AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-06-25, 18:06   Link #2001
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I don't see that ever happening, but if Kagami did leave... I imagine Kona would miss having someone to mess with. I think she'd be OK because she's so used to having no RL friends, but I just can't see how anyone could really stand to lose a friend like Kagami.
I think Kona would just shrug and spend more time doing arubaito in the cosplay cafe and spend more time online saving the world with nanako-sensei.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:18   Link #2002
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Oh I don't mean to brag but describing my wife will bring much hatred from the most of Otaku-dom. Let's start with the Tsun Tsun part: she's not a violent tsundere, but more a serious type like Kagami. She's very serious about the important things in life, like family, trust, love, honor, etc. She can get very passionate about defending the weak, and she always put others in front of herself. As for the dere-dere part, she''ll melt in presence of cute children or animal, she'll play with babies for hours. She's shy and grateful when you do something nice for her, and she has this precious tsundere blush. When she's in a dere mood there's really no one else you want to spend time with.

And the best part? It's when you shower a tsundere with love and she does this little cute display of joy which you know she will never show anyone else. That's like gold to me. Oh, on top of it, she looked like an anime character with jet black, shoulder length hair, and huge expressive eyes. She did her impression of Kona's "Timotei" moment yesterday and oh man, I was so overjoyed I almost cried. And she now says goodbye to me every morning with a "bye-mi". Yeah you can start your hating now.
lol your wife should see this... probably will bring a smile to her face
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:50   Link #2003
robertness

The key moment in the quartet's formation has to be Konata and Tsukasa's encounter with the hapless foreigner before the start of the school year. (Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...") It seems to me that Kagami started hanging out with Konata to protect Tsukasa from the strange otaku girl. It's also interesting that Kagami chose to transfer to Nanako's home room to spend more time with Tsukasa and Konata.

Still don't know why the others hang out with Miyuki. Miyuki's rich family probably intimidates guys more than any other factor.

Last edited by robertness; 2007-06-25 at 21:51. Reason: Can't use "hapless" twice in one paragraph...
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:09   Link #2004
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertness View Post
(Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...")
And of course, the geeky exchange student will say this like Yakov Smirnoff...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:15   Link #2005
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertness View Post
The key moment in the quartet's formation has to be Konata and Tsukasa's encounter with the hapless foreigner before the start of the school year. (Which, to digress a moment, always makes me think of some geeky exchange student lying beaten on the pavement and muttering, "Man, I love this country...") It seems to me that Kagami started hanging out with Konata to protect Tsukasa from the strange otaku girl. It's also interesting that Kagami chose to transfer to Nanako's home room to spend more time with Tsukasa and Konata.

Still don't know why the others hang out with Miyuki. Miyuki's rich family probably intimidates guys more than any other factor.
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

I really think that's overthinking things, though.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:54   Link #2006
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Tsunderes have the best personality IMHO... They're caring, loyal, self-sufficient, and loving without melodrama. A tsundere as a friend is a friend forever. I love trunderes so much I went out looking for one and married her. Normally guys are scared of tsunderes but they're really too dumb to know what they're missing. They all go for the cute, dumb type they can easily bed. What a shame.
I have a tsundere as a younger cousin, and many of my female friends in my schooling days also display the tsundere aesthetic as well. So what I can say about them is....yeah, they're amongst the most fun people to be around, but they're also stressful as hell. I personally haven't got the stamina to be around them 24/7, but they're fine in regulated doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
According to notes in the first few chapters of the comic, Kagami got to know Konata through Tsukasa (who herself got to know Konata thanks to her... tolerance as a kind person). The girls know Miyuki because she and Kagami are friends, since they're both class representatives in their first year.

One thing that I don't think is made too apparent, but is clear if you pay attention, is that the girls are really just getting to know each other in the early stories. I'm guessing those four are all just types that tend to flock together since they don't naturally mesh with any other particular groups (since Konata's an otaku, Tsukasa's nice-but-slow, Kagami is, uh, herself, and Miyuki is too smart and refined for most people's tastes), or perhaps they just formed a slight bond being the first "group" they encountered in their new school.

Personally, I'm questioning Miyuki's presence in the group; she just doesn't give me the feel of being actually "part of the group", and rather just a bit more involved with them than the regular guy in the classroom. Kinda like, to give an example, maybe Tsuruya-san in relation to the SOS-dan; almost part of the group, but not quite, perhaps of her own volition. Tsukasa too seems to be on the fringe; if not for Kagami, I don't think she'll stick around with Kona-chan as long as she has. She's a born follower, after all, and Kona-chan isn't exactly leadership material.

The "real clique", as I see it, is Kona-chan and Kagami-sama. Mostly because Kagami finds Kona so darned interesting, if you get what I mean.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 23:07   Link #2007
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Aye... this is their first year at high school and they don't know much about each other. At the time of episode 12 anime, they've known each other since April (school year beginning) and now its been about 9 months.
Old 2007-06-25, 23:33   Link #2008
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... this is their first year at high school and they don't know much about each other. At the time of episode 12 anime, they've known each other since April (school year beginning) and now its been about 9 months.
Some of Konata's crazier comments really seemed to define the early strips as "getting to know one another" moments, but are placed later in the anime, where they just seem accentuate how weird Konata is.

I'm curious to see if, in doing so, the anime changed the "flow" or dynamics of the character relationships or portrayals, or if the manga just continued in exactly the same manner. Since I don't have the originals or the time to curl up with a kanji dictionary even if I did, I'm waiting on the scanlations to be able to find out.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 23:33   Link #2009
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:

well that helps out a lot thanks for the info
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 03:34   Link #2010
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...pecial-edition

Not too surprised to see this, Lucky Star seems to have captured all of the Otaku's hearts since Haruhi was introduced last year...
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 07:59   Link #2011
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

will find myself a wife who can do the timotei thing and says bye-mi
Old 2007-06-27, 15:38   Link #2012
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quick Fun Test:

View Katsukabe Kyoei HS from live.com:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&cid=73F11F...!112&encType=1

Can you guys see it? I'll add more points of Lucky Star Interest later. Live.com has much better Japan support than google earth so that's why I was looking for it there. Boy it took me a while... if you know how difficult to find a place in Japan you'll understand...

Note: click on "Arial" to view the actual sat photo of the school and the sports fields where the Sports Festival is held.

EDIT: no wonder they'd show Konata dancing in a rice patty... the school is surrounded by rice patties. It's really on the outskirt of a small-ish city. They have to walk a lot to get to school from clostest JR stations.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-06-27 at 15:51.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 12:26   Link #2013
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:

Pretty much what I wanted to say. A chance meeting triggered by beating up a hapless "gaijin" (poor guy, lol) who was only asking Tsukasa-chan for direction was the link Kona-chan needed to begin her friendship with the other three.

Mostly the Hiiragi sisters, as you've said it, Kagami only became acquainted with Miyuki only because they're class reps of their respective classes, and that's reflected in the amount of screen time Miyuki has compared to the other three girls.

Halfway through the anime so far and only three other adult characters (Kona's dad, Nanako-sensei and Yui-nee) have any significant screentime apart from the four main girls. (Kagami-sama's classmates Misao and Ayano only have a few seconds so far. )

Once Yui-nee's little sister Yutaka enrolls in their school along with Miyuki's sister Minami would things become exciting.

Another interesting trivia to talk about: Browsing through Lucky Star's Japanese wikipedia entry reveals that Lucky Star has an insanely high proportion of left-handed characters, while right-handed characters are reduced to a minority. (Kona-chan and her dad are both ambidextrous. )

As a left-hander, sometimes out of boredom, I would always try to seek out fellow lefties, whether in a classroom or a restaurants, usually I would find nothing, chances of seeing so many lefties in the same room are almost nil. So I envy Kona-chan and her group. I have a feeling Yoshimizu Kagami himself is a leftie as well, and is either unconsciously drawing everyone as lefties, or trying to fulfill a wish to live amongst many fellow lefties.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 13:13   Link #2014
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Another interesting trivia to talk about: Browsing through Lucky Star's Japanese wikipedia entry reveals that Lucky Star has an insanely high proportion of left-handed characters, while right-handed characters are reduced to a minority. (Kona-chan and her dad are both ambidextrous. )

As a left-hander, sometimes out of boredom, I would always try to seek out fellow lefties, whether in a classroom or a restaurants, usually I would find nothing, chances of seeing so many lefties in the same room are almost nil. So I envy Kona-chan and her group. I have a feeling Yoshimizu Kagami himself is a leftie as well, and is either unconsciously drawing everyone as lefties, or trying to fulfill a wish to live amongst many fellow lefties.
Back in the old times in Asia (well...I speak for the Chinese), left-handedness is very much frowned upon, and parents would force their children to adopt the right hand as their dominant hand. My uncle was born a leftie, and my grandmother beat him into using his right hand. He is now practically ambidextrous.

Modern society's not that conservative anymore, thankfully.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 14:24   Link #2015
macbrown
Captain Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Back in the old times in Asia (well...I speak for the Chinese), left-handedness is very much frowned upon, and parents would force their children to adopt the right hand as their dominant hand. My uncle was born a leftie, and my grandmother beat him into using his right hand. He is now practically ambidextrous.

Modern society's not that conservative anymore, thankfully.

This reminds me of Elbonia.

I wonder though,why exactly IS that? What reason did they have for hating on the lefties?
macbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 20:24   Link #2016
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I remember someone saying something about evil or satan.
Left handed were cursed/possesed or something.
My mother had to write using her right hande even if she was left-handed.
She was in a school with nuns and such... Because of shoujo-ai stories this seems kind of strange, i hope she didn't have anyone chasing afeter her, hum maybe i think too much...

I think it's not the place to ask this but...
In the translation of the OP of the a.f.k. release there is that Q.E.D. that appears at the end of the cheerleaders segment.
what does Q.E.D. means? I just don't know!

Last edited by Yogo_Pogo; 2007-06-29 at 20:32. Reason: my english sucks... now, the one with good english may you throw the first rock
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 20:38   Link #2017
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo View Post
In the translation of the OP of the a.f.k. release there is that Q.E.D. that appears at the end of the s segment.
The Japanese word used is 結論, which means 'conclusion,' so I would imagine that's what it means.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 20:46   Link #2018
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogo_Pogo View Post
In the translation of the OP of the a.f.k. release there is that Q.E.D. that appears at the end of the cheerleaders segment.
You know, I hate to admit, I always wondered about that one too, but Wikipedia to the rescue. Just like the "ketsuron" in the Japanese, it's basically saying the previous sentence was the proof for the one before or the conclusion of the thought.

What I had really wanted to know was why the romaji for what sounded like "kawaii" ended up as "KYA? WA! IIv", but I see now that that's a transcript straight from the lyric sheet too (キャ? ワ! イイv). What a strange song!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 21:51   Link #2019
robertness

Oh, never mind... I should have looked at the wiki link first.... Slept too long today...

Mods please delete this.

Last edited by robertness; 2007-06-29 at 21:54. Reason: Redundant
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 22:12   Link #2020
Anonymous Coward
¥€$!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You know, I hate to admit, I always wondered about that one too, but Wikipedia to the rescue. Just like the "ketsuron" in the Japanese, it's basically saying the previous sentence was the proof for the one before or the conclusion of the thought.
Ahhh thanks! I was also kinda' wondering what Q.E.D. meant, I had just written it off as an Americanism and left it at that.
Very strange for me not to have checked Wikipedia tho (it's usually my first port of call on such matters )
Anonymous Coward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen