AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-14, 22:42   Link #1
MechaUshio
Maximum Risky

Send a message via MSN to MechaUshio
Visual Novel?

This may be a tough request. But I'm a huge fan of VN's, and lately I've come to a slump trying to find one that's not packed full of hentai. I'd really prefer a nice sweet story, and I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I'm an easy date, so pretty much anything you guys recommend to me, I'll enjoy it.

VN's I played.

Ever 17: Out of Infinity (Mindraped me at the end.)
Yume Miru Kusuri: A Drug That Makes You Dream (Enjoyed that it portrayed real life problems in today's society.)
Hatsune Miku - 未来のキミと、すべての歌に― (Made me smile through the whole story.)
Hourglass of Summer (First VN I ever bought and read. A sweet yet confusing story.)

I guess I can make an exception about the hentai since Yume Miru Kusuri had some "scenes" in it. The story was too good to pass up. I really enjoyed Aeka's route the best, But I digress. So please, throw your recommendations my way. I have a long weekend ahead of me and a nice VN would help pass the time greatly. I still don't understand why first year students aren't allowed to bring their cars to college with them..

Thanks in advance!
Old 2010-10-14, 22:48   Link #2
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Have you played Little Buster?

There is already a english patch for Komari and Rin route (the 2 most interesting route)

Chaos Head have also a full english patch either so give it a try

Link for english patches

http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php...ittle_Busters!

http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Chaos;Head
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Old 2010-10-14, 23:13   Link #3
Kudryavka

Just about all doujin visual novels are hentai-free, and a lot of them have good stories. I'd suggest Narcissu (I and II are free), Katawa Shoujo (free), Tsukihime (buy) (has hentai but the story is good enough to deal with a little H). Also, any visual novel from the AlTogether (sic) Festival (all free).

As for commercial VNs, all of which must be bought, I suggest anything by Key (except Kud Wafter, since there's no hentai-free version out). I like ToHeart 1, but it's not strong on story, it's just enjoying yourself in school with your friends and a girlfriend.

For a quickie for the weekend, I highly suggest a free doujin novel; you won't have to deal with the week long trip for a game to ship from Japan to here, and they are usually small and download fast.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:33   Link #4
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I don't see Fate/stay night on your list. Play it. Now. It was awesome.

I also suggest you play with the RN patch, it adds the additional CGs that were in the PS2 version.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-10-15 at 09:47.
Old 2010-10-15, 14:21   Link #5
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Did you like Ever 17? If so, you might be interested to know that an English patch was released for Remember 11 earlier this week. Remember 11 is the game the Ever 17 team worked on after Ever 17. I can't say how good it is as I haven't played it myself yet though.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-10-15, 21:04   Link #6
MechaUshio
Maximum Risky

Send a message via MSN to MechaUshio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
Chaos Head have also a full english patch either so give it a try
Awesome, I'll be sure to check this one out! I'll definitely try out Little Buster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
As for commercial VNs, all of which must be bought, I suggest anything by Key (except Kud Wafter, since there's no hentai-free version out). I like ToHeart 1, but it's not strong on story, it's just enjoying yourself in school with your friends and a girlfriend.
ToHeart1 sounds fun. I enjoy a nice laid back setting. I feel like I'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I don't see Fate/stay night on your list. Play it. Now. It was awesome.

I also suggest you play with the RN patch, it adds the additional CGs that were in the PS2 version.
You have piqued my interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Did you like Ever 17? If so, you might be interested to know that an English patch was released for Remember 11 earlier this week. Remember 11 is the game the Ever 17 team worked on after Ever 17. I can't say how good it is as I haven't played it myself yet though.
I enjoyed it. It was just the true ending that got me confused for a while. I think I'll try this one first.
Thank you guys for the recommendations! I greatly appreciate it. Can any of you guys suggest a site where they review Visual Novels? Like myanimelist or something, Again Thanks in advance!
Old 2010-10-15, 23:20   Link #7
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Sometimes with English translation, No Hentai, Good END... True Remembrance. Still my favorite out of thousands I played...

You could check VNDB for summaries, rating, and play time. Other than that there are blogs I guess, don't browse the western communities for VN reviews so I wouldn't know...
Old 2010-10-18, 18:40   Link #8
Yojimbo108
The Dark Aeon

Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night are musts.
I'd follow those by Sekien no Inganock -What a beautiful people- and Cross Channel. Very interesting storylines in the above.

After that? Maybe try Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. The translation patch for Remember11 - the age of infinity just finished too if you'd like to take a look at that.

If you want a bit of a SRPG side to the VN parts then theres also Tear to Tiara and Eien no Aselia.

All of them have english patches available.
Closed Thread