AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 19:42   Link #81
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, I'm finally first dan at tenhou.net. Has anyone here been playing for a while there?

My offer to set up an AS Mahjong party still stands BTW.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-07-13 at 20:32.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 20:20   Link #82
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I've played on Tenhou for about two years, and Japanese mahjong in general for around two and a half. JPM didn't exist in the West until Akagi was fully translated, and people didn't really start playing until SaiGar 2007.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 05:57   Link #83
Battler-kun

How dou play for rankings in tenhou.net?

Do you need to register?
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 07:07   Link #84
Proto

Yup, that's actually all you need to do
Old 2009-07-14, 07:13   Link #85
Cipher

Is chinese mahjong japanese mahjong?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 07:41   Link #86
Battler-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Yup, that's actually all you need to do
And how do you register?

I can't read any signs .
Old 2009-07-14, 07:53   Link #87
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, I'm finally first dan at tenhou.net. Has anyone here been playing for a while there?

My offer to set up an AS Mahjong party still stands BTW.
I'm been playing since May, i.e, after a few episodes of Saki.

Actually went all the way to 5th-Dan, but dropped rank after undergoing a very bad streak of luck (8 consecutives losses), and I experienced it three times (after that I won a few games again) before I really dropped back to 4th-Dan.

How do we arrange timing and stuff on tenhou? I'm always free, anytime, anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Is chinese mahjong japanese mahjong?
No. The rules are different even though the basic stuff are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
And how do you register?

I can't read any signs .
Use this to help you.

http://arcturus.su/tenhou/login.html
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 08:00   Link #88
Battler-kun

Thanks for the manual.

Also, where do you usually play?

Room7447? I have some connection problems with that.....
I usually play room 1-4
Old 2009-07-14, 14:19   Link #89
Battler-kun

Ranked 7 Kyuu now .

But still, i have no plans about scoring, point counting which is not that important as long as you are winning imo.....
Well, i don't know most of the various combinations of hand to beginn with....looked it up, but my brain don't want to memorize it.

Also, any tips for the beginning, how to play by the pros, things you wished you would have known earlier?
Old 2009-07-14, 14:21   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why is point counting important? if I remember there was some focus in Saki on it, but no details why.
Old 2009-07-16, 09:17   Link #91
Battler-kun

@Cats:
We all start with 25000 points....so i think to determine who wins after 4/8 rounds.
Also if you are gonna drop to negative points, the game also instantly ends.

I reached 6 kyuu now.

But now, i can't see anymore games but a link (where i should pay).

I am using the flash version. Can't i play it any longer without paying?
Old 2009-07-16, 12:08   Link #92
Proto

When you log in you should choose the economy version instead of the premium one (There is the ID, the genre field and finally the economy/premium field, there's where you choose it).

@Peanutbutter003: Sorry I ddin't see your message, I'm free all day today.

Quote:
But still, i have no plans about scoring, point counting which is not that important as long as you are winning imo.....
Well in that case you are pretty much playing like Yuki It's also good to know, for example if you are losing how much big of a hand you need to recover. If there's a risky tile you have to deal you can measure the level of riskiness by estimatting how big your opponent hand is and the such, whether it's worthy to risk it for a low or high payoff hand etc.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-07-16 at 12:28.
Old 2009-07-17, 12:24   Link #93
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Some friend of mine got a... very peculiar furiten case, as follow:

We both know the 3 conditions for a furiten, yet this situation looks very bizarre.
As you can see, he declared riichi with a prepared sanshoku iipeko.
There can only be 1 wait (6 pin). None of them discarded any pin tile, except South CPU and it is a completely unrelated one, 7 pin (unless west guy actually had a 9 pin instead of a second 8).

So the thing is: why did he get a furiten here?
The riichi was done a while ago (no issue with haitei), without any discarded pin except 5 pin, but still the rest isn't a winning tile either I believe (thus no self furiten). Yet, why can't he claim the 6 pin here?
Old 2009-07-17, 12:47   Link #94
Proto

Because he can also win with the 9pin, which he did discarded.
Old 2009-07-17, 14:10   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I always thought you are in furiten when you (or any other player) discarded the tile during the go round (temporary furiten), previously discarded tile by your own (furiten applied on this tile only) or starting when you declared riichi (any overlooked winning tile => permanent furiten).

But a winning tile that was discarded way before, if you are trying to ron something totally unrelated? Now that, I don't get it since I always believed that furiten prevents you to claim the very same time you discarded previously.
The only kind of furiten that disallow you to claim a win with a tile that should make you win (even if it wasn't your objective) is during the riichi. But normally, the "already discarded" condition should apply a furiten only on that very tile, no?
I understand he wouldn't be able to ron if it was 9 pin, but 6..? That's pretty nasty then.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-17 at 14:28.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 14:31   Link #96
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Since the 9 was a tile he could win with that he also had discarded, it put him into a furiten where he could only win via tsumo.

Even if he could have taken the 6 pin, he would've had to pay the chombo penalty (assuming the game he played had that).

As for Tenhou, I'm ranked 二段 but I am otherwise a terrible player who can't read what a person has and who often deals into big-paying hands. T_T

A question about the stats Tenhou keeps track of (picture included)

I know the first number (398) is the total number of han chan sessions, the -1.22 is the average score and the 2.5-whatever is the average finishing position. The things that have 1, 2, 3, 4 look to be percentages of when I finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. The other stat under the 4 (with the kanji for wing or flight) appears to be a percentage of when I finish a session with a negative point total. It seems that of the four percentages on the bottom, one keeps track of how often I declare riichi and another keeps track of how often I actually tsumo/ron. Not sure of the rest.

Twitter

Last edited by whitepearl; 2009-07-17 at 14:43. Reason: too many typos =(
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-17, 15:55   Link #97
Proto

Quote:
But a winning tile that was discarded way before, if you are trying to ron something totally unrelated? Now that, I don't get it since I always believed that furiten prevents you to claim the very same time you discarded previously.
The only kind of furiten that disallow you to claim a win with a tile that should make you win (even if it wasn't your objective) is during the riichi. But normally, the "already discarded" condition should apply a furiten only on that very tile, no?
I understand he wouldn't be able to ron if it was 9 pin, but 6..? That's pretty nasty then.
The idea is to allow the other players to further narrow what your hand can be. There's such a thing as a suji. For example, if you discarded a 4 of words, the suji for when you are tenpai would be the 1 of words and 7 of words. That means that you are telling the other players that you aren't on a 1 and 4 or a 4 and 7 wait. That allows people to more or less estimate if a tile is safe when you don't have any obvious ones.

Actually, even if you are in a multiple tile wait, say you are waiting on 4 word tiles and a honor tile ( a 5 way wait) but you did discarded that honor tile previously, you are in furiten unless you change your wait.) If you are watching Saki, this is what happened to Nodoka during the 3rd hand of the south round of the first hanchan of the finals.

@whitepearl: The first one is for how often you win. The second is for how often you deal into other people's hands. The third one stands for overall (whathever that means). The last one stands for riichi

Outrageous hand of the day:

Counted yakuman o_o

Hey proto! You are always showing us other people's hands! How about yours!

As usual, I'm only the "almost there" man.

Tenpai from su anko. Even if someone had fed me the winning tile those 3 doras were looking nice
Old 2009-07-17, 16:53   Link #98
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Proto, thanks.

The "overall" does seem to be the sum of my "ron/tsumo" percentage with the percentage I deal into someone's hand. So I guess the overall just measures the percentage of "something" that happens to me during a game?

I think I once had a SanBaiMan hand solely because of possessing multiple doras...it was quite awesome.

"suji" refers to safe tiles? I was a little confused when I heard that term used in Saki a lot during one of the recent episodes.

Twitter
Old 2009-07-17, 17:01   Link #99
Battler-kun

Man, i am such a noob.

I am often in Tenpai, but can't win cause my hand is worth nothing...
Old 2009-07-17, 17:11   Link #100
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

I remember when I first started playing Japanese Mahjong years ago, my family and I couldn't figure out why we couldn't win certain hands, as we were familiar with the less strict rules of Chinese mahjong.

This site should be very helpful in helping you understand the concept of yaku:

http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/yaku/yaku.htm

Twitter

Tags
mahjong