AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 6 12.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 8.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 34.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-12, 14:17   Link #41
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge this arc in regards to pacing. Again, its focusing on Rihoko's belief that her unrequited love for Junichi may never materialize into anything more but she is willing to wait and maintain hope that it one day will.

I believe we'll see three possible endings, the first two being the least likely to happen and the last being the most probable.

First we have an ending which has Junichi confessing to Rihoko in the final scene before the epilogue.

Next is the "only friends" ending which involves them still being just friends even in the epilogue.

Lastly, we're led to believe that they will remain friends at the end of the arc. However, in the epilogue, we see them together as a couple with Rihoko talking about how she waited patiently for Junichi until he became aware of her feelings and began to think of her in a romantic way.
Old 2010-11-12, 14:22   Link #42
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well they are definitely going to need to move things along in the next episode. Sure was a nice episode to see Junichi slowly drawn into the tea club, which is good news since Rihoko really isn't that good at it. Still only slight developments between the characters with going to the shrine and Junichi remembering how he ogled Rihoko during studying .

Rihoko has quite the nice talents available to her. So of course she goes and joins a club that she has no talent in. Would have had an easier time in a cooking club or singing.

Plus they felt this was a good chance to toss in some Miya fanservice.
Old 2010-11-12, 15:32   Link #43
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I agree with the majority that the lack of relationship development in this arc is really frustrating, especially when the heroine right now is so endearing...
Old 2010-11-12, 15:33   Link #44
Nerroth
NePoi!

To be honest, if it turns out that they don't get together, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

There's a whole other life waiting for her after she graduates (assuming no-one else shows up in her last year of school), and if things aren't meant to be with Junichi here, that just means the window would be open to find the right person at some other point in her life.

Of course, it's hard to have such a view when you are still in that school environment, so it's quite natural to imagine Rihoko not being too ready or able to imagine it happening...

...but then, life seldom works out in quite the way any of us imagine it to.

(Indeed, one thing she could learn somewhere down the line, perhaps, is how not to do things; maybe next time, if she finds someone with whom there could be that spark of a relationship, she might learn to be a little more forward with her own feelings.)
Old 2010-11-12, 15:43   Link #45
Used Can

The thing is, I don't think the whole unrequited love theme really justifies the lack of development. Of course, since apparent unrequited love is the main point of this arc, Junichi and Rihoko cannot simply start dating easily as the other girls in their respective arcs, but that doesn't mean there should be no development. They could always have shown us a gradual change in their mentality and how they start seeing each other in a different light, amongst other things which do not require neither of the main characters to be direct with their feelings to the other party. Of course, we know Rihoko is already in love with Junichi and that he is really fond of her, but that's all there is too it. It just feels, in my opinion, too stagnant.

Honestly, unless the final episode of this arc is just seriously fantastic, I don't see a single reason to justify the lack of development in this route.
Old 2010-11-12, 16:09   Link #46
Itlandm
Porcupine

Really now? There was as much development as I would expect, except it was all on Junichi's side. All Rihoko did was eat, which is kind of sad, but seriously she is already crazy for the guy, she just dares not show it. And probably rightly so.

He is practically a member of the tea club already, and while he may like tea, there is no doubt that this is a bond with Rihoko, and was planned as such by her seniors.

Look at his face after Umehara tells him that his happiness may be close. He definitely takes it seriously.

And we see him having flashbacks of looking at Rihoko's breasts and thighs already before they started high school. He may have edited out those memories, but now they come back. Since breasts are the center of Junichi's little world, now that they are coming back into his consciousness with full force, he will fall like a ripe apple in her bosom when the wind shakes them.

And yes, he is giving her priority over his best friend, and he does not even hesitate. He remembers straight away that this evening is taken, and says so. If he had found some excuse there, he would have missed the Rihoko good ending, but he did not.

So yeah, it is not particularly exciting, and there is an embarrassment of eating, not enough Training with Rihoko and too much Sleeping with Rihoko. (Although he should probably get points for not waking her up. Who knows. I know I would have dragged her out from the heater, despite the considerable physical exertion it would have required.)

But I predict that the fourth episode will have a Good Ending, and it will not seem forced or rushed. They are already close, and Junichi's little mind is steadily being filled with Rihoko's breasts. When the opportunity arises, he will fall for her like a hollow tree in the storm, like a riverbank undercut by the stream, etc.

Or that's what I hope. The title of the last episode is not very uplifting. But if they don't give Rihoko a good ending, fans will find them and club them to death with tea whisks.
Old 2010-11-12, 17:07   Link #47
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
First half of the episode had me turning away from the screen a bit since i got distracted and a biiit bored, but the second half was pretty nice. I wonder if im the only one at Miya trying to get fanservice in her bath towel. Also, I think this is the episode in the whole show so far where she's nishishi'd the most. I was about to punch my pillow. ;__; </3 uuugh. I hate Miya...
But yeah, the preview really makes it seem like Junichi and Rihoko will just stay as friends. D : I don't care too much, I need Dominance already. Tsukasaaaa yess I am excited.
I am totally fine with a Best Friends ending though. If we get a romantic couple ending it would throw the pacing more off because there really hasnt been much romantic development, and maybe their relationship is nicer as a friends relationship, as much as it'll suck for Rihoko. I don't think this arc is bad though, it's been enjoyable.
Old 2010-11-12, 20:07   Link #48
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamatari View Post
Seriously, we're 3 episodes into the arc and they haven't had a single really romantic moment? They had hatsumoude set up and she falls asleep?
Didn't surprise me much, actually... she came a little earlier just for the new year soba, and after stuffing herself with those cheese cakes on top of that (I bet Miya and Junichi ate only one each, and she ate all the rest) she probably got drowsy, so she took a nap. That's just like Rihoko's phlegmatic no-willpower self, who gets exhausted already after only three press-ups

Quote:
Rihoko didn't wear a kimono, despite being in the tea club? On top of that, she can't even make tea well!
Rihoko failing at doing the tea ceremony (and from the looks of it, she doesn't know how to wear a kimono) just proves what I already said: she's only there for eating pastries, not for the tea or anything else

Quote:
incompetent at anything except eating.

I am not happy with this arc. There is no spark, and Rihoko is not merely a clumsy but actually bad at nearly everything.
Sad but true
The flashback shows us she's always had a talent for eating, but not much more. She's not too smart either. When you look at the ema at the shrine, you'll see (besides the sloppy handwriting) that she can't even write kanji properly

Neither good looks nor smart... poor girl

As for the progress, or rather lack thereof - that's just as pathetic
Only one episode left to get from 0 to 100. I seriously doubt they can do that without it looking totally unnatural. As the last episode's title is "Farewell" though, they possibly won't get together (which would make much more sense than if they suddenly did).

Total verdict: 6+1/10 => the +1 is for the nice Ai scene at the beginning, and for the good Miya stuff (esp. Miya in towel/bath ). They really should've done a Miya arc instead of this painfully phlegmatic Rihoko arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroryoko1974 View Post
I don't see how people could say that Sea's arc was the worst. This arc has been terrible.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
Rihoko explaining why she doesn't want to become an Idol
Because she'd have to lose weight - 10 kg or somesuch, which won't be happening before hell freezes over, with her complete lack of willpower
Old 2010-11-12, 20:19   Link #49
brain
house music addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
...Or that's what I hope. The title of the last episode is not very uplifting.
It's Rihoko's story, not Junichi's this time. She has to say goodbye to the graduating members of the Tea Club. How in the world would it make sense for her and Junichi to part ways when they still have another year of school left and they're even talking about going to the same college?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2010-11-12, 23:11   Link #50
wingman32x

Decent episode. The scene where Hibiki hands Ai the recipe made the episode for me. I thought that was well done. LOL @ Rihoko automatically falling asleep during math problems. I like how Junichi is slowly getting more interested in tea. I'm really liking that subplot. The new years wish written by Rihoko at the end was adorable. I really hope things end well for her next episode.

7/10.
Old 2010-11-12, 23:13   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I guess no one really cares what me and Shiroth have been trying to explain.
Old 2010-11-13, 00:05   Link #52
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
The flashback shows us she's always had a talent for eating, but not much more. She's not too smart either. When you look at the ema at the shrine, you'll see (besides the sloppy handwriting) that she can't even write kanji properly

Neither good looks nor smart... poor girl
That's really not bad for hasty writing with a permanent marker on a small wooden plate. Only the first error is really anything substantial (having the vertical line cross there changes the radical). The rest are still readable at least. So her handwriting is sloppy sometimes. Fine.
Old 2010-11-13, 02:12   Link #53
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

8/10

This episode is not that bad even if there is little character development. I won't be surprised if they end up as friends. Junichi showed no interest to Rihoko. He doesn't even feel ashamed when his towel fell off.

Anyway the next episode would probably be Junichi realizing that he has feelings for Rihoko but there will be no confession. Maybe an embrace or something...Or maybe Rihoko will be content on her current relationship with Junichi...
Old 2010-11-13, 04:07   Link #54
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Total verdict: 6+1/10 => the +1 is for the nice Ai scene at the beginning, and for the good Miya stuff (esp. Miya in towel/bath ). They really should've done a Miya arc instead of this painfully phlegmatic Rihoko arc
You know that's what I gets me riled up the most for this episode. I don't hate Ai and I like Miya, but who the hell cares about the oden recipe? That could have been shown in Ai's arc instead. Also, the Miya bath scene fanservice scene is so freaking long that it could have been saved for her own arc instead. It's Rihoko arc right? RIGHT STAFF? If so, lets concentrate on the main couple instead! Holy jeebus amagami staff! What the heck was with the awkward(and poorly animated dance from miya and rihoko? Is that even from the game!? Aren't there also better scenes to choose from?

I felt the first 2 episodes had some pretty good build up, but then they decided to throw pacing and development of out the window this week. I don't have much faith in this show anymore. I don't have expectations for ayatsuji arc either,but since I'm already this far, I might else well go all the way to the end....ughhhh arrrrghhhhh AHHHHHHHHHH RAAAAGHHHHHH *RAGE ON*
Old 2010-11-13, 07:50   Link #55
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Not that surprised really . Ah well.

Quote:
Because she'd have to lose weight - 10 kg or somesuch, which won't be happening before hell freezes over, with her complete lack of willpower
That wasn't Rihoko's reason. Yet again making up your own material for the series?
Old 2010-11-13, 08:47   Link #56
Cyblaster
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
That's really not bad for hasty writing with a permanent marker on a small wooden plate. Only the first error is really anything substantial (having the vertical line cross there changes the radical). The rest are still readable at least. So her handwriting is sloppy sometimes. Fine.
I'd say that the third character is also on the same level of bad as the first one (at best, there's a stroke missing).

The second and last characters look pretty normal to me (a Chinese person) for a quick job. The joining of the strokes for those characters is pretty common for handwriting (in Chinese) as far as I can tell
Old 2010-11-13, 10:02   Link #57
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

The main problem is that for this kind of format, we don't need to have such episode. It's too slow. This kind of episode is for 13 or 26 episodes serie with a main female character not for a 4 episodes one.
Old 2010-11-13, 10:06   Link #58
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyblaster View Post
I'd say that the third character is also on the same level of bad as the first one (at best, there's a stroke missing).
Eh, the first stroke on the right is a compound stroke, so I could see it ending up like that in a hurry. The way she writes that right half bears a resemblance to katakana ke, actually. She might have accidentally written one for the other without realizing it. I doubt she bothered proofreading to catch her mistakes.
Old 2010-11-13, 10:10   Link #59
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
You know that's what I gets me riled up the most for this episode. I don't hate Ai and I like Miya, but who the hell cares about the oden recipe? That could have been shown in Ai's arc instead. Also, the Miya bath scene fanservice scene is so freaking long that it could have been saved for her own arc instead. It's Rihoko arc right? RIGHT STAFF? If so, lets concentrate on the main couple instead! Holy jeebus amagami staff! What the heck was with the awkward(and poorly animated dance from miya and rihoko? Is that even from the game!? Aren't there also better scenes to choose from?
This is a common thing though. The "Lets show every girl" policy hurt Ai's arc pretty bad, too. Opting to show Sae and Miya walking home from school over some awesome scenes from the manga.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:02   Link #60
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Yes because the arc is really going to end with just friends...Not only would that be like kneeing every Riho fan in the family jewels, but it just plain wouldn't even make sense.

If they wanted to make this arc some sort of aberration...A lesson that things don't always go your way they could have done a helluva lot better job with it. If they were going for an unrequited feeling to the arc then they failed miserably.

Just putting small little bits of pseudo melancholy like her lamenting in the opening monologue or secretly writing little wishes on a piece of wood, which make up barely a 20th of the content of this arc and are rarely given the importance they would need (Hell we've spent more time becoming emotionally involved in the fate of the stupid Tea Club then these two's "relationship" at this point it feels...).

If your somehow suggesting that all this bad pacing and poor storytelling is leading up to some platonic relationship then the producers deserve a pat on the back and a punch in the face for a masterful troll...Not that I personally think it will end like that.

*Hopefully noone takes that diatribe personally...Just a very exhausted fan...Remember kids shipping isn't good for your health...*

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Closed Thread