AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-07-03, 17:50   Link #1
Devin

Utada Hikaru

I really like her voice, this jap pop singer. Anyone else like her as well?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 07:57   Link #2
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

You mean Utada Hikaru?
Gravi-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 10:48   Link #3
divarication
zoom zoom zoom

Send a message via AIM to divarication
Utada Hikaru is pretty good. I used to like her more than Ayumi Hamasaki back during their older stuff, but since Ayumi Hamasaki put out her Memorial address album, she's number 1 in my book. Utada Hikaru's still pretty good, but her style's changed from her early "Automatic" days... *shrug*
now playing: HAV - HEY JIMMY!
divarication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:38   Link #4
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
LOL

When I saw this topic, I thought 'Someone finally posted about Hikki's American debut'!

Turns out I was wrong. Anyway, this is pretty much 'old' news, so bear with me -

Utada is Hikki's american release name, for those who didn't know.

Her album name is 'Exodus' and it is reported to come out this fall.

A rumor is that her first single will be out on August 10 entitled "Devil Inside (Club Mix)".

A true fact however is confirmed that on the Olympic cd UNITY she will do a duet with Kiley Dean called "By your side" that is produced by Timbaland. I will probably *gasp* download the song because... Avril Lavigne is doing a cover of 'Knocking on Heaven's Door.'. Yeap. Not getting it for that one reason. *shudder*

Anyway, check out http://www.hikaru-online.net for more news and such. I would recommend her official Island site, but its crap compared to the dedication of this fansite.

And umm.. could you shorten it to 'j-pop' rather than 'jap pop' because 'jap' is a racial slur... kinda like the black 'nigger'.... its your choice of course, but stuff like that offends me. If you must use 'jap' then use 'japanese'.
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:57   Link #5
divarication
zoom zoom zoom

i don't keep up with pop/rap/r&b styles of music much anymore. does kiley dean fall into that category? if so.....*shudder*...my mental image of utada just fell a few notches.
now playing: Evanescence - Whisper
Old 2004-07-05, 15:00   Link #6
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by divarication
i don't keep up with pop/rap/r&b styles of music much anymore. does kiley dean fall into that category? if so.....*shudder*...my mental image of utada just fell a few notches.
now playing: Evanescence - Whisper

I've completely abandoned rap/pop/rock stateside as well (except for the classics) so I can't say I've heard anything beyond what snippets I've seen from her official site (kileydean.com).

The song I heard 'Make me a song' reminds me of Aaliayah... Aaliyah... ? Forgive me, I was never a huge fan of hers, and she sounds R&Bish. Well, given that Timbaland is a hip-hop producer... :lol: Anyway, the lyrics are laughable.

I'm on a mission/Sun is out/My skin is glistenin/Got my jeans on/Tank top, chillin/With my girlfriends/Looking fabulous/My tan is just amazin/Turn it up/That song is blazin

Her voice sounds like Aaliyah's as well to me. Which translates to typical R&B voice. :lol: Sorry if I sound harsh, but since I don't listen to much R&B - er mainstream R&B - they all sound alike. And the only reason I'm using Aaliyah is because she mentioned her in the song and steals the whole 'Rock the Boat' melody/tune/lyrics/ect.

I actually like Timbaland's stuff, (but this song... *shudder*) along with Missy. They're the only rappers I'll give my ears the time of day. Three of Utada's songs are going to be produced by Timbaland. Anyway, American Utada is not going to sound like Japanese Utada. Her 'sound' was called 'hardcore dance' I think... whatever that is. My friend said its basically dance with a stronger bass beat, which just translates into rap beats for me. :lol:

Here's an article I stole from the Hikki forums

-snip-

As Japan's biggest pop star- who is also just a normal student in Manhattan- Utada Hikaru has the best of both worlds. But for how much longer?

By Jeffrey Rotter
Nylon Magazine; June/July 2004

The woman in this picture led a double life. In New York City, her hometown, she's a Tolstoy fan who just took a leave of absence from Columbia University. She's unassuming, even a bit bookish. She shops at Gap. But in Japan she's got more fans than Yugi Oh. She sells out stadiums, and she did an MTV Unplugged.

Her name is Utada Hikaru, and she's one of Japan's biggest pop stars. Hikaru's debut album, First Love, sold about 10 million copies. A recent deal with Island Def Jam may put an end to her stateside anonymity. The singer-songwriter's first big US effort has a lot going for it. For one thing, Hikaru has reenergized her sound- gone is the precious pop of her Japanese releases, replaced by aggressive beats and an air of dance-floor sexuality that's strung with sonic gewgaws. For another thing, she called a Top-40 expert for a few of the tunes. Ten days in Miami with the can't-miss producer Timbaland resulted in three of the funkiest numbers on the record. "The whole time, I couldn't believe I was working with him," she says, obviously a bit star struck. "He said, 'You know, Utada, you're pretty dope.' I said, 'Thanks. You're pretty dope, too.'"

But the singer's trump card is her Japanese-American identity- a singular perspective in pop music. In "The Workout," Hikaru sings, "I was dancing with a dirty blond Texan/I showed him how people in the Far East get down." She's well aware of her transcultural allure, and she works it. "Yeah, well, it's so fun to!" She says, "It's natural, because it's a big part of what I think about in my daily life. And it's something I can really take advantage of. It's a bit of a reaction- sometimes with their second album, people write songs about how they're famous but they haven't changed. But I already have this position that I can react to: I am Japanese, and it's really fun to be Japanese right now. I flip through the channels and I see all the old animes that I use to watch when I was really small- and I think, 'They're playing this in the US?'"

The singer has an excellent pop pedigree. Her mom, Keiko Fuji, was one of Japan's most beloved singers in the 1970s. Her father, producer Teruzane Utada, gives her guidance in the studio and manages Hikaru's career.

By any measure, Utada has it good. She can enjoy Xtina-scale adulation in Japan, but back home in Manhattan she can live like a normal twenty-something. So, why would she ever want to raise her profile on these shores? "My mom has actually asked me, 'What are you going to do if you do get famous here?'" She says, "Part of me is like: 'Yeah, right.' Then part of me is like: 'What if I do get famous?! I can't just walk into a deli at night wearing my pajamas!'"

Still, Utada insists that American provides a kinder climate for fame. "I feel a bit freer here," she says. "Japan is the kind of place where if you get caught with weed, your records get taken off the shelves. I feel like there's a bit more room to find your own position here." And if American fame starts to drive her crazy? "I can go to Fiji or someplace.

-end snip -

I'm a bit weary now of her release, but I'll still buy, if not for the novelty. :lol: My main question right now is this - Will she turn into the American stereotypical slut image?
Old 2004-07-05, 18:44   Link #7
divarication
zoom zoom zoom

Quote:
I'm a bit weary now of her release, but I'll still buy, if not for the novelty. :lol: My main question right now is this - Will she turn into the American stereotypical slut image?
only if she manages to pry her way onto the radio. i don't know how widespread her american debut's going to be, but my guess is that it'll remain relatively obscure. when was the last time you heard a japanese name on the R&B charts?
Old 2004-07-05, 20:36   Link #8
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by divarication
only if she manages to pry her way onto the radio. i don't know how widespread her american debut's going to be, but my guess is that it'll remain relatively obscure. when was the last time you heard a japanese name on the R&B charts?
When was the last time you heard a Japanese name on any of the charts?

Supposedly she is a huge concern for Island. How many upcoming debuting talents get to work with one of the top in the industry? Supposedly they even have an entire team dedicated to her. The only other person like that in the company is Mariah Carey. And I like the word supposedly.

In any rate, the people in Japan and the jpop kiddies here will buy it, even if we're the only ones! :lol:

+3
Old 2004-07-05, 21:31   Link #9
Devin

But the only other singer that exceeds Utada in popularity is Boa? I heard Boa iss a more popular singer than Utada in Japan, even though Boa's Korean... heh.
I think Boa is definitely cuter than Utada, though Utada has a better voice.
Old 2004-07-05, 23:22   Link #10
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
My main question right now is this - Will she turn into the American stereotypical slut image?
Gods, I hope not. Hopefully her parents (who I assume are good traditional Japanese parents) will slap some sense into her. If I were to go Britney, my parents, although they aren't Japanese just Asian, will give me a good smacking.

Oh, if she becomes big. I really hope that she won't sell out. I hope she does become big though, it'd be nice to have an Asian on the music scene in North America. If she doesn't go big, Japanese fans have got her back .

Last edited by anime_luver; 2004-07-06 at 01:52.
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 09:09   Link #11
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Utada Debut Release Date Set!

And... WHOO HOO~! *dances around* WE FINALLY GOT A RELEASE DATE!

-snip from utada.com -

UTADA: FRESH NEW SOUND FOR THE FALL

Exciting singer/songwriter releases US debut EXODUS on Island Records Oct. 5

July 6, 2004--21-year-old singer/songwriter Utada will offer a fresh new sound for music fans this Fall when her US debut album, EXODUS, is released Oct. 5 on Island. An enigmatic fusion of alternative, pop, dance and funk grooves, EXODUS features witty lyrics and well-crafted melodies. The first remix single on the album is "Devil Inside," an hypnotic dance track laced with electronic Asian-flavored beats that is sure to be a club favorite. Another winning track is the sunny pop melody "Easy Breezy," which will be the first radio single off the album.

Utada is also joined on her debut album by some outstanding special guests such as drummer Jon Theodore from Mars Volta, who delivers an infectious groove on "Kremlin Dusk," and master producer Timbaland who adds his funky touch to "Exodus '04," "Wonder 'Bout" and "Let Me Give You My Love." Here's what they had to say about recording with Utada:

"She's above the typical trappings of pop music because her voice is beautiful and she writes her own music. She has discerning taste that sort of transcends the genre. It's not really classifiable." --Jon Theodore of Mars Volta

"We did some great work together-Exodus is such a fabulous song andUtada is the best!" --Timbaland

-end snip-

What a coincidence that this thread happened. :lol:
No Europe date though. Sorry to the Europeans on board!
Hmm.. a dance song and a pop song. Looks like I won't hear her on the R&B stations. (which, where I live, is all but two stations).
Another note, her main site has also updated with a new picture in the photobook. But I just want one thing - SAMPLES YOU MORONS! SAMPLES~!

And....

I just heard the full version of 'by your side'. Eh.. it's not that good. The lyrics are as bad as Kiley Dean's leadoff single, and Kiley sings way too strong for a duet, almost as if she's trying to outperform Utada in the song. And harmony = zip zero nada. Jeeez. W harmonizes more than these two! *bad bad*

Here are the lyrics :

’ve been thinkin’ bout us (and the things we’ve been through)
It’s time we got serious (you know I would like to)
But we need to work out these issues before they get out of hand

Oh yeah, oh yeah
I know we’ve been for sin
Are you in?
But the fact is
Unity is a good thing
It took a while for me but now I see
When someone loves you
that thing will hate you
Sometimes they’ll scream and curse you out
Just try to chill and write it out
But it’s official
When I’m against you (I’m not)
Whether it’s wrong or it’s right,
I would rather be by your side

I’ve been looking at our history
Things ain’t changing but they need to be
Where do we start?
It seems like it’s gone too far
Can’t we just try to work it out?

Oh yeah, oh yeah
I know we’ve been for sin
Are you in?
But the truth is
Unity is a good thing
It took some time for me but now I see
When someone loves you
that thing will hate you
But it’s official
When I’m against you
I would rather be by your side [x3]

I’m so sorry I treated you so bad (so bad)
I didn’t realize what a friend I had (oh no)
I regret the things I did and you can believe that
I apologize, I wish I could take it back…

When someone loves you/sometimes i love you
That thing will hate you
But it’s official
When I’m against you
I would rather be by your side...

Man, such a long post... Anyway, if you want the song, just PM me and I'll give you a radio rip. (since that's all I have). Hmm.. if people want, I can do a color code for Utada and Kiley's parts.

+4
Old 2004-08-26, 23:15   Link #12
utadaisnumber1

Thumbs up Utada

I love Utada. I think I'm her #1 fan. I heard from my pm that her new cd Exodus is coming out october 5th. I can't wait! I also heard that there's gonna be a flyaway to NYC and a giveaway for an autographed cd. The website to check out is www.utada.com
utadaisnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 04:26   Link #13
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki Nozomi
LOL

When I saw this topic, I thought 'Someone finally posted about Hikki's American debut'!
Hikki's American debut? She released something in America a long time ago allready, but not as Utadu Hikaru, but as Cubic U (she actually even started in America while she was studying there)
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 19:36   Link #14
FlyByNite

I downloaded the video to 'breezy' one of her US release songs and for going the 'slutty US female singer route' it didn't go that road

She's not half-nekkid or anything, infact I'd say most of the shots of her in the video are head shots. You do get her in shorts and a halter top, but considering she was poolside then with guys in swimsuits I expected she'd be in a bikini or something.

but the lyrics...ick. They're rhyming breezy with Japaneasy... "You're easy breezy...and I'm Japaneasy"

LMFAO
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 00:16   Link #15
Devin

After hearing many of Utada Hikaru's songs, i can honestly say I've become one of her avid fans. In my opinion, Utada Hikaru> all other asian pop stars. I think she has the best vocal skills, and the other j-pop stars just pale in comparison to her voice. Sure, they might be better looking than her, but i'd think singing talent comes before looks if you are a singer.

I hope Utada makes it big in the U.S. with her upcoming album, then she'd make history as the first Asian singer, regardless of genres, to hit the mainstream in the U.S. music industry.
Old 2004-09-07, 04:20   Link #16
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
I heard her Easy Breezy Japansy single, then I watched her PV for the single.

She went from a lyrical powerhouse with just amazing musical production, and extremely creative and dazzling videos (with the execption of Hikari) to bland and generic imagery and lyrics equivlent to Britney Spears.

Seeing this video and hearing the lyrics really amazes me, at how low the bar is for pop stars in America, I mean it didn't sound nor look any different then anything else overhere, if I didn't know who she was years prior to her US debut, I woulda just coined her as another nameless pop singer. You can say she "sold out" if you want to, she defintely looks like she did, its really sad. I used to consider her one of the great Japanese popstars, because she sounded really different, emotional, a powerful vocalist, with very touching lyrics, she didn't sound generic, and repeative like the rest of Jpopism, in my mind.

To me, she now officially sucks. I am hoping the rest of her album isn't as plain and so one-dimensional as her single. Its only one song, and there have been bad singles before. But if this single is meant to set the tone for her whole album, I'll pass.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 10:22   Link #17
llama

Send a message via AIM to llama
Sorry if this has been posted already, but it looks like Utada has a new single coming out:
http://www.toshiba-emi.co.jp/app/scr...oct5005_01.wma

I think it sounds really good from the preview. I can't wait to hear the whole thing! I was surprised that she's releasing another so soon after Passion.

When I hear good stuff like this it makes me wonder how her English album went so horribly wrong. I feel like we're getting ripped off. I'd love it if she did an English album that was more her Japanese style, possibly English releases of her Japanese songs.
llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 16:50   Link #18
canza

Hehehe now she has a new album coming out called Ultra Blue!!! I'm really hoping to buy the album....she's sooo great.......<3!!!!
canza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 05:59   Link #19
Celes__

I didn't like Exodus, but her latest Japanese releases have been gorgeous (be my last, wings...) I have really high expectations for this new album.
Celes__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 03:03   Link #20
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
i was wondering is there a best of cd with her best songs?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote