AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-07, 11:16   Link #1
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Shaman King Uncut Dub Discussion.

First off, I'm posting this a bit early. However, there are little chances of people of already getting the DVDs. But anyhow, lets just post speculations for now.

Now, from what I know, the original VA's for 4Kids will be doing the voices for the new dub characters. The names(exception to Horo Horo) will be kept as the dub names, although many things in the script will match the original dialog. First off, the episode titles are pretty close to the original version(Except for a few). Sorta like One Piece's dub titles.

Second, before ANYONE complains. For those who watched the fansubs of Shaman King, YOU WILL notice background and animation differences in the Uncut DVDs, this is because animations were redone in the masters, also on the R2 DVDS.(Thats why some people noticed the weird stars thing, and figured 4Kids edited it. This isn't true.)

One other thing. The Opening and Ending songs WILL be dubbed. This was confirmed awhile ago if anyone doesn't remember. In the mean time...just speculate how the dub might be.
Old 2004-10-07, 12:18   Link #2
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Opening and ending songs dubbed, eh? That seems like what FUNimation does to every dub track.
Old 2004-10-07, 12:32   Link #3
Meatwad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Opening and ending songs dubbed, eh? That seems like what FUNimation does to every dub track.
Well if so, then the songs should be ok. I've never seen ANY other company do SUCH A GOOD JOB at dubbing songs other than funimation.....apparently they got the first step right that every other company failed at....GETTING SOMEONE THAT COULD SING, lol...
Old 2004-10-07, 21:28   Link #4
Fronzel
Schmuck

I liked the Rayearth II dub OP...
Old 2004-11-01, 02:09   Link #5
Hakiro
hmmm..Blood

Send a message via MSN to Hakiro
Pic request

hey i was lookin for some good horo horo pictures from shaman king but i coudnt find good pictures so i was wondering if any of u guys and girls have some gd pictures from me
Old 2004-11-01, 03:44   Link #6
amaru
amaru

Lightbulb shaman piccies?--this is z answer

hi,there

well,it might not be of much use,but why don't u try www.bestanime.com ?
Old 2004-11-01, 04:00   Link #7
JediNight
キズランダム

This is why 4Kids should never license any more anime -- they taint and butcher everything they lay their hands on. We're supposed to wait for R1 DVDs and not watch fansubs -- yet we have companies like 4Kids that cut and edit the episodes and change huge amounts of the dialogue. This is a perfect example -- even the "Uncut" DVDs are editted. The DVDs include a Japanese track for both OP/ED and dialogue at least, right? And is it a subtitle or dubtitle? *shudder*

And a friend of mine has been telling me about all the edits they have made to One Piece.... its a crime Switching cigarettes for lollipops, guns for squirtguns and spring-guns, etc... Not to mention of course they can't leave any of the names in any series alone. I thought we outgrew this "protect the children from knowing its in Japan" ....
Old 2004-11-01, 09:23   Link #8
SeedBoy

Hmm, I thought the so called uncut dvd contains the original japanese dialogue too? If it does, most likely it's uncut since if they really did made some cuts and changes, whats the point of the japanese language with an unmatch/missing cut dialogues. So im hoping that its the orignal with and add on English, i dont care but as long as it's not cutted. Was planning on collecting this serie.
Old 2004-11-01, 13:04   Link #9
Suikun

Since many people here are confused about the controversy regarding both Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! (some calling them "edited"), I'll clarify:

The DVDs contain the original Japanese video track - completely unchanged and unedited - from start to finish, including the OP and ED songs in Japanese (NOT dubbed).

It also has both an English audio track and a Japanese audio track. The Japanese audio track is, from start to finish, unchanged and unedited as well. The English dub is also "uncut" in the same sense that ADV or Bandai's dubs are uncut - it contain swearing and follow the Japanese script fairly closely.

Where the problem lies is the subtitle track. There are two subtitle tracks - a dubtitle track and a subtitle track. The dubtitle track uses the English names and the dub script, whereas the subtitle track is also the dub script only using Japanese names, making it a sort of "pseudo-dubtitle" track.

So, the bottom line is: you're getting a completely uncut product with unedited Japanese audio and unedited Japanese video, just like you would with an R2 disc. Only problem is the subtitles use the more liberal translation that the dub uses.

This is NO reason to boycott the release - you're still getting an uncut product in the same way you would if you bought the R2s. In fact, all boycotting will do is tell FUNi that not enough people care to buy 4Kids shows like Shaman King or One Piece on DVD in Japanese. If you care in the least for Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew, or Sonic X, or anything else 4Kids MIGHT get (*cough* Naruto) then BUY THESE DVDs and SUPPORT THEM! If the dubtitles bother you, buy the discs, and then write to FUNimation and tell them your feelings - they have plenty of time to correct this. But do not boycott these discs based on this!!
Old 2004-11-02, 01:13   Link #10
JediNight
キズランダム

Suikun: Actually, what I would tell everyone is to email them and tell them you aren't purchasing the DVDs bc they won't leave them intact. It may not be a big deal to you -- but I will not buy any DVDs that have a dubtitle. If the only difference is using the Japanese names then its STILL a dubtitle and insults everyone who waited patiently for the R1 DVDs and wanted just a purely subtitled presentation.

English Dubs (Funi/4Kids especially) are VERY liberal in their translations ... I know alot of Japanese and I wince just thinking about listening to the Yu Yu Hakusho dubtitles for example... They drop alot out of the dubtitles and use alot of paraphrasing.

Buying the DVDs will only reinforce that they are doing a good job and not change their ways. Funimation/4Kids really is the worst thing to happen to US anime -- we end up having no legal recourse to ever see the shows uneditted bc they license them and don't provide it.

Looks like I should just buy used R2s of series Funi licenses if I want to purchase them ... cost should be about the same or cheaper then.
Old 2004-11-02, 08:57   Link #11
Suikun

Normally I'd be right there with you, but this isn't the type of case where boycotting the DVDs will get you a proper subtitle track - FUNi has already stated that future releases depend entirely upon the sales of the first two volumes of both Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King. All boycotting will do in this case is prompt FUNimation and 4Kids to never try anything like this again. I don't like dubtitles either, and I have to wonder what in the hell convinced FUNi that it'd be good for them to use dubtitles, but I will say that the dub script isn't nearly as liberal as most of FUNimation's dubs - it's much closer towards the average dub you'd see from, say, Bandai.

I simply feel it will be much more effective if people buy at least one of the discs to support the release of 4Kids' shows this way, and then launch a letter writing campaign to FUNimation to encourage them to stop using dubtitles. Otherwise, FUNi and 4Kids will just give up on this whole uncut thing.
Old 2004-11-02, 19:24   Link #12
JediNight
キズランダム

Oic .... if sales aren't good they won't even release more "uncut" DVDs? Thats even more horrible -_-;; But yeah they need to be told that uncut means they need to give us a real subtitle script and not crappy dubtitles.
Old 2004-11-10, 13:15   Link #13
Blackage

Hey Yu Yu Hakusho's subtitle & dubtitle tracks are totally different, I thought YYH's DVDs were extremely good.
Old 2004-11-10, 15:42   Link #14
Animaster
Slave to the Mighty Anime

Well, you do have to remember that they are trying to sell anime to ALL types of anime fans, not just the ones that have had the luck to experience the original subbed version. Although it is disappointing to see how little they care about the fans who have experienced the originals. Meh.
Old 2004-11-11, 04:31   Link #15
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Oic .... if sales aren't good they won't even release more "uncut" DVDs? Thats even more horrible -_-;; But yeah they need to be told that uncut means they need to give us a real subtitle script and not crappy dubtitles.
The proper term for this is "closed captioning."
Old 2004-11-12, 00:00   Link #16
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaster
Well, you do have to remember that they are trying to sell anime to ALL types of anime fans, not just the ones that have had the luck to experience the original subbed version. Although it is disappointing to see how little they care about the fans who have experienced the originals. Meh.
That shouldn't make any difference with the subtitled version, though. True, most people will just watch the uncut dub version, but it should be well known that the people who watch the subtitled version want a direct but clean translation - not the rewritten-for-the-dub script. They may as well not have even bothered with the subtitle track and just left it at the Japanese version with dub closed-captioning - when all they did was change the names for the subtitle track.
Old 2004-11-23, 16:53   Link #17
Animaster
Slave to the Mighty Anime

I picked up the DVDS the other and was outraged to find that Manta (Morty to those of you who follow the dub) is named 'Morty Manta'! What's up with that? Are they trying to make up for not using his original name? Other than that they're not all that bad. I'm glad that they used the original opening and closing though.
Old 2007-04-23, 21:14   Link #18
ibreatheanime

The english dub of shaman king is so terrible. Why does rin(who is chinese) have a british accent!?!
Closed Thread