AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-08, 02:00   Link #41
traziemykel
Chimpira

is it ture? theres going to be a 2nd season!?!
Old 2007-01-08, 02:03   Link #42
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to HolyCow
Kyon almost striking Haruhi in anger is interesting, but I don't think it's THAT important, especially if you compare it to the other stories. But maybe that's just me.

If they were to animate the entire book just for that one scene (and some others like the Mikuru-Beam explanation), it would be a waste IMO since there other better material (again IMO) for them to work on.
Old 2007-01-08, 02:12   Link #43
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
Kyon almost striking Haruhi in anger is interesting, but I don't think it's THAT important, especially if you compare it to the other stories. But maybe that's just me.

If they were to animate the entire book just for that one scene (and some others like the Mikuru-Beam explanation), it would be a waste IMO since there other better material (again IMO) for them to work on.
But as you said, everything else in that book is about Haruhi throwing a tantrum and chucking random miracles left and right. If that critical moment isn't the whole point of book 2, I fail to see what could be.

So, what IS important in book 2, in your opinion then?
After all, what could be more important than Kyon and Haruhi finally reaching an understanding?
Old 2007-01-08, 02:28   Link #44
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

Yes I agree that that's the whole point of volume 2, and specifically why I don't hope it's animated in place of Season 2.

If KyoAni were to animate Season 2, think about it, which would be better material: Volume 2 or Volume 4? Volume 2 was a good read, this I admit, but it's pretty shallow to Volume 4, don't you think? There are some important bits, this I agree, but IMO Volume 4 would make better source material. For one it's more interesting IMO than watching the SOS Brigade film a movie which we've already seen. In other words, if they animate Volume 2, we would have 3 or 4 "I've seen the movie so I already know what's going to happen" episodes and maybe 2 or 3 "OMG Kyon's about to strike Haruhi!" episodes, as opposed to Volume 4 having a new, refreshing plot (at least to anyone who hasn't read the novels).

And maybe it's just me, but Volume 4 seems to be able to incorporate more short stories, like Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody for instance.
Old 2007-01-08, 02:39   Link #45
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Yes I agree that that's the whole point of volume 2, and specifically why I don't hope it's animated in place of Season 2.

If KyoAni were to animate Season 2, think about it, which would be better material: Volume 2 or Volume 4? Volume 2 was a good read, this I admit, but it's pretty shallow to Volume 4, don't you think? There are some important bits, this I agree, but IMO Volume 4 would make better source material. For one it's more interesting IMO than watching the SOS Brigade film a movie which we've already seen. In other words, if they animate Volume 2, we would have 3 or 4 "I've seen the movie so I already know what's going to happen" episodes and maybe 2 or 3 "OMG Kyon's about to strike Haruhi!" episodes, as opposed to Volume 4 having a new, refreshing plot (at least to anyone who hasn't read the novels).

And maybe it's just me, but Volume 4 seems to be able to incorporate more short stories, like Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody for instance.

You seemed to believe the entire book 2 would need 13 episodes, am I right?
Well, I personally don't think so. It would be a breeze fitting the book within 4 episodes, at most. If they really wanted to, KyoAni can squeeze it into 2 episodes. As you said, the rest of the book wasn't that important and thus could be abbreviated.

Don't forget, people out there are still dying to know why the HELL was the cat talking in ep 00. And the cat, though unimportant in the first season, get to have regular appearances later. Thus between these two reasons, at least 2 episodes would need to be dedicated to book 2.
Old 2007-01-08, 03:00   Link #46
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Don't forget, people out there are still dying to know why the HELL was the cat talking in ep 00.
I'm one of those people. And another would be an admin at a board I go to who also happens to be a fan of Haruhi.
Old 2007-01-08, 03:27   Link #47
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

If they could condense both volumes into a single season, that would indeed be the best. But if they do indeed squeeze DISAPPEARANCE and SIGHS together, that would probably reduce the number of other short stories that could be included, like Snow Mountain Syndrome, for instance.

I don't think they're going to cut out some unimportant parts of the novel if they truly decide to animate it. If they stick true to the novel, it would probably need around 5 episodes to complete (1st episode picks up where MELANCHOLY left off, 2nd starts with the filming of commercials, Mikuru Beam, Yuki's explanation etc, 3rd about the shrine, lake and Shamy, 4th about the Kyon/Haruhi incident, as well as Koizumi's little speech and finally 5th the conclusion). I don't see how they're going to squeeze everything into 2 episodes, especially if they're going to maintain that level of drama during the Kyon/Haruhi incident. 5 episodes would be my bet.

Since DISAPPEARANCE has 6 chapters and 1 epilogue, I'd take it that it'll require 7 episodes to wrap it up. Throw in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and you have 8. That's already 13 episodes, and if we stick to the original 14, the remaining episode will probably be Endless Eight or Charmed, since Snow Mountain Syndrome can't possibly fit into one episode.

If they do combine both books, they would probably not be able to cover other material like Snow Mountain Syndrome. But oh well, we can always hope for a third season ;P

Come to think of it, it would be kinda logical to put Snow Mountain Syndrome in the third season (if they ever animate one), since from what I've read in Volume 7 (the Baka Tsuki translation) they seem to be elaborating pretty much on Snow Mountain Syndrome.
Old 2007-01-08, 03:49   Link #48
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Since DISAPPEARANCE has 6 chapters and 1 epilogue, I'd take it that it'll require 7 episodes to wrap it up. Throw in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and you have 8. That's already 13 episodes, and if we stick to the original 14, the remaining episode will probably be Endless Eight or Charmed, since Snow Mountain Syndrome can't possibly fit into one episode.
Melancholy has 7 chapter and an Epilogue, from what I've read, and it was adapted into 6 episodes.
Old 2007-01-08, 04:10   Link #49
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

It all depends on how KyoAni adapts DISAPPEARANCE. They could always leave it like how the novel ended and probably fit it into 6 episodes, or they could adapt INTRIGUES's prologue (Which I view as the 'true' ending to DISAPPEARANCE) and combine it with the epilogue to make another episode.
Old 2007-01-08, 12:24   Link #50
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Hehehe, without a book 2 explanation, anime watchers are going to be looking at Kyon a little funny after this scene:
Quote:
Originally Posted by book 4
I grabbed the cat back. Shamisen's whiskers were shaking, apparently annoyed by being treated like merchandise. Sorry, I'll reward you with dried food afterwards.

"I need to have a word with it. Just the two of us. So, get out of my room. Now!"

"Hey, I'd like to talk too. That's unfair, Kyon-kun! Eh... You're talking with Shami? Eh? Really?"

Without further answers, I lifted my sister by her waist, and dropped her outside the room. "Don't open the door! No matter what!" I shut the door after the harsh warning.

"Mom~, Kyon-kun's brain has turned to noodles!"

My sister could be heard walking down the stairs, saying a line which might turn out to be right.

"So, Shamisen."

I sat cross-legged, and started talking to the precious tri-colored cat sitting on the floor.

"Okay, I told you before to stop talking no matter what. But now, never mind that. Rather, it would comfort me at this moment if you speak up. So, Shamisen. Say something. Whatever is fine. Philosophy, natural science, your choice. Even if it is difficult to understand. Please speak!"
Old 2007-01-11, 04:04   Link #51
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

Great to know ... Another one more anime to wait and look forward to ...
Old 2007-01-11, 21:10   Link #52
mrclastro

I don't know if the second season would be as much of a success as the first season though. I guess it was that random (kind of random) order of the story that made it so original (funny yes, but they could of done that with or without the random order)...but I guess I'll be looking forward to it.
Old 2007-01-12, 02:01   Link #53
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been eagerly following the novel translations.

Anyway, I was thinking about how the second season could be made and ordered to match the random-like style of the first, and thought, how likely could it be for the first broadcast episode of the second season to be Haruhi Theater?

From what I understand, Haruhi Theater was written by Tanigawa and serialized in the August 2004 edition of The Sneaker, but was never compiled into novel form. The feel of the story is quite similar to The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00. It's quite random, with no real impact to the actual plot. Also requires little background knowledge, just good-old Haruhi showing off her nigh-omnipotent powers and indominable personality.

Here's a link to a fan translation:

http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/HaruhiTheater.htm

Anyway, while reading through Snow Mountain Syndrome again, I stumbled across this passage that I missed the first time:

Spoiler:

That scene in Snow Mountain is a clear reference to Haruhi Theater. If Snow Mountain appears in season 2 (which I think there's a good chance for), then I think Haruhi Theater has a shot at being animated. If anything, it's something that could even throw some novel readers off. ^_^

Last edited by Mirrinus; 2007-01-12 at 02:50.
Old 2007-01-12, 05:39   Link #54
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I think Kyoto animations best bet for a second season of Haruhi would be from volume four of the novels
although some bits and pieces from volume two since some people seem to be pointing out some events that need to be animated and that is somewhat related to volume four
but then again its just my opinion
we all dont really know what the second season will be based on
although we all have a pretty good guess on what it will be based on

and about the "Snow Mountain Syndrome" being a movie or a short two episode OVA
that doesn"t sound like a bad idea but i never did read that story yet so i dont really know how it would work out though
Old 2007-01-12, 21:42   Link #55
soulsama

Send a message via MSN to soulsama
The second season will be out this fall. Hopefully it has the same graphics and design as the old one.
Old 2007-01-12, 23:05   Link #56
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been eagerly following the novel translations.

Anyway, I was thinking about how the second season could be made and ordered to match the random-like style of the first, and thought, how likely could it be for the first broadcast episode of the second season to be Haruhi Theater?

From what I understand, Haruhi Theater was written by Tanigawa and serialized in the August 2004 edition of The Sneaker, but was never compiled into novel form. The feel of the story is quite similar to The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00. It's quite random, with no real impact to the actual plot. Also requires little background knowledge, just good-old Haruhi showing off her nigh-omnipotent powers and indominable personality.

Anyway, while reading through Snow Mountain Syndrome again, I stumbled across this passage that I missed the first time:

Spoiler:

That scene in Snow Mountain is a clear reference to Haruhi Theater. If Snow Mountain appears in season 2 (which I think there's a good chance for), then I think Haruhi Theater has a shot at being animated. If anything, it's something that could even throw some novel readers off. ^_^
This picture came to mind immediately when I read that part, but I didn't know where it came from. Now I do. ^^

Old 2007-01-14, 17:16   Link #57
xxsaznpride

Stuff that'd be nice for season 2 (I think):

1) Another concert, but with the SOS-dan as the band.

2) Snow Mountain Syndrome (cause god knows we need more Tsuruya).

3) Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody has to be made into an episode. It's pretty much the catalyst for the whole series. It's why Haruhi kept searching for aliens, and why she went to North High...

after that, I'm only on volume 3... so bleh for newbs like me. And I love that picture of everyone like they're in a medieval~style RPG. It's so nice, I used it as my wallpaper a while back.
Old 2007-01-18, 20:41   Link #58
mugener

gees, duno what's hitting my head but this idea suddenly pop up.

I think Haruhi 2nd season will have some reference of Nyoro~n 4koma. :3

Just look how popular it is, so many other series are using it.

There's no way an otaku company like kyoani will ignore this.
Old 2007-01-18, 23:23   Link #59
xxsaznpride

What other series are using it? I remember seeing it once in another series' koma or whatever, but nowhere else, and I don't even remember the name of the series.

EPs I now think they'll make: (in no order)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
Snow Mountain Syndrome
"The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi" ~ no matter how long it gets
Charmed at First Sight LOVER

I think that'd be it... with the Disappearance being the main thing like Melancholy was in the first season. Last ep would be the last part of Disappearance: with the surprises that it brings, it has to be.
Old 2007-01-18, 23:25   Link #60
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsaznpride View Post
EPs I now think they'll make: (in no order)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
Snow Mountain Syndrome
"The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi" ~ no matter how long it gets
Charmed at First Sight LOVER
Those would make for a very heavy Yuki season, and as a Yuki fan, I can't complain.
Closed Thread