AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-21, 21:29   Link #81
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Type moon writers came up for the plot of a bonus scenario of the game.But the basic scenario of the game the anime is a sequel of has nothing to do with type moon.
It was written by Nasu and produced by Type-Moon, so it does have something to do with Type-Moon.
Old 2012-03-21, 21:41   Link #82
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

But it has nothing to do with anything else Type-Moon does. It isn't part of their universe. They just got to play in someone else's universe.
Old 2012-03-21, 22:04   Link #83
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It was written by Nasu and produced by Type-Moon, so it does have something to do with Type-Moon.
Not the whole game.Just a bonus scenario of it.

As Ithekro said they played in someone else's universe like Okada did.

Hell Type Moon isn't even listed as one of the developers of the game (Chunsoft is),it's just that Nasu listed as a writer of the bonus scenario.

Chunsoft staff came up with characters and universe,Nasu came up with his scenario inside that universe,Okada came up with hers.
Old 2012-03-21, 22:32   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Yes please don't associate that garbage with Type-Moon, they're much better than that .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 08:33   Link #85
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Spoiler for Hanasaku Iroha Spoiler:
Thanks, now I just remembered that subtle melancholic taste I felt. But again, with Hanasaku Iroha I lost interest along the way. BTW a second season is coming, am I wrong?

Quote:
Another is a great series no doubt, but I do disagree that the BGM is godly. They have been rather cheesy at times. However, it is sufficient and it works for the series for the most part so it's definitely not bad by any means.

On a sidenote, I do think the visuals for Another have been somewhat lacking compared to PA's usual standards. Although the background art is as good as ever, and the character designs are decent (I still would have preferred a less moe design since this is a mystery/horror, but hey things have to be moe to sell these days...) they are so many still frames that it sometimes seems like a slidefest show. It reminds of what Fate/Zero was like visually tbh.
Yea, in regard of the BGM, I used the wrong word there, I meant more the audio effects than the BGM, even if the BGM was good as you say. It helped to build up the atmosphere, but at the same time it wasn't intrusive. Audio effects help a lot to *feel* some specific events. For the still frames I think they did it on purpose, to match the atmosphere; but I really need a second watch, because I was always so focused on dialogues/subs and details that I need to watch it again. So probably I'll suffer more of that *side effect*.
All in all I guess I can say, even without the last episode, that Another is the only title, along with True Tears, that stand out among their works. I don't know if I would add Hanasaku Iroha to the list.

Quote:
True Tears is indeed one of the best romance animes for TV series (not movies though, there's better ones than TT, e.g. Makoto Shinkai movies, Satoshi Kon's Millennium Actress etc).

Canaan was decent for a Type-Moon based work, though it was no ufotable (Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Zero). Definitely better than DEEN or JC though (Fate/Stay Night, UBW, Tsukihime).
Well, I can't say much of Canaan, because I dropped for not being my cup of tea and not for the quality. Surely I can see what you mean sorting KnK and Fate/zero to one pile and the rest to another.

Quote:
Angel Beats aside from some fantastic visuals and audio just plain sucked. It's plot and pacing is about as messy as the currently airing Guilty Crown. Perhaps it was Jun Maeda's inexperience in writing an anime script (since he only did VN ones prior) or just the fact that Seiji Kishi is a terrible director outside of comedy (and even then I only like Carnival Phantasm out of his works).
I agree with you on AB even if I wouldn't compare it with GC. At least GC was able to correct itself starting with the second cour, not completely I know. It is even true that I'm *a bit* biased on GC because it hits all my soft spots so my judgment of it is not worth much Surely, and in this case my word is used right, the godly BGM helped the series to soften many flaws it has.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 09:33   Link #86
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Thanks, now I just remembered that subtle melancholic taste I felt. But again, with Hanasaku Iroha I lost interest along the way. BTW a second season is coming, am I wrong?
Yep. There is indeed a second season.

Quote:
All in all I guess I can say, even without the last episode, that Another is the only title, along with True Tears, that stand out among their works. I don't know if I would add Hanasaku Iroha to the list.
Agreed. Another is probably PA's 2nd best work after True Tears, even after the episode 11 debacle lol. Hanasaku Iroha is probably a bit too flawed to enter a "hall of fame" by any means, but that doesn't mean I didn't love it. I have a funny reaction timeline that I posted in another thread .

Quote:
I agree with you on AB even if I wouldn't compare it with GC. At least GC was able to correct itself starting with the second cour, not completely I know. It is even true that I'm *a bit* biased on GC because it hits all my soft spots so my judgment of it is not worth much Surely, and in this case my word is used right, the godly BGM helped the series to soften many flaws it has.
I won't bash GC since there's already PLENTY of haters out there lol. But I do have to have to say that AB and GC do share the common disappointment in that they both had great concepts and ideas (and the big budget) but not the direction and execution to back it up . Both could have been epic classics if done right. Agreed that GC's OST is godly though. Best thing I've heard in 2 years - even better than the Madoka OST last year. Sawano also did the Ao no Exoricst and Gundam Unicorn OSTs as well which are also stellar if you want to listen to those.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-03-22 at 10:09.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 15:45   Link #87
Goggen

Quote:
Yep. There is indeed a second season.
To be precise; there's a new anime coming but we don't know yet if it's a new season, or an OVA, or something else.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:55   Link #88
Arya

Quote:
Agreed. Another is probably PA's 2nd best work after True Tears, even after the episode 11 debacle lol. Hanasaku Iroha is probably a bit too flawed to enter a "hall of fame" by any means, but that doesn't mean I didn't love it. I have a funny reaction timeline that I posted in another thread .

I won't bash GC since there's already PLENTY of haters out there lol. But I do have to have to say that AB and GC do share the common disappointment in that they both had great concepts and ideas (and the big budget) but not the direction and execution to back it up . Both could have been epic classics if done right. Agreed that GC's OST is godly though. Best thing I've heard in 2 years - even better than the Madoka OST last year. Sawano also did the Ao no Exoricst and Gundam Unicorn OSTs as well which are also stellar if you want to listen to those.
Thanks, I'll check them out, even if I don't remember Ao no Exorcist OST, but I didn't like the series so that's probably the reason of it. I will, but now I need a bit of time to shake the GC ending off.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:19   Link #89
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

reviving this thread due to a discussion in the Hyou-Ka thread of all places.

Right, so about which show the studio had worked on that looks the best, I actually answered this a while ago (like last year) and my position remains the same : HanaIro > True Tears > Canaan > Angel Beats in terms of visuals.

HanaIro was probably the best looking thing they got out, followed by TT. Canaan I liked, though it clearly suffered from either lack of time or budget since from what I remember it wasn't that great looking, but Angel Beats was certainly not that great looking and considering the sort of budget it had, it almost certainly would be embarrassing to watch now.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:24   Link #90
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

CAANAN looked gorgeous and the action is so animated and is probably PA Works' best. Hanairo had great polish but what really stands out is the mesh between 2D and 3D backgrounds. True Tears is also greatly polished. Another looks good when it needs to and Angel Beats looks good but it just needs polish.

CAANAN>Hanairo>True Tears> Angel Beats> Another for me.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:29   Link #91
Skane
Anime Snark

Hmm... probably bias here, but I would put True Tear above Iroha in my opinion. The artistic direction, visuals and technical merits were astounding in that one. Just a crying shame it didn't get to sell more.

And because some people will probably misconstrue what I said, Iroha is fantastic too. I just prefer True Tears, and no amount of brow-beating will make you make me change my opinion on the matter.

Cheers.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:34   Link #92
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
True Tears didn't have the same animation fluidity as the rest but those character designs are just too beautiful to care about and the backgrounds felt artistic. Iroha and Canaan probably had the more detailed backgrounds, but True Tears' stage came alive despite the weaker technical quality. Angel Beats was kinda neat but they seemed to screw up the proportions and design consistency too much, but it was kinda fluid maybe? Another seemed to focus the budget on those infamous scenes but otherwise the animation was kinda iffy.

So, TT > Canaan > HSI >>> AB >>>> Another

Even eschewing plot related details, True Tears by and far has the highest replay value if I wanted to just look at something pleasing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 11:43   Link #93
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Hmm... probably bias here, but I would put True Tear above Iroha in my opinion. The artistic direction, visuals and technical merits were astounding in that one. Just a crying shame it didn't get to sell more.

And because some people will probably misconstrue what I said, Iroha is fantastic too. I just prefer True Tears, and no amount of brow-beating will make you make me change my opinion on the matter.

Cheers.
I actually would say that TT is slightly better at the artistic direction when it comes to certain key scenes, but again (and I'm speaking out of bias) I think HanaIroha has it beat when it comes the visuals and technical areas. Both show look great indeed, but I found myself more emerged in Hanasaku Iroha moreso than True Tears.

Or maybe that's the K.Mell fan speaking in me ...
Old 2012-04-25, 11:48   Link #94
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Continuing here, or well, at least this particular bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda
Then what was your point in arguing with me? I'm pretty sure I said Hyouka had excellent visuals in my earlier larger posts in the first place, then you come bring Angel Beats into scrutiny + HSI being the only good PA looking show to try and refute the claim that other studios are not as good Kyoani (and by proxy Hyouka-wise), then you come now and say PA is the exception.
I never said any of those two. I said HSI was their BEST -- being their best doesn't mean the rest aren't good. AB! is the one that's bad, but this can probaly be blamed on Kishi not doing scheduling properly or I don't know. Something happened there, though, and it's very apparent because AB! was plagued with visual problems as I explained over to you in your profile's page. These problems include but weren't limited to bad backgrounds, perspective/proportions, bad storyboards, character art not really detailed and drawn very poorly quite often, with characters appearing 'blocky' a lot of times, etc.

I also never said "P.A Works" itself was the exception, the exception in that case were simply some of the works done by P.A Works, but it might as well apply to other extremely good looking shows such as, I don't know, Sakamichi or Fate/Zero. Those shows are exceptions to the crop of averageness we get every season...

And on topic now, like I said up there, I consider HanaIro to be their best show where visuals are concerned. It really nailed those backgrounds, but more importantly, a lot of times it showed really nice character animation. CANAAN had those two, but they were more limited to the really nice looking action cuts, whereas Hanasaku was simply more consistent with it. True Tears looked nice, as well, but I don't know, I always thought Hanasaku was simply more polished, again it probably has to do with the more complex character animation which in general I thought HanaIro did bit more in that front.

Angel Beats I already explained my views on it up there, and Another was somewhat poor, but those backgrounds were still really nice. Shame the actual show was much more of a comedy than it was a horror story.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2012-04-25 at 12:11.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 12:16   Link #95
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
The real unsung hero at PA works is animation director/chara designer Sekiguchi Kanami

PA works shows she's worked on:

True Tears
Canaan
Hanasaku Iroha

PA works shows she hasn't worked on:

Angel Beats
Another

I'm glad she's on board for Tari Tari

Last edited by totoum; 2012-04-25 at 12:45.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 12:28   Link #96
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
PA works shows she hasn't worked on:

Angel Beats
Another

I'm glad she's on board for Tari Tari
And Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie, though that had a completely different production staff than usual since it's a "mainstream" animated feature film aimed at kids.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 13:01   Link #97
TJR

Visually, I'd go with Hanasaku Iroha > CANAAN > True Tears > Another > Angel Beats

Another was done on a pretty low budget, and only a couple episodes stand out in terms of animation. However, Angel Beats (a mess) is proof that money/frame count =/= quality.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 07:16   Link #98
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

But you know what, if PA Works example of a low budgeted series is Another, then they're pretty amazing.
Old 2012-04-30, 13:38   Link #99
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I actually would say that TT is slightly better at the artistic direction when it comes to certain key scenes, but again (and I'm speaking out of bias) I think HanaIroha has it beat when it comes the visuals and technical areas. Both show look great indeed, but I found myself more emerged in Hanasaku Iroha moreso than True Tears.

Or maybe that's the K.Mell fan speaking in me ...
I agree. I will never forget Ohana riding her bicycle down the road and her hair flowing in the wind. That was fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Speaking of Ohana's hairs, I made a gif of her speed biking in episode 8. Smooth animation.

Thumbnail - click to open (2,6 MB).
True Tears is the best overall though.
Old 2012-04-30, 19:45   Link #100
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Angel Beats (a mess) is proof that money/frame count =/= quality.
My guess is that most of the money never actually made it into the animating side of things lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
But you know what, if PA Works example of a low budgeted series is Another, then they're pretty amazing.
It's more of cleaver usage of camera angles and general remaining consistent throughout, but overall there wasn't anything really that note worthy about it's animation, and it was clearly done on a low budget (since it didn't really require that high of a budget to begin with).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I agree. I will never forget Ohana riding her bicycle down the road and her hair flowing in the wind. That was fantastic.
Haha, I remember that episode ah, good time, good times ...

Man I think I'm going to rewatch Hanasaku Iroha actually now

Tags
p.a. works, studios