AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-27, 21:51   Link #81
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Just a note disappointing does not mean worse. I didn't hate any of my choices but I was let down by them.
I agree. Disappointing doesn't necessarily mean it's bad/poor. When I wrote my reasons for my choices, this is what I had in mind. Although I thought one show in my three choices was both disappointing and not so good.

Last edited by Coldlight; 2012-12-01 at 06:04. Reason: modified for emphasis
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 23:36   Link #82
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

I thought "Acchi Kocchi" was boring and incredibly LAZY, up to the point where I wondered if they were even trying to create a standalone show or whether someone was switching agencies/publishers/whatever and pushed it out just for their last contractual obligation. It made "A-Channel" seem lively.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 10:24   Link #83
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

November 30th update(Southeast Asian time):

PS: Thanks for Marcus H. for helping me out.

Sword Art Online: 17

Another: 10
Eureka Seven AO: 10

Arcana Famiglia: 8

Nisemonogatari: 6

4 Votes:

Hyouka
K
Rinne no Lagrange
Kokoro Connect

3 Votes:

Brave 10
HnG: Can't Take My Eyes Off You
KoiChocho
Natsayuki Rendezvous
Sakamichi no Apollon
Code Breaker

2 Votes:

Girls und Panzer
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru: Futari no Elder
Sankarea
Jormungand S1
Little Busters
Karezon of the Dead
Tsuritama
Kill Me Baby
Black Rock Shooter TV

1 Vote:

Natsuiro Kiseki
Seitokai no Ichizon S2
Zetman
Acchi Kocchi
To Love-ru Darkness
Saki: Achiga-hen
Hagure Yuusha no Esthetica
Dog Days S2
Amagami SS+
Accel World
Joshiraku
Hakuouki Remeiroku
Hiiro no Kakera
Imouto ga Iru
Kuroko no Basuke
PapaKiki
Tari Tari
Fate/Zero S2
Aquarian EVOL

Show that disqualified from this thread:

Gundam AGE(2011 production)
Last Exile(2011 production)

Last edited by Kameruka; 2012-11-30 at 19:41.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 10:41   Link #84
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Now if we could only normalize those scores by number of viewers. The Sakamichi no Apollon thread has about 67,000 views. Just one of the image threads for SAO has about four times that number.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 19:37   Link #85
Fuyuno
Banned

WTF!! No votes for Medaka Box? Only one for Kuroko no Basuke? What the hell is going on?

For Medaka Box S1 it is pretty obvious nobody expect it to be masterpiece or trainwreck but it's meh to me at best. Now I want to include what shows I missed in my first post in this thread:

Medaka Box
Just like what I said earlier it's neither masterpiece or trainwreck. It just another "it's okay it's average" syndrome. However it still disappoint me because it just barely entertain me except for last 3 episodes when Medaka fought that rubber balls kid. It also ironic that the best part for me is also the stupidest part of the show(DBZ-esque fight scene).

Kuroko no Basuke
This one can be seen many miles away but I just disappointed to see how it turned out to be. Just another lame excuse to drain money from fujioshis' wallets than anything else. I was hoping for this one to be like Slam Dunk but instead I got a bishounen fanservice show than anything else.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
I'm also surprised why nobody ever mentioned this one. While I have anything against it(unlike Kuroko no Basuke) but it just failed to me. 90% of its "jokes"(if they qualified as) failed to make me laugh. I even had more laugh watching more "boring" slice-of-life shows like Minami-ke and Azumanga Daioh for examples but this one just failed. Maybe replacing the girls with boys was a bad idea to begin with. In comedy department it also failed as it tried too hard by showing us boys wearing lingerie but it just embarrassing even to laugh at. I haven't seen such scenes in other comedy SoL shows with girls and they succeed where this show failed(making me laugh that is). Again what I really annoyed from this show is it had huge fanbase among fujioshi despite not actually marketed towards them. I just blame the internet for that.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-12-04 at 01:04.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 20:09   Link #86
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
WTF!! No votes for Medaka Box? Only one for Kuroko no Basuke?

For Medaka Box S1 it is pretty obvious nobody expect it to be masterpiece or trainwreck but it's meh to me at best. Now I want to include what shows I missed in my first post in this thread:

Medaka Box
Just like what I said earlier it's neither masterpiece or trainwreck. It just another "it's okay it's average" syndrome. However it still disappoint me because it just barely entertain me except for last 3 episodes when Medaka fought that rubber balls kid. It also ironic that the best part for me is also the stupidest part of the show(DBZ-esque fight scene).

Kuroko no Basuke
This one can be seen many miles away but I just disappointed to see how it turned out to be. Just another lame excuse to drain money from fujioshis' wallets than anything else. I was hoping for this one to be like Slam Dunk but instead I got a bishounen fanservice show than anything else.

Daily Lives of High School Boys
I'm also surprised why nobody ever mentioned this one. While I have anything against it(unlike Kuroko no Basuke) but it just failed to me. 90% of its "jokes"(if they qualified as) failed to make me laugh. I even had more laugh watching more "boring" slice-of-life shows like Minami-ke and Azumanga Daioh for examples but this one just failed. Maybe replacing the girls with boys was a bad idea to begin with. In comedy department it also failed as it tried too hard by showing us boys wearing lingerie but it just embarrassing even to laugh at. I haven't seen such scenes in other comedy SoL shows with girls and they succeed where this show failed(making me laugh that is). Again what I really annoyed from this show is it had huge fanbase among fujioshi despite not actually marketed towards them. I just blame the internet for that.
The reason for why people didn't mention your "disappointments" is that in order to get disappointed, you actually need to have some expectations of it. Otherwise it is (just like what other people already said it) just a serie that you did not like.
I don't think many people had high expectations of those 3 series to begin.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-12-04 at 01:04. Reason: typo
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 20:23   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A couple of my anime-watching friends told me that Medaka Box had all the weaknesses of Nisemonogatari, only with a Mary Sue lead.

That was enough to make me stay away. Perhaps more people weren't disappointed because they were warned away like this, lol.
Old 2012-11-30, 20:54   Link #88
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A couple of my anime-watching friends told me that Medaka Box had all the weaknesses of Nisemonogatari, only with a Mary Sue lead.

That was enough to make me stay away. Perhaps more people weren't disappointed because they were warned away like this, lol.
So basically, it's Nisemonogatari again, right? Hey-o!

Nah, I'm mostly joking. :3
Old 2012-11-30, 21:01   Link #89
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
The reason for why people didn't mention your "disappointments" is that in order to get disappointed, you actually need to have some expectations of it.
This pretty much encapsulated why a good number of posts in this thread shouldn't be counted. Some people can't seem to see the difference between dislike and disappointment.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 21:15   Link #90
NK_500
Disabled By Request

The only reason why nobody expect Medaka Box to be either good or bad, at least in my theory, is it had one big "JUMP" name plastered on it and most of the so-called anime "elites" are fooled into thinking "it gonna be sucked like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece/Katekyo Hitman Reborn/etc".

I also quite agree with Fuyuno's rant on Daily Lives of High School Boys but (un)fortunately the shows which I dropped after 1st episode don't count, just like K.

Nice try Sunrise on SoL comedy but better stick to mecha, especially Gundam series.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 21:44   Link #91
Violet Rabbit

Only one has actually disappointed me, which a friend who recommended Dog Days, Nyaruko and Accel World also recommended. So I guess if I liked those I would have expectations of this...

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
Yeah, unlike those, this seemed relatively boring until the past episode. Then came the last episode, which after I cried, ruined everything.
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-30, 23:42   Link #92
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
So basically, it's Nisemonogatari again, right? Hey-o!

Nah, I'm mostly joking. :3
I didn't see much of Medaka Box, but honestly it's tongue in cheek enough to not really be that offensive and maybe even better than Nise.

Main problem is that the visuals looked shoddy... oh wait, maybe it is like Nise.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 04:07   Link #93
Trans-Fat

In no specific order:

Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You
I really hate doing this. I saw all of S1 and S2; loved S2 and the character development that was lacking in S1, and discovered that there was actually a plot in HnG. What drew me in was Hinagiku. If I can explain it using an analogy, S1 is like getting to know Hina, S2 fell in love and in a relationship with Hina, S3 the relationship is complicated but still want to work things out. Here is hoping that 3 more episode could make a difference.

Little Busters
Saw Air (TV), Air movie, Kanon 2002, Kanon 2006, Clannad, Clannd After Story, and Clannad movie (or was it OVA???). Aside from the ones produced by Toei, I loved every single Key anime. I was really wishing that LB would get animated as well as Planetarian, and here we got LB. Perhaps my expectation for LB was too high, but after episode 6 or 7, I could not muster the strength to continue. However, I do plan to marathon the series after it is over when I have time.
Old 2012-12-01, 05:00   Link #94
andromeda0201

Arcana Famiglia - Despite not liking many otome game adaptations, the premise of this show seemed really interesting. I liked the artwork and the fact that the heroine didn't look weak. Just to be fair, the first episode was good and raised my expectations even more! However that was the only episode worth mentioning as the rest were horribly weak and the heroine succeeded in being the worse walking paperdoll ever.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if my friend hadn't hyped me up for this. First 2 episodes were promising indeed, I loved the series.....until 2 episodes later that is. It would have been better if the relationships were explored a little more, otherwise it was altogether too draggy.
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 06:34   Link #95
Violet Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
I really hate doing this. I saw all of S1 and S2; loved S2 and the character development that was lacking in S1, and discovered that there was actually a plot in HnG. What drew me in was Hinagiku. If I can explain it using an analogy, S1 is like getting to know Hina, S2 fell in love and in a relationship with Hina, S3 the relationship is complicated but still want to work things out. Here is hoping that 3 more episode could make a difference.
There is no season 3. That show right there, is not a season 3. It's been stated it is not a season 3. You can say you were disappointed, but most of it is exactly what it was said to be from the start: an original story, and not a season 3. Which happens to make more sense if you've read the manga, like the movie, so I can understand how it is disappointing, even for people who do read the manga.

Now, realize that I'm only posting this because I see you typed S3, when I've seen it been established many times over that it isn't. Sorry, but I just had to.
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 19:34   Link #96
Trans-Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Rabbit View Post
There is no season 3. That show right there, is not a season 3. It's been stated it is not a season 3. You can say you were disappointed, but most of it is exactly what it was said to be from the start: an original story, and not a season 3. Which happens to make more sense if you've read the manga, like the movie, so I can understand how it is disappointing, even for people who do read the manga.

Now, realize that I'm only posting this because I see you typed S3, when I've seen it been established many times over that it isn't. Sorry, but I just had to.
Oh I already know. I read the manga and kept up with the manga. I just didn't want to type out the whole Can't Take My Eyes Off You or even CTMEOY so I just simplified it as "S3". I already knew it wasn't going to be based on the current manga (bar some scenes and episodes), but I was still hoping for an enjoying show. However, that was what was disappointing for me, as I did not receive the enjoyment that I was expecting but still giving it a chance.
Old 2012-12-02, 07:18   Link #97
Pacify

For me in terms of pure disappointment, Euraka 7: AO wins by a land slide. Doesn't deserve the "euraka 7" part of the title >_>

As for SAO, I had already read the novels, so i knew exactly how everyone would react to the 2nd half :P Nise would have to come 2nd, but for the fact one already knew Nise was the weakest book in the series, so expectations weren't that high from the get go.

I'd say Little busters for second, considering its a Key work, and I've already dropped it
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 00:11   Link #98
fukarming

That takes the crown for me. I really don't understand how they can make HnG so boring with so many interesting characters. If they want wacky just copy from S1 and if they want serious they can just copy S2. That is probably on par with Minami-ke 2nd season in terms of how bad you can mess up interesting characters.

Kill me Baby.

I choose my anime carefully so I didn't watch many. I think I can't go wrong with "comedy, assassin and cute girls" and boy was I wrong. The comedy is so boring I had to drop the series half way.

I am surprised someone rant about Kuroko no Basuke. Not that it is any good but it is exactly as it is promised "sports anime for fujoshi". I think that is clear as day after the opening.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 06:12   Link #99
webkid94
*Author

Disappointment...hoo boy this is gonna be a doozy:

Natsuyuki Rendevous: I HATE to nominate this show but the middle of the series was just too unbelievably slow, it ruined such an amazing first episode and of course the ending was rushed to add insult to injury.

Sword Art Online: Great first episode until it turned into "new harem member of the week". Horrible lead characters, one bland as hell and a tsundere who makes Kirino from Oreimo look like a sweet, religious schoolgirl, also don't help.

Another: If this was a comedy, I'd give it an A+. But because it was supposedly a horror, it's a big stinky F. I expected better from the director of Ookiku Furikabutte among many other under-rated gems. I had huge expectations for this show, and it failed so badly.

KoiChoco: The election aspect was actually well thought out, for a harem series that is absolutely amazing. But the "Koi" part of the show was just ugh...too rushed and had some moments of bad melodrama that would make Key blush.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 07:58   Link #100
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Before I list off titles, I'd just like to say 'each to their own' and that in the spirit of the discussion and OP's intent, I will only list off titles that were genuine disappointments and avoid mentioning titles that I either purely despised or ones I never had any hope for.

Let it begin....

Fate/Zero - I suppose I'm in the minority on this one, but as for true disappointments, this was perhaps the biggest of the year for me. Over-adapting in S1 and rushing the best parts of the novels in S2 - shameful. Execution of the drinking episode was a letdown. Episode 1 was painfully long. Potential in a good number of characters was utterly wasted. Over-conversion of Urobuchi's fetish for excessive dialogue into scenes chewed up too much time. But most of all, I didn't get what makes me like Type-Moon titles - Nasu's monologues, romantic undertones, sly humour, cheeky trolling and his genuine 'warrior of love' persona even though he puts his casts through absolute hell. I am not a fan of Urobuchi's predictable 'all endings must be the abyss/I must kill the characters I love most the fastest' obsessions.

Rinne no Lagrange - Not to say that I had expectations. But upon seeing one of the most turn-offing yuri scenes I've ever scene in my life, I felt rather crushed since I like yuri overall.

Ano Natsu de Matteru - I thought Please Teacher v3.0 aka Please Twins v2.0 would at least reach the levels of its predecesors. Nope...cloning doesn't guarantee an equal or superior product.

Another - Perhaps the most un-scary, un-thrilling horror I've seen in a long time.

Highschool DxD - I love Miyama-Zero artwork, so with his source artwork, I was hoping this would be somewhat decent. Rias naked being the only decent thing about this title was a legitimate letdown, since I felt the overall replication of M-Z's artwork was very sub-par except for when Rias was naked.

Black Rock Shooter - Didn't exactly do the brand of the merchandise any good. Was hoping for something tangible at the very least...and again, another yuri turn-off.

Accel World - Say what you like about Sword Art Online, but I've rarely felt as offended and disgusted as I was when I saw this title...

Zetman - Textbook example of How NOT To Do Manga to Anime Compressions!

Space Brothers - The magic of the series seemed to be lost around the time 'Feel So Moon' was no longer the OP theme...thinking you could get away with people being in that confined space 'on the ground and not in space' for that many episodes was a bit rich...

Boys on the Slope - Now I will give Shinichiro Watanabe this. It's virtually a sure thing nearly any other director would have utterly failed to make the extreme compression work. Overall, it somewhat does and Yoko Kanno's music is brilliant as always. Still, that special something seemed missing and latter material conversion choices weren't always the best. Perhaps 13 episodes instead of noitaminA's 11 would have made a big difference.

Eureka Seven AO - Still wondering why this came to pass...Similar to the case of Last Exile, what was good about the original Eureka Seven is utterly absent in Astral Ocean. Feels like Bones suffering from similar issues to Gonzo.

Shinsekai Yori - Seemed like the kind of title I wanted to see. Then when I did, I felt absolutely nothing. Episodes later, still nothing.

Funnily enough, the two titles I actually enjoyed this year - Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Sword Art Online - are being mentioned quite a bit here. Fair enough. However, I will say this. Otaku pandering isn't exclusive to Sword Art Online - it's pretty much what keeps the anime industry afloat, otherwise there would hardly be any titles selling enough to keep studios going. If the way it pandered was what irked you, that I can understand and consider somewhat justified.