AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-03-14, 14:33   Link #21
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
...Hey, this is a tad off topic, but with the two major Mech's being named after Knights of the round table, anyone else notice that the cat that's always biting Suzaku is "Arthur?" ...Hahaha, Lancelot slept with Arthur's wife, right? I'd understand Arthur may be a bit unhappy about that, hence the biting of Suzaku's hand...

I thought of this when I was wondering about what else they may name upcoming Knightmare Frames, and considered "Arthur" as possibly being one, given the theme, but... I don't think they'd name the cat and a mech the same thing.
Azure22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 15:22   Link #22
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure22 View Post
...Hey, this is a tad off topic, but with the two major Mech's being named after Knights of the round table, anyone else notice that the cat that's always biting Suzaku is "Arthur?" ...Hahaha, Lancelot slept with Arthur's wife, right? I'd understand Arthur may be a bit unhappy about that, hence the biting of Suzaku's hand...

I thought of this when I was wondering about what else they may name upcoming Knightmare Frames, and considered "Arthur" as possibly being one, given the theme, but... I don't think they'd name the cat and a mech the same thing.
Taniguchi and Co. have been chucking Arthurian/Irish/medieval references at us for a while already. Nothing new. So...yes, it's most likely part of their less-than-subtle attempt to ensconce us in that universe.

But for KF names, it depends. The way I see it is that mass-produced mechs (or at least classes having more than one unit each) would be given - like the others - names from cities, British districts and regions, like Sutherland, Glasgow, etc, while one-of-a-kind units (Lancelot, Gawain) that stand on their own would be christened after historical figures.

As for now, there are no news about new mechs, except a possibility that
Spoiler:
However, it's unlikely that something new will pop up. The Sutherland still stands on its own so there is no need to replace what isn't broken, worldwide weapon race or not.
Old 2007-03-14, 17:52   Link #23
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Well considering how Britannia's mechs are being chopped up easily by the Black Knight's new ones I think it's time they got something up to date.

Besides, they are elite pilots so they should get something that distinguishes them from the sutherlands and glousters.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 05:11   Link #24
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovoid View Post
Overall, their technology is pretty nice. If this series gets popular enough, I would love to see it premer in a future Super Robot Wars game.
It would. But since those are Real Robots who didn't reach 5 meters tall those would only appear in the J's serie ... A little off topic thought ...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 04:24   Link #25
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Anyone noticed that the Glenstone/Gladstone/Grandstone Knights had updated Gloucesters? I expected them to have new mechs from Lloyd's techno-lair in Britannia, but nah, they had simple mechs. I'm a bit curious about the shoulder attachments, though. At first sight they seem like missile/rocket launchers due to their boxy appearance, but who knows what they might hold...maybe airburst grenades dispensers? I'm quite against the possibility of them being hadron cannons, as Laksharta has complete monopoly of the Gefjun Disturber tech and experience right now. I'm still wondering, though, what else might they have.

During the battle of Narita, when commenting on Lancelot's seemingly berserk behavior, Cornelia observed that it was unseemly coming from her brother's mech...which means that he's patroned a few prototypes already, don't you think? Or at the very least, that he's quite into experimental designs...(Gawain, Avalon and Lancelot put aside, of course)
Old 2007-03-18, 06:58   Link #26
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Is it just me or are all the weights given on the KF's horribly out of scale? A M1 Abrams weighs 63 tonnes. There's no way that KF's only weigh a few tonnes unless they are plastic. They gotta be at least 20 tonnes.

Just thoght of something too, if KF's came about due to a need to attach legs to tank escape pods. Why aren't we seeing legs on the KF's escape pods.

Last edited by Hypernova; 2007-03-18 at 07:16.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 08:06   Link #27
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

^- Remember the 5th anime rule my friend.

Quote:
#5 - Law of Mechanical Mobility, Second Law of Anime Motion- The larger a
mechanical device is, the faster it moves, Armoured Mecha are the fastest objects
known to human science.
Illsteir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 06:59   Link #28
Dis Astranagant
Keeper of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Is it just me or are all the weights given on the KF's horribly out of scale? A M1 Abrams weighs 63 tonnes. There's no way that KF's only weigh a few tonnes unless they are plastic. They gotta be at least 20 tonnes.
This question has presented before for the anime Full Metal Panic. The M9, despite its size, only weighs around 10 tonnes. This is 1/6th of the weight of the Abrams. However, it could be justified that since the M9 used composite armor, it had every reason to be that light. Perhaps the KMFs use composite armor?

Another potential answer is that KMFs don't nearly have the firepower and armor to pack the weight of the M1. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I haven't seen a KMF that sports a gigantic 120 mm cannon. Futhermore, we have to remember uses depleted Uranium for ammunition and Uranium rods inside its armor. With this added to the fact that Uranium is a dense element, we're talking about a lot of weight added on here. I will develop this a bit more in my next point.

Black Technology was used to justify the existence of mecha in FMP, so then perhaps that the lack thereof nuclear technology and the advancement of superconductor technology could justify mecha in Code Geass? Nuclear technology is rather limited in the Code Geass univerese, a high school girl by the name of Nina Einstein perhaps knows more about it than any Britannian scientist. This could potenitally create a lack in the use of depleted Uranium, Uranium, and Uranium 235.

I'm not sure about this next part, but let's presume that these so called superconductors aren't as heavy as internal combustion engines. They have relatively high yields, so it's possible to say that you won't require this heavy reactor to power a KMF. This could also explain the lack in weight.

Honestly, I could rant about this all day. These are some of the more possible answers to your question though.

Last edited by Dis Astranagant; 2007-03-21 at 07:10.
Dis Astranagant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 16:22   Link #29
Azure22
Magic Pilot

Send a message via AIM to Azure22
Quote:
#5 - Law of Mechanical Mobility, Second Law of Anime Motion- The larger a
mechanical device is, the faster it moves, Armoured Mecha are the fastest objects
known to human science.
So true. ^^;;; A bit off topic, but where could I see the other rules of anime? I think I know one is that all colors in the visible light spectrum can work as natural hair color?
Azure22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-21, 16:44   Link #30
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure22 View Post
So true. ^^;;; A bit off topic, but where could I see the other rules of anime? I think I know one is that all colors in the visible light spectrum can work as natural hair color?
You could just have googled it, you know...things like these aren't that hard to find...

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~duongsaa/mor...animeRules.htm
Old 2007-03-21, 19:57   Link #31
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post

Just thoght of something too, if KF's came about due to a need to attach legs to tank escape pods. Why aren't we seeing legs on the KF's escape pods.
KF's are lighter then MBT, why do you think the Glasgow KF's used during the Japanese invasion, had anti-tank bazooka/recoiless rifle attachment when facing fully armoured tanks? even the sunderlands KF still used the shoulder mounted heavy weapons, as witnessed in the attack against the JLF HQ.

The KF sacrifice armour and pure mass for mobility and agility.

KF has a better advantage in Urban situation, can be deployed more esily, and yet still can fulfil the capacity the modern MBT can.
Old 2007-03-24, 13:03   Link #32
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Just what upgrade did Cornelia's KF & other KFs got from Schneizel?

I just see this dark red backpack thing they wear now? Any idea what upgrade they got? I doubt it's a float system.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 23:57   Link #33
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
The subs list it as a Zattel Buffer, not much I can say.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-27, 07:13   Link #34
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
No one wants to expand on the escape pod bit? To me they are suggest something along the lines of "Add wings to ejection seat of planes" -> "The ejection seat contraption got so big that it needs another ejection seat inside!" -> "Now where's the wings for the ejection seat of the ejection seat?"

As for the weight so far only FMP make sense since they are suggesting that most of the mass is artificial muscle polymer fibres i.e plastic.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 22:29   Link #35
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Well, look at the actual combat with KF. They don't take a whole lot of damage before they're disabled. The abrams, btw, weighs 68.4 tons in its M1A2 configuration and 61.4 in its orriginal configuration. Compared to a KF, though, the Abrams has a lot of heavy stuff they don't. Though my documentation doesn't have a weight break down, I know this much:
1) Engine block: this thing weighs a LOT. KFs have teeny little energy fillers instead
2) Reactive armor: KFs don't have a whole lot of armor, as I said before. Also, the abrams has several steel slabs that protect its treds, ect. KFs don't have joint armor
3) Cannon: 120mm of armor peircing goodness isn't light

In the end, KFs have smaller weapons, less armor, and a lot less engine/fuel weight. This explains the defficiency.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 22:28   Link #36
4Tran

Technically, tanks should slaughter Knightmare Frames, but the latter have the standard anime mecha bonus so they are depicted to be far superior. They don't hold up to close scrutiny, but then again, they're not really supposed to.
Old 2007-04-03, 00:24   Link #37
HunterRequiem
Resident cynic

Send a message via AIM to HunterRequiem
Remember, in anime, mechas are ALWAYS superior to regular forces. not that they should be, mind you.
One 120mm tungsten shot to the torso, and its like a BB to a grape...not much is left o_o

I must admit, KFs are a lot more realistic then Mobile Suits, and other anime mecha. there are a number of improvements that just make them feel like you might actually take one onto the battlefield. The tanks might actually have to really try against KFs.
HunterRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 01:28   Link #38
atilim
Knightmare

It is not if that normal weapons can defeat Knightmare. Todou did won at least one battle without Knightmare in the war.
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 01:32   Link #39
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRequiem View Post
I must admit, KFs are a lot more realistic then Mobile Suits, and other anime mecha. there are a number of improvements that just make them feel like you might actually take one onto the battlefield. The tanks might actually have to really try against KFs.
They are and they aren't. It's rather nice to see mecha with a more sane size than ginormous mobile suits, but the Knightmare Frames still dominate the battlefield like their larger counterparts. If they were more realistic, then their smaller size should make each unit that much less of a one-man-army that we already see far too much of.
Old 2007-04-03, 01:34   Link #40
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRequiem View Post
Remember, in anime, mechas are ALWAYS superior to regular forces. not that they should be, mind you.
One 120mm tungsten shot to the torso, and its like a BB to a grape...not much is left o_o

Well, there is the thing about how tanks are horrible in urban environments. They get stuck and trapped easily in narrow streets, and anti-tank weapons can freely fire from high building balconies to strike the weak roof armour once it is trapped.

The KMs however are ridiculously agile, to the point of being impossible.
But assuming the agility level is achievable, there would be room in the military for Knightmares.
Note that tanks are still used in the Britannian military; Knightmares are never intended to be replacements for tanks.

Tags
mecha