AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-11-05, 20:04   Link #1241
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Off topic

watching LH is making me want to play a mmorpg.

I thinking either RO2 or Aion. which is better or do you guys have a better suggestion.
Old 2013-11-05, 20:08   Link #1242
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'll also point out two things:
- giving people simple tasks with clear goals would help. Boredom and idleness are their enemies. Not, say, starvation or disease, the usual enemies of castaways.
- they're immortal. That alone is a huge advantage over medieval would-be explorers. They also have means of instantaneous communication and memories of a modern society. All that adds up to: the hurdles they face to discover or confirm a few basic facts about their situation are very, very low. Sure, they'll run out of easy stuff eventually. But they haven't, yet.
One of things not readily apparent in the anime, but constantly hammered home in the books (particularly the first two books) is how many players simply lost hope from the onset, and stopped caring. The fact that food had no taste didn't help matters any. Players like Shiroe, who had their heads on their shoulders enough to start wondering a bit outside the box, are not the norm.

Heck, in the second book, the return of food that actually tastes like food becomes a HUGE deal, and serves as the catalyst for change and action that you're asking for.
Old 2013-11-05, 20:10   Link #1243
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
I think the problem is that you're trying to read my mind instead of plainly reading what I wrote. I'm not saying I'm dissatisfied with the characters. I'm saying I disagree with the diagnosis there's nothing they can do but putz around and take care of only immediate goals. There's a lot to do, and no way to tell if it's going to help or not before you've done it.

- giving people simple tasks with clear goals would help. Boredom and idleness are their enemies. Not, say, starvation or disease, the usual enemies of castaways.
- they're immortal. That alone is a huge advantage over medieval would-be explorers. They also have means of instantaneous communication and memories of a modern society. All that adds up to: the hurdles they face to discover or confirm a few basic facts about their situation are very, very low. Sure, they'll run out of easy stuff eventually. But they haven't, yet.
I dont know, maybe you do think like that, but from what I read its more like you expect them to do more, if that is not so then Im sorry.

Then again,maybe the players can do more than just being idle, but that is a large maybe. They probably arent able to do that in their state of mind at that time, with the confusion, helplessness, and fear. Maybe if they ignore all that and focus on trying to get some clue, they can do more. But emotions are really hard to control, and will affect judgement and action. If emotions are easy to control, there would probably less problems, both in that world and in this world

Those two points you said.
-having simple task? like asking npc's for questions? The thought of need to ask that many npc alone can be very discouraging. Then lets say a player did just that. He asked npc after npc after npc, over, and over, and over again. Unless he can get the result relatively fast he might need to repeat that again, and again. That is repetivite,and boring, and also moral-shattering. That wouldnt be good for larger picture

-They arent really immortal. They just cannot die permanently. They still feel pain, and can die. That alone can be pretty horrifying. I dont think anyone find the prospect of excruciating pain and death pleasant, even if the can resurrect later(except for probably masochist)
They probably cant get disease, we dont know that yet, but they can feel hunger, and tiredness. And I think most of the player's modern knowledge would be mostly useless, especially the young ones. Some of their knowledge probably would be technology dependent, some of the players were probably neet, and so on.Sure the older playes might have more relevant knowldege, but it is still a concern if they can spread that knowledge to be useful enough.
Old 2013-11-05, 20:14   Link #1244
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Spoiler for NPC stuff:

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-11-05 at 21:35.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 20:16   Link #1245
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler?:
Maybe you should spoiler that.
Old 2013-11-05, 21:35   Link #1246
JediNight
キズランダム

We dedicated sub-forum now! Woo! ;x

And in case anyone missed it: You can submit fanart or fan letters now at this link:
http://www9.nhk.or.jp/anime/loghoriz...ter/index.html

As per Mamare Touno on his Twitter.

Also: Do they just have bots doing warnings or something? I got a warning for "spoilers" from a post of mine made before they created the sub-forum. And what I said was also in spoiler tags clearly labeled as a spoiler for events happening in the next few episodes of the anime.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 21:39   Link #1247
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I thinking either RO2 or Aion. which is better or do you guys have a better suggestion.
Don't touch RO2. The original Ragnarok Online is leagues better.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 21:53   Link #1248
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
We dedicated sub-forum now! Woo! ;x

And in case anyone missed it: You can submit fanart or fan letters now at this link:
http://www9.nhk.or.jp/anime/loghoriz...ter/index.html

As per Mamare Touno on his Twitter.

Also: Do they just have bots doing warnings or something? I got a warning for "spoilers" from a post of mine made before they created the sub-forum. And what I said was also in spoiler tags clearly labeled as a spoiler for events happening in the next few episodes of the anime.
Probably due to this
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113517
http://forums.animesuki.com/faq.php?..._spoilerpolicy
"Regardless of these exceptions, any comment that discloses an event, character, plot or other information before it is revealed within the specific work being discussed is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags."

This thread was originally anime discussion thread
Old 2013-11-05, 23:06   Link #1249
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Off topic

watching LH is making me want to play a mmorpg.

Hearthstone.
Old 2013-11-06, 00:23   Link #1250
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
I think the problem is that you're trying to read my mind instead of plainly reading what I wrote. I'm not saying I'm dissatisfied with the characters. I'm saying I disagree with the diagnosis there's nothing they can do but putz around and take care of only immediate goals. There's a lot to do, and no way to tell if it's going to help or not before you've done it.

Anh, you really think like the author.
What you say is all true, and specifically pertains to the story. I think you and Mamare have a similar thought workings.
Old 2013-11-06, 00:27   Link #1251
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Mods have a no spoiler policy with the anime sections. Literally no spoiler. You can spoiler away in the light novel sections though.
Old 2013-11-06, 00:27   Link #1252
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Well it leads to that eventually Aohige, but what Shiroe does first is create STABILITY for Akihabara. With that taken care of, then figuring out the workings of the world can be focused on full-force, yes?

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2013-11-06 at 00:45.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 00:40   Link #1253
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yeah, but we're not seeing the whole view, because the camera has been fixated on Shiroe.
Check out West Wind Brigade manga for another view, it's a really nice compliment to the series.

It follows the early days after the Apocalypse through Soujirou's eyes, and him being a prominent guild leader in Akiba, we get to see what the prominent characters in Akiba (the leaders you see in the OP lined up) were doing in the early days while Shiroe was off to Susukino.
It gives spotlight to many characters that only have minimum appearance in the main story despite being important figures.
Old 2013-11-06, 00:46   Link #1254
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Well that, and also shows that Hamelin isn't quite a pushover as the next few episodes might suggest.
Old 2013-11-06, 02:24   Link #1255
Eijigawa
Half-assed Nightmare~

Log Horizon Enters WS !!!

I was expecting this:

Old 2013-11-06, 02:58   Link #1256
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
I dont know, maybe you do think like that, but from what I read its more like you expect them to do more, if that is not so then Im sorry.

Then again,maybe the players can do more than just being idle, but that is a large maybe. They probably arent able to do that in their state of mind at that time, with the confusion, helplessness, and fear. Maybe if they ignore all that and focus on trying to get some clue, they can do more. But emotions are really hard to control, and will affect judgement and action. If emotions are easy to control, there would probably less problems, both in that world and in this world
Demiglace, for all his faults, had the leadership and charisma to bring order and unity to his town. Too bad he used it to become a two-bit tyrant. But it's not out of question that out there, there are people with just as much leadership, and a better moral compass and long-term view.

Quote:
Those two points you said.
-having simple task? like asking npc's for questions? The thought of need to ask that many npc alone can be very discouraging. Then lets say a player did just that. He asked npc after npc after npc, over, and over, and over again. Unless he can get the result relatively fast he might need to repeat that again, and again. That is repetivite,and boring, and also moral-shattering. That wouldnt be good for larger picture
So share the load. Plenty of players, plenty of different tasks.

Quote:
-They arent really immortal. They just cannot die permanently.
Yeah. Immortal.

Quote:
They still feel pain, and can die. That alone can be pretty horrifying. I dont think anyone find the prospect of excruciating pain and death pleasant, even if the can resurrect later(except for probably masochist)
They're also overpowered enough to avoid making that such a big problem. Especially if they're smart and share information.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 03:25   Link #1257
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
*snips*
Why do I have the feeling you're not actually reading what me, Estavali, or Aohige (who HAS the physical copies and can read the web versions) have to say. Because we've covered most of your "complaints" so far with our answers.
Old 2013-11-06, 03:47   Link #1258
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Eh, his questions are valid arguments though.
It's just too early in the series to cover everything with introduction episodes.
Old 2013-11-06, 03:52   Link #1259
tsunade666

The only overpowered are the characters who are level cap. The newbies or the lower levels will have hard time. Heck even the veteran will hard time exploring. The game they are playing on their PC turn real. Can't you even imagine the mentality of the people there? They will be scared. Even if one resurrect in me cathedral. The pain of dying still hurts. And I can't imagine the people moving immediately. They need time to adjust or people that can guide them.
Old 2013-11-06, 04:41   Link #1260
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Why do I have the feeling you're not actually reading what me, Estavali, or Aohige (who HAS the physical copies and can read the web versions) have to say. Because we've covered most of your "complaints" so far with our answers.
What, that basically, it happened offscreen somewhere else? My "complaint" is that some people are saying "Nope, no way it could happen, what Shiroe did is the absolute best anyone could have done and there's absolutely nothing else to be done."

Or that "people are too delicate to possibly do anything"? Because I've addressed that.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, nyanderful, science fiction, seinen, shounen