AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-03-09, 21:53   Link #2261
Peterbigeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
Considering how graphic and huge the actual game file is, its a definite no. There might be a game called plus or something that will come out on the psp, but that was rumors
Awwww man.. I was so looking forward to it
Peterbigeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:01   Link #2262
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
I just went and picked up my english copy of FFXIII, seeing as I already beat it in Japanese with minimal to medium lost in translation. Thought I would get a language that I could fully understand and see how off I was during my own translations. So far the the VA's are what seems to bug me the most. Besides the VA's of Lightning and Sazh the rest of the characters are lacking what I would call... "talent?" They seem to be doing pretty horrible compared to the 2, But besides that nothing different so far and I can enjoy the game as is.
I believe that aside from, ironically enough, the three western animes (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun), the VAing in any anime/JRPG is infinitely better in Japanese than with English.

Heck, just playing through the Last Remnant (again), and from what little Japanese I do know, the translators took so many liberties with meaning, not to mention that the VAing in English is just ewwww...I mean case in point, the Seven were just a serious case of Feed Me/Large Ham in their English identities.
Old 2010-03-09, 22:05   Link #2263
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Okay, now there lots of positive impressions GFAQs. Looking forward to picking up my copy tomorrow.
Yeah there were a lot of negative notes because people didn't have they're hands on the game and just went with what other people said. Then decided that since they said the game was linear and lacked in what other Final Fantasy's offered they decided to bash the game. Its just all monkey see monkey do, until they actually got they're hands on the game and enjoyed it. With what the game lacks they make up with other gameplay features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbigeyes View Post
Yeah, when you see FF games they usually won't be for PSP unless its one of the tactic games or side story games. Everything else will always be for the new generation platforms. Seeing as how graphic heavy the new Square Enix games have been, I doubt a UMD drive can handle it.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:16   Link #2264
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
So far, so good.

I can see why people railed about Vanille so much. About 6 hours in, I'd guess. But I probably play slower than most.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:17   Link #2265
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I believe that aside from, ironically enough, the three western animes (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun), the VAing in any anime/JRPG is infinitely better in Japanese than with English.

Heck, just playing through the Last Remnant (again), and from what little Japanese I do know, the translators took so many liberties with meaning, not to mention that the VAing in English is just ewwww...I mean case in point, the Seven were just a serious case of Feed Me/Large Ham in their English identities.
Have to completely agree with you there. I've had a hate for most dubs. The thing is for me with Dubs, if I've watched/played the Japanese version before I watched/played the dubbed version then I have a huge hate for it. But if I haven't touched the Japanese version before the dubbed then for some odd reason everything doesn't turn to utter crap for me.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 22:29   Link #2266
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Bought it today i've played about 30 mins so far i had to do some homework :'( . But so far i love the graphics but the camera is so annoying .
Old 2010-03-09, 22:36   Link #2267
Kazu
Flowing

I'm lovin it, The gameplay is fast and simple, I kinda thought you'd be able to move the characters though.
The graphics are amazing especially on my flat screen

I might actually finish this game,I've never played any FF1-9, I beat 10 and I pretty much quit 12
Old 2010-03-09, 22:52   Link #2268
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Okay, now there lots of positive impressions GFAQs. Looking forward to picking up my copy tomorrow.
Yeah seems like there's a lot of positive comments about the game from everywhere now that the game is out and people are actually playing it.

Can't wait to see some sale numbers. I assume most of the people that has been whining about the game will get it eventually =)
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-09, 23:43   Link #2269
H23

Holy shit. The visuals are so amazing I that I wouldn't be surprised if it made a giraffe cry tears of orange juice.

Last edited by H23; 2010-03-10 at 00:07.
H23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 00:47   Link #2270
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Okay, I can now see a benefit to the strategy guide: weapon upgrading.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't want to waste mats.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:01   Link #2271
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
YAY! I squealed when I opened my package XD And so far, my joy over it didn't lessen. I'm like 6 hours in the game now. Not much but I'm already hooked.

Lightning is way more than Squall I'd say. Attitude wise. I also wouldn't pick up the Cloud alikeness if it hadn't been pointed out to me like a hundred times before I got my copy (might just be because they have the same mama ... mama computer). Same with other bad impressions of the game. It's just the start, so I'm far from having an opinion about it, but it made one of the best first impressions on me of a FF yet.

Graphics are awesome of course, but they're always stunning when a FF comes out. What I really like is the presentation of the characters. How the focus shifts from one character to the next, so you get to now them - also in battle. You're forced t play with everyone as the leader. I'm not even through all tutorials I guess

I don't like Vanille's VA either <.< She's too highpitched. I already grew to like the cast, so no complaints there. Lesse how things develop

And OH the music. Masashi has a new fan Listening to the OST right now that came with my copy. Awesomeness! <3 He caught the athmosphere point on.

The linearity; Yeah, all ways uptil know are very linear, but ... who cares? I don't at least, lol. The linear way reminded me a lot of FFX. OH! Specially the beginning, with the bridge in a futuristic street which breaks later .. déja vû . Can't say it bothers me, though. All FFs (but 11 and 12) have been linear, it's always been from A to B. Didn't stop me from enjoying.
But I couldn't help but notice that the paths were originally designed so the player had to jump him/herself. Can't really tell if it's for the better or worse that they took it out.

Well, first impression is VERY positive. I had to force myself to stop playing and still played too long because the time went by too fast. I already have fun with the game and I hope it stays that way.
I like the myth of the worlds and the conflicts (already! xD) between the characters. This title seems very promising, looking forward to the rest of the game
I don't really know what to think about the battle system and chrystellanium (or whatever the F it's called in english xD) yet, until now it's too simpel. The switching of roles reminded me of the character swapping (and thus job change too) in FFX in battle. I love X so similarities aren't meant to be negative.

Off to my college work so I can play after university tomorrow
I think dub directors or whatever have to realize they can't pull off the high pitched Japanese voices in English.
Old 2010-03-10, 02:05   Link #2272
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I guess I'll post my early observations after about an hour and a half of playing:

- Graphics don't seem quite as good as I thought they would. I'm using an HDMI cable on a 1080p capable TV so it's extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with my connections. Maybe it's all the hype or maybe it's just me....probably the latter now that I think about it.

- It seems a Japanese company has finally figured out how to make cutscenes work. So far none of the cutscenes have had that canned feel with awkward motion capture gesturing and Kabuki style dialogue pacing....now it feels a whole lot more casual and realistic if not even a bit Western. There are things going on all throughout them and not only does it feel like they belong in the game as proper exposition, but it makes it all the more easier to be drawn into the story. Hoping other J-Companies take some queues here.

Spoiler for Moms are tough:

- Just when I thought the voice acting in the franchise couldn't get any better after FFXII it did with XIII. Even minor characters like Gadot have top notch voice acting by people that seem to give a damn about making the experience work. Props go out to Snow's VA especially during his early scenes, but also to Lightning for her slight gravel, Sazh for his jive and even Hope. I haven't heard enough of Vanille to judge her so far, but a lot of people don't seem to like her which means I'm sure to be paying special attention to see what the deal is there.

- I love that there are things going on in real time in the background and sometimes even the foreground while you are travelling and it's just another aspect of the presentation that makes it more immersive for me.

Spoiler for The reason the early maps are so linear:

- Great music, but I've already mentioned that

Spoiler for early enemies:

Spoiler for early story and character thoughts:

Yeah so I'm definitely in the early exposition phase of the game and recognize it as well. XII was slow to start and heavy on the exposition for it's first 10 or so hours, so was X, so was IX....all of them pretty much are. It's got that Final Fantasy aspect of twisting around with the core concepts and messing with the people that take things for granted that VIII was legendary for though so I can sort of see why some people aren't so receptive of it. Japan must have been in an uproar knowing how rigid it's fandom is. However I should mention that VIII is my favourite game in the franchise and that anything that screws with peoples preconceptions always gets bonus points with me. Overall so far I'd give the games opening segments a solid A- . However odds are I won't be playing anymore for at least a little bit while I finish up XII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbigeyes View Post
Just a heads up, your signature picture is well over the limit so you ought to resize before it gets removed by one of the mods.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:20   Link #2273
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I guess then this is more of a case of the dubs trying to be 'faithful' to the original by trying to imitate the original voice; it fails vast majority of the time. Happened with Fuuka in P3; yeah, the airy voice sounds like Mamiko's voice, but sounds goddamn awful in English.

As for NA dubs being worse than JP dubs, I wouldn't say its so clear cut. P4's JP VA was just downright horrible for the sole reason of how they did Rise, just to name one.

And I'd take liberties at dubbing any day of the week if it means it isn't like Infinite Undiscovery. The constant screaming of 'CutItOut!' was so awful because they tried to be literal and directly translated 'Yamero!' It works in JP, but man, its so FRIGGIN annoying hearing that over and over again everytime you got hit, to the point that THAT was the reason why I stopped playing the game (and not because of the bad story or whatnot).

That's why I think TLR did great with the dubbing even though it ain't a literal translation; at least it sounds halfway decent, and some where awesome (Gabriel giving off vibes like a certain Spanish swordsman in Princess Bride) or just downright hilarious (Khrynia as a ditzy teenager lol).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:25   Link #2274
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Speak for yourselves folks, I think the voice acting is pretty excellent and now have zero regrets about not having the Japanese track as well. Somehow I get the feeling I wouldn't be as immersed in the game right now if I were playing with a Japanese track.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:40   Link #2275
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Personally, I have yet to play the game, so all I have is to judge from the trailers. Vanille doesn't sound too bad honestly from those, but then again I haven't played the game yet to truly judge anyone's voice acting. But if it is indeed truly atrocious, then I'm blaming it with the dubbers trying to imitate the JP voices, which almost always fails.

That said, Serah NA voice = <3<3<3. Then again, I'm the biggest fan of Laura Bailey lol. Hopefully this game would get her more recognition as a VA; she really did lack a big starring role until now...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 02:43   Link #2276
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I think there just has to be one voice in a game that makes me shake my head. But overall I'd say the group for XIII is actually really good. Definitely makes it nice to follow along when you aren't wanting to mute the screen. If you aren't going to have voice track options then should put a lot of effort in to make sure your actors are good. Still think Vanille will be the weak point of the group, but I'm starting to get used to her. Really like the choice for Serah's voice. Think for most characters you can't help but like the choices made.

Old 2010-03-10, 02:44   Link #2277
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I Loved the scenes of Sarah And Snow
Old 2010-03-10, 03:15   Link #2278
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well I think there just has to be one voice in a game that makes me shake my head. But overall I'd say the group for XIII is actually really good. Definitely makes it nice to follow along when you aren't wanting to mute the screen. If you aren't going to have voice track options then should put a lot of effort in to make sure your actors are good. Still think Vanille will be the weak point of the group, but I'm starting to get used to her. Really like the choice for Serah's voice. Think for most characters you can't help but like the choices made.

Spoiler for spoilers:
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 04:29   Link #2279
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
But so far i love the graphics but the camera is so annoying .
It's something you get used to, don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Speak for yourselves folks, I think the voice acting is pretty excellent and now have zero regrets about not having the Japanese track as well. Somehow I get the feeling I wouldn't be as immersed in the game right now if I were playing with a Japanese track.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they're excellent, though i will agree that the NA dub does fit the characters nicely. Seriously glad, because i wouldn't be as attached to the game as i am now if they weren't.
Old 2010-03-10, 08:15   Link #2280
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
The characterization seems very ridicule, how to explain:

SPOILER:

Vanille start to speak (shouting too) about her defense line for Pulse, because the other hate a place without know it, etc...etc.. and all the others totally ignore her like perfect groggy.
Thanks this basis you understand already one of next "sensational development" like the character in the party had to understand in a second, but...
At last the story is written for japanese people how like to japanese people, but for us, is very....ridicule.
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360