater here in Akita, at least, actually has a little song that plays at the start of screenings... Oh and this movie in particular also had an animated clip repeating all those same requests. I don't know if that was included on international airings though. (And as a side-note, considering my own opinion on this film I found it rather annoying and pretentious how said clip flat-out referred to the movie as "the greatest movie".)
Old 2013-12-07, 22:54   Link #1197
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
The Madoka Magica app made everyone laugh to tears, including me. And I started the clap that would make everyone clap when credits rolled. Anyone watch the very last scene? :P
No...

I ran out once the credits started because I had to drive like an hour and a half to get home What happened?
Old 2013-12-07, 23:49   Link #1198
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

I will post again after I have had more time to think on the movie, but coming out of the theater fresh, my most immediate impressions are about the emotional impact.

I don't think it's possible to examine the Madoka main series without referring to Buddhism and the karmic circle. While I'm not an expert on Buddhism (thus making my argument a bit half baked) I think the comparison between Buddhist concepts and the series is easy to make. I compare the path of the magical girl to samsara, or the endless circle of rebirth and suffering, and Madokami's escape from that to nirvana. In this scheme, Homura's successful use of desire and twisted love to tear and change the laws of karma themselves is really disturbing. Desire and the profane trumping the higher purpose of mastering oneself.

In Homura's words, evil tearing the goddess from her seat.

For a series originally about hope and will conquering adversity, this is a dismaying turnaround.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:04   Link #1199
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYWA View Post
Homura takes the opportunity to nab Madoka, strip her [...] and imprison her
Totally late but, I love the sound of this.

I went to the Tuesday US premiere, and Mitsutoshi Kubota (president of SHAFT) was there to do a short Q&A session. The best part was when he said he considers it a happy ending, but when he asked the audience, about 5 people raised their hand at "happy" and about 200 at "tragic".

He also emphasized that there's zero plans for Madoka in the works, for whatever that's worth.
Old 2013-12-08, 00:24   Link #1200
LightDragonman

Personally, I find the ending to be bittersweet. While it is indeed tragic, and has a downer note to it, it still has hope at the end, with Sayaka and Madoka still retaining a few of their memories.

It's a very Empire Strikes Back sort of conclusion. And I was satisfied by it.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka