AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-15, 18:41   Link #1021
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
Personally my problem with the series so far is that I find really difficult to relate to any of all the character. I think that the writer should establish a more tight emotional link with the spectator. Because what I have seen so far is not bad, but is not so great either. I feel it lacks of emotions, it lacks of pathos and maybe more content could be filled within each episode. Besides Head, there’s not a single character which I find really interesting. Of course the series seems to develop and eventually will give lots of insights about the character and the story, but I think the writer (so Enokido, since he has wrote all the episodes until now) should have already delivered something at least to please the audience. Perhaps is not the best comparison, but in Utena there was much more character exposition thanks to the dramatic retrospective about each of the main characters. While I thought some of them to be over-dramatic, they were good. In Star Driver instead each episode instead feels too “empty”, and since we are almost at one third of the story there’s no room for setting to tone or introduction anymore.

Dunno, I liked all previous Igarashi’s anime, I even liked Soul Eater in terms of direction and animation, but I think that Star Driver does not have that “something” that makes an anime good. Hence I hope in a change in pacing or direction to happen soon.

About Head, well, he’s the only character that interests me. I want really to know why he has become what he is. His parts in each episode with the story told by Sakana-chan are my favorites.
A couple of episodes ago I might have agreed with you about the characters lacking enough depth to care about what they are doing, but I think the show is finally getting there....wherever there is going to be. Small consolation I know, but I'd advise sticking with it to at least the halfway point since it looks like the plot is finally taking off and is unlikely to go back to full on wacky hijinks as a source of filler we saw in earlier episodes. Hopefully the next set of episodes will make up a bit for any perceived wasted time early on.

To Star Driver's credit it seems to have gotten it's plot moving quicker than most 70's/80's super robot series did. There's a reason I can't watch the original Mazinger Z or Getter Robo despite my love of all the re-imaginings and spinoffs from the 90's and 2000's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I blame Superman.

Seriously, if Superman can do it without killing Louise with his arms of steel, anyone can.
You mean Lois?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 21:53   Link #1022
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Whatever Sugata's fate is, I really hope his new LI isn't pink haired girl. Would be eye-roll worthy if she was just because she used her First Phase power in where she can charm any man she kisses. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Speaking of...who is who in the story? Is Sugata or Takuto Sam? Or does she make no sense in comparison to the story?
Pretty sure Sam is Takuto, as Sam was referred to as the 'squid piercer' during the squid episode. Also, makes sense since Sugata summons the King's pillar, and there is a King in the story as well. Highly doubt its a coincidence that Takuto doesn't pursue Wako in the same episode where fish girl mentions that for Sam to drive the ship, he needs to sacrifice the one he loves.

Of course, I could be totally wrong in that Sam is merely just the story of Takuto before he came to the island, or even that Sugata is Sam (even though I fail to see any parallels). But that's how I see it now.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 22:06   Link #1023
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Whatever Sugata's fate is, I really hope his new LI isn't pink haired girl. Would be eye-roll worthy if she was just because she used her First Phase power in where she can charm any man she kisses. >_>

Pretty sure Sam is Takuto, as Sam was referred to as the 'squid piercer' during the squid episode. Also, makes sense since Sugata summons the King's pillar, and there is a King in the story as well. Highly doubt its a coincidence that Takuto doesn't pursue Wako in the same episode where fish girl mentions that for Sam to drive the ship, he needs to sacrifice the one he loves.

Of course, I could be totally wrong in that Sam is merely just the story of Takuto before he came to the island, or even that Sugata is Sam (even though I fail to see any parallels). But that's how I see it now.
from the last ep i would think Sugata is now Sam, because he has to betray the woman he loves to move the ship to leave the island, so it would make sense because Sugata has most likely now turned on Wako and Takuto to join the Glittering Crux, also because he always wanted to leave the island, i still don't get fish girl's stories, but there is obviously a tie in with the actual story of everyone
Old 2010-11-15, 23:19   Link #1024
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I wonder if the story is less literal than about symbolism of the situations. Sugata awakening could be similar to the ship. They got what they wanted (Sugata awake), but the price seems to be exceedingly high. Sharing of their pasts in the previous episode (a secret moment that strengthened the bond between Takuto and Wako). Can find parts that could apply to either side. Could also be foreshadowing for what'll happen. Really at some point I think I get it and later I'm not sure about the story. Will just have to think about it more.
Old 2010-11-16, 02:14   Link #1025
Jarmel

I think it's foreshadowing in that Takuto is going to have to choose between Wako and a dream of his(probably seeing his dad). Sugata in this case will probably commit suicide as he's about to hurt Wako (they brought up the knife and so they have to use it at one point) and thus going to sleep leaving everything to Takuto who doesn't want it.

Who wants to make bets I'm way off and Sugata is the one who breaks all the seals?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 03:13   Link #1026
faythz
I.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Speaking of...who is who in the story? Is Sugata or Takuto Sam? Or does she make no sense in comparison to the story?
i think Sam is Sugata, he can't leave island because of his king cybody and restricted from leaving the island. so if Sugata kill all the people in the island (his beloved one included) than he can leave the island.

for king's Role still can't decide who is he
and for Takuto i think , he still didn't appear yet in fish story so far
faythz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 04:47   Link #1027
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Sam is Head. Sam is also Takuto. The story is not a single event, but a continuous loop. Head is waiting to see if Takuto can break that loop.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 12:30   Link #1028
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

So many great interpretations and theories. I think the role of Sam switched between Sugata and Takuto.

If anyone finds a blog with a detailed analysis, or something, do link it.
Old 2010-11-16, 16:11   Link #1029
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

You know its very possible that Head himself is Takuto's father? Duckroll pointed out something good that Sam could be two people and Takuto is either a alternate metaphor or a red herring.

Lets look at a few things the first being the referencing of the story of Star Driver to the story of the Little Prince.
  • The King Obviously Sugata
  • Conceited Man Banishing Age & Head - Always in his own world and has the admiration of the Crux Brigade
  • Drunkard Borgainvillea & Ivrogne (her name literally means drunkard)
  • Little Prince Obviously Takuto
  • Lamplighter Filament & Scarlet Kiss - "The glow in the light of hope is us at Filament" though other than that quote it seems loose
  • Businessman Adult Bank & President - Quite obvious, Mrs. Watanabe believes she owns everything.
  • Geographer Science Division & Professor Green - Actually in a way describes her Bishounen complex.

Mainly going to focus on Head here.

First thing to note is the name 'Banishing Age' sounds abit like immortality doesn't it? With that out of the way lets move onto the painting by Takuto's father way back from episode 1 it was watermark 'R' with a lone single girl overlooking an ocean. Of most important note is Head's name being Reiji Miyabi so he fits this criteria first but there is more.

If we first assume Head maybe killed his love in order to fly into the galaxy the girl in the painting maybe and was also the one who caused the death of the last King making himself the leader. It could be that Head and Takuto are a juxtapose of this earlier quote assuming they took two different paths.
Quote:
“But did Sam love the girl he was with or the brilliant galaxy around him?”
Something else of interest is that marks can apparently be inherited through families such as with Sugata and Wako. Now theres nothing been said yet to say you can't inherit TWO marks and it may very well be that Head simply forfeited one of his marks. If we go back to Fish Girl's story it may be that if Head was Sam he qualified to inherit several marks in reference to his choice to sail or be king.

We should also note the interesting relationship between Head/Takuto's marks following the hebrew alphabet, Resh = Head/Taw = Seal.

Taw when paired up with Mem and Aleph makes up 'Truth' which corresponds to Takuto's "Break the mask of lies" quote. Truth is all emcompassing and lies are narrow and deceiving perhaps Head by being the conceited man he is deceiving himself. Res when paired up with Shin and Kuf makes up 'Lie', it may be that quote referred to him directly.

There is also the fact Wako's asked quite bluntly how long Takuto had his mark, for about a year. It maybe that to inherit the mark the last owner has to have died or forfeited the mark, in this case since his grandfather was the last and maybe died. His father could've forfeited it and it'd be the same thing as dying and Wako's grandmother may have known this. Its been made clear before Sugata could've forfeited his mark should he have wished.
Old 2010-11-16, 23:59   Link #1030
Sanger Zonvolt
Sword That Cleaves Evil

Hoping Takuto loses against Sugata, he needs to be humbled a bit.

At this point he is feeling much too powerful, barely struggling if at all in his victories.
Old 2010-11-17, 04:15   Link #1031
Lumir

And so the love triangle has reached the point where its 1 or the other. Im betting by the looks of the next ep sugata is going to cut ties with wako and our galactic pretty boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanger Zonvolt View Post

At this point he is feeling much too powerful, barely struggling if at all in his victories.
Im almost 100% sure he will, or something else that leaves the battle undecided will happen. Either way it wont be in anyway humbling for takuto IMO. More so it will be a plot thickener. He has struggled, he would have had a seriously hard time with that girl that could read all his movements if not for her "checking him out" scene. Do try and remeber he is a stage 2 cybody, while the others could be lesser stages.
Old 2010-11-17, 06:02   Link #1032
Sanger Zonvolt
Sword That Cleaves Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
Im almost 100% sure he will, or something else that leaves the battle undecided will happen. Either way it wont be in anyway humbling for takuto IMO. More so it will be a plot thickener.
He needs to doubt himself some, and not just about his relationship with Wako, but in how he is going to take down Glittering Crux or Sugata.

Right now he is a stagnant invincible hero, and I don't want to see a character who never develops.

Quote:
He has struggled, he would have had a seriously hard time with that girl that could read all his movements if not for her "checking him out" scene.
That's not struggling, as soon as it looked like he might have to use some form of strategy, comedy relieve just gave him the victory, he hasn't had to work for a single win.

Nor has Tauburn been damaged at all.
Old 2010-11-17, 09:52   Link #1033
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Well, I was afraid they were going to go in this direction though maybe it was obvious they were. I don't know why, but I've generally disliked the whole "friend turns evil" plot very much.

Of course, not sure how much is brainwashing, though I wouldn't be surprised if Sugata's now just not hiding any resentment he feels about his position or something.

Well, I'd guess that Sugata will be the one to beat Takuto and take control of the Crux, though I suppose he'll just need to beat him up physically since he shouldn't be able to use his Cybody still. He may indeed be the one who ends up breaking all the seals since in a way that would allow him to get off the island.

Well, since Sugata's now an antagonist I wonder if any of the Crux might join with the Takuto and the others, though that doesn't seem likely at all since pretty much everyone there seems to be a selfish jerk. While I do hope Takuto actually start losing a bit so as to facilitate more character development, I really do hope to see him completely demolish a few particular members or at least see someone else do it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 11:47   Link #1034
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanger Zonvolt View Post

Huh? He struggles in all of his battle...then makes it a complete victory. It's shonen-style!
Old 2010-11-17, 12:25   Link #1035
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm surprised no one's posted this.

Spoiler for Official illustration featuring new characters:
Old 2010-11-17, 12:28   Link #1036
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was gonna post it, though thought about waiting until those characters in the image appeared.
Old 2010-11-17, 12:32   Link #1037
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I think we'll start seeing him get knocked around more like with Sugata as well as others who have marks. Of course, if he loses then they break the seal on Wako. Then again, it's hard to believe that isn't going to happen at some point. After that I suppose it would be protecting the other maidens and probably failing there as well until they succeed completely in their goal.

A little curious who the final boss will be though I suppose it's way too early to speculate on that. Sugata certainly has the potential, what with having the King of Cybodies and all. Next episode could contribute to that happening depending on how things go.

If Sugata stays on the Crux's side though, it's going to be weird for them at school.

And yeah, Sugata looks quite sinister in that pic.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2010-11-17, 12:48   Link #1038
Aurelia aurita
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Spoiler for Official illustration featuring new characters:
Spoiler:
Aurelia aurita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-17, 12:50   Link #1039
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelia aurita View Post
Spoiler:
Well, that's a rather interesting dynamic.

Old 2010-11-17, 17:53   Link #1040
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, fabulous, shonen