Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-08, 03:47   Link #461
tera_ha

new promo of the live action film
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...easer-streamed
Old 2012-03-21, 09:32   Link #462
Stokky

Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-Hen OVA Volume 1 was released today (on Blu-ray and DVD)

Volume 2 is now planned for August 22, 2012 (no theatrical screening ahead of the BD/DVD release?)

http://www.animekon.com/news-1476-Ru...A-2-Dated.html
Stokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 16:13   Link #463
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just watching the raw. Looks pretty good in terms of animation by DEEN standards, closer to anime than OVA style - faces still look too soft, though. Narita Ken seems to have been a good choice to step in as Saito.

But that BGM, and hearing Suzukaze Mayo again... The emotions rise up big-time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 16:19   Link #464
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just watching the raw. Looks pretty good in terms of animation by DEEN standards, closer to anime than OVA style - faces still look too soft, though. Narita Ken seems to have been a good choice to step in as Saito.

But that BGM, and hearing Suzukaze Mayo again... The emotions rise up big-time.
Does that mean it would pass off for a modern TV series these days?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 16:19   Link #465
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Welcome to the 21st century, Deen. I guess.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 17:28   Link #466
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Does that mean it would pass off for a modern TV series these days?
Yeah, it would. From what I can see, it looks very good in terms of pure quality. It's just that the "look" isn't especially faithful to Watsuki's look. It doesn't look cheap - just not quite right.

I wonder if any group (I think there are a couple actual groups left out there in this streaming age) will pick this up.
Old 2012-03-21, 18:10   Link #467
Kouvley

Watched the raw. It met my rather low expectations so I thought it was ok.

A few thoughts:

Ken Narita is a very good replacement as Saito's voice, don't think they could have found much better.

The remixed BGMs sounded a bit lacking to me for some reason, they could have just used the old tracks tbh.

One major change to the story
Spoiler for spoiler:
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 15:51   Link #468
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 11:14   Link #469
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Watched the OVA and decided to give a few comments.

Spoiler for OVA comments:
Old 2012-03-23, 18:39   Link #470
tyciol
*Artist

Is this about " Requiem For The Restoration Patriots" on Ny? I don't see an (L) on this t hread, yet also don't see a tracker for whatever work(s) it is talking about...
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 11:42   Link #471
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm really shocked that no group has decided to pick this up, apparently. Given all the stature the franchise has, you'd think someone would consider it a must. This is the downside of the streaming area, I suppose - there just aren't as many true subbers as there once were.
Old 2012-03-27, 20:46   Link #472
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm really shocked that no group has decided to pick this up, apparently. Given all the stature the franchise has, you'd think someone would consider it a must. This is the downside of the streaming area, I suppose - there just aren't as many true subbers as there once were.
I wouldn't start blaming the fansubbers. I don't consider it their fault. I'll explain why.

Most are afraid to pick up something that possibly may or may not be copyrighted (even if in the future) and sub it due to all the Internet issues lately like with Megaupload (which was sued by the way). Quite a few of the best fansubbers out there have just closed down their sites and left or join other smaller groups. However, since Rurouni Kenshin is still partially copyrighted here in the U.S. and most certainly in certain other countries, a sub group might not pick it up until it's already here in America with English subs and voice track. Even then, it's farfetched.

You see, it's not that the subbers are gone, it is merely because the Internet security known as these "copyright-free" bastards are stopping them from doing what they want. If they upload such content, they will be fined. And the subbers are already not paid enough.
Old 2012-03-27, 21:43   Link #473
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Oh, I'm not blaming them - merely bemoaning the fact that there are so many fewer of them with the current landscape being what it is.

I do think the obstacles you mention haven't been enough to stop many other properties from being subbed. I think it's more a question of relatively few groups being in a position to work on Shin Kyoto-hen, and very few of those that work with older properties.
Old 2012-03-28, 00:32   Link #474
Jellal
Anime Critic

Been waiting two weeks, any subtitles available yet?
Jellal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 01:39   Link #475
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Damn, why is this in "Current"? Got my hopes up!
Old 2012-03-28, 03:28   Link #476
tera_ha

OMG. I LOVE this. watching it raw even though i don't get the dialogue

it might be weird but osts from the earlier kenshin brought tears. i love kenshin . if only the can animate the rest of manga
Old 2012-03-28, 10:48   Link #477
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
If they would, I'd like back the old drawing style rather than this new version.

I'd even accept - and wait for it - Seisou-hen's animation style (but never the story, oh god no).

This new style of animation (or drawing if you will) is horrible. I can tell who the characters are but the animation quality has dropped quite a bit not only on characters but fighting scenes. I always respect RK because though it was done in 1996-1998, the animation quality was great when both studios did it. Albeit, filler episodes were poorly animated with the exception of one in particular, it was a well drawn series. It stuck as close as possible in as many episodes as possible to Nobuhiro Watsuki's original drawing.

Plus, they've added things to the story that weren't originally there and twisted around pieces in the story to fit those added things. I feel like I'm watching Seisou-hen all over again except I know he won't die in the end.

Uh, wait... I shouldn't say that until I see the next OVA.

Given that Studio Deen also did Seisou-hen, I shouldn't keep too far away from that thought...
Old 2012-03-28, 10:59   Link #478
kuromitsu

I started watching this because I like Kenshin a lot (that is, the manga and the TV series, thankyouverymuch)... well, I didn't have high hopes for it, but man, I'm at 7:54 and already my reaction is "this is bad, this is so bad, why can't they just do a proper adaptation of the bloody manga?" :/

It's the OVAs all over again, except with worse art (wtf is up with Saitou's nose??) and worse writing. No sense of playfulness to give depth and humanity to the tragedies, no sense of humor whatsoever (come on, it's Misao!), overwrought music (I loved the OST of the first OVA series but the later ones are painful), pretentiousness, and... basically, this is not Kenshin. :/ This is like an original project based loosely on Watsuki's manga and his characters.

Ah well, going to make some food and resume watching... I hope it'll get better. -_-) If only the writing was good, but no - I am familiar with Kenshin but even so the intro was confusing and choppy.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 11:30   Link #479
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
Nope, it won't get better. But if you grin and bear it, there is one Kenshin and Kaoru scene to look forward too.

And the ironic part about what you said, kuromitsu, is that Studio Deen did do the OVAs. Except Tsuioku-hen was just beautiful at animation and story, albeit still having some plot holes. However, Seisou-hen doesn't live up to its other half. And the only thing to love about it was the animation.

If you get through the whole OVA (the one out now), then you'll probably see the same things I do about the plot and story changes from the anime and manga itself. At least the series was faithful to the manga in the Kyoto arc. It sickens me to see them do this remake. They did better with Seisou-hen at going through the previous story arcs. Now, had they not killed Kenshin off, then that would've been nice.
Old 2012-03-28, 13:38   Link #480
kuromitsu

>LoveMeKags
Actually, I didn't like Tsuiokuhen either. ^^;; The music was pretty but the rest was just not the Kenshin I knew and loved. It was still much better than Seisouhen (let's just not get into how I feel about that piece of... OVA).

As for this... thing... that we have here... I've watched it and I'm sorry to say that LoveMeKags was right, it didn't get any better. If anything, it got worse.

Spoiler for ep 1:

Long story short - I'm not watching the rest of this OVA, and if they want to animate the second arc of the manga with this staff I'd rather it doesn't get animated at all.

Spoiler for sex:

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-03-28 at 13:51.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, shounen