AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-10, 01:57   Link #101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, but.... if we follow the evolutionary path.... then it would seem that Yuki is the probably end state of evolution before ceasing to need material components for existence at all
Old 2006-08-10, 02:14   Link #102
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, God can go above evolution, and since Haruhi is very, shall we say affectionate, towards Mikuru, we can safely assume that if she does get involved, everyone will evolve into her favorite toy Which of course is very nice for us males Haruhi is such a thoughtful goddess
Old 2006-08-10, 02:54   Link #103
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Hmmm, but.... if we follow the evolutionary path.... then it would seem that Yuki is the probably end state of evolution before ceasing to need material components for existence at all
Maybe I can say, Mikuru is the form for a near forseeable future. Then humans will start realising there's no need for material comfort and looks, no need for organic reproduction as they advance towards an evolutionary parth similar to the Data Entities. Kinda impossible though.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-08-10, 03:02   Link #104
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I prefer the Mikuru path of evolution Plus, humans will NEVER realise there's no need for material comfort, looks or organic reproduction. That's the basis of evolution
Old 2006-08-10, 03:20   Link #105
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, I agreed that its kinda impossible.

I cannot imagine humans shaking off speech and body language. Until we have a better method of communication, humans won't be advancing anywhere fast.

Old 2006-08-10, 10:03   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I see my lame attempt at trolling failed to ruffle the Mikuru-ites

Ah, well ... I like the SOS trio (and Tsuruya, too). Diversity is good.
Old 2006-08-10, 10:07   Link #107
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I see my lame attempt at trolling failed to ruffle the Mikuru-ites

Ah, well ... I like the SOS trio (and Tsuruya, too). Diversity is good.
I'm not exactly supporting the evolution path to Mikuru lol

I just have no confidence in the human race, they would probably be wiped out before they have any chance to evolve in the direction of Data Entities.

Old 2006-08-10, 11:11   Link #108
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

All this talk about Mikuru and Imoto reminds me to ask: Because of Kyoani's character designs, is this connection only in the anime? I don't think that Noizi Ito's original drawings even hinted at something simliar.
Old 2006-08-10, 19:50   Link #109
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
The novel mention no such connection, its just lolipedofins & okimune lovers cross crossing fantasies.

Old 2006-08-11, 00:05   Link #110
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
The novel mention no such connection, its just lolipedofins & okimune lovers cross crossing fantasies.

I would say that this dialog between Kyon and Mikuro from "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" pretty much rules out her being Kyon's sister.

"I'm sorry. I......well......um......I'm not sure......I'm like......the end interface......no, the bottom......no, I'm just like a trainee......"

"Yet you're by Haruhi's side."

"That's because, I never thought I would be caught by Suzumiya-san to join the club."

If she were Kyon's sister then she would have to know that she would end up in the club.
Old 2006-08-11, 01:40   Link #111
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
i'd bet she's missing alot of current mission briefings -_-;
Old 2006-08-11, 02:20   Link #112
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
I would say that this dialog between Kyon and Mikuro from "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" pretty much rules out her being Kyon's sister.

"I'm sorry. I......well......um......I'm not sure......I'm like......the end interface......no, the bottom......no, I'm just like a trainee......"

"That's because, I never thought I would be caught by Suzumiya-san to join the club."

If she were Kyon's sister then she would have to know that she would end up in the club.
Hmmm there's much more clearer and simpler ways to prove that Mikuru isn't Kyon's sister, but your quote here isn't one of them

But in the first place, almost nobody ever thought of Mikuru as Kyon's sister. Most if not all were thinking she's a descendant of his sister, which I also doubt.
Quote:

This quote is telling us that why would the lowest ranking of all time travellers be sent to investigate Haruhi in such a close proximity, why not a veteran for such a dangerous target? Mikuru tells Kyon its not that she's being sent to investigate on Haruhi so intimately, but she was literally 'summoned' by Haruhi.

Then this asks another question, why in the first place would the time travellers send a helpless trainee back into the past? The answer is simple: History required her to be there. Meaning she is part of the past, she has influenced too many things in the past and thus has become an important part of the past for the future to happen. Like we were saying several posts above, Mikuru is the future of humanity, she is that important.

And Kyon's sister could never have made it into the SOS-dan even if she wanted to. Kyon is 16, Imouto is 10, Kyon would have been in 2nd year or even 3rd year university before Imouto even gets into High School.

Old 2006-08-11, 10:10   Link #113
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
But in the first place, almost nobody ever thought of Mikuru as Kyon's sister. Most if not all were thinking she's a descendant of his sister, which I also doubt.
Depending on how far in the future she is from, it is possible that she is a decendant of everyone in SOS Dan except herself. I have wondered, given her initial reaction, if she might be Yuki's decendant, with Yuki possibly still being around in her time. The great great, ect. grandmother that she was always scared of.
Quote:
And Kyon's sister could never have made it into the SOS-dan even if she wanted to. Kyon is 16, Imouto is 10, Kyon would have been in 2nd year or even 3rd year university before Imouto even gets into High School.
I think that they assume that she traveled back in time, but I think that Mikuru is from the far future. After all, when she gave Kyon the hint she acted as if she hadn't seen him in a long time. If she had been from a few years in the future she would still see him. I don't think that they would ever send people back to a time where they would interact with themsellves. Mikuru big even caused Mikuru little to go to sleep so she wouldn't see her.
Old 2006-08-12, 03:49   Link #114
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
so as to prevent collision from time planes. and so on.
wow those theories on time travelling and time planes distortion and re-editing and reformating is making me nuts ><
Old 2006-08-16, 12:59   Link #115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
http://www.animesecrets.org/anime/Haruhi/Haruhi.html

Here we go, these two reviews put my views on the Series (as opposed to the novels) into perspective for everybody, better than I could personally. The guy on the top Kuzu Ryu Sen I know in person. Though the bottom reviewer Loner's last paragraph pretty well sums up everything I feel about this series quite almost too perfectly.
Old 2006-08-16, 13:30   Link #116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
http://www.animesecrets.org/anime/Haruhi/Haruhi.html

Here we go, these two reviews put my views on the Series (as opposed to the novels) into perspective for everybody, better than I could personally. The guy on the top Kuzu Ryu Sen I know in person. Though the bottom reviewer Loner's last paragraph pretty well sums up everything I feel about this series quite almost too perfectly.
Well ... to critique the critiques .... Kuzu's report sounds like he was watching the show with one eye while playing Counterstrike with the other. There's a lot of blanket assertions without anything to back them up. In fact, some of the few examples he does provide simply emphasize my feeling he wasn't really paying attention. It may also be that he finds works like "12 Monkeys" and "The 39 Steps" .... or stuff by Douglas Adams, Hitchcock, and Vonnegut to be similarly undesirable. He'd better stay away from Fellini ...

The second report by Loner made a bit more sense but "gimmicky" can be used to shred everything from Beowulf to Shakespeare in the way he is using it. He seems to have focused on the fluff rather than the central plot. He does note the animation can't be beat. I watched "The Seven Samurai (kurosawa)" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" last night .... they were pretty gimmicky

I find the difficulty they both had with the timeline approach kind of sad ... its a technique that has been used by a few authors to great effect (along with point-of-view fractured stories that drop you into it via first person). Faulkner, Vonnegut ... Hitchcock was very fond of similar disorienting techniques. Memory is a non-linear mess of nodes ... and this story is from Kyon's POV and recollection - who has had his world turned upside down.

In the end, I suppose both are simply opinions (as is mine) -- but as they say, anyone on the Internet can have an opinion. Well supported opinions get more weight. This has me thinking I should do my own negative review of Suzumiya ... it *does* have some problems and some of the storytelling techniques are not for everyone ... but from a "speech & debate" viewpoint I'm just not seeing the negative case made well.

Probably the best slam against the series is that it is a pale shadow of the novels (which also don't contain peripheral injoke fad references that the anime added).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-16 at 16:14.
Old 2006-08-24, 16:35   Link #117
popspops

Send a message via MSN to popspops
Ok now...lets face it,nobody here said anything accurate about Haruhi.
NOW,since I'm not even sure whether I understood the whole plot I'd like you all to explain clearly what happens,since nobody in the whole board summed it up.
Then,after giving your personal opinion,I'd like you to EXPLAIN what gives you that particular opinion...I think that's enough for more to come,right?
Old 2006-08-24, 17:12   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not sure KyoAni *intended* there to be a pat explanation or "here's the plot in five lines" summary for the series (just like the novels tell the story from Kyon's Point Of View ... its not the universal point of view... only Kyon's).
It really depends on which level you want to examine the show from and which factional view within the show you tend to be most comfortable with. The series is like a multi-faceted jewel -- different people tend to focus on different facets. I tend to focus on the science fiction and physics aspects, the directing techniques, animation, and the acting.

Many posters on the board have done pretty good jobs explaining pieces of the show and various facets (the Ontological Thread has some very good posts). So the sweeping condemnation of the entire board having said nothing accurate about Haruhi is a bit hard to defend itself.
Old 2006-08-24, 21:23   Link #119
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by popspops
Ok now...lets face it,nobody here said anything accurate about Haruhi.
NOW,since I'm not even sure whether I understood the whole plot I'd like you all to explain clearly what happens,since nobody in the whole board summed it up.
Then,after giving your personal opinion,I'd like you to EXPLAIN what gives you that particular opinion...I think that's enough for more to come,right?
You cannot understand the story by just reading summaries, you must actually be part of the discussions we had throughout the 14 weeks when the show aired.

The entire anime is summarised, partially, in the 14 episode discussion threads. To understand the story even more, you must read the novels.

To summarise the story, even the anime alone would be too much for a single thread, let alone a single post. The only way to get a deeper understanding of the story is to read all 14 discussion threads, the general thread and all sticky threads.

Old 2006-08-25, 00:25   Link #120
Jeiku

Actually, I think Haruhi was the best comedy series I've seen in some time. I was glad to not see it had to depend too much on typical situation humour or exaggerated expressions, and Kyon's narration made it seem as though the show was making fun of even itself, which was great. There weren't any "punchlines" as far as I was aware and the excellent and fast-paced animation contributed to its amusement. The nonchronological sequence of episodes threw me off at first though, and before I saw the series I almost considered watching it in proper order, though I'm glad to not have gone through with that (since watching episode 9 last wouldn't exactly be satisfying). Anyway, I enjoyed it overall, and it had some memorable characters and events. I do wish it were a bit longer though, but oh well.
Closed Thread