Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-08, 14:48   Link #1
SpikeSpencer
Friendly Neighborhood Nub

Send a message via AIM to SpikeSpencer
Other titles like KGNE

While I watch anything and everything I can, this show was awesome ...and even tho there are some great titles coming out now and some I am still following, I am in search of other show like KGNE.

I've watched the obvious, and so dont waste your breath with the linsenced stuff. But I am hesitant to start some of the shows subbed now or a little while ago without someone giving a good review for me... The reason I watched KGNE wa because of this forum, and I want to follow the same system as it turned out so great last time .

Well, enough rambling, do people have suggestions to shows in the same mode as KGNE? Thanks in advance ^^
Old 2004-04-08, 15:41   Link #2
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Not sure if this is close to KGNE or not, have you seen:

- Maria sama ga Miteru - drama about the girls at Lilian private school, about their love and friendship between friends. ^^

Altho you said you seen most licensed stuffs, but have you seen:

- Marmalade Boy - clasic drama about relationship between 2 sibling who are in love. A tearjerker show. ^^
- Hana Yori Dango - clasic drama about a girl who come from a really poor family who attend a prestigious school. Coming from a lower status she was looked down by her peers. Twist of fate she fell in love with a boy who come from a really rich family but gapped by social status. A must see series if you enjoy drama. ^^
Old 2004-04-08, 19:07   Link #3
7thMethuselah

try
Kanon : Yuuichi is a 16-17 year old boy who has lived with his parents for a while, but in order to go to the high school he goes to, he moves to his aunt's house, in a completely different town. The only thing he remembers is that he left that same town 7 years ago. Soon, Yuuichi finds himself entangled in a many problems. He barely remembers what he did with his cousin, Nayuki, and the relationship they had. Then, more and more people (all of them girls) come to Yuuichi with their own secrets of the past. A very touching anime, dealing with very true emotions.

Da Capo : Junichi Asakura lives with his adoptive sister Nemu in the crescent-shaped island of Hatsune Jima, a place where cherry blossoms bloom throughout the year. In this island, people have mysterious powers and attributes. For example, Junichi has the power to see other people's dreams, and he was also taught by his grandmother to magically create sweets. One day, Junichi's cousin and childhood friend, Sakura Yoshino came back from America all of a sudden. To Junichi's surprise, she looks exactly the same as the girl that moved away six years ago, and hasn't aged one bit. And she came back to remind Junichi of their childhood promise... It is a bittersweet tale of magic, love, hidden desires, and unattainable dreams.
First half of DC is rather light, second half is awesome.
Old 2004-04-08, 21:11   Link #4
PhrezaBum

Being that I cant add to the list that is already in place, I will still second the two listed that I have seen.

Kanon doesnt sit nearly as high as KGNE on my list but it was still a very good series. It did throw some unexpected curves throughout the series and had some fantasy elements to it but over all an enjoyable show. Doesn't hurt that Nayuki has purple hair - me likey purple hair.

Maria sama ga Miteru is one I havent yet finished (only seen the first 6 eps, 3-6 today in fact), but thus far it has been excellent. I had my reservations when I started this series (both from the opening creds and the summary on animenfo); however, after the first ep I was much anticipating the next. Its hard to describe why I like this series so much, I just do.

*edit: just a quick grammar fix
Old 2004-04-09, 00:36   Link #5
SpikeSpencer

I tryed Kanon but didnt like the character design and it kinda lost me with that...

I recent decided to d/l Maria sama ga Miteru ..I watched part of the first epsiode and got pulled away ..havent finished it yet ...but I got the feeling and this is purely speculation as I cant judge is for the first half of the first episode but is it just about girls ? Not sure how I feel, as a guy, about an entire show about the relationships between girls, no offense
Old 2004-04-09, 00:44   Link #6
Secca
nya`
*Artist

What's wrong with relationship between girls, KGNE also has relationship between girls. ^^
Old 2004-04-09, 02:31   Link #7
SpikeSpencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
What's wrong with relationship between girls, KGNE also has relationship between girls. ^^

Well, I'd think it would be great if I was a girl and/or was intrigued by these "said" relatioships ..but honestly I need something more then that ..and while KGNE definately had some of these relationships wasnt it primarily about Takayuki... no matter really, Ill give it a chance regardless
Old 2004-04-09, 04:31   Link #8
sothis

i strongly disagree with a recommendation of marimite being made for kgne. the two are literally nothing alike, except for the fact that they both deal with relationships. completely different pacing, mood, story, everything.

that being said, i have seen nothing on the same level, at all, and i think you will have a really hard time finding recommendations that are actually good for what you want (and aren't just attempts at finding other good relationship shows). it's kind of like asking for similar series to berserk.. it just doesn't exist, really. i am guessing you liked kgne because of its dynamic nature, it's mood swings, its ability to suck you in and make you enthralled in the plight of the characters, etc. it definitely excels in what it ended up being, but it isn't a generic concept... there isn't anything else like it.

that being said, i am told that the closest thing is kare kano, which i haven't seen yet. i am told by many that although it doesn't come close, it still is somewhat similar and would be enjoyable if you liked kgne (so i will probably finally watch it soon).

the moral of the story? don't look for similar series to kgne, because it's in a class of its own

the ONLY thing i will make as a personal recommendation, as far as sad romance type series, is Hoshi no Koe (click for a descrip and screens). but again, it isn't similar to kgne in most aspects.. just that its a really beautiful, sad love story.
Old 2004-04-09, 04:35   Link #9
sothis

oh, and this link might help you as well. it is the recommendation list specifically for KgNE, though it basically mirrors some of the sentiments in the thread already (hana yori dango, kare kano, hoshi no koe, etc)

again, i wouldn't take this completely to heart, since kgne is in a class of its own.
Old 2004-04-09, 06:04   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Oh here is some more, if you haven't seen this:

- Shingetsutan Tsukihime - vampires and supernatural
- Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito - tales and fantasy

Both series have their own unique story and theme, but they do share something in common with kgne. Touching love story. ^^
Old 2004-04-09, 09:55   Link #11
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Definitely give Kita He ~Diamond Dust Drops~ a try. It's a very warm and very realistic series with some romance and sad stories. It's one of my recent favorite, more than KGNE!

Oh, and definitely try Hoshi no Koe, it's simply one of the best original romance tragedy IMO, very unique idea and almost perfect presentation.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:05   Link #12
SpikeSpencer

Thanks for the replies ...I own Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou and love it ...so Id suggest you view it as well ..its a great show ...as for the other suggestions Ill definately try em ..my mind is open for most anything ...

Sothis ...i certainly agree that KGNE was on a different level and I am certainly not asking for a show in the same model but in the same genre that I might have not tryed because of lack of exposure... Shingetsutan Tsukihime was good and ive yet to see the other titles so thanks for the info
Old 2004-04-14, 14:22   Link #13
Ghorticus

Send a message via AIM to Ghorticus Send a message via Yahoo to Ghorticus
Ok this is a stretch, but if you haven't yet seen it, you have to check out Full Moon wo Sagashite... I am only half way through, and it is one of my all time favourite anime, for sure... It's not the same style as KGNE, but is also a beautiful, emotional story.

Other than that, there really isn't much like KGNE out there in terms of style or quality, in my opinion. I also would recommend Pretear, Fruits Basket, Marmalade Boy, Da Capo, Ayashi no Ceres, Boys Be, etc.
Old 2004-04-15, 02:06   Link #14
The1Voices
Banned

Send a message via AIM to The1Voices
If you want an anime with the same emotion as KGNE then with out a doubt you shoud watch Onegai Twins if you loved KGNE then youll love Onegai Twins.
Closed Thread