AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-04, 12:12   Link #161
Ch1kane

seriously at first i was quite skeptical about picking up this anime. but i really like the drawings so i ask myself why not and well it catches my attention. i really like how the story goes it would be really interesting how Claire (was it her name?) fight that demon part of her (i dont really know how to put it sorry ^^") and of cos other Claymores!
Ch1kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:13   Link #162
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Yeah. Well I guess people who are following the manga know what kind of characters and developements we'll get to see in this show (though I wonder how much they'll manage to cover within 24 episodes, if that's going to be lenght of the anime), so they're not worried nor bothered by the presentation in of Claire as a cold-hearted and apparently "flat" character, in this first episode. But atleast people who haven't read the manga and who are still interested towards this should definetely give it a couple more episodes before labeling Claire so fast.
hmm...hmm..totally accepted. I think this show needs to be given a bit more time than just being labelled as a pure action from episode 1. As for the amount they cover, they finished the first 3 chapters by altering a few things, since they almost skipped chapter 2. The overall is the same though, so the changes werent any big. At this rate it might cover 10 volumes since it is 6 chapters a volume.
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:15   Link #163
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I don't get why people like Clare, that's what I don't get. If anyone has ever seen M.D Geist that's the kind of show she seems to belong in. I've seen the unemotional lead character that opens up plot set up so much better in other shows is what I'm saying. When the set up itself falls short you have a problem. To me she holds the whole thing down from the get go by being such as dry character (basically I get the impression she isn't even surpressing any character traits and that what you see is all there is). They could have at least set it up by giving her the slightest even most discreet hint of intrigue in her character, but when they fail at that its going to be very hard to do sudden or even discreet character development for a character later on, it will seem jarring and out of place (like a complete rewrite of the character, not a revelation).

Then we go with Raki. Why in gods name is he interested in following this woman around, it doesn't make sense to me and seems like they've just decided to go with the natural progression of the young impressionable boy follows strong traveller on a journey. If you've seen Hokuto No Ken where this same thing happens though, Kenshiro is given some character development in the opening segments through dream sequences and you are shown that their is another side of his character and that the two kids can see the humanity and heroisim in him that others can't. I didn't get that with Clare all I got was "I kill demons" and then Raki was "I'm going on the journey with you" completely out of the blue.

Seriously, go watch M.D Geist where this same thing happens and see for yourself how that goes and you'll know why I'm kind of wary about the whole Claymore thing.

Basically my main issue is that they went overboard on setting up Clare as a hardlined Claymore to the point where I don't get the impression that she has surpressed her emotions and put up a dominant character trait of stoicism, but that the dominant character trait is all there is. Unless, by the next episode we have some hint, no matter how tiny or discreet at another side of Clare its going to be a rough ride.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:31   Link #164
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I don't get why people like Clare, that's what I don't get. If anyone has ever seen M.D Geist that's the kind of show she seems to belong in. I've seen the unemotional lead character that opens up plot set up so much better in other shows is what I'm saying. When the set up itself falls short you have a problem. To me she holds the whole thing down from the get go by being such as dry character (basically I get the impression she isn't even surpressing any character traits and that what you see is all there is). They could have at least set it up by giving her the slightest even most discreet hint of intrigue in her character, but when they fail at that its going to be very hard to do sudden or even discreet character development for a character later on, it will seem jarring and out of place (like a complete rewrite of the character, not a revelation).

Then we go with Raki. Why in gods name is he interested in following this woman around, it doesn't make sense to me and seems like they've just decided to go with the natural progression of the young impressionable boy follows strong traveller on a journey. If you've seen Hokuto No Ken where this same thing happens though, Kenshiro is given some character development in the opening segments through dream sequences and you are shown that their is another side of his character and that the two kids can see the humanity and heroisim in him that others can't. I didn't get that with Clare all I got was "I kill demons" and then Raki was "I'm going on the journey with you" completely out of the blue.

Seriously, go watch M.D Geist where this same thing happens and see for yourself how that goes and you'll know why I'm kind of wary about the whole Claymore thing.

Basically my main issue is that they went overboard on setting up Clare as a hardlined Claymore to the point where I don't get the impression that she has surpressed her emotions and put up a dominant character trait of stoicism, but that the dominant character trait is all there is. Unless, by the next episode we have some hint, no matter how tiny or discreet at another side of Clare its going to be a rough ride.
Well i havent seen the animes u mentioned so cant comment on that. But I think its a bit too early to pass a remark on Claymore. I dont wanna give out spoilers about her, but if its hints u r speaking about, think about the scene where Claire has a flashback about her past. Its shown very less in the anime, but it does show that there was something about her past. If even that doesnt intrigue u, well i would recommend u watch out the next 3 or 4 episodes and then decide.

As for Raki, he is definitely better looking than the manga. Maybe its the color. Plus he looks a bit matured too. Anyway, he wasnt following Claire initially. He was wandering aimlessly because he was thrown away from the village. He pursues Claire only after he is caught by the Youma in the end. Since she has saved his life twice, i think its pretty obvious that he wants to be of some help to her.
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:35   Link #165
ThoHell

This anime looks actually pretty good, or so the animation does anyways. First subbed episode out today....time to watch!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:39   Link #166
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Talk about oversubbed
Didn't know Claymore is that popular to gain so many subber but we ll see how many stick with it till the end.
Old 2007-04-04, 12:44   Link #167
Mentar
Banned

I find it more likely that the Claymore train will gain extra steam beginning with episodes 5+

That's when the story fully takes off.

Of course it's definitely not everyone's cup of coffee, and many people will watch one episode and say "yuck" and turn away - but who stays after eps 2+3 will stay till the end, I'm sure.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:48   Link #168
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

People who like Claire are people who have read the manga and know her character. I'll repeat it, Kaioh, you're assuming and throwing labels too quickly only after one episode. You are free to convince and illude yourself that Claire is the kind of character you are portraying, but that's wrong, and not because it's my opinion, but because it's a FACT, proved and portrayed by the manga throughout its volumes so far.

You can compare her to whoever character you want but so far all your speculations on her personality are totally off.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:55   Link #169
NeoSam

After Monthly Shounen Jump gets discontinued on June 6th >.< Claymore manga will be continued in Weekly Shounen Jump for a short while before it moves to the new manga magazine that Shueisha is going to launch.

Read about this here:
A Letter from Shueisha on Monthly Shonen Jump, its Serializations and A New Magazine
Old 2007-04-04, 13:04   Link #170
DangerMouse

Quote:
Yeah. Well I guess people who are following the manga know what kind of characters and developements we'll get to see in this show (though I wonder how much they'll manage to cover within 24 episodes, if that's going to be lenght of the anime), so they're not worried nor bothered by the presentation in of Claire as a cold-hearted and apparently "flat" character, in this first episode. But atleast people who haven't read the manga and who are still interested towards this should definetely give it a couple more episodes before labeling Claire so fast.
I'm also not bothered by it because "that was the intention". Not every main character has to wear their emotions on their sleeve or reveal everything to people they first meet, especially when they are not exactly just a regular person and in a dark show like this. I really think I'm going to like Claire's storyline based on the bits gleamed from the praise the manga received and Madhouse is good at this type of thing.

Eclipse was really good on the episodes of Pumpkin Scissors that I've been able to watch so far with good subs and great video quality so I hope they can do it again on Claymore.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:01   Link #171
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
(though I wonder how much they'll manage to cover within 24 episodes, if that's going to be lenght of the anime)
The length hasn't been defined get as far as I know. I hope it goes on a bit further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I don't get why people like Clare.
You'll know if you stick along long enough (probably EP 5'ish at this rate) especially when the other Claymores start popping up and the character interactions start going with Claire's past being unrevealed. There is significant character development and a goal in the series.

But at its heart, it's a good brutal fighting anime for sure tho.
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:09   Link #172
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
People who like Claire are people who have read the manga and know her character.
I've never touched the manga (though i plan to soon), and after the first episode i'm finding myself liking her a lot. Of course i can see more to come out of her in the future, but i don't think that is needed straight away to like her character.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:22   Link #173
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
People who like Claire are people who have read the manga and know her character. I'll repeat it, Kaioh, you're assuming and throwing labels too quickly only after one episode. You are free to convince and illude yourself that Claire is the kind of character you are portraying, but that's wrong, and not because it's my opinion, but because it's a FACT, proved and portrayed by the manga throughout its volumes so far.

You can compare her to whoever character you want but so far all your speculations on her personality are totally off.
Please don't confuse "facts" with "well supported opinions" ... but yes, its too early to label or diagnose characters given what has been shown so far.

Unfortunately, depending on knowledge of the manga to present the story in anime is a poor way to run a series. So far, Claire is an enigma -- and, for anyone who watches anime or television or whatever... she hasn't been given much airtime to demonstrate anything other than "flat". One could argue that's a fail of the anime so far. Personally, I'd say wait 3-5 episodes before deciding whether this anime is going to do a reasonable job of presenting what the characters are about.

Some anime fail --- just because something is my favorite manga doesn't automagically mean the anime is a win.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:26   Link #174
kauldron26
Med Student

so Eclipse will be subbing this?? Anidb says so...
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 14:26   Link #175
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Ah, no love for Clare, Kaioshin_sama?

I peeked at the wiki since I know squat about this title. Clare seemed to be a tragic one as is the lot of Claymores apparently.

Spoiler:

But why is the blood purple in some scenes and red in others?

I definitely will be following this one.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:30   Link #176
Budweineken
Crap

Red blood = Human/Claymore...

Purple is from the Yoma.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:37   Link #177
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Please don't confuse "facts" with "well supported opinions" ... but yes, its too early to label or diagnose characters given what has been shown so far.

Unfortunately, depending on knowledge of the manga to present the story in anime is a poor way to run a series. So far, Claire is an enigma -- and, for anyone who watches anime or television or whatever... she hasn't been given much airtime to demonstrate anything other than "flat". One could argue that's a fail of the anime so far. Personally, I'd say wait 3-5 episodes before deciding whether this anime is going to do a reasonable job of presenting what the characters are about.

Some anime fail --- just because something is my favorite manga doesn't automagically mean the anime is a win.
I agree with you, but lets not hope this turns out to be a bad anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Ah, no love for Clare, Kaioshin_sama?

I peeked at the wiki since I know squat about this title. Clare seemed to be a tragic one as is the lot of Claymores apparently.

Spoiler:

But why is the blood purple in some scenes and red in others?

I definitely will be following this one.
It would make sense if claymore blood was a cross between red and purple, but I guess they kept it red to show that claymores were once human.

Btw I'm sorry for throwing people off on the spelling of Clare. I thought it was Claire because when I think of that name, I think about eclair... . I guess same thing with yoma too, I think about juuni kokki when I hear it (I think the beasts were called youma don't remember). Doesn't really matter though I guess.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:40   Link #178
Budweineken
Crap

There's nothing wrong with spelling it Claire or youma... Clare and Yoma is simply how Viz spells them, nothing really wrong with either way of spelling it, as far as discussions and fansubs of this series is concerned.
Old 2007-04-04, 14:41   Link #179
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I need Teresa to hurry up and appear so i can have my share of Romi Paku love, its been to long since i've heard that beautiful voice (& no, this is not a post for people to tell me when she appears :3).
Old 2007-04-04, 15:07   Link #180
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

This is probably the only time we'll ever disagree on something in its entirety. I read the teaser in Shonen Jump USA a while back (Chapter 1 and 2 I believe) and normally the teasers have piqued my interest and made me want to see more of the manga. Gintama, Death Note, I"s, Bleach, Whistle, Prince of Tennis, D-Gray Man (Which I can't stand now actually on account of blatent plagiarism) hell even Yugioh GX had teasers that made me actively seek out more of the series or lament the lack of more chapters in the magazine. Claymore and one other one called Zombie Powder (Which got cancelled in Japan, why its even licensed for U.S release is anyones guess) are the only two, but really one, that made me wish I hadn't bothered to read the teaser. It's a pretty big shocker for me when a teaser which is supposed to make you want more, disgusts you instead and makes you feel you wasted your time. If I were a publisher giving this a screening I would probably have turned the author down based on the first two chapters, but it got picked up. First impressions are pretty important for me and Claymore was the only manga that ever left a bad impression on me. Thinking I may have missed something I went to check the shows Wiki article and that didn't help one bit, so I'm not about to go out and purchase a volume of something to see if I was wrong about where its headed.

I think its wants to be the new Hokuto No Ken, but its not anywhere near as exciting or intriguing as that series was in its opening chapters. I was offended by HnK at first too thinking it was all violence and exploding body parts until I saw Kenshiro's dream sequence and learned his backstory. Of course within the first five minutes of episode one we got a brief almost unnoticable hint that I picked up on in the prison sequence, at the fact that there was more to him than met the eye, making me watch the second episode to find out that little tidbit in the dream sequence. I wouldn't have watched that second episode if it weren't for that hint. From there it just keeps building into a pretty darn fun action series. So I don't know, maybe Claymore just has the worst opening segements for a good series I've seen in a long time (possibly since Elfen Lied).

I like strong heroines and wish to god there were more of them, but not like this. I'm not even kidding myself into considering watching until this series hits episode 5 or so though. Yet even then it'll just cut off at episode 26. Sigh.... this is probably one of the toughest calls I'll ever have to make, but I really think I just don't like Claymore in any form, I don't want to read the manga because its hideous to me as a result of the female lead (Sorry Vexx), but I also don't want to see an anime series get cut off at episode 26 (and a voice for the character might be just enough to give her one).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote