AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-27, 05:20   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only if they can extend the range of trucks and the like past 200 miles on a charge, or make charging station that can refill batteries as quickly as it takes to full up a tank of gas or desiel. I can see electric type cars being useful in cities and some general subrban areas, but they are useless for any kind of distance travel right now. No way you could go from say San Fracisco to Portland, Reno, or Los Angeles easily in a current model electric car. At least not a easily as you can in a conventional powered car or truck.
Old 2011-02-27, 07:59   Link #62
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I was actually thinking if it would be possible to line electromagnets below the bitumen when laying roads, then using the magnetic field to charge the cars as they move along it.

Then again, it would tax alot on the country's infrastructure that it will never be built.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 08:07   Link #63
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Remember, the power has to come from someplace still. It just doesn't come from the outlet...the power plant has to generate that power somehow.
Old 2011-02-27, 08:17   Link #64
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Remember, the power has to come from someplace still. It just doesn't come from the outlet...the power plant has to generate that power somehow.
Step up transformers should be able to reduce the amount of fuel consumed for each country.....and besides steam-turbine power plants are the regular type of power plants across the world - what makes the difference is the fuel it consumes to fire the turbines.

Power plant schematics may be more costly, but they are easier to change because there are less units to consider rather than cars, and that they can work with biofuels with little or no modifications. Cars, on the other hand, require a 100% burn rate of the fuel in its tank with little or no solid/liquid byproducts produced which can't be exhausted out.

It could run just like mass-rapid transits. Though this technology may leave much to be desired.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-02-27, 12:09   Link #65
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I went to the Netherlands in Europe, and was impressed with their rail system. I used it several times to easily visit places across the country without the need of a car.

But electrical energy generation is easy. Wind, solar, nuclear (and yes, even some dirty caol), can handle our needs. We'd still need oil for plastics, but we'd drastically reduce our reliance on it.

I bought a hybrid car, and it barely sips gas. I used to have to fill up even 1-2 weeks with my old car, but I only have to fill up maybe once a month now. Sometimes I can make it almost two months. I've already determined that my next car will be full electric. Way less moving parts means way less need for expensive maintenance, too.

The only remaining issue is upgrading the nations electric grid to handle this, but that is doable, too.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 12:12   Link #66
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I went to the Netherlands in Europe, and was impressed with their rail system. I used it several times to easily visit places across the country without the need of a car.

But electrical energy generation is easy. Wind, solar, nuclear (and yes, even some dirty caol), can handle our needs. We'd still need oil for plastics, but we'd drastically reduce our reliance on it.

I bought a hybrid car, and it barely sips gas. I used to have to fill up even 1-2 weeks with my old car, but I only have to fill up maybe once a month now. Sometimes I can make it almost two months. I've already determined that my next car will be full electric. Way less moving parts means way less need for expensive maintenance, too.

The only remaining issue is upgrading the nations electric grid to handle this, but that is doable, too.
There is the overhauling infrastructure cost. Even though my government recently implemented the fiber-optic installation countrywide FREE-OF-CHARGE, there are people who are complaining about the technicians going into their house and doing all sorts of noisy mass drilling.

That is the 2nd problem : the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. For this issue, it is like waiting for doom 50 years down the road when fossil fuels run out.

Old 2011-02-27, 13:32   Link #67
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

this can be the right time for us to form a Celestial Being. truly with all that event. and unrest on my country, maybe we can see gundam faster than we tought
Old 2011-02-27, 20:19   Link #68
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Just don't try it in rush hour or up north

But what was this thread about again?
Old 2011-04-28, 17:33   Link #69
AnimeFan188

Syria army units clash as crackdown intensifies

"Syrian army units have clashed with each other over following President Bashar
Assad's orders to crack down on protesters in Daraa, a besieged city at the heart
of the uprising, witnesses and human rights groups said Thursday."

"It is the latest sign that cracks — however small — are developing in Assad's
base of support that would have been unimaginable just weeks ago. About 200
mostly low-level members of Syria's ruling Baath Party have resigned over Assad's
brutal crackdown."

""There are some battalions that refused to open fire on the people," Monajed
told The Associated Press, citing witnesses on the ground in Daraa, a city of
75,000 near the Jordanian border. "Battalions of the 5th Division were protecting
people, and returned fire when they were subjected to attacks by the 4th
Division.""

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110428/...mi_ea/ml_syria
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 19:04   Link #70
solomon

As pundits have said all along, be careful about lumping all of the Middle East together. In this case, I am a little skeptical about another "Egypt" coming about, there were conditioins there that allowed Egypt to happen. Syria, Yemen and Libya have distinct tribal issues and they did not even give people the impression of so called secularism like leaders in Egypt and Tunisia did.

I at least hope Egypt and Tunisia become relatively healthy modern democracies, the people deserve it. It'll take a while though.

As far as energy, it'll suck but like most other stuff related to the Middle East it's out the window now. What can we really do about it? Aside from totally overhauling our sense of urban planning of course.

Seriously though, I'd hold off talking as if the oil spicket is about to run dry. Ain't nothing happening in the Saudi's backyard and they are gonna keep it that way, much like Iran is doing.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 19:23   Link #71
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
As far as energy, it'll suck but like most other stuff related to the Middle East it's out the window now. What can we really do about it? Aside from totally overhauling our sense of urban planning of course.

Seriously though, I'd hold off talking as if the oil spicket is about to run dry. Ain't nothing happening in the Saudi's backyard and they are gonna keep it that way, much like Iran is doing.
Heh, there's too much money in Oil for those rigs to go idle for long. The spice must flow!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 19:32   Link #72
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interesting quote. Makes me wonder...if "He who controls the spice, controls the Universe" and Earth is the only source of the black gold known as oil.......What happens if we ever did expand into the surrounding star systems?

(The quote doesn't work as well when so many places have oil on the planet when the entire species is confined to said planet).
Old 2011-04-28, 21:38   Link #73
solomon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzNzOiao418

Great documentary here on Egypt that touches on a lot of subjects.

It's going to take a long time to get to a stable democracy without FLAGRANT corruption. After all you look at some western countries that historically have endemic corruption, Italy for example. Especially with that military who has a LOT of financial stake in keeping power.

Then of course is just the identity, is Egypt an Islamic or secular state, what of the Coptic Christians, the Muslim Brotherhood, how close will they associate with the Pan-Arab League or forge their own path.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote