AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-26, 17:28   Link #1
Drake XD

Action/Adventure anime?

I really don't know what anime to watch =/
I am looking for some action or adventure animes XD Bonus if they're comedy as well
Oh also
REASONS
The reason I can't find a good anime to watch is because everyone who suggests one to me doesn't tell me anything about it, Meaning I won't be interested in it at all just by the name
So yeah please tell me what its about (As spoiler free as possible) and why you think it's good

Here's a list of anime I liked so you get an idea what I like XD
  • Code Geass
  • Death Note
  • One Piece
  • Full Metal Alchemist
  • Terren Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Disgaea

I also have watched + liked Ouran Highschool Host Club, Toradora and Fruits Basket; At the moment I am looking for Action/Adventure anime more but if you know any anime like these please let me know XD
Old 2010-04-26, 17:50   Link #2
Haladflire65
*Artist

Darker than Black: Great animation, cool characters and an interesting presentation of story. It's rather episodic until the last few episodes but it's one of my favourite series nevertheless. It's about people with supernatural powers called Contractors, similar to the mutants in X-men.
Karas: Fantastic action sequences and awesome, awesome animation in exchange for a strong story. It's a 6-episode OVA. There's basically a guy who transforms into a superhero fighting monsters; the overall tone's pretty dark.
Sword of the Stranger: Excellent animated swordfights from studio Bones. One of the nicest samurai movies. It's a samurai movie - what more is there to say?
Soul Eater: Another one from Bones, there's nicely animated action as well as comedy. This is more of a standard Shounen. There're three main 'meisters' who have partners who can transform into various kinds of weapons.
Hellsing Ultimate: Awesome gunfights and action in general, but that's if you can stomach the gore. It's a good take on vampires. A godmoded vamp destroys everything he's told to destroy.
Strait Jacket: Another very short OVA series where a guy fights demons in a world where magic is a subject of study. The animation's quite good and the demons are fabulously disgusting.

That's all I can think of for now, I gave you my favourites since I love FMA as well

P.S. If you haven't started watching FMA: Brotherhood already, go do so. NOW.
Old 2010-04-26, 18:12   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise: Even though it has Magical Girl in its title, this franchise is more like a shonen series in style and tone, especially in the fight scenes; with lots of laser beams flying around and big explosions.

To avoid spoilers, I'll just give a summary of the first season. Nanoha becomes a magical girl after meeting a ferret named Yuuno, and the two of them work together to recover the Jewel Seeds, which are scattered throughout the Earth. However, Fate Testarossa and especially her mother Precia also want the Jewel Seeds, and from episode 4 onwards, the story shifts to the battle between Nanoha and co. and Fate.

Of the franchise, I'd say Nanoha A's, the second season, is the best, but if I give a summary, it'd partially spoil the first season's outcome. Besides epic fight scenes, the characters are well developed, especially Fate, and the Wolkenritter who appear in the second season. It may seem like a standard magical girl show at first, but the first season really picks up once Fate is introduced, and her motivations become clearer during episodes 4-7. And Nanoha is probably the most badass little girl ever.

Read or Die OVA: Has some crazy fight scenes and an equally crazy plot. Basically, it's about Yomiko Readman, a secret agent who can manipulate paper to create anything she wants, teaming up with another agent named Nancy 'Ms. Deep' Makuhari to fight clones of historical figures who want to use Beethoven's Death Symphony (which causes people to kill themselves) to destroy the world.

Yomiko is probably the most adorable action heroine in anime besides Nanoha and co, and her power is used to its fullest potential, which leads to some very creative and well animated fight scenes.
Old 2010-04-26, 19:12   Link #4
Nakas

Claymore: Action/aventure, good graphics, nice story. Ending however is a disapointment. But really a great show to watch.

Its about female warriors who battle against monsters on orders of their superiors. Having special powers because they are Half human/Half Yoma (Yoma are the monsters) a must see if you like action aventure.

Berserk This bad boy is also a must see if you like Hack and Slash action with a great story. its a somewhat older anime, so the graphics are not up to date. nevertheless this is really a great show with good music. and the main character is one mean badass killing machine!

Its only 26 episodes long (just like Claymore) but there are rumors a second season ''might'' be comming. though i have zero details to suport that rumor. after watching this show you will be torn apart because it doesn't continue.

Link to Berserk page

FullMetal Alchemist the Brotherhood Do i need to say more?
You've already seen Fullmetal Alchemist. Well this one follows the manga and is way better. has 50+ episodes and still ongoing.

Wolfs Rain Action aventure with a good story and a emotional ending.

I dont really remmember the story, was thinking of watching it myself again soonish.
See link to Wolfs Rain details and screenshot

Code Geass has also got a second season.
Old 2010-04-27, 01:56   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Soul Eater: The adventures of seven students in Death's academy of soul hunting. Lots of fun, awesome fights and animation, good story. Excalibur as a bonus...this is really a BONES classic, you can't miss it.
Fairy Tail: Lucy, a new mage, wants to join the most notorious magic guild in town. The animation isn't all that great, but the plot and humour make up for it. Has a One Piece air about it.
Bokusatsu tenshi Dokuro-chan: Moe angel killing an unfortunate student in a million ways. Simply hilarious.
Gintama: Sakata Gintoki is a samurai who ended up running odd jobs after the war against the aliens ended in earth's defeat. He's got two followers, a powerful alien girl and a pathetic boy from a dojo. This anime is mainly comedic, but has had many action arcs lasting a fair number of episodes, the action and drama just hit red at some point. Oh, and the comedy is usually episodic, so if a certain episode doesn't suit your tastes (it covers everything), you can just skip ahead.
Old 2010-04-27, 09:44   Link #6
Drake XD

Some of these sound good =D Thanks for the suggestions, First people to actually describe what the anime is about

And about FMA: Brotherhood, I have heard about it a lot XD I plan to watch it when it's aired all the episodes, When an anime is ongoing I tend to lose interesting during the wait for the next episode (*Cough*One Piece*Cough*)

Still thanks, I will defiantly try some of these out
Old 2010-04-28, 04:36   Link #7
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Perhaps Scrapped Princess?