AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-11, 21:47   Link #1
Seiryuu

Any romance where the girl carries deep scars?

I'm looking for some romance works where the girl has been through some real, very serious trauma. Stuff where she'd been abused, assaulted, raped, betrayed, or otherwise hurt, or where her past self and past actions hold an equal level of pain for her, leaving the girl fragile, brittle, and defensive. A past full of regret is also good. Bonus if the trauma leaves her with a sense of shame or guilt, so that in her eyes she does not deserve to be loved. The sort of thing where the man has to struggle to accept everything she's carrying, and to convince her to let him do so.
18+ or even pure hentai anime/manga are OK, so long as the H material is a legitimate and meaningful part of the story; for instance, to show the things the girl has experienced or is experiencing that hurt her so bad, or to show just what she'd been or done in the past that fills her with shame.

The new anime Ookami-san seems to fit this.
Spoiler:

Another where the girl's experience is severe and traumatic is the manga "Life", where as I've heard a popular boy in school repeatedly rapes and abuses the main girl but no one is willing to believe it, even her own family.

Just three restrictions:
This should be a romance or contain romance as a major aspect of the plot.
Some reasonable limit to the brutality shown, meaning not too much blood etc.
No suicide, I don't want a story that ends with the girl deciding to end the pain by ending it all.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:06   Link #2
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Myself; Yourself

I don't want to say too much though or I'll spoil it. One of the girls in the show carries some deep scars.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:08   Link #3
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm that is a very descriptive view of what you want to see, and I was going to suggest one anime but after reading (Some reasonable limit to the brutality shown) made that anime go bye bye.

There are many animes that I've seen that the "man" carries deep scars, not the women, so sorry for not being much help, but I'm sure someone will find the exact one your looking for

Just alone the (Some reasonable limit to the brutality shown) kills many anime choices I had in mind
Old 2010-08-11, 22:08   Link #4
Kittenlady

Bitter Virgin springs to mind. The main female character in that had some serious issues.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:08   Link #5
jedinat

I usually avoid such stories, but Mars is good. Though the guy is even more messed up than the girl...
Old 2010-08-11, 22:23   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Manga suggestions:

The 2nd half of the Genshiken manga deals with that. Ogiue is very anti-social and scarred. She's got some baggage which she's struggling to overcome. Sasahara ends up being the unlikely guy for her. Don't watch the anime version 2nd season at all - it completely skipped over this.

There were three mini stories within Confidential Confessions that would qualify.

Volume 1, 2nd story - A teen girl who had a crap upbringing ends up as a prostitute. A street performer she meets one night makes her want to change.

Volume 5, 1st story - The female lead is raped by random thugs. She tries to cut all ties with her former life, including her boyfriend. But he's willing to stay with her despite it all.

Volume 6, 1st story - The female lead has an obsessive ex-boyfriend, which goes to gradually more sinister levels of obsession. She and her current boyfriend struggle to overcome it.

In addition, the 2nd volume was solely about a teen female tennis player who had a tennis coach that abused his students, but there was no romance in that volume. Volume 4 had a female-female relationship where one of them was abused by her father and the two struggled to overcome it. But those ones might not be what you're looking for.

Anime/Manga:

The josei series NANA may also qualify since it is primarily romance focused and one of the two female leads, Nana K/Hachi, has crap boyfriend after crap boyfriend. (The author herself had an abusive husband and based the series on her experiences.) Although in this one, it's more about struggling to find her way and herself via her own means as well as her best friend, Nana (female), rather than relying on a male to do so. But it may still be worth your while.

Anime:

Soukou no Strain may also qualify. The female leads watches all her friends, including her boyfriend, be murdered in the first episode - by her brother. She then joins the military to hunt him down. This one involves mechas a bit and isn't the best thing ever, but most people enjoy the series for the female lead gradually winning the struggle to overcome her past and eventually find peace and love. May be worth your while.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:31   Link #7
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Anime/Manga:

The josei series NANA may also qualify since it is primarily romance focused and one of the two female leads, Nana K/Hachi, has crap boyfriend after crap boyfriend. (The author herself had an abusive husband and based the series on her experiences.) Although in this one, it's more about struggling to find her way and herself via her own means as well as her best friend, Nana (female), rather than relying on a male to do so. But it may still be worth your while.

Anime:

Soukou no Strain may also qualify. The female leads watches all her friends, including her boyfriend, be murdered in the first episode - by her brother. She then joins the military to hunt him down. This one involves mechas a bit and isn't the best thing ever, but most people enjoy the series for the female lead gradually winning the struggle to overcome her past and eventually find peace and love. May be worth your while.
Those Anime/Manga sound addicting enough for me to actually go and watch them, thank you for the info Last Sinner, and also hope thats what Seiryuu is looking for also.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:41   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll leave open the question of whether it's "romantic," but Kure-nai otherwise fits your request.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:48   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You can debate the nature of the past trauma, but Hiromi from True Tears generally meets your description amazingly well. Plus, it's a tremendous romance serious generally.
Old 2010-08-11, 23:05   Link #10
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Definitely Suzuka for trauma and romance.

I'll second Myself; Yourself too, that definitely fits your description as well.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2010-08-12, 00:17   Link #11
Kaze Shachou
So Pringles

I'll agree with Myself;Yourself and True Tears

They've got what your looking for. Both enjoyable romance series overall as well.
Old 2010-08-12, 01:44   Link #12
kitten320

Yeh, I guess Suzuka would suit too. The main heroine did have issues as to why she tried to avoid the main hero and had to over come them as well as main hero had to try an except them or make her forget about them.
Old 2010-08-12, 03:26   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Maybe Air though the scar is very deep, it's for a different reason than you asked, and I'd rather avoid putting spoilers here.

Edit: Also Bakemonogatari fit somewhat well too, given Hitagi's past.
MAL
Old 2010-08-12, 03:27   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Just recently watched True Tears now I second this as well
Old 2010-08-12, 03:34   Link #15
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The manga Cat Street fit's a few of the themes you're looking for in a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary
The story centers around Keito Aoyama, a former famous child actor. Due to a childhood incident, she retired from her career early and withdrew from normal society. Now 16, she passes her days in boredom and without purpose. But one day she runs into a stranger who takes her to El Liston--a free school for high school students like herself, who don't have a place where they belong. Though hesitant at first, Keito decides to enter El Liston and subsequently, she begins a new stage in her life. With the help of her only remaining childhood friend, Taiyou, and her new classmates Rei, Momiji, and Kouichi, Keito slowly finds the courage to open up to others and to accept their support. Will Keito return to acting? Will she find true friends? Love?
One of the stories main themes in the trauma the main character Keito suffered when she was young, and how to overcome what has happened in the past. Outside of just that, the manga is one of the best i've ever had the pleasure of experiencing, and would love for more people to pick up this title.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-08-12 at 03:58.
Old 2010-08-12, 04:48   Link #16
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Hmm that is a very descriptive view of what you want to see, and I was going to suggest one anime but after reading (Some reasonable limit to the brutality shown) made that anime go bye bye.

There are many animes that I've seen that the "man" carries deep scars, not the women, so sorry for not being much help, but I'm sure someone will find the exact one your looking for

Just alone the (Some reasonable limit to the brutality shown) kills many anime choices I had in mind
When I say reasonable limit, what I mean is simply that I don't want to see massive gore or have a character sustain injuries that they shouldn't be able to survive.
For instance, I once downloaded a manga out of curiosity, and found that the description was very conservative; the main character was apparently able to quicly heal from any wound, up to and including decapitation, and as a result predators let loose completely. That was very unreasonable, and once I glanced through it I deleted it.
Old 2010-08-12, 04:54   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
When I say reasonable limit, what I mean is simply that I don't want to see massive gore or have a character sustain injuries that they shouldn't be able to survive.
For instance, I once downloaded a manga out of curiosity, and found that the description was very conservative; the main character was apparently able to quicly heal from any wound, up to and including decapitation, and as a result predators let loose completely. That was very unreasonable, and once I glanced through it I deleted it.
Well I don't know if this is a reasonable anime on your terms but I would suggest Blood+
Spoiler for Blood+:

If this doesn't fit your description, then sorry for mis-leading.
Old 2010-08-12, 07:03   Link #18
Animelover#1
Kouta...

I would reccomend Ef: A tale of memories, and She, the ultimate weapon. However in She, the ultimate weapon, the girl starts normal and the something happens to her. so slightly different. beware though. It's a sad anime
Old 2010-08-12, 17:45   Link #19
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I second Bakemonogatari and ef - a tale of memories. No, actually, the second season ef - a tale of melodies fits your requirements more, but the first season also has a pretty tragic main heroine because of her condition. Both are good.

If you don't mind shounen-ai/fantasy and Ritsuka being a boy then Loveless.

If you can stand a lot of blood and gore then Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (one character in particular).

If you don't mind the predictable mahou shoujo elements at the beginning and watch at least up to the great middle/end and the spectacular second season, then Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. The fights and system of magic weapons used are excellent as well.

Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed has quite a unique one. It starts off a bit episodic but then delves into Fumika's past, which is quite well written out.
Old 2010-08-13, 01:38   Link #20
MamoruUsagi

Mars Mars is an amazing manga. Kira was raped by her stepfather when she was a teenager. Kira is dating Rei, who is very sexually active. During Kira and Rei's first year of dating, whenever Rei feels her up or tries to do more than kissing, Kira pulls back and panics and Rei doesn't know why. Eventually, Rei figures it out and confronts Kira. Kira's stepfather returns and Kira moves in with Rei and they are able to have sex and live together while having a sexual relationship and Kira's scars of her rape are healed through her relationship with Rei.

Mars is an epic, amazing romance manga you must read.
Closed Thread