AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-06-25, 21:51   Link #1
videoman190

Legend of Korra (PS3 PS4 XBONE PC\STEAM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQE...layer_embedded
Based on the TV series it will be made Platinum Games and published by Activision. It will be download only. 3DS version is retail only

Last edited by videoman190; 2014-06-26 at 14:51.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 21:52   Link #2
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

SERIOUSLY, who saw this one coming ? PLATINUM GAMES of all people...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 22:02   Link #3
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
Based on the TV series it will be made Platinum Games and published by Activision. It will be PSN only
Pretty sure it will be on PC and Xbone too.
Old 2014-06-25, 23:38   Link #4
Frontier

I don't have much confidence in Licensed games to begin with, let alone ones that Activision release that aren't Transformers or Spider-Man related, but that Platinum Games is working on it is pretty reassuring. I'm not expecting too much, but hopefully it'll turn out to be a fun game. That it takes place between Books 2 and 3 is also something to look forward to about it .

The art style also reminds me of some of the older Avatar games, being cell-shaded, so that's pretty neat .
Old 2014-06-26, 02:31   Link #5
Chase

I normally would just say its Platinum Games therefore it will be awesome but even im hesitant on this. The announcement is odd and so is the pairing of dev/pub. Im going to be cautiously optimistic about this.
Battlefield 4
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 18:43   Link #6
Chase

Quote:
The game fits right into the show's narrative arc

It's no surprise that Platinum is announcing this now, since it coincides with the show's third season premiere this Friday. (If you haven't already, you should check out the trailer for the new season here.) The game takes place between the second and third seasons, just as Korra starts dealing with the effects of a spoilertastic choice she made in season 2. Here, she is kidnapped by a strange old man who takes her bending abilities away, and as she struggles to hunt him down she must also work to recover her powers.
Over the course of her journey, Korra visits many of the places fans know and love, like Air Temple Island, Republic City and the South Pole, allowing us to visit those places for ourselves. Enemies from the two seasons collide as well, with anti-bending martial artists known as chi-blockers and giant tank mechs showing up alongside dark spirits from the spirit realm. Plus, with fun tidbits from the show added in just for fans, it looks like the game could have walked right off network television.
Quote:
Bending is just as fun as you imagined

As you've probably already guessed, playing as Korra lets you control four powerful elemental forces. While she doesn't have any bending abilities to start out (which she makes up for with mad kung-fu skills), part of the adventure comes using in-game events to jog her memory and reset her powers. Different bending styles level up individually as you acquire them, so Korra gets realistically better the longer she works with an element. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and they can be easily toggled, so trying each out allows you hone your bending style as you go. Plus, the ability to use quick or charged attacks adds an additional layer of strategy and fun.
These elements are all used in fast-paced, vicious battles against enemy hoards and tough bosses, but the controls are smooth enough that using them feels natural. The ultimate reward here comes in using all the elements together and switching between the freely, allowing you to destroy your opponents with everything Korra has up her sleeves. Plus, with several levels of difficulty, anyone from non-gaming Avatar fans to Platinum-loyal brawlers can find something to enjoy in the Avatar's shoes.
Quote:
The game loyally recreates the best aspects of the show

Korra fans, rejoice! A look at this game in action shows that the art style fits in comfortably with the animation standard the Avatar series is known for. While it doesn't look exactly the same, lovely cel shaded characters and foregrounds matched up with brush-stroke backgrounds give the whole thing its own gorgeous flare. Bending has also been carefully recreated, keeping to the real-world martial arts inspirations for each of the bending styles and showing just how carefully the show was followed.
This is thanks not only to direct collaboration between the show's creative team and Platinum (more on that later), but because of Platinum's love for the source material. According to producer Atsushi Kurooka, the studio knew nothing about Korra when it was approached by Nickelodeon, and established IPs are foreign territory for them. However, when they got a look at the show's beautiful animation, engaging story and great action scenes, they jumped at the chance to make it. The result is an addition to the franchise so loyal that "spin-off" doesn't seem like the right word anymore.
http://www.gamesradar.com/Legend-Korra-review/

The rest in the link. Guess I got my answer on the timing of the announcement and why Platinum ended up with the game. My interested level definitely up.
Battlefield 4
Old 2014-06-26, 19:22   Link #7
Chase

Looks like parry/counters are in like in Rising.

Quote:
In true Platinum fashion, hitting block at just the right moment will enable Korra to reverse an attack, leading to a spectacular counter move. Like Metal Gear Rising, these counters are snappy and satisfying, layering a much-appreciated need for precision on top of Korra’s moveset.
And what third-person, Platinum-developed action game would be complete without a few juicy RPG elements? Indeed, Korra can slowly level up each bending art to allow for more devastating abilities, from summoning whirlwinds to knocking boulders into the air. Special finishing techniques will also be purchasable from the in-game shop, which means gamers get a little loot spice for flavor.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...platinumgames/
Battlefield 4
Old 2014-06-26, 19:39   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Looks like parry/counters are in like in Rising.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...platinumgames/
Goddamnit I want my Rising 2 ;_; !!
Old 2014-06-26, 21:03   Link #9
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
Based on the TV series it will be made Platinum Games and published by Activision. It will be download only. 3DS version is retail only
This is somewhat related to the trailer...animation studio Titmouse (Motorcity, Megas XLR, G.I. Joe Resolute) will be doing animated cutscenes for game.
Old 2014-06-26, 21:37   Link #10
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Interesting, saw this on the Escapist yesterday, and responses there seemed much more optimistic about the games potential. Especially because its being done by Platinum who have experience with high movement games.

I'll probably check it out when its released.
Old 2014-06-26, 22:33   Link #11
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
SERIOUSLY, who saw this one coming ? PLATINUM GAMES of all people...
It's a lot crazier when it's Platinum Games and Activision. The genre make sense to go with Platinum but it's rare to see a western publisher contracting a japanese studio to make games for them not to mention Activision of all people who owns a number of studio of their own.

Kinda surprised this have been in the works long enough that it's coming out this fall considering Platinum Games have been working on Bayo2 and W101.
Old 2014-06-26, 22:41   Link #12
kirikirito334

Is it available on PC? hope it is!
kirikirito334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 14:38   Link #13
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who heard that Platinum Games was working on this, and had a reaction that falls somewhere between "meh" and "uh?".

Maybe it's because I watched the teaser that was put out for it and wasn't amazed, or maybe it's because Bayonetta didn't leave the best impression on me. I don't know... Just because this studio is working on it, that doesn't automatically mean the game will be great, and it seems like that's what a lot of other people feel. (And by "other people", I don't specifically mean posters in this thread. I mean commenters on articles I've read and Korra fans I'm friends with on FB.)
Old 2014-06-27, 15:35   Link #14
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

But Impressions say otherwise. Have commenters played the preview builds?

Also, while Platinum don't make the best games in the world, they make fun games where the stuff you do is sometimes only portrayed in cutscenes.

I can certainly understand if some of PG's games are not up your alley though.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 16:35   Link #15
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
But Impressions say otherwise. Have commenters played the preview builds?

Also, while Platinum don't make the best games in the world, they make fun games where the stuff you do is sometimes only portrayed in cutscenes.

I can certainly understand if some of PG's games are not up your alley though.
To be fair, if a studio that's made nothing but games I love and adore was working on this... I would still feel the exact same way. I've never been one to look at anything through rose-tinted glasses. So it has less to do with Platinum Games specifically and more to do with my tendency to avoid counting chickens before they hatch.
Old 2014-06-27, 17:14   Link #16
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikirito334 View Post
Is it available on PC? hope it is!
Yes, and every other console. Big third party publishers like Activision is going to dip into every possible market out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who heard that Platinum Games was working on this, and had a reaction that falls somewhere between "meh" and "uh?".
Well Platinum Games isn't exactly a household name like Blizzard. Only fans of the studio and console core gamers knows about them and even fewer people remember them when they were Clover Studio and Capcom's core people that made Devil May Cry, Okami and Viewtiful Joe.

They aren't popular but enthusiast and media have huge expectation of them because of their history in game making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
You take that back , there's no studio that made better spectacle fighters than Platinum Games. Granted they don't make headlines with their sales .
Old 2014-06-27, 18:55   Link #17
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

They make the best games in the world with the tendency to come to systems that I don't own =_=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Just because this studio is working on it, that doesn't automatically mean the game will be great, and it seems like that's what a lot of other people feel. (And by "other people", I don't specifically mean posters in this thread. I mean commenters on articles I've read and Korra fans I'm friends with on FB.)
Lol yes it does :3 this is Platinum Games, one of the very few studios left who is safe to make that bet.

But I wouldn't be surprise if most fans of the series have never heard of them, like what Jazzrat says they're very highly regard only between gaming enthusiasts.

If anything, my hesitation to this game is because of everything else outside of being developed by Platinum.
Old 2014-06-27, 20:53   Link #18
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Well Platinum Games isn't exactly a household name like Blizzard. Only fans of the studio and console core gamers knows about them and even fewer people remember them when they were Clover Studio and Capcom's core people that made Devil May Cry, Okami and Viewtiful Joe.
My reaction wasn't what it was because I didn't know of Platinum or their game resume. Quite the opposite, actually.

Quote:
Lol yes it does :3 this is Platinum Games, one of the very few studios left who is safe to make that bet.
Plenty of great studios (both in and outside of the gaming world) turn out the occasional lackluster product or take on busywork (see: easy money) every once in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being one of those things. If this was an original IP we were talking about, I would be singing a (somewhat) different tune. But since this is a game based on a TV series (a Nickelodeon one at that), and games like this have a track record of being less than stellar... I won't hold my breath.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for this game to be good. I just never subscribe to the mindset of "company x is perfect so product y will be perfect".
Old 2014-06-27, 21:18   Link #19
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

That's what I'm saying in my last sentence- my faith in Platinum however doesn't extend to the Korra ip or Activision. The former I have no experience with and the latter is one of the big three souless publishing entity in gaming.

And 'perfect' is too extreme of a word- platinum are definitely not perfect, but they have damn good standards for what they're known for.
Old 2014-06-28, 01:43   Link #20
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Goddamnit I want my Rising 2 ;_; !!
Did you see that Neogaf thread where they had Kojima having a dinner meeting with the Platinum guys? Could happen..... based ps4/xbone version with platinum getting proper dev time would be amazing.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote