AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2005-01-01, 23:50   Link #1
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Immaterial and Missing Power

Wow, a doujin fighting game (mostly projectile based) based on a doujin shmup series. A good one, I might add. No crazy air juggles here, its almost all shooting your projectiles, spell cards, oh my.
The game truly shines through its Story Mode, where every character is like a major boss from a sidescroller. Dashing all through the projectiles, avoiding all the supers, your skills will be tested to the limit. The game doesn't play like Melty Blood, or any other conventional fighting games, but it shines in its own way.
Two thumbs up.
And C67 triumphs once again.
Time for some more screens.

And now, to get those Touhou albums....
Zephronite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 06:03   Link #2
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

It does look quite different from a regular fighting game. How are the controls, with regards to responsiveness and such?
Old 2005-01-02, 06:39   Link #3
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

Controls are responsive enough. One beef I have with the game is that collison detection is a bit dodgy. If you are too close to a char and let loose a projectile, it goes right though them.
Old 2005-01-02, 10:45   Link #4
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Judging from those screenshots, I wonder what kind of skills you need to dodge those attacks...

It looks pretty interesting though, a fighting game with some special flare to it, as opposed to the typical "punch, kick, hadoken" type.
Old 2005-01-03, 05:06   Link #5
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

It's a very very different fighting game. Unlike any fighting game that I've ever played before. It stays incredibly close to its touhou roots in the story mode option of the game. If you've played the other touhou games before, you know that each stage has a boss with a variety of different spellcards that you have to defeat within a certain time limit. It's the same in this game, well, the story mode anyway. Each stage consists of fighting one character with a pattern of special moves (spellcards) that you have to defeat within a certain time limit, but in 2d fighting mode adaptation of the vertical shooter. From what I've played, some patterns are usually block till you see a hole in the pattern and then attack, but it appears, just like the shooters games that each pattern would vary with difficulty. There's 4 difficulties, easy/normal/lunatic/hard. So 4 different patterns per spell card. This is just the story mode. Like the shooters, the game also keeps a record of what spell cards you've beaten, what difficulty, the score you've gotten from each, and how many times you've beaten em or lost.

Of course there are other modes, arcade mode which lets you play the game regular 2d fighter (no-spellcard 'patterns' to defeat, but instead regular spellcard supers), versus, cpu-versus, practice, and even replay and music mode.

The game has a few basic quirks too. While it appears that you would use your projectiles over regular melee attacks, the problem with this is that if you do use your projectiles too much, you lose the ability to block and also the ability to use your projectiles until the bar at the bottom refills up. Melee attacks do huge amounts of damage anyway. If i'm not mistaken, you can air-dash through non-beam projectiles. Doing your card activation refills a bit of lost hp guage. No idea what the usefulness of the bombs are (cancels?).

What's cool is just like the EFZ games, each character is 'completely' different from the other characters.

Artwork and music are topnotch. Some definately recognizable tracks.

Great game, with replay value to boot.

If anyone wants a stab at it, there's a demo on the gamesite: http://tasofro.net/touhou/download.html which gives 3 stages of story mode as Reimu and a few playable characters in the other modes.

Reimu forever~

edit: Well, you don't have to 'beat' the spellcard within the time limit in story mode, but to have it record as beating it in the results page, you would have to get some bonus points within the bonus point countdown. somewhat hard to explain... like in the 2nd screenshot above, the 'bonus' would countdown to zero.
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 08:13   Link #6
Zephronite
gorogorogorogoro

If you want an easy time, pick Marisa. She has beam attacks and a insane super mega hyper beam Super that takes off 90% of a lifebar.
Old 2005-01-03, 15:21   Link #7
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephronite
If you want an easy time, pick Marisa. She has beam attacks and a insane super mega hyper beam Super that takes off 90% of a lifebar.
lol, not necessarily 90% but a good chunk. 32% actually, if it connects. Though the super depleats your projectile guage and you lose your ability to block, so the enemy just has to use her super to counter on a block. There's actually two levels of supers. One on the first run and if you get defeated, you get to use your second super (you know how you pick two spellcards when you choose your character?) which are stronger. Not sure how strong Marisa's 2nd beam super is, probably more than 32%.

btw, non-projectile combos are really hard to do and the weak attack doesn't seem to help to them as much as it would in most fighting games.
MetaFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-15, 20:55   Link #8
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Necromancy!!
Didn't like the idea of a dupe topic so I just revived a thread. Someone slap me if this is bad (as some forums would rather have a dupe topic than necromancy)

Anyway, no one plays IaMP here? It's incredibly fun and balanced to boot (I don't see only three characters played, and the lowest ranked character actually won tourneys).

The above information was based on probably version 1.0 of IaMP, so it's quite dated. Anyway, the part about juggles isn't entirely true. Granted that most combos you'll see done in IaMP is situational (no specific/guaranteed setups) but there are combos around - and not just j.RH cr.RH mind you, the damage on these can range from 1/3 - 1/2 of a lifebar.

I think it's best to just show a tourney block finals match to showcase the game...
This is featuring IaMP's high ranked characters, Yuyuko (blue) and Pacchu (projectile spam fest).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baazgkh2KLM

Uhmm... okay. In case some of you are wondering after the vid, why they go through bullets; projectiles can be dash through. If you dash, you don't take damage and sometimes (most of the time) neutralize the bullets (but it's dependent on the projectile).

Last edited by celcius; 2007-02-15 at 21:10.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote