Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-07-09, 15:19   Link #201
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
While I'm not hesitant to say I don't generally find anime aimed at the otaku market appealing, I don't recall using the term "moe loving maniacs". Please, let's avoid the kind of accusatory "discussion" that occurred in the last pages.

Again, this disagreement seems to be primarily due to the fact that you think I'm using otaku as a synonym for "NEET/hikkikomori loser", while I'm using it to describe a subculture in general. There was a Japanese poster here a while ago named kj1980 who was certainly not a jobless hikkikkomori, but was a self-described member of the otaku subculture and went into quite a bit of detail about it as well as the different target markets of anime altogether. The division of anime viewers in Japan is somewhat different from English communities like Animesuki.

I'm not sure how to address your concept of "extreme" and "normal" as I don't think it has much relevance to either my original post or the topic as a whole.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2010-07-10 at 00:48.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 15:51   Link #202
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

If it is not already clear, felix seems to think that brandishing any sort of anime or group of people with a general term is akin to insulting said anime/people or stereotyping them into some sort of closed minded outlook. Also, that everyone clearly doesn't understand said terms, and that they should not be used in any situation or conversation.

At this point, it is best to simply ignore his remarks as they do little more than to cause heated debates that bear no consequence on the actual conversation at hand.

To get this thread back on topic...

One thing I hate in a lot of anime is the characters speaking very poor English like in certain episodes of Black Lagoon.

What's the point if not even English speakers cannot understand what the characters are saying in English?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 16:05   Link #203
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
What's the point if not even English speakers cannot understand what the characters are saying in English?
I've never watched Black Lagoon, but often times I get the impression that anime producers just want to give the impression of characters being "foreign" by speaking English, and actually understanding the words isn't really as important as that impression (especially since a lot of the Japanese viewers don't know English very well). A bit jarring for native English speakers, but probably not a big deal for the original audience.

Somehow, this reminds me of the way the Nodame Cantabile live action drama dressed up a clearly Japanese actor in a wig and tried to pass him off as a German visitor

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 16:08   Link #204
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Technically its still well on topic, since threads on this forum are encouraged to be less lists and more discussion. And this is all about "What do you hate about anime?" even if K-on seems to be the main topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
While I'm not hesitant to say I don't generally find anime aimed at the otaku market appealing, I don't recall using the term "moe loving maniacs". Please, let's avoid the kind of accusatory "discussion" that occurred in the last pages.
Bellow you use quotes and add words I never used (like "loser") so obviously I don't have to explain it to you, right. Just like you when I quote people I use the [quote] tags, anything else is inference or me highlighting it as a special word to be taken in context or given importance.
Quote:
Again, this disagreement seems to be primarily due to the fact that you think I'm using otaku as a synonym for "NEET/hikkikomori loser", while I'm using it to describe a subculture in general.
As I tried to explain in my previous post(s): I don't see what "cause" => "effect" relationship you have there, regardless of which of those you use.

Quote:
There was a poster here a while ago named kj1980 who was certainly not a jobless hikkikkomori, but was a self-described member of the otaku subculture and went into quite a bit of detail about it as well as the different target markets of anime altogether. The division of anime viewers in Japan is somewhat different from English communities like Animesuki.

I'm not sure how to address your concept of "extreme" and "normal" as I don't think it has much relevance to either my original post or the topic as a whole.
Dunno what you're trying to tell me with this. You have some strange idea about me. I answer questions in posts out of courtesy. Since you took the time to ask it, I answer it (even when it is off-topic), otherwise you might think I'm not reading your post or tacking considering your opinion. That doesn't mean I necessarily care for it as far as the discussion goes. Right now the only think I care in the entire thread is what this relation between some mysterious poll has to do with K-on, moe and how K-on is labeled as some extreme anime fan niche culture because of it; nothing more. I know what you mean about there being far more levels to anime fans in japan. Don't really understand how you're reading what I'm saying before under the assumption I didn't treat it as that in my posts.
Old 2010-07-09, 18:27   Link #205
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That's because it's meant to be comedy for us.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 18:40   Link #206
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The Japanese seem to see English the same way that many English speakers see French. I almost get a sense that English is like some grand, romantic language to the Japanese.

I'm sure that when some English speakers try to sprinkle French into their language in order to sound sauvé that it probably grinds on the ears of many French speakers as well.
Old 2010-07-09, 19:24   Link #207
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Some certain stereotypes of ethnicity, country and cultures:

This may not as controversial as it sounds but I just hate to see some bad stereotypes of certain characters. As example Italy in Hetalia is a flirty young man who only eat pasta. We all know the Italian stereotype can get worse than this one. This maybe came from pure fantasy but almost every depictions of cowgirls wearing bikinis but still with their revolver guns and (somewhat)oversized cowboy hats. Unless they went to a photoshoot or something, real cowgirls never wear bikinis. Would you ride a horse in a desert in bikini? Obviously no. Another one is the Indian/Pakistani/Afghan tourists in Lucky Star. While its nothing than a joke but it does annoyed me.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 00:00   Link #208
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Japanese seem to see English the same way that many English speakers see French. I almost get a sense that English is like some grand, romantic language to the Japanese.

I'm sure that when some English speakers try to sprinkle French into their language in order to sound sauvé that it probably grinds on the ears of many French speakers as well.
Or how western anime fans use Japanese to sound more hardcore...
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 11:25   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

French-speaking peoples for miles around stick spikes in their eyes when I use a French phrase. German? No, problem, Russian? Got it.

Japanese takes a week or two for me to sound competent. I have a nasty habit of sounding the vowel portion of the phoneme poorly when I'm tired or haven't been practicing.

Yeah.. for the last few decades, japanese were "kakkoi" (yeah, yeah, cool) if they tossed some English into their conversation but I'm curious to see if that shifts to Mandarin as the world shifts around. Mandarin is the fastest growing language being taught in Japan (as well as the USA).

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-10 at 13:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 11:34   Link #210
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Actually, not all french does that to non-french speakers, some like me are trying to repress a laugh and smile, but do not think them as malicious and condescending laugh. I appreciate the effort of speaking a language that is pretty uptight regarding the rules of pronunciation (sp?) and grammer. And it is a mutual feeling, for I have, like a lot of fellow frenchmen, an atrocious accent in english. Monty Pythons were right about that.

I did laugh hard at Hitome Nabatame speaking French in Strawberry Panic.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 15:48   Link #211
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
It's cute-funny when a comedy-oriented character tosses an English word here and there and of course, as usual, mispronounce every consonant in it (Masamune Date from Sengoku Basara). But when a serious character does that, living the "kakkoi" moment, it usually comes off cheesy and ruins the whole thing for me
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 16:49   Link #212
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
One thing that I have to give Angel Beats! is that they managed to pull off "English dialogue in subbed anime" quite well with the character TK.
Old 2010-07-11, 16:43   Link #213
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
One thing that I have to give Angel Beats! is that they managed to pull off "English dialogue in subbed anime" quite well with the character TK.
It was still a little random, but I agree it sounded good.
Old 2010-07-11, 20:24   Link #214
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"Get chance and luck" as well as "I kiss you!" He's just an action movie hero filled with one liners! But possibly lampshaded:

Spoiler for Angel Beats!:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 16:49   Link #215
Unellmay

Nothing I wouldn't change a thing
Unellmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 16:43   Link #216
otaku_trev

My List of Dislikes:

1) Female Characters who do nothing but cook and clean and not much else. I realize that this must be someones idea of a "perfect woman" in Japan, but I prefer female characters who aren't afraid to stand up for them selves and do things men do. The whole purpose of a female anime characters life shouldn't be to please the guy characters and make breakfast/lunch/dinner for them and clean their house. Let them do it themselves!I realize that this rant only applies to a few types of animes, but there are some lingering aspects found in other genre's of anime also.

I just want to say, Thank you Miyazaki for making strong woman characters and for the creators of Spice and Wolf and Melencholy of Haruhi Suzimiya for making characters like Horo and Haruhi.

2)The Monologue. Yes this is a problem I find annoying. Villians who spend a few minutes explaining how the other character is doomed and that he is the greatest villian of all! All the while he gives the heros ample time to charge up an attack, or develope a startegy to defeat the villian. There are a few animes where the villians are truly good villians and their monologue is kept to a minimum, but I see all to often animes with villians who talk to much.

Overall, though, I love anime a lot and for tons of reasons. These two dislikes are mere annoyances. Anime is awesome and it is a great way of telling stories and introducing interesting characters. I love it!
otaku_trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-14, 23:20   Link #217
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

The one thing about anime I hate? The fact that I can't draw it!!!
Old 2010-07-16, 15:54   Link #218
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I hate those "mysterious" characters who tend to have "mysterious" pasts that is somhow connected to the story and knows a lot of the cast members.

I also characters tend to kill people yet shatise other for doing so. considering how some characters are, it makes wonder why doesn't anyone just shoot the bad guy?

It seems like Defeat Means Friendship means is overused in some anime, yu mean to tell me you jsut lost and not you are not mad at the guy who was beting you up?
Old 2010-07-17, 06:35   Link #219
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
A series with no real ending, things just kinda stop. I always expect to see a guy or girl in a harem choose somebody, and it does happen, but most of the times it doesn't. Still, I can always use my imagination when that happens...
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 11:34   Link #220
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Childish Moe voices from a teenage/adult females.

Hearing a teenager that doesn't sound like a teenager hurts my ears.