AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-18, 21:13   Link #1
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
DC says buy american by trading a manga for a DC comic

A comic book shop in Florida is running a promotion where if you trade in any volume 1 from a manga (hmmm, why only vol 1, so it is easier to resell I bet lol) and get a free DC Comic. This promotion was paid in part by DC (aren't they owned by Time Warner who also own Kids WB, and Cartoon Network?) comics.
Quote:
"A Comic Shop," a retailer located in Winter Park, Florida, created an ad that offers one #1 comic from DC Comics' The New 52 line to anyone who trades in the first volume of any manga. There is a limit of one trade per person. DC Comics approved and paid for 75% of the ad, which will also be distributed as a flyer at Orlando's MegaCon event. The character Cyborg is renamed "Robama," after U.S. President Barack Obama, in the ad that reads, "Robama wants you to buy American!" The background image appears on the cover of the Justice League #5 comic.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...a-for-dc-issue

lol Robama (robot Obama) looks like something out of a manga lol
This message brought to you in part by comic's most well known illegal alien (aren't most of the justice league illegal aliens? Wonder Woman? Superman? Aquaman? )
Old 2012-01-18, 21:16   Link #2
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Superman is a racist?! anyways i have extra manga volumes i would likely to trade with some DC comics though it's in Florida <_<
Old 2012-01-18, 21:43   Link #3
yuzen003

Manga typically costs around $10 a book, a comic is usually around $3-$4 dollars. Even if you are the biggest comic fan in the world simple economics would say this "deal" would be pretty stupid.
Old 2012-01-18, 22:14   Link #4
Makender
Varsity Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzen003 View Post
Manga typically costs around $10 a book, a comic is usually around $3-$4 dollars. Even if you are the biggest comic fan in the world simple economics would say this "deal" would be pretty stupid.
Actually I believe simple economics would entail that some people may take them up on this offer as they place equal or greater value on the comic than the manga (ie they personally value the comic at $10 or greater). So they profit from the transaction as they are receiving something that they personally value more than the manga they are trading in. And then of course DC Comics receives a manga that is through MSRP more valuable than the comic they just traded.

You have to look beyond the price tag on the book and examine personal preferences. So at least from an economics standpoint it is economically sound for both parties as long as they are rational beings.

Old 2012-01-18, 22:50   Link #5
yuzen003

True, but if you valued the manga enough to buy it rather then reading it in a store or online you probably want to own it. You may also want to own the comic, but since it does not appear to be a unique special edition comic how does it make sense to trade 1 item you want to own for another less valuable (at least in the sense of price) item you also want to own?
If you really don't want the manga you could have sold the manga for half price and still get more then the value of the comic. Why not just sell the manga you don't want and buy the comic, you would get to keep the difference instead of giving it to the comic book store?
Old 2012-01-18, 23:07   Link #6
Makender
Varsity Slacker

^You could argue that DC Comics is saving you some kind of transaction cost by eliminating whatever transaction cost you incur (ie time, perhaps money) through searching for somewhere or someone to buy the manga, travel cost, perhaps shipping cost, etc. In essence, you can argue that they are eliminating the middleman.

Let's say you value the comic and the manga at both $11. You sell the manga to someone or someplace for $5 (as they will pay you half of MSRP). You use that $5 to buy the comic which costs you $4. You get the personal value of $11 for the comic and an additional $1 in cash for a total surplus of $12.

In the trading scenario, you trade the manga you value at $11 for the comic that you also value at $11 (or perhaps a bit more to give you incentive to actually trade, but that doesn't really matter). In this case you have a personal surplus of just $11 (or maybe a little more) which is worse than the previous case. However, now take into consideration that there is some kind of transaction cost associated here from having to sell the manga yourself that costs you $2. Your surplus then drops to $10 making the above case more profitable.

Of course this is all dependent on all the actual values that are in place and can go either away. This may be a bit of a flimsy argument in that way, but economically speaking I still see it as a possibly viable strategy.

Old 2012-01-18, 23:23   Link #7
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Why would any one do that trading in schoolgirl in skirts for dudes in spandex

And they way they said it was a little racist
Old 2012-01-18, 23:27   Link #8
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Superman is a racist?!
I have seen wierder stuff.
Like Batman at the beginning (golden age) killed people by snapping their necks with his boots and he had no problem with throwing people into acid. Also he slapped Robin in many occasions. So we had a coldblooded murderer and a child abuser as our caped crusader back then.
Also Donald Duck was a Nazi in a cartoon (even if it ended being a dream)
Old 2012-01-18, 23:40   Link #9
Snow_Storm
Welcome to primetime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I have seen wierder stuff.
Like Batman at the beginning (golden age) killed people by snapping their necks with his boots and he had no problem with throwing people into acid. Also he slapped Robin in many occasions. So we had a coldblooded murderer and a child abuser as our caped crusader back then.
Also Donald Duck was a Nazi in a cartoon (even if it ended being a dream)
You know, seeing Batman breaking people neck and fucking them up badly is a Batman I would not mind reading in the comics.

The only thing I see this being bad is that now weeaboos are gonna attack me for liking DC Comics after this..."BUY AMERICAN" crap came out. Thankfully, nobody that I know who like manga haven't been upset about it.

Old 2012-01-19, 00:27   Link #10
Xion Valkyrie

Haha...ROBAMA...
Old 2012-01-19, 00:43   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

It’s up to personal preferences, really. The trade is fair since nobody is being fooled (about the difference in prices and all).

As for me, will I trade the intense story of my Vagabond vol 1, the funny and easygoing Shaman King vol 1, the rise of Yami Yugi in Yu-Gi-Oh! vol 1, the precious nostalgia that is Kamen Rider Spirit vol 1, the cute girls and hilarious plot of Negima! vol 1, the tragedy of life in Rainbow vol 1, the conspiracy in 20th Century Boys vol 1, and the slow and melancholic Chobits vol 1 for superhero stories? Hell no. (even though I love Batman) >_<
Old 2012-01-19, 02:55   Link #12
surerman
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to surerman
WAHAHAHAHAHA
At last ... American comic industry start to realize how their 'Pearl Harbour' attacked and retaliate against it

In my society, it's a long well known that Japanese re-peat their action to initiate the war through another medium than amunition We call it Another Mind World War.

Now, 'Japan' already present in all the country that Japanese conquer in the past.
China, South east Asia, Korea, etc. The main target is young generation, and today, Cosplay already played even by American. The Figure in the kids Treasure box is no longer that of a Masked Man in tight suit, but a Moe character from anime or manga.

In Transformers scene (after BumbleBee reveal it true form in the fight against Barricade), Sam said: "It's must be Japanese..yeah!"

Their mind already set, that they think Japanese is 'great', 'high-tech','strong', 'best',etc

And in the past, Antwerpen (pardon me if I spell the name wrong) the city famous for it's technique to cut diamond, banned Japanese to take a peek about their technique in fear that they'll stole it
================================================== ========

anyway...good luck DC. May the killers with you
Old 2012-01-19, 05:46   Link #13
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'm neither Japanese nor American, so I wouldn't be considered patriotic no matter which I bought.
Old 2012-01-19, 06:20   Link #14
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by surerman View Post
WAHAHAHAHAHA
At last ... American comic industry start to realize how their 'Pearl Harbour' attacked and retaliate against it

In my society, it's a long well known that Japanese re-peat their action to initiate the war through another medium than amunition We call it Another Mind World War.

Now, 'Japan' already present in all the country that Japanese conquer in the past.
China, South east Asia, Korea, etc. The main target is young generation, and today, Cosplay already played even by American. The Figure in the kids Treasure box is no longer that of a Masked Man in tight suit, but a Moe character from anime or manga.
Reminded me of a saying in East Asian countries.

"MOE is taking over the world!!!!!!!!"
Old 2012-01-19, 06:23   Link #15
AlaAlba

huh? DC? what is that?
Old 2012-01-19, 09:46   Link #16
Riltz
⌂ Vulcan 300 ⌂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I'm neither Japanese nor American, so I wouldn't be considered patriotic no matter which I bought.
Me too, but where i live there aren't too many titles, just the mainstreams/best sellers like bleach, dragon ball, slam dunk or some others like Zetman, Mx0 or Evangelion.
And there is no official reseller of american comics, you have to either travel or pay like USD 30 each with the shipping fees

Also, didn't they make anime versions of wolverine and x-men? they are not from DC (from Marvel i think) but the fanbase is in US, so what if the make a manga of the anime version? Robama does not compute, anihilate
Closed Thread