AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-26, 19:59   Link #1
king12354

Don't know what to watch anymore

I'm lacking the ability to find anymore quality animes that suit my tastes. So I need your help.

Don't bother mentioning any mechas (I watched NGE when I started getting into anime and I still shudder when I think about the 26 eps I wasted) and slice of life (I don't really like slow paced anime (ex. mushishi, haibane renmei).

Horror/mystery isn't too great because they tend to include pointless gore and bloodshed which I don't like unless there is a reason behind it. Some good ones include (Death Note, Darker than black). Bad ones(Monster, I didn't like how it tried to be realistic yet unrealistic things happen. Frustrating to watch so I stopped at like ep. 10. Elfen Lied-I seriously don't think this anime deserves as much praise as everyone is giving it, all I saw were gore and nudity and a stupid main character(the boy, I forgot his name).)

No stupid comedy with no plots please.(Ex. School Rumble)

I basically want a good story with good animation(so no animes that are really old).
Here are animes I liked a lot:
Gungrave (really underrated)
Tsubasa Chronicles (underrated)
Shakugan No Shana
Fate/stay Night
Kanon 2006
Air
5cm per second
Canvas 2

Good ones:
Suzumiya Haruhi
Da Capo
Claymore(up until the end)
sola
Zero no tsukaima(s1)
REC
plenty more I can't remember

Current ones I'm watching that I like:
ef tale of memories(best show of season, underrated as well)
Clannad
Bleach
Naruto
Hayate no Gotoku
Kaiji

I'm also thinking I made a few people angry with my remarks

Last edited by king12354; 2007-12-26 at 20:47.
Old 2007-12-26, 23:33   Link #2
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
ef tale of memories(best show of season, underrated as well)

i seriously want to stress this one. Ef is on par with kanon in terms of character and story development
Old 2007-12-27, 14:01   Link #3
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
i seriously want to stress this one. Ef is on par with kanon in terms of character and story development
To be honest, i think ef might be better than kanon in most categories including art, and music. But i can't compare everything since the storytelling is different.
Old 2007-12-27, 14:19   Link #4
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well we all know what I'm going to recommend, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and SaiKano.

All I can say for Elfen Lied is that we all have different interpretations of anime and my interpretation puts Elfen Lied as one of the best I've seen. That's all.
Old 2007-12-27, 14:28   Link #5
mdauben

Quote:
Fate/stay Night
Tsukihime Lunar Legend - Another series based on a Type-MOON game. Vampires, mystery and romance.

Quote:
5cm per second
Check out Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, both by the same creator (Makoto Shinkai) as 5cm. The first title is technically a mecha anime, but the mecha is really secondary to the characters and their story.

Quote:
Shakugan No Shana
I'm going to throw out a couple ideas that might supprise some people. Seirei no Moribito and Crest of the Stars. Neither of them are really too much like Shana as far as the story goes, but the dynamic of the relationship between the main characters (strong, forceful female paired with a weaker, more reserved male) are similar enough that if that is what you found interesting about Shana, you may like them, too.
Old 2007-12-27, 15:12   Link #6
Saleh
Inactive

I would have recommended you Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku Hen was almost a masterpiece in its genre but its fairly old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354
ef tale of memories
clannad
Canvas 2
You may enjoy Kimikiss which is another romance/drama/comedy anime airing this season. It doesn't have emotional turmoil (atleast at this point) like Ef or KyoAni atmosphere like clannad but it has fairly enjoyable and consistent plot with a likeable cast and if its given more time, it will nearly meet your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
Strangely I though that it was a bit overrated. It is certainly a very good anime with one of the best animation quality this season but the series overall rating would falls a bit behind Blue Drop.
Old 2007-12-27, 15:34   Link #7
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well we all know what I'm going to recommend, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, and SaiKano.

All I can say for Elfen Lied is that we all have different interpretations of anime and my interpretation puts Elfen Lied as one of the best I've seen. That's all.
Well I seen KGNE, it was too depressing so I stopped watching it after seven eps. For Saikano, I really didn't like the idea of a girl/machine warrior or w/e so I didn't like that one as well. And I seen Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, it was between an okay/good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Tsukihime Lunar Legend - Another series based on a Type-MOON game. Vampires, mystery and romance.

Check out Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, both by the same creator (Makoto Shinkai) as 5cm. The first title is technically a mecha anime, but the mecha is really secondary to the characters and their story.

I'm going to throw out a couple ideas that might supprise some people. Seirei no Moribito and Crest of the Stars. Neither of them are really too much like Shana as far as the story goes, but the dynamic of the relationship between the main characters (strong, forceful female paired with a weaker, more reserved male) are similar enough that if that is what you found interesting about Shana, you may like them, too.
I seen Tsukihime and liked it. I'll watch Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days someday but they are just too short =[.

I thought Seirei no Moribito went too slowly first four episodes and I stopped watching after that. Crest of the Stars doesn't seem to suit my tastes.

Thanks for trying though. My tastes seem hard to please =\.

I seen the Kenshin OVAs before and yeah, it was a masterpiece. KimiKiss Pure Rouge is slice of life isn't it? I seen the first episode but the story moved too slowly and it had a lot of cliche stuff in it(childhood friend returning...).
Old 2007-12-27, 17:11   Link #8
mdauben

Quote:
I thought Seirei no Moribito went too slowly first four episodes and I stopped watching after that.
A daring rescue, an assasination plot, a running spear fight at 6:1 odds and the near-death of the lead character? It seemed like a lot happened in the first four eps to me, but if it didn't grab you, it didn't. I can't really argue with that.

Quote:
Crest of the Stars doesn't seem to suit my tastes.
Well, its not for everyone. It's one of my favorite series, but I know some people who found it boring due to the extreamly low-keyed relationship of the main characters.

Quote:
KimiKiss Pure Rouge is slice of life isn't it?
I would call it more of a harem romantic comedy, myself (which almost guarantees lots of cliches and stereotypes).

Sorry I could not suggest anything to match what you were looking for.
Old 2007-12-27, 20:01   Link #9
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
EF ~a tale of memories~

Strangely I though that it was a bit overrated. It is certainly a very good anime with one of the best animation quality this season but the series overall rating would falls a bit behind Blue Drop.

meh, blue drop was good. but i'm not into yuri anyways =)

clannad is a good watch too. the first KEY anime that made me laugh out loud
(mostly from tomoya's sidekick)
Old 2007-12-28, 05:48   Link #10
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
Gankutsuou is a quality anime with a fantastic story and I cannot recommend it enough.

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Old 2007-12-28, 12:24   Link #11
magic01

try seto no hanayome its something like school rumble
Old 2007-12-28, 13:21   Link #12
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Gankutsuou is a quality anime with a fantastic story and I cannot recommend it enough.
Hmm, I'll check it out.

And magic01, I said I didn't like school rumble. But i did watch Seto no Hanoyome and it was good but it had an unsatisfactory ending imo.
Old 2007-12-28, 21:25   Link #13
magic01

Quote:
Hmm, I'll check it out.

And magic01, I said I didn't like school rumble. But i did watch Seto no Hanoyome and it was good but it had an unsatisfactory ending imo.
oh sorry my bad
Old 2007-12-28, 23:24   Link #14
maple
Anime Dai~Suki

funny with nice plot:
Nodame Cantabile
Ouran High School Host Club
Midori no Hibi
Onegai Twins
Futakoi Alternative

fast pace Mystery:
Dennou Coil
Paranoia Agent
Zegapain - its Mecha but not important part.
Old 2007-12-29, 04:06   Link #15
blewin

Baccano!: it's bloody and gory, but the way it develops is pretty original. 13 episodes with past, present and future shuffled within each episode. You feel like you've seen little yet at the same time you've just watched many interconnecting stories over a long period of time. It's much mroe confusing than Haruhi in terms of the "shuffling technique", but that is part of the greatest fun of watching Baccano. Love the rare setting (German type like FMA), fluid animation and the characters.
Old 2007-12-29, 17:12   Link #16
king12354

Thanks for recommendations, watching Futakoi Alternative now.
Closed Thread