AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-04, 11:02   Link #41
Euphemism

Try changing your screen resolution. Granted, that will mess up your desktop icons if you have a lot of them, but you shouldn't really be having more than 5 or 6 icons on your desktop (I have over 110 -_-; )
Old 2008-01-04, 12:15   Link #42
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Exclamation News: Downloadable Higurashi

Here's some exciting news for those of you who are interested in getting the Higurashi visual novels but scared by the shipping costs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.visual-novels.net, Jan 1 2008
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, the suspense doujin visual novel games from 07th Expansion, are becoming available for download! The first game in the franchise (containing the "Question" arcs Onikakushi-hen through Himatsubushi-hen) became available on New Years Eve on various download sites at the price of 1575 yen. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai (featuring the "Answer" arcs Meakashi-hen through Matsuribayashi-hen) will be available starting January 25th, 2008 at 2100 yen. Finally, the fandisc Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei will be available for download starting February 22nd, 2008 at 1050 yen.
So, if you can muddle through a Japanese online ordering system, you can download Higurashi (also Kai & Rei later this year) without having to deal with shipping!

Shion and I already bought all three games, but we hope someone will come along and recommend which download store to use and maybe give some instructions for ordering.

Enjoy!

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)

P.S. - Day 4 is fully translated and we're working on the adaptation.
Old 2008-01-04, 12:41   Link #43
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

I personally use DLsite
Old 2008-01-05, 01:11   Link #44
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
In most -if not all- Visual novel, you cannot customize the window size.
In case of Higurashi, you simply can't do that. Either the standard size or full screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemism View Post
Try changing your screen resolution. Granted, that will mess up your desktop icons if you have a lot of them, but you shouldn't really be having more than 5 or 6 icons on your desktop (I have over 110 -_-; )
Dang... Even if it just used some trick to trick it into double the normal size it would work fine for me. Oh well..... maybe I will play it only on my laptop

As for my desktop icons, I dont worry about that. I have a program that saves their posistions for me. (I also have more icons then I use)
I also use a program for managing my multi-display profiles.
Old 2008-01-05, 11:23   Link #45
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
P.S. - Day 4 is fully translated and we're working on the adaptation.
Yay, I'm excited! Thank you for your hard work.

I bought the game from Paletweb and I think it's been shipped out by now ... I'm not sure when it will arrive.
Old 2008-01-07, 04:09   Link #46
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Unhappy Issues with purchased downloads of Higurashi

Just want to warn people, there's been a problem with running the translation patch on those purchased downloads of Higurashi that I posted about earlier.

It looks like at least some of the sound files are encrypted, so that onscripter isn't able to play them. You can't play the original JP game using onscripter, either.

Sorry about this, for those of you who went and bought the download games already... I suppose you could run the translation and the original game side by side, to get the sound effects that way... Well, I hope you can still enjoy our translation.

What a pity, the purchaseable downloads seemed like such a perfect solution for non-Japanese to get the games and enjoy them...

EDIT: I've produced a fix for the sound files problem! Check Post #199 for the link. Now you can go ahead and purchase the downloadable Higurashi and still get to enjoy the translation!

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-09 at 21:14. Reason: I made a fix!
Old 2008-01-07, 19:48   Link #47
Blick Winkel

Quote:
It looks like at least some of the sound files are encrypted, so that onscripter isn't able to play them. You can't play the original JP game using onscripter, either.
Are you sure they are encrypted and it's not the issue with (for example) different codec?
Old 2008-01-07, 21:50   Link #48
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick Winkel View Post
Are you sure they are encrypted and it's not the issue with (for example) different codec?
The wav sound files in question are nearly identical to their counterparts from the CD release Higurashi, except for the first 64 bytes, which are effectively "garbage".

The download-release Higurashi seems to use an overlaid software purchase manager (SOFT-Denchi) which is used for DRM, and 64 bytes is a common block size for encryption schemes, so I'm quite sure that's what's going on.

At the least, only the files in the WAV directory are affected; the files in the subdirectories WAV\LP and WAV\minigame are not encrypted.

I can suggest a temporary partial solution: download the Higurashi demo here and install it. Now, copy (or move) the top-level WAV directory to the folder that contains the higurashi translation patch files (NOT the original JP game); you don't need to include the subdirectories of WAV. This will at least take care of sound effects that show up in Onikakushi. There are other sounds that get used in the other 3 games, but at least this will take care of most of them.

Some of the sound effects files in the demo are different, but not so that it'd ruin your enjoyment, I think.

Hope this helps,

Mion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)
Old 2008-01-09, 20:43   Link #49
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Cool "Fix" for downloaded Higurashi

I've gotten together more of an actual fix for the unplayable sound files in paid download versions of Higurashi. You can get the zip file at: link removed
Extract the files in wav_fix.zip to the translation patch directory, and run onscripter.exe to play. (You can remove the WAV directory from the translation patch folder, if you did my temporary solution using the Higurashi demo.)

The (soon to come) Day 4 release will have this fix more tightly integrated, but I thought folks would appreciate being able to have a fix right away.

You don't need to get this fix if you're playing the demo or CD release of Higurashi, but if you do it won't hurt anything ^_^

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-25 at 16:59. Reason: patches have the fix
Old 2008-01-15, 02:10   Link #50
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Cool Onikakushi Day 4 is ready!

Sorry to make you all wait.

The Sonozaki Futago-tachi English patch for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Onikakushi (Day 4) is now ready! Check out our RapidShare folder at http://rapidshare.com/users/MQK6IW.
It has a patch for the Higurashi Demo as well as a patch for the full game (aka Himatsubushi.)

You can download the demo game here.

To install a patch, simply unzip the contents into a subdirectory of the original Japanese game; double-click "onscripter-en.exe" to play.

I've also added a version of onscripter for all you Mac OS X users; download it from http://rapidshare.com/files/83920439...n-20080112.dmg. You should be able to drop the onscripter-en.app file from the dmg image into your translation patch subdirectory, and double-click to play.

<EDIT>
By the way, Day 4 contains material that didn't appear in the anime, so you get a taste of new stuff. We also tidied-up the previous days and prologue, for a few typos, a missing line, some writing, Japanese name order, and "hauu"s
</EDIT>

Please let us know what you think!
Also let me know if you have problems installing or running a patch.

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-25 at 17:00. Reason: more info; fixed script bug; removed old links
Old 2008-01-15, 09:55   Link #51
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Woah, thanks for the effort you two are putting into this
Old 2008-01-16, 16:15   Link #52
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Red face

Just thought I'd let people know... there was a bug in the download scripts that caused the save/load menus to crash (sometimes). I've corrected the downloads and the links on my previous post #200, so please redownload the patch if you got it before the time of this post.

Sorry ^^;;;

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-16 at 16:40.
Old 2008-01-17, 13:35   Link #53
Roll

Quote:
Sorry to make you all wait.

The Sonozaki Futago-tachi English patch for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Onikakushi (Day 4) is now ready! Check out our RapidShare folder at http://rapidshare.com/users/MQK6IW.

You may download the translation patch for the full version of the game (aka Himatsubushi-hen) at http://rapidshare.com/files/84367220...kushi_Day4.zip

Here's the translation patch for the demo version of Higurashi: http://rapidshare.com/files/84347112...kushi_Day4.zip

You can download the demo game here.

To install a patch, simply unzip the contents into a subdirectory of the original Japanese game; double-click "onscripter-en.exe" to play.

I've also added a version of onscripter for all you Mac OS X users; download it from http://rapidshare.com/files/83920439...n-20080112.dmg. You should be able to drop the onscripter-en.app file from the dmg image into your translation patch subdirectory, and double-click to play.

<EDIT>
By the way, Day 4 contains material that didn't appear in the anime, so you get a taste of new stuff. We also tidied-up the previous days and prologue, for a few typos, a missing line, some writing, Japanese name order, and "hauu"s
</EDIT>

<EDIT>
I've fixed a bug in the script files that cause the Save/Load menu to crash the program, and changed the links on this page to point to the corrected downloads. Please redownload the translation patch, if you got it before Jan 16. Sorry ^^;;;
</EDIT>

Please let us know what you think!
Also let me know if you have problems installing or running a patch.

Thank you so much! I'll be waiting for day 5! =)
Old 2008-01-17, 15:07   Link #54
Rayneing
Trombe!

It's official, all those sites for the download version suck. I can barely find my way through them, let alone figure out a way to pay through PayPal.
Old 2008-01-17, 16:23   Link #55
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Lightbulb How to pay-download Higurashi

Okay, someone on another site put together a guide for buying Higurashi through one of the download sites; you can find it here. Let us know if you still have trouble.

Hope this helps,

Old 2008-01-17, 16:52   Link #56
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Okay, someone on another site put together a guide for buying Higurashi through one of the download sites; you can find it here. Let us know if you still have trouble.

Hope this helps,

Heh, thanks, it certainly did help.
Old 2008-01-18, 11:20   Link #57
June 1983

Okay, dumb question. If we've got day 1-3, are we supposed to save over the old patch files or create a new subdirectory? I saved over them but when I try to continue from my old save, the program loads the background scene and then closes immediately, so maybe I just installed it wrong.

Also, in regards to your PM to me -- after I couldn't continue my old game with the new patch I tried starting over again and it wound up freezing on me again. I was speeding through the dialogue with the control button at the time, though, so that might have been a factor. In a little while I'll try playing it normally and see what happens.

I'm sorry for not responding to you by the way, it's been a busy week for me.
Old 2008-01-18, 11:38   Link #58
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Technically, you should be able to just write over the Day 1-3 patch files, but it would be safest to just create a new subdirectory and delete the older patch directory once you know the new one works.

EDIT:

Also be sure you have the Demo patch for the Demo game, and/or the Full patch for the Full game! I was able to replicate the "close immediately after launching" bug when I was running the Full patch on the Demo game.

But if you still have problems even though you're running the right patch in a new subdirectory, be sure to let me know.

Last edited by Sonozaki Futagotachi; 2008-01-18 at 19:14. Reason: more suggestions
Old 2008-01-18, 22:03   Link #59
June 1983

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the demo one, but to be sure I'll try downloading it again.
Old 2008-01-19, 11:41   Link #60
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Ok, I have downloaded the demo version, and the patch for days 1-3, but I have no idea what a subdirectory is or how to get the patch to work with the game. When I click on onscripter-en it pops up for like 2 seconds and then goes away. Can anybody help me? Please and thank you ^^
Closed Thread