AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-20, 11:27   Link #8461
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
Akira, Nodoka and Yue shouldn't be the only students that know better and defend Negi here.
Not to mention Yue and Nodoka needed to be ashamed and nudged, AFTER allowing Chizuru to use her artifact on Negi (despite the fact Nodoka HAD an artifact that would have achieved the same effect much less painfully and without humiliating him. Just have her hidden somewhere near while another student walks up to Negi and asks him out of the blue "Who do you like?" Negi won't answer, of course, but the answer will come to his mind all the same). They'd actually have had more success there, since Negi couldn't have resisted the way he did to Chizuru's pactio (some Pactio, BTW. The only time it's used for anything, it's against its own magister. And it FAILS).

Really, any story where that happens, AND Setsuna draws her sword against Asuna for no good reason (and right after devoting a chapter to how much she idolizes Asuna now, AND she knows they'll lose Asuna "forever" now), AND Kaede tosses shurinken at her own classmates, isn't anything but Character Derailment. All for the sake of aping Love Hina, which wasn't a bad series at all (it ended much better than this), but just wasn't the same thing. It's as if Akamatsu just lost view of what each of his stories was supposed to mean.

It's funny how, other than Akira and Asuna, the only two students who actually stick to Negi's side all the way through are Yotsuba and Hakase, who have zero romantic interest for him.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 11:51   Link #8462
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
Not to mention Yue and Nodoka needed to be ashamed and nudged, AFTER allowing Chizuru to use her artifact on Negi (despite the fact Nodoka HAD an artifact that would have achieved the same effect much less painfully and without humiliating him. Just have her hidden somewhere near while another student walks up to Negi and asks him out of the blue "Who do you like?" Negi won't answer, of course, but the answer will come to his mind all the same). They'd actually have had more success there, since Negi couldn't have resisted the way he did to Chizuru's pactio (some Pactio, BTW. The only time it's used for anything, it's against its own magister. And it FAILS).
I still think that Nodoka and Yue are pretty much forced into this by Haruna and just "played along" until they they found an opportunity to come to Negi's aide. After all, unless Ken Akamatsu is really showing that he doesn't give a crap about the story anymore, pretending to side with 3-A is the only explanation as to why Yue would even try to use a magic attack on Asuna (as she would know better that magic doesn't work on Asuna). Of course, him caring about the stort also explains why Nodoka didn't simply use the Diarium Ejus on Negi (as it goes against the whole idea of why she got the book in the first place)

Quote:
Really, any story where that happens, AND Setsuna draws her sword against Asuna for no good reason (and right after devoting a chapter to how much she idolizes Asuna now, AND she knows they'll lose Asuna "forever" now), AND Kaede tosses shurinken at her own classmates, isn't anything but Character Derailment. All for the sake of aping Love Hina, which wasn't a bad series at all (it ended much better than this), but just wasn't the same thing. It's as if Akamatsu just lost view of what each of his stories was supposed to mean.
That's percisely the biggest problem with the Sports Festival arc: it's pretty much Ken Akamatsu devolving back into his days of writing Love Hina, and given all the character growth we've seen between the "Kiss Negi" contest (which serves as the last real "harem comedy" bit before the story really became more shonen-focused) and the Sports Festival arc, that pretty much requires a lot of character development to be thrown out the window.

Last edited by TnAdct1; 2012-05-20 at 15:46.
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 13:15   Link #8463
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
Keroko, I believe the point Hata is trying to make is, for other reasons (which seems to be regarding his contract with Kadokawa and the neighbor copyrights law) Ken had to end the manga there. He either could have used the last few chapters to make the manga goes to a very rushed end, or do what seems to be the case he did: If he is going to do a sequel later, continue the manga as he would, giving some hints (like that Negi already had special feelings for someone) without giving any big thing away, and just give a quick skip to be the end. That way he ends the current one while keeping ground for the sequel. After all rushing all the plot points and battles we had yet to see in a few chapters would also likely end up as a bad end. But one with no interest / space for he to continue.
And my point is that he could have at least used those few chapters to tie up some of the minor plotpoints that have been around since the beginning, rather than waste them on an arc that had no point whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
When people say six, did they include the stupid shota-rape attempt arc? Because I'm pretty sure that one alone counts more than six...
That's pretty much the arc I'm talking about. The others at least have some concluding threads in them.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 16:39   Link #8464
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
I'm way tired here, so someone remind me as to the updated year that Negi is born.
same birthday as Rina Sato, and that is not a coincidence.
http://www.mangareader.net/mahou-sensei-negima/352/8

Quote:
Eh, If what happened in the so-called finale will not change I'm not really interested.
then you are a living proof why Ken left the final partner choice hidden, to temporary end it Ken has to show us the ending without the process, but some people once knew the end might lose interest even if there is a future returns to fill in the gaps, thus, Ken purposely made the final partner selection a mystery to keep people's interest, which of course led us to the sports festival again. it is a hook for a Negima 2.

Quote:
The two F-you's-from-the-creators I've received this year from both Negima and Mass Effect kinda killed my enthusiasm.

I'll probably stay here so when any Arika spoilers pop up I'll know which chapter to get (and that chapter only) but the days of me waiting expectantly every week for Negima updates is long gone.
but you still care enough to bitch err, post how unsatisfied you are, ACG would call that tsundere tendency I believe.

I see quite a few Negima manga set for sell in my neck of the wood (complete set only short of the last few volumes), but I haven't seen anyone with a book burning video on youtube like School Rumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
(more complaints deleted)
the only thing I can say about the way you and most people who sounds displeased about Negima's "supposed" ending, and all the reasons you give for it, it would be valid if it is REALLY the end of Negima, and as we now confirmed with 38, it MIGHT NOT, (notice I was withholding my opinion about the Negima ending until then?) and even if it does really end here, mangaka are not slaves or circus monkey who are obligated to perform for people's pleasure 24hrs a day no matter how popular they are, real life intervene with a manga series all the time, Ken has his reason for ending Negima the Kodansha version the way it is, what is the reason, since he has not gone public I have no idea, if all you are so frustrated because a mangaka needs to take a long break in between, then I really hope you aren't following HxH and FSS, 2 of the more popular manga in history with breaks calculated in 'years", (FSS starts in 1986 with only 12 books completed, mind you.) Ken at least has the decency to put an ending point on the series instead of leaving the story hanging. I, as a fan of FSS, (which has 10 times the story complexity of Negima) has long ago giving up the hope of able to see the end of FSS in my life time.

I understand this is basically a blowing off steam session for most of you, and the fact that you need to do that is because you actually like Negima very much, (yeah, no matter how much people trash it, you won't be here and it wouldn't hurt so much if you don't like it.) but if manga is real life, you all would need therapy, compare to some other people's life time leisure interest suffering, like being a Cubs or Bills fan, this is child play,

if it might help, instead here, you can send msg directly to Ken's Facebook to let him know how you feel and declaring not supporting his future works, may be that would make you people feel better? trust me, he can understand anything google translate can handle, I mean, if this Negima ending is REALLY this bad for you guys, you sure don't hate it enough to stay away from it. just a hint of possible return is enough to keep you guys in a dead forum months after the series had ended.
Old 2012-05-20, 17:26   Link #8465
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
and even if it does really end here, mangaka are not slaves or circus monkey who are obligated to perform for people's pleasure 24hrs a day no matter how popular they are, real life intervene with a manga series all the time, Ken has his reason for ending Negima the Kodansha version the way it is, what is the reason, since he has not gone public I have no idea, if all you are so frustrated because a mangaka needs to take a long break in between, then I really hope you aren't following HxH and FSS, 2 of the more popular manga in history with breaks calculated in 'years", (FSS starts in 1986 with only 12 books completed, mind you.) Ken at least has the decency to put an ending point on the series instead of leaving the story hanging. I, as a fan of FSS, (which has 10 times the story complexity of Negima) has long ago giving up the hope of able to see the end of FSS in my life time.
Ugh. Not the "mangaka aren't slaves" defense. Please spare me.

Are mangaka slaves? No. Do they have the responsibility to make an acceptable story? Yes. Let's face the music here, these guys aren't fanfiction writes who provide free entertainment. These are people who make a product and as such have a standard to uphold to their paying customers. No, you can't please everyone, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse to hide behind what is simply bad storytelling, and it certainly does not, in in shape, way or form, place them above criticism.

So please, please spare me the "mangaka aren't slaves" defense. It holds no valid facts or observations in relation to the quality of the story whatsoever and in no way does it show that the ending isn't... well... bad. It's an empty defense meant to appeal to a sense of pity to shut up the opposition which, I have to say, is a pretty cowardly way of trying to win an argument.

The rest of your post was quite the baseless accusation. What? Are you assuming we think all of Negima is bad now? No! We still like Negima, we just believe that this ending is utter crap, even for a sequel hook. The sports arc is still a waste of chapters, Asuna's drama was still a mess of Deus Ex and the ending is still a load of "wait what?" Far better spots for the ending exist, but the current one is just a cheap attempt at covering for himself in case he doesn't start a sequel. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for a sequel (hell I was the first to throw out the theory in this thread), but that doesn't change that the current ending is just bad.

And do try to see the difference between criticism and complaints. Ours is most assuredly the former.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-05-20 at 17:54.
Old 2012-05-20, 18:52   Link #8466
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
but you still care enough to bitch err, post how unsatisfied you are, ACG would call that tsundere tendency I believe.
No, Tsundere is bitching while secretly caring. This is me as customer ranting the deteriorating quality of the franchise - a customer who will hold my grudge to the grave. I don't care about Akamatsu anymore - the days of me believing that he is actually better than most mangakas out there is long over. Don't you dare put words in my mouth.

And the only reason I don't burn my books is because I never burn books, even the old ones. but make no mistake, hell will freeze before I buy the rest of it.

Especially the g*ddamn shota-rape attempt arc.
Old 2012-05-20, 22:25   Link #8467
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Thanks for the condescending mocking tone. That's very helpful, classy and welcomed and really helps your cause.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 22:48   Link #8468
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cult-like zealotry for the lose.... :P
Old 2012-05-21, 01:27   Link #8469
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
So please, please spare me the "mangaka aren't slaves" defense. It holds no valid facts or observations in relation to the quality of the story whatsoever and in no way does it show that the ending isn't... well... bad.
And do try to see the difference between criticism and complaints. Ours is most assuredly the former.
since you conveniently ignore my statement, I would remind you again in quotation,
Quote:
it would be valid if it is REALLY the end of Negima, and as we now confirmed with 38, it MIGHT NOT,
now with a possibility of continuation, none of your "criticisms" are valid, the fact you and others keep harping on the "bad ending" making them frivolous complaints, guess what? Negima had NOT ended, says who? says the author, does that mean we will have a Negima 2? no, it is not guarantee, but who else is a more reliable source for thing like this than the author himself?

need I remind you the most important quote in Ken's statements? "hopefully when you read the future Negima, ALL YOUR QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED." did he know he left an incomplete work on the table and walk away? of course, did he know the readers will get pissed, sure, no common sense mangaka is that stupid or naive, Ken knows all that, then the question is, why did he go ahead and do that anyway?

trust me, if Negima definitely ended at 38 the way it is WITH NO PROPER CAUSE, I will join you guys months ago in bashing it, but a blind guy could have seen something is up behind the scenes, so I decide to wait for more information, and truth to be told there are still not enough info to make a proper judgement, but don't you realize it is no longer such a black and white issue? only a fool would not let new information to possibiliy change his opinion, and so, are you a fool?

and yes, I would still say this even if it is not popular here, Ken did not own anyone anything, this is a free capitalist society we are talking about, Ken has something to sell, we like it and buy it, does not mean Ken is obligated to keep on selling it just because we had giving him money, he can stop anytime he wants with any reasons or even no reason at all, that is his free right, and of course he will absorb damages to his reputation and future sales, that is the only way we buyer/readers can check and balance the system, but if he doesn't give a darn? there is absolutely nothing wrong with him or us, he won't get any of our future money, we won't get any of his future work, that is the way it works,

or the short version? get over it.

Quote:
Especially the g*ddamn shota-rape attempt arc.
if you really feel that, like I say, go ahead and write to Ken, he won't know how strong you personally feel until you tell him,

(that I mark down as a culture gap between Japanese readers and international readers, I had read many Japanese blogs, none are offend by it, I personally thought it was funny, shocking? yes, but how else are you going to carry through the onion in the butt joke (which is part of the JAPAN CULTURE) that has foreshadows all the way back to the Wilhelm arc? of course they censor Ken from using the "crazy" word because they were unacceptable in Japan, and we will probably think they are too sensitive. remember, most Japanese and Europeans can't accept the American style guns/violence in movie, while most Americans can't accept the sex joke/culture from Japan/Europe, if this onion in butt joke is really as offensive for Japanese as for you, wouldn't you think the Japan PTA will let Ken and Kodansha feel their anger long before now?

beside, Ken has an out, the onion did not physically penetrate, it was all magic that simulate the effects, (think Ako's needle) which explains the untorn pants, I guess just the image is too graphic for some?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
Thanks for the condescending mocking tone. That's very helpful, classy and welcomed and really helps your cause.
1. condescending and mocking? no no, just trying to be humorous, and obviously not working? (can't people tell the purpose of smiley placement anymore?) I guess people who has a torch to burn can see flame in every sparkle.

2. I have no cause on this, I am merely posting my opinions, just like you did yours, and like I say above, neither your or mine opinions would change anything, and there are always people who disagree with you, I understand all that, but it sure seems like I am the only one who say "nay" on a lynch party? (please note, duly used.)

Last edited by Hata; 2012-05-21 at 01:37.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 01:28   Link #8470
ellifeedn
Thinker

Oy vey, not this again. Look, we all understand that Akamatsu could have made a better and more conclusive ending, but what's done is done and arguing about it is not going to change it. Saying whether or not you'll read any sequel story is not determined until it comes out, so complaining about that now is pointless.

I have other things I want to say but it's really late and I'm tired, so I'll save it for later.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 04:32   Link #8471
Merctrin
Immi

Spoiler for Whining. Of the dignified sort.:

Kind of getting at the subject at hand... I don't see a problem with people complaining about Negima's ending, even with the new information that more could be coming out of the series, because in my opinion, this particular version of Negima is ended. An alternate universe version could show up, and a sequel is possible, but this version had its ending, and it wasn't that great.

Er, as a note to anyone who bothered to read the spoilered material, it's late here, so I've elected not to reread it. If there's about a hundred contradictory rambling sentences... well, I think I got to what I really meant near the end.

My sincere apologies about the rambling.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:16   Link #8472
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
since you conveniently ignore my statement, I would remind you again in quotation,
I did not ignore it, in fact I did reply to it. To repeat:

"We just believe that this ending is utter crap, even for a sequel hook. The sports arc is still a waste of chapters, Asuna's drama was still a mess of Deus Ex and the ending is still a load of "wait what?" Far better spots for the ending exist, but the current one is just a cheap attempt at covering for himself in case he doesn't start a sequel. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for a sequel (hell I was the first to throw out the theory in this thread), but that doesn't change that the current ending is just bad."

Now with that out of the way, let's dive into the details once more.

Quote:
now with a possibility of continuation, none of your "criticisms" are valid, the fact you and others keep harping on the "bad ending" making them frivolous complaints, guess what? Negima had NOT ended, says who? says the author, does that mean we will have a Negima 2? no, it is not guarantee, but who else is a more reliable source for thing like this than the author himself?
Just because there will be a continuation does not change that the sports arc was a wase of chapters that could have been used wrapping up this arc and ripped several characters largely out of character.

Just because there will be a continuation does not change that the Asuna sealing was one big pile of overblown drama destroyed by its Deus Ex Machina ending (as much as I like Chao).

You keep saying "there will be a sequel, your complaints are irrelevant" but you never explain how a sequel will magically fix all this mess we got. The only thing a continuation can do is build on what's already there, which means that the plotholes and badly written arcs are there to stay.

It will not fix the wasted chapters, the warped characters, the irrelevant drama or the Deus Ex solutions.

Here's the point: I agree that all this is a sequel hook. I agree that it is highly likely there will be a sequel. I will repeat that I have been saying this thing way back in februari.

I just think it's a crappy sequel hook. Just because you're making a sequel, even with a cliffhanger, doesn't mean you shouldn't provide closure for the first part, and said closure should not be raising more questions than answers. That defies the point of closure.

Quote:
and yes, I would still say this even if it is not popular here, Ken did not own anyone anything, this is a free capitalist society we are talking about, Ken has something to sell, we like it and buy it, does not mean Ken is obligated to keep on selling it just because we had giving him money, he can stop anytime he wants with any reasons or even no reason at all, that is his free right, and of course he will absorb damages to his reputation and future sales, that is the only way we buyer/readers can check and balance the system, but if he doesn't give a darn? there is absolutely nothing wrong with him or us, he won't get any of our future money, we won't get any of his future work, that is the way it works,

or the short version? get over it.
My issue with the "he can do whatever he wants" argument is that it adds nothing to the debate. The entire point of criticism is to debate the pro's and cons of a story, but saying "well he can do whatever he wants" doesn't add anything to that. Or change anything, really. Yes, Ken could have chosen to make earth explode for no good reason. That doesn't change that such an ending would have been even worse than the current one.
Old 2012-05-21, 06:31   Link #8473
bonsobon

I'm suprised this thread is still active considering the manga finished a while ago. I mean is there really anything more to talk about, apart from a sequel which may or may not happen?
bonsobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 07:12   Link #8474
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
I'm suprised this thread is still active considering the manga finished a while ago. I mean is there really anything more to talk about, apart from a sequel which may or may not happen?
Given how all we're talking now is about the sequel and how it ties into the ending we already had, and seeing how the thread was all but dead between that end and this announcement, any new lack of news will most likely bury the thread again.

Quote:
beside, Ken has an out, the onion did not physically penetrate, it was all magic that simulate the effects, (think Ako's needle) which explains the untorn pants, I guess just the image is too graphic for some?)
That's just a cheap cop-out so he could have anal rape imagery while claiming it wasn't actual anal rape imagery. It still was creepy, and it was actual mental rape. On a ten year old. Who sacrificed everything including his humanity for these girls and their sake, only to be paid with a betrayal and abuse for a hideously petty reason. These aren't the true comrades Ala Alba were supposed to be, and not even 3-A in general. Even the Kissing Game, where all the girls did were hitting each other with pillows, was nothing compared to that, and that was volumes of supposed character development ago.
Old 2012-05-21, 07:20   Link #8475
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Whoa, slow down there. While I agree the sports arc was an out of character waste of space, I do think that claiming rape on what's been a running gag ever since Kotaro and Chizuru met is blowing things out of proportion.
Old 2012-05-21, 10:27   Link #8476
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Well, people who feel that Akamatsu-sensei raped their "whatever" with the sports festival chapter and the rapid ending haven't gotten over that.

Maybe it is just because I'm an old fart, but while I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with the ending of Negima!, I understand completely why the Sports Festival arc was done. Akamatsu-sensei had time to kill before his exclusive contract with Kodansha ended, but there wasn't time to do ANY of the plots any justice, especially since it STRONGLY APPEARS that there WILL BE A SEQUEL to the manga, he did a comedy story where he could allow ALL THE GIRLS to get some screen time. Then, he closed the books with a "Negi does find his father, and the girls grow up to be fine young women" moment, which isn't satisfying since so much was skipped, but it is closure. That ending will allow him to go back and do a sequel unhindered.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 17:46   Link #8477
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Whoa, slow down there. While I agree the sports arc was an out of character waste of space, I do think that claiming rape on what's been a running gag ever since Kotaro and Chizuru met is blowing things out of proportion.
But it was mental rape, that is, forced violation of someone else's mental integrity. There are no ways around it, that's what it was.

And to be honest, the anal rape gag was bad ever since the first time it was brought up. It basically ruined Chizuru's character reducing her to an one note gag, too.

Quote:
Well, people who feel that Akamatsu-sensei raped their "whatever" with the sports festival chapter and the rapid ending haven't gotten over that.
... See the signature. (I picked it two days before your post was made, by the way).
Old 2012-05-21, 18:13   Link #8478
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

the ending for Negima was a business decision not a creative one. It was a place holder while Akamatsu run out the clock on his contract. Akamatsu wasn't going to start or end any plot points because he was saving those for a sequel. People need to realize manga is a business, it is not just about art.
Old 2012-05-21, 20:38   Link #8479
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the ending for Negima was a business decision not a creative one. It was a place holder while Akamatsu run out the clock on his contract. Akamatsu wasn't going to start or end any plot points because he was saving those for a sequel. People need to realize manga is a business, it is not just about art.
We aren't actually sure about any of this. The only thing we have been given for sure is a tease there MIGHT be a new Negima work, most likely an Alternate Universe, so there's no way to say yet if that hypothetical new Negima would include the same plot points left hanging. Thus, saying he saved them for a sequel (which the supposed next Negima most likely won't be, at least not sequel from the original's ending point) is nothing but a wild guess yet.
Old 2012-05-21, 22:09   Link #8480
Cachalo

Having followed him this long, I'm used to ignoring Akamatsu's lowbrow humor ever since he tattooed the butt cheek of a minor in Love Hina so the Chizurugate never registered with me.

It only stands out because the whole story arc it appears in was olympically misplaced filler smack in the middle of Akamatsu's editorial activism getting in the way of everything else in the manga that actually mattered.
Cachalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy