Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-29, 16:25   Link #201
shinobiknight0
I'm a Senior Member!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
as much as I like this sig, and the render as well (which looks turned upside down in yours?), I guess I have a hard time connecting the mood of your piece with the actual theme. Technically, Yuki is an awesome fighter, but I don't really see that in the signature.
I thought it would seem that way, since she only fought(sort of) once in the anime, and it was only for two or three minutes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'd have to agree with that. I think the styling is really neat (and I'd love to know how you did it and planned it out - it looks perfect) but it doesn't seem like a fighting type of image. I don't know the character, so that may contribute to the feelings it evoked in me.
It was pretty much throwing the render in and trying to work around and on top of it. I meant for there to be a weapon in it, but I guess I didn't show it clearly.
It was the large needle type thing that Asakura stabbed her with(and a few of them), I guess I should make that a little more pronounced by editing the render to make it look like it really went through her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
Your current sig would be better.
That would make it feel like I was cheating since I made my current sig a while ago before this competition.

Thanks for the comments guys(I read all of them). Hopefully that criticism will help me improve my sig.
Old 2008-02-29, 16:59   Link #202
Endrance
~Rock ☆~
*Graphic Designer

Attempt number 3 of my sig making spree. It feels like there is something missing though...i just can't put my finger on it....oh well back to my never-ending work
Old 2008-02-29, 17:12   Link #203
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endrance View Post

Quote:

Attempt number 3 of my sig making spree. It feels like there is something missing though...i just can't put my finger on it....oh well back to my never-ending work
I'm quoting your old images as well to show a direct comparison. In my opinion, the colors of the first two didn't come out well. Additionally, the image quality seems a bit low, which may have contributed to my opinion of the colors. The colors of the background seem to clash and are a slight eyesore, while the character image looks a bit grainy. You're using JPEG as the file format, so either your base images were of poor quality or something bad happened in the process (perhaps you resized down and then resized back up, for example?).

Compare that with the third. The colors of the background suddenly look better - they're combining well and contributing more to the image. I also prefer the way you have the character there, although the image quality seems to be suffering a little (particularly noticable along the chain). You may want to blur some of the edges a bit more before applying the outer glow effect (if you did). Blurring is a tricky business, and I can't offer any particularly good tips on technique. Just be careful that you don't warp the silhouette when blurring - I usually only run the blur over an edge once, maybe twice if it still looks a bit ragged.

The tranparent face of unmasked Rider didn't stand out to me at all when I initially glanced over the image. I don't know that it contributes anything to the picture, especially with the chain there. If you want to keep both, perhaps flip and move either the chain or the face to the other side of the picture. If you want to keep the face, look on the lower right - you can see some of the jagged cutting that I mentioned. Using the blur tool you should be able to fix that quite easily

Keep up the good work, you're showing a lot of improvement! I don't know where your image sources are coming from (and in my experience, that's an artist's best-kept secret) but if you're having trouble finding high-quality Rider images, I may be able to help you out. Reply back or PM me if you're interested.
Old 2008-02-29, 17:36   Link #204
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Awesome. Chaotic? Yes. That's what makes it awesome. It'a all about the badass attitude. The other sigs are nice, but this one is the first sig that's made me think "she'll kick your ass". Great work.
Thanks! The first thing I thought of with this theme is that I wanted something with "combat" in it. I saw this render and just had to try and make something with it. I'm glad someone likes it.

Quote:
I like the text, except that as I mentioned to KasumiGirl the punctuation bugs me. The placement, font choice, and overall style are rather appealing, but the periods and the comma (it may just be a period that's mating with the background) stand out to me. I think it'd be an improvement to just have the words there.
One of the things I struggled with when doing the text was the punctuation. The periods seemed to work to add emphasis to the words, kind of like a movie trailer showing you one word at a time. But, I made a version without them just to see:

Dunno. It's still kind of rough.
Old 2008-02-29, 18:10   Link #205
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
One of the things I struggled with when doing the text was the punctuation. The periods seemed to work to add emphasis to the words, kind of like a movie trailer showing you one word at a time. But, I made a version without them just to see:

I see what you meant. For me, the spacing of the words from each other conveys the same effect, though. I get a similar feeling when the font size is increased with each following word (if the words are all near each other). I prefer it without the punctuation - I guess when I see the "No." then I'm sort of like "huh? No what? Stop reading?" Might just be me, it sounds weird when I think about it.

Did I mention it before that your signature so far is really the only one that conveys a sense of "fierce"? I'm sort of surprised - for combat, the vast majority of signatures (and so far, my own) are pretty laid back. Yours is the only one that feels fighty.
Old 2008-02-29, 19:40   Link #206
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I see what you meant. For me, the spacing of the words from each other conveys the same effect, though. I get a similar feeling when the font size is increased with each following word (if the words are all near each other). I prefer it without the punctuation - I guess when I see the "No." then I'm sort of like "huh? No what? Stop reading?" Might just be me, it sounds weird when I think about it.

Did I mention it before that your signature so far is really the only one that conveys a sense of "fierce"? I'm sort of surprised - for combat, the vast majority of signatures (and so far, my own) are pretty laid back. Yours is the only one that feels fighty.
Nah, I get what you're saying. It's different when you look at your own sig because you already know how it's supposed to go, but when someone else sees it they aren't going to see the same thing you do.

The only other variation I could think of was "No... Holds... Barred." Using the ellipses (without the parentheses) might have the same pause effect of the periods and lead the viewers eyes across the image.

You didn't mention it before, but Speci did. The idea seemed natural to me, but renders can be difficult to find with a theme like this so it's understandable. You're more likely to find an image of a female posing with a weapon than you are to find one in a fighting stance or in actual combat.
Old 2008-02-29, 19:54   Link #207
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Mass critisism warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo-Sora View Post
Here's my try for this month ^^

Comments will be helpful ^^
Very nice. Colors are nice, effects are fine. Text could use work and the lighting could be less bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post

and everyone prefers???
First one I think is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
Eeep! A sudden surge of other Riders, bleh. =P

I made a more dramatic update to my entry this time:

Text doesn't quite fit into this one...and the white border isn't very distinguishable from the beige forum background.
Some of the effects are really nice but the purple soft brushes just kill it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Very chaotic IMO..

Not that i can do any better with this one ._.

Fighting over focus too much >.<

Still.. thought? bash? possible to salvage? anything?

I'm so gonna whore that lightning effect for the next one >.<
The text is kind of hard to read and the depth is really screwy because of the second image. IMO having two of the same images right next to each other doesn't add to the sig. I think you should just stick to using one clear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicaLideaL View Post

This is the current work ... If i got the time i will edit it .
The B&W isn't very appealing and the position of the render could be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post

^ Editing my entry......
The color scheme could be better. Some parts of the sig is really pixely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
+ 1 for entry

Probably my final version of this unless some other render catches my eye ^^
Nice flow and c4d use. Backround needs work.
Old 2008-02-29, 20:24   Link #208
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

I worked a bit more on my signature. Here's the updated version.

Opinions and criticisms welcomed
Old 2008-02-29, 20:44   Link #209
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
^ I like it alot. The font is like full of love. Everyones entries look awsome

Hey guys, which one you think looks better:

This one:

or this one:

I don't know what to pick though but I know I'm still going to use the render.
Old 2008-02-29, 20:51   Link #210
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter_iMADNESS View Post
I worked a bit more on my signature. Here's the updated version.
Spoiler for image:

Opinions and criticisms welcomed
It's generally pretty nice, the white part inside the border and the white lighting-like brushes bothered me though. They just seems out of places. But dark saber captured the theme very well

Decision time!

Spoiler for Ver.1:

or

Spoiler for Ver.2 Changed font size, image size, and added minor depth (I read tutorial for that! O_O):

EDIT: @ konstgirl Mind me but I don't see the difference other than the file size O_O

See, this is why I like competitions like this, you get to experience with new things and try to learn something new from the experienced, normally I would just be satisfied with my poor skills ^_^
Old 2008-02-29, 20:56   Link #211
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
^One is a tiny bit lighter than the other one. Lool at it really closely

Oh yeah I think you should go with the second one.
Old 2008-02-29, 20:57   Link #212
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
Spoiler for Ver.2 Changed font size, image size, and added minor depth (I read tutorial for that! O_O):
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to work on that. And I prefer your second version. The depth makes a big difference and the text isn't distracting like the first version.
Old 2008-02-29, 21:51   Link #213
Bakakami

My first attempt but didn't fit the action mode:

So changed to this:

It's really hard to find good action poses of Balsa...
Old 2008-02-29, 22:05   Link #214
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I like the text, except that as I mentioned to KasumiGirl the punctuation bugs me. The placement, font choice, and overall style are rather appealing, but the periods and the comma (it may just be a period that's mating with the background) stand out to me. I think it'd be an improvement to just have the words there.

For short quotes or phrases, I'd normally leave end punctuation off as well. I think that my current signature (which I'll probably have up forever as my regular signature, since I can't seem to make anything that makes me feel OK with taking it down) is the only one where I've used full punctuation, and in this case the text is derived from a Buddhist text or story and is composed of three sentences. I'm just mentioning that so that I don't seem like a hypocrite, telling everyone to remove commas and periods from their works when I'm running around with a signature that has a few in it ;P
Actually, the punctuation is very strong .. It emphasized the tone of it.. Try to imagine the text is animated and each text to come out one at a time with noticeable pause and no tween inbetween, then compare it with 1 straight text with no punctuation and no animation. It dont carry the same tone.

Quote:
My only complaint with the original version (which is in your current signature) was that it was too hard to make out the details of the characters, as they were too small. I did take note of the size of your signature so I know it can't be helped much This second one that you've posted remedies that somewhat - it's still small, but it feels like we can see details now. I like the background render a lot and the lightning effects are pretty cool. The only negative (aside from dimensional size) with the second version is that the text has become slightly harder to read now that there are characters behind it. Specifically, the "Ikkitousen" (which was already slightly difficult to see - I didn't notice it until I began close analysis) is now very difficult to make out. The "Dragon Destiny" is still easy to see, although the beauty of the two D's is somewhat harder to appreciate with the characters behind it. If you move the text I'm not sure whether it'd make the picture unbalanced or not. Perhaps making the text more apparent would be a better fix? (increase the opacity a bit, or use a stronger outline perhaps - you probably have more tricks for this than I do)
Thank you, I'll see if there's a noticeable different between lowering the visibility of the left render and more opacity on the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
+ 1 for entry

Probably my final version of this unless some other render catches my eye ^^
Foul play! I'm soo gona use ur waifu as revenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post

^ Editing my entry......
erm.. Crop? You did an even better job before IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobiknight0 View Post
That would make it feel like I was cheating since I made my current sig a while ago before this competition.

Thanks for the comments guys(I read all of them). Hopefully that criticism will help me improve my sig.
When you have to explain something.. then its already fail to convey the message, no?

Also, if you made the current one you using, its not cheating.

Quote:

Lose the ghost rider in the BG.. And either blur the chain hard.. or emphasized it.

Quote:
Thanks! The first thing I thought of with this theme is that I wanted something with "combat" in it. I saw this render and just had to try and make something with it. I'm glad someone likes it.

Nope.. 1st version carry the tone better.. See above.

Quote:
Nah, I get what you're saying. It's different when you look at your own sig because you already know how it's supposed to go, but when someone else sees it they aren't going to see the same thing you do.

The only other variation I could think of was "No... Holds... Barred." Using the ellipses (without the parentheses) might have the same pause effect of the periods and lead the viewers eyes across the image.

You didn't mention it before, but Speci did. The idea seemed natural to me, but renders can be difficult to find with a theme like this so it's understandable. You're more likely to find an image of a female posing with a weapon than you are to find one in a fighting stance or in actual combat.
Its like the animation effect I say above.. but now with tween .. it didnt carry enough emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
The text is kind of hard to read and the depth is really screwy because of the second image. IMO having two of the same images right next to each other doesn't add to the sig. I think you should just stick to using one clear one.
I agree as well.. we'll see if I can salvage this or else.. I need to find more sacrificial lamb to sacrifice ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post

#2.. would be good if you lower the text opac too a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post

Hey guys, which one you think looks better:

This one:

or this one:

I don't know what to pick though but I know I'm still going to use the render.
Like Cicido said.. i dont see any difference either >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakakami View Post
My first attempt but didn't fit the action mode:

So changed to this:

It's really hard to find good action poses of Balsa...
Balsaoneesama!
2nd is much better.. but to be honest.. there's nothing splendid to cheer for it either ._.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-02-29, 22:53   Link #215
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai

I really this one ^^, simple and overall great looking.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-03-01, 00:16   Link #216
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Actually, the punctuation is very strong .. It emphasized the tone of it.. Try to imagine the text is animated and each text to come out one at a time with noticeable pause and no tween inbetween, then compare it with 1 straight text with no punctuation and no animation. It dont carry the same tone.
I guess it depends on how you look over the signature. It varies for me; if there are words, I think I tend to get drawn to the first word or so, and then scan the image in order of the words (if they're spread out). In the case of Solace's signature, I start with the "No" and then I experience a pause as my eyes sweep across the image to the "Holds." Since there's a figure between the two words, my eyes rest there a bit longer. If the three words were right next to each other, I'd read it simply as "no holds barred." The spacing creates that pause for me (so I read it as no... holds... barred), and for me the emphasis is generated by the font that he chose (which makes it come out to be as NO... HOLDS... BARRED).

But then I'm sensitive about fonts. I have ~2000 fonts on my system and before this contest I probably spent about half of the time on any given signature changing the fonts and positioning of the text. To me, the appearence of the text plays a very large role in the "voice" that it speaks with. Maybe that's unusual, but as a result the punctuation feels like an unnecessary detail (if not an obstruction) to me. If most people feel that the punctuation positively adds to the feeling that the image conveys, I'd say that one should go ahead and use it, of course
Old 2008-03-01, 01:14   Link #217
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Its wasn't a surprise .. even godly sigmakers tend to have problems with text placement and font choices.

Its an art all by itself ^^

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-03-01, 01:58   Link #218
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Sometimes using punctation is less about being grammatically correct and more for artistic use. In this case, an English user would know the words are supposed to be read as one phrase but also see the periods and assume each word ends "hard" for emphasis. So the periods are more for decoration and making each word definitive.

In any case yeah, text is a pita. On some sigs I've spent more time making the text "just right" than I did creating everything else. Hairpulling, but fun.

Well, keeping with the idea, a version three, with spoilers for comparisons:

Spoiler for Previous versions for easy comparing:

Version 3 -

Pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words....so why is text such a pita?!
Old 2008-03-01, 02:47   Link #219
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Hmm... well I still prefer it without the punctuation, but version 3 does seem better than version 1 in my mind. It may be because the punctuation chosen (ellipses) contributes to the way I'd be reading it given the spacing, whereas the periods clash with it by making it seem more like a short stop. With that punctuation, even if the words were closer together I'd still read it the same way. But again, the way I'd read it in version 2 and version 3 is the exact same - the gaps between the words (and the fact that there's image matter in between them, as opposed to blank space) sort of does that on its own. This is really hard to explain, now I understand that situation when engineers get angry at artists when the artists start seemingly making up terms to describe things - there's no easy way of expressing it.

Yeah, I just have a thing against end punctuation when the purpose of the words is different from regular communication. But if it were something like "Don't hold back" and you had it as "Dont hold back" then I'd be whining about how you're missing the apostraphe and that's a distraction Now that I've spent a few minutes looking at them, I don't know whether I prefer version 2 or 3.

Ah well, off to bed with me. There wasn't a lot to do at work today so I've decided to leave my comfort zone of being an image cropper and looked up some Photoshop tutorials. I'm going to try out some snazzy effects with this one. Yeah!
Old 2008-03-01, 03:19   Link #220
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I think this would be the one I shall be concentrating for this contest..

edit:
Quote:
Sometimes using punctation is less about being grammatically correct and more for artistic use. In this case, an English user would know the words are supposed to be read as one phrase but also see the periods and assume each word ends "hard" for emphasis. So the periods are more for decoration and making each word definitive.

In any case yeah, text is a pita. On some sigs I've spent more time making the text "just right" than I did creating everything else. Hairpulling, but fun.

Well, keeping with the idea, a version three, with spoilers for comparisons:

Spoiler for Previous versions for easy comparing:

Version 3 -

Pictures are supposed to be worth a thousand words....so why is text such a pita?!
In summary, how I see the versions

V1. NO! HOLD! BARRED!!!

V2. no hold barred

V3 NOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOLLLLDDD BAAAARRRRRREEEED.

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Last edited by KiNA; 2008-03-01 at 03:57.
Closed Thread

Tags
sotm