AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-05-11, 13:43   Link #1
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Young Animator Training Project (2011)

In a follow up to the 2010 Project, four anime works have each received 38 million yen (about US$470,000) from the "2011 Young Animator Training Project." Just like in 2010, the animation labor group received 214.5 million yen (US$2.65 million) from the Japanese government's Agency for Cultural Affairs, and it distributed most of those funds to studios who train young animators on-the-job.

The four anime in this project (from left to right) are:
Buta - MAL
Puka Puka Juju - MAL
Shiranpuri - MAL
Wasurenagumo - MAL
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 14:31   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I love those images about Buta, it seems like they are taking animal stories to a new level.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 18:29   Link #3
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Buta was fun. Wasuregumo was interesting.
Old 2012-05-12, 03:34   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest the only reason I made this thread was to talk about Wasuregumo:

Spoiler for Wasuregumo:
Old 2012-05-12, 03:56   Link #5
Key Board
Carbon

Spoiler:
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 09:05   Link #6
Dop
Mmmm....

Wasurenagumo was interesting, to say the least. The tale of a seller of historical books, a young girl, and the ancient evil unleashed when the seal on an old book is broken.

Trust me on this, If you have not seen this show yet, do NOT be tempted to read what's under the spoiler tags.

Spoiler for Spider girl, spider girl, does whatever a spider can - no that doesn't rhyme..:

Seriously. Don't read the spoilers, just watch the show, it's excellent.
Arachnophobes need not apply...

Last edited by Dop; 2012-05-12 at 10:47.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 17:42   Link #7
miketyson

I still haven't watched Buta, but Wasurenagumo is just phenomenal, like a perfect short "student film". A story told well and without having to worry about two different kinds of commercial constraints: "making money" (of course), but also "finding an audience" (this is more subtle). This is a little vignette that'd probably fail at the former and has no natural audience (can't say more without spoilers), but it's all the better off for it.

Well worth your 25 minutes or so, I look forward to future creations from all of the staff involved.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 09:28   Link #8
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

is only me who like Wasurenagumo ending?

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 19:59   Link #9
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I hated the ending...
Old 2012-07-17, 08:28   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Puka Puka Juju was just released. I thought it was a really heartwarming short (which was definitely needed after Wasurenagumo...). It was very good.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-07-17 at 08:49.
Old 2012-07-26, 05:56   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just watched Shiranpuri (Minding My Own Business): a very simply story about the need to stand up for friends being bullied. A message that it perhaps not as much heeded as it should be. Amazing how such simple stories can end up being so emotionally engaging. Perhaps it's because of the sheer honesty in their storytelling? Whatever it was, it was incredibly enjoyable to watch Shiranpuri.
Old 2012-07-26, 14:45   Link #12
Blaat

Yeah Shiranpuri was good, although Wasuregumo is still my favourite of the four, the other two I didn't care about.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:18   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Just watched Shiranpuri (Minding My Own Business): a very simply story about the need to stand up for friends being bullied. A message that it perhaps not as much heeded as it should be. Amazing how such simple stories can end up being so emotionally engaging. Perhaps it's because of the sheer honesty in their storytelling? Whatever it was, it was incredibly enjoyable to watch Shiranpuri.
I think the authenticity of having real kids in the cast helps with the emotional engagement a great deal.

I agree this was quite good. Simple and straightforward, but a message that does need to be repeated often enough so that it's hard for people to ignore it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 06:59   Link #14
Dop
Mmmm....

Having seen all four I have to say that Wasurenagumo was by far and above my favourite.

Buta was good fun, and quite easy to see how you could spin a series off the characters.
Puka Puka Juji was heartwarmingly sweet, really.

Shiranpuri came across as one of those very worthy and moral shows you'd stick on in early tea-time kids' programming. Still good, and would definitely get its message across, and the animation style suited it.

Wasurenagumo clinches it for me though because of the ending, which I genuinely didn't see coming.

Kudos to the Japanese government for encouraging young talent. Does anyone know if there's a 2012 project?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 05:58   Link #15
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Does anyone know if there's a 2012 project?
There is. The titles and studios have been announced last month. They'll be done by GONZO (lol), Trigger, Pierrot and MADHOUSE.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 10:11   Link #16
Warm Mist

Trigger project by You Yoshinari involving "little witches" = Instant watch.

Search in your heart, you know this is true.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote