AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-05-01, 11:28   Link #621
Awrya
U mad?

By taking the gun with her, most likely she's showing the senate how advanced the other world is and try to copy the technology and weapon.
Wonder what her reaction would be if she goes through scanners when returning to Alnus and the JSDF sees the gun or the gun she picked up doesn't have any bullets left.
Old 2013-05-01, 21:19   Link #622
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Of course there's the silly Japanese nationalist mindset that thinks ANY of that makes sense.
there's also this silly american notion that any kind of fiction made by other countries portraying the US making mistakes of any kind immediately means red commie or rightist.

fuck yeah america, land of the free and advanced weaponry?

seriously guys? even here?

i thought AS only had intelligent people in them. turns out there are idiots like you too, and another person.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 21:21   Link #623
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
The problem with that statement is that we KNOW that the author of Gate is a rightwing nationalist nutjob. In fact, the editors forced him to tone things down (compared to the web original), and we STILL got stuff like this.

Makes me wonder if the LN rewrite will further tone things down.
Old 2013-05-01, 21:32   Link #624
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The problem with that statement is that we KNOW that the author of Gate is a rightwing nationalist nutjob. In fact, the editors forced him to tone things down (compared to the web original), and we STILL got stuff like this.

Makes me wonder if the LN rewrite will further tone things down.
yeah we do know, so then why are the people complaining about plot points still reading it? you masochists or something?

we STILL got stuff like this because it's an integral part of the plot that the USA, china, and russia want a piece of the gate pie. it would create a plot hole if none of those countries did something about it. bozes and pina would be walking plot holes. sure the portrayal of the other countries could have been improved but it's what happened so it can't be changed.

if you damn well know what you're reading then shut the f up. i'm not saying to never voice out a criticism when you spot something wrong literature-wise, but if you're just gonna whine about how the US is not portrayed like the super power they are and nitpick then you're better off dropping this and leaving it to people who enjoy it.

its also not like last chapter. the jsdf didn't get killed because they didn't get involved, simple. the other countries went rambo and basically screwed themselves into a trap. if people can't accept that, well tough luck it's what happened. go embrace your flag and drink some patriotism juice.

Last edited by jasper222; 2013-05-01 at 21:35. Reason: this is not aimed at you myssa rei.
Old 2013-05-01, 22:14   Link #625
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper222 View Post
we STILL got stuff like this because it's an integral part of the plot that the USA, china, and russia want a piece of the gate pie. it would create a plot hole if none of those countries did something about it. bozes and pina would be walking plot holes. sure the portrayal of the other countries could have been improved but it's what happened so it can't be changed.
Except sending special forces teams to kidnap random diplomats from the gate does NOT actually get them any pieces of the gate pie. The plot hole is that them doing this doesn't make sense. If you want access to the gate, you want to negotiate the Japanese into letting you get access to it. Sending random commandos to abduct random diplomatic personal who have no power over who can access the gate doesn't accomplish anything.

It's doubly stupid with the United States. Even ignoring that the current Japanese relationship with America is such that the USA would likely be completely involved in Gate operations/research...if the United States had such powerful black mail to use against the Japanese Prime Minister, why don't they just use that blackmail to gain access to the diplomats directly? That's certainly a better plan than doing something FAR more newsworthy than any political corruption scandal.

USA President: BWAHAHAHA! Foolish Japanese PM! I have black mail on you! Now stop attack my special forces soldiers in your country or I'll release it!
Japanese PM: You know, how many people will pay attention to a scandal involving my party after I announce to the world that I've captured US special forces soldiers operating in Japan? I think that'd be a rather nice distraction.
USA President: uhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
if people can't accept that, well tough luck it's what happened. go embrace your flag and drink some patriotism juice.
I find that highly amusing since the only person who really seems high off patriotism juice is the author.

I mean, the 101 of nationalistic propaganda is to turn nations you dislike into hyper aggressive, but ultimately ineffectual straw enemies.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 05:10   Link #626
jasper222

Quote:
Except sending special forces teams to kidnap random diplomats from the gate does NOT actually get them any pieces of the gate pie. The plot hole is that them doing this doesn't make sense. If you want access to the gate, you want to negotiate the Japanese into letting you get access to it. Sending random commandos to abduct random diplomatic personal who have no power over who can access the gate doesn't accomplish anything.

It's doubly stupid with the United States. Even ignoring that the current Japanese relationship with America is such that the USA would likely be completely involved in Gate operations/research...if the United States had such powerful black mail to use against the Japanese Prime Minister, why don't they just use that blackmail to gain access to the diplomats directly? That's certainly a better plan than doing something FAR more newsworthy than any political corruption scandal.
i gotcha loud and clear, i even think russia should have had some plan B after getting slaughtered by rori, but since this is fiction, i like to treat gate like an alternate reality, where the presidents of US, china, and russia are idiots. it's not that hard. it's freaking fiction. it's like going to a comedy bar if you're black, then getting offended when the comedian targets your ethnicity. just chill bro, it ain't aimed at you, just a joke, treat it as such.

arabs are pictured as terrorists half the time even in the real world. do i get offended? a little bit, but it doesn't run my whole show. i'm half arab i should know.

if you get offended reading this manga then stop. you're worse than trolls who read naruto just for the sake of insulting it, even if naruto deserves it so much.

Quote:
I find that highly amusing since the only person who really seems high off patriotism juice is the author.

I mean, the 101 of nationalistic propaganda is to turn nations you dislike into hyper aggressive, but ultimately ineffectual straw enemies.
look, rightist or not it's only propaganda if the government approved it or had a hand in creating it. i doubt the prime minister commissioned the author to write incompetent world powers into his novel. so no, it's not propaganda.

also, it may be just me, that when people complain and bring out their flags of nationalism in this manga it's irritating. it's bad enough to see great countries being reduced to idiocy in the manga, why make that issue worse by bringing out your own brand of patriotism? one is enough, no need for more. just argue about how bad the art is or something, no need to complain about how "US wouldn't act like that, they'd bring out drones and nuke Japan for all it's worth!"
Old 2013-05-02, 06:21   Link #627
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
arabs are pictured as terrorists half the time even in the real world. do i get offended? a little bit, but it doesn't run my whole show. i'm half arab i should know.
To be fair, terrorism originated from allot of Arabic countries is somewhat of a contemporary issue. Is it over-hyped in our media? Definitely. But it's not like filmmakers are making stuff up out of nothing.

Quote:
if you get offended reading this manga then stop. you're worse than trolls who read naruto just for the sake of insulting it, even if naruto deserves it so much.
Who said I was offended by it? I just think it's stupid. And you can't defend it by saying it's supposed to be some kind of parody/comedy, cause it's not very funny.

Quote:
also, it may be just me, that when people complain and bring out their flags of nationalism in this manga it's irritating. it's bad enough to see great countries being reduced to idiocy in the manga, why make that issue worse by bringing out your own brand of patriotism? one is enough, no need for more.
Where have I brought up my alleged nationalism in this topic? Where have I brought up anything patriotism related?

If you actually bothered to read my post you'd notice I'm complaining about the behavior of the Japanese government as well, who seemed to get totally pushed over by blackmail threats despite having the Americans caught by their balls in a bloody beartrap. That's hardly a pro American nationalist complaint, is it?
Quote:
just argue about how bad the art is or something, no need to complain about how "US wouldn't act like that, they'd bring out drones and nuke Japan for all it's worth!"
Soooooo, arguing that it wouldn't be very likely for the United States to run armed paramilitary operations to kidnap random people in Japan is tantamount to arguing that America in real life would randomly nuke Japan?

Also. There's this thing called capitalization...
Old 2013-05-02, 07:02   Link #628
jasper222

Quote:
To be fair, terrorism originated from allot of Arabic countries is somewhat of a contemporary issue. Is it over-hyped in our media? Definitely. But it's not like filmmakers are making stuff up out of nothing.
see, you can accept it. if you can do that, then you can also accept that the author of gate is a rightist who portrays other countries a step below their normal means. i think we're all intelligent enough to do that.

Quote:
Who said I was offended by it? I just think it's stupid. And you can't defend it by saying it's supposed to be some kind of parody/comedy, cause it's not very funny.
you can't defend yourself either by saying it's supposed to be something you should take seriously too much that you criticize an author's political standing. i compared it to comedy bar jokes because they don't harm you a bit. if you get offended or find it stupid like you said then it's your fault. looking at it objectively without any bias Gate has a good plot with no hanging plot elements so far. the other countries might act a little bit retarded but that's in the author's fictional world. if arabs were portrayed as nuke-toting terrorists i'd just laugh, because it's a stereotype in a manga. i wonder why people can't just do that.

Quote:
Where have I brought up my alleged nationalism in this topic? Where have I brought up anything patriotism related?

If you actually bothered to read my post you'd notice I'm complaining about the behavior of the Japanese government as well, who seemed to get totally pushed over by blackmail threats despite having the Americans caught by their balls in a bloody beartrap. That's hardly a pro American nationalist complaint, is it?
Soooooo, arguing that it wouldn't be very likely for the United States to run armed paramilitary operations to kidnap random people in Japan is tantamount to arguing that America in real life would randomly nuke Japan?
my post just wasn't aimed at your statements, i generalized a bit. it's been everywhere, this "USA STRONG MISSILE HURR" sentiment and i recognize that your statements don't contain that.

i notice that my posts end with "that". funny.
Old 2013-05-03, 06:04   Link #629
malason13
Forsaken

Found this series yesterday and it took me the whole day to read through the comments in this thread. The guy that got married to Boze sure is lucky. This type of genre that is modern against fantasy is my first time. Though I really like it.

The Beloved Occult Research Club

malason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 15:45   Link #630
zYnthethicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
also, princess, I don't think even your people can comprehend that small compact gun (can anyone ID?)
It's called Beretta Nano
zYnthethicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 08:05   Link #631
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
there's also this silly american notion that any kind of fiction made by other countries portraying the US making mistakes of any kind immediately means red commie or rightist.
pointing out tropes has nothing to do with nationalities, whether it be the "evil incompetent american" or the "gun never running out of ammo" trope.

Quote:
i thought AS only had intelligent people in them. turns out there are idiots like you too, and another person.
I wonder if you realize the irony that by making these type of personal attacks, you have turned yourself into what you accuse others of being.

Quote:
yeah we do know, so then why are the people complaining about plot points still reading it? you masochists or something?
Liking a piece of fictional work does not mean one have to be blind to its faults.

Quote:
looking at it objectively without any bias Gate has a good plot with no hanging plot elements so far.
yea no, if one wants to nitpick, there are a shit load of plot holes everywhere, it's the nature of a fictional work.

Quote:
my post just wasn't aimed at your statements, i generalized a bit. it's been everywhere, this "USA STRONG MISSILE HURR" sentiment and i recognize that your statements don't contain that.
tbh, your posts came across as a fan of who can't stand criticisms leveled at the manga. Gate isn't any more egregious than the usual when it comes to fictional military cliche/tropes (very, very few fictional works ever fully avoids them), but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to call it out when it does uses them.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 10:24   Link #632
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I continue to be amused that asking "hey, would America really need to do all this pointless stuff?" is construed as MURIKA FUCK YEAR!

People need to be better able to recognize what actual MURIKA STRONK! actually sounds like.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And more to the point. Some other people having an "MURIKA STRONK!" reaction to this story does not somehow give the story a complete pass from people questioning its real world politics.
Old 2013-05-17, 15:45   Link #633
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
I continue to be amused that asking "hey, would America really need to do all this pointless stuff?" is construed as MURIKA FUCK YEAR!
Those responses should be treated with the same credibility as people whining about all Russian portrayals used to be about KGB agents? Let's not kid ourselves, every country as their dirt, so any attempt at defense of caricature of said nation is kind of laughable.
Old 2013-05-20, 19:53   Link #634
Ddraig

Raw for chapter 24 is out.
Spoiler for ch.24:
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 14:40   Link #635
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Chapter 24 scans are out.

Spoiler for c24:
Old 2013-06-06, 18:44   Link #636
Velsy

I felt it got to "showy" in the end, with the parade and all. Kinda glad its over. The whole country leaders being idiots has been left behind I hope. Hopefully it will go back to Fantasy with Modern day.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 07:24   Link #637
zYnthethicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I felt it got to "showy" in the end, with the parade and all. Kinda glad its over. The whole country leaders being idiots has been left behind I hope. Hopefully it will go back to Fantasy with Modern day.
Yeah, the whole "hurr all other countries bad!" was getting out of hand.
zYnthethicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 10:05   Link #638
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zYnthethicz View Post
Yeah, the whole "hurr all other countries bad!" was getting out of hand.
yeah i wish the author didnt try to push it that badly, it was pretty pathetic and it degraded what was up to that point a great new manga/novel
Old 2013-06-09, 02:23   Link #639
Chirst

New cover of light novel vol 3
Spoiler for pic:
Chirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 12:56   Link #640
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I'm surprised anyone even noticed. It didn't feel any more out of place than how other countries are portrayed like in TV shows like 24. Fantasy, Sci-Fi or Real Life -- Others = Bad

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction