Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-23, 03:40   Link #1
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

High Fantasy (Last Exile/Simoun)

I think I may be fishing in an empty lake here, but ^^;; It was a little while before I saw Last Exile and had overlooked Simoun at first, so who knows...

So, is there anything else out there which even comes close to the wonderful high-fantasy worlds of Last Exile and Simoun?

I had seen Last Exile last summer and just finished watching Simoun and am feeling terribly inspired by Toshihiko Sahashi's wonderful soundtrack for that. Both series wasted no time in becoming two of my favorites, and I really don't know of anything else out there like them.

x_X As a consolation prize, since I'm currently basically only watching Toku and action/mecha anime, I'm also possibly looking for anything else that has similar excellent character drama and plot (being coated in action/epicness is perfectly fine)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 2007-02-23, 03:54   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Crest of the Stars (and all its sequels)
Mai-Otome
Erementar Gerad
Old 2007-02-23, 04:00   Link #3
jedinat

Juuni Kokuki

Simply the best fantasy anime there is.
Old 2007-02-23, 04:32   Link #4
miaka

Glass no kantai
The Third - action/fantasy/mecha
code geass - currently ongoing
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Old 2007-02-23, 22:19   Link #5
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Howl's moving castle
Fantastic Children
Kino's Journey
Old 2007-02-24, 02:22   Link #6
acidflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Juuni Kokuki

Simply the best fantasy anime there is.
I second that. Although, the ending is a bit on the "eh?" side.
Old 2007-02-24, 16:57   Link #7
ImClueless
Rawr

I also second Junni Kokuki and say that the ending is "eh?" because its not really complete unfortunately.

Throw in additional suggestions for Scrapped Princess, The Slayers, and Mushishi
Old 2007-02-24, 19:37   Link #8
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Berserk - I don't know if this would be a fantasy you would go for. Half of the scenes are extremely gory or really horrific. But nonetheless, it is a fantasy.
Utawarerumono - pretty good fantasy, but it's no comparison to Juuni Kokuki.

Kind of hard to find any fantasy anime that resemble Last Exile.
Old 2007-02-24, 19:47   Link #9
retardation
phantom loser

scrapped princess
Old 2007-02-24, 23:39   Link #10
Frans

Eureka Seven... It has an epic plot, somewhat fantasy setting (the "earth" is different than the one we know), and mecha.
Old 2007-02-25, 10:11   Link #11
Navel

Eureka Seven is indeed the most similar to Last Exile or Simoun from all the recs here.
Old 2007-02-25, 17:21   Link #12
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
So, is there anything else out there which even comes close to the wonderful high-fantasy worlds of Last Exile and Simoun?
Since when Last Exile and Simoun are fantasy? Last exile especilly is full of relatively advanced technology, not magic. It is science fiction and Simoun also is more science-fiction than fantasy, IMO. Maybe you mean fantasy/sci-fi with an interestingly developed setting/world? If yes:

Juuni Kokuki
Full Metal Alchemist
(the plot and characters of this series are overrated, IMO, but the setting is well developed)

Quote:
As a consolation prize, since I'm currently basically only watching Toku and action/mecha anime, I'm also possibly looking for anything else that has similar excellent character drama and plot
Planetes
Mai-HiME (it's deceptively light-hearted and funny at first, though)
P.S. When I saw the title of the thread I thought you were looking for series with air battles and no giant robots but I guess I was wrong.

Old 2007-02-25, 17:49   Link #13
weber85

Nadia Secret of Blue Water...just finished watching it...great anime great character development...its one of those anime that flies under the radar cus its early 90's...but highly recommend it
Old 2007-02-27, 05:06   Link #14
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

^^; Yeah, sorry. I do suppose Sci-Fi/Fantasy might be a better description. Though, as you surmised, it's the interestingly developed setting I'm looking for.

Last Exile and Simoun each just present such unique worlds that the entire story immerses itself in. Fullmetal Alchemist's probably the most similar I've seen to this, but the former two are on another level in terms of full-on presentation, FMA's strengths keeps its setting tied in a bit more (Eureka Seven and Mai-Otome each also do fairly good jobs of this).

Juuni Kokuki looks interesting, though, out of the suggestions that I haven't already seen. Gonna get around to Netflix'ing the first volume of that. (Have also been meaning to check out Scrapped Princess forever)

Any other recommendations for The Third? I had watched the first... 2-3 episodes of that, but wasn't particularly hooked (The concept itself was fairly interesting, and I'm a fan of desert worlds if they're well-executed)
Old 2007-02-27, 06:13   Link #15
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ The Third definitely has my vote. I know the first 4-5 episodes seemed average to me as well, but this is one of the shows that keeps getting better as time goes on Keep watching - it is definitely worth a watch, and i was definitely hooked by ep10 or so, and ended up turbo-watching it (meaning 18 episodes in one day in this case 0_o)
Old 2007-02-27, 17:18   Link #16
VegaCrescent
]CLOCK UP[

Hm, well bad time for me to want to pick up The Third again, it seems x_X Was recently licensed, so looks like I'll be waiting a little while on that.
Closed Thread