AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-10-27, 01:21   Link #1
guess

firefox--still getting pop up?

I am using firefox but I still get ad (pop ups)! Is this normal?? I was told that firefox can block these pop-ups. I have been using it for a while now. This is the first time I have seen a pop up when I use firefox. Is there a way to check if the ad-blocking function is working or to figure out what the problem is?
Old 2004-10-27, 02:11   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Some popups will still occur. Ad servers use a javascript action which can sometimes confuse the browser's popup controls. There's also a known bug in the javascript implementation and the mozilla.org working group says a patch is forthcoming. If I remember right, it should be out sometime this week.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 02:29   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Or else you can try Opera instead. I can't recall the last time I got an unwanted pop-up.
  • Opera 7.54 - Current Stable build.
  • Opera 7.60 p2 - Latest Opera beta - I recommend it, it's better. It now informs you (unobtrusively) when it blocks a pop-up and lets you open it in case you really wanted the pop-up. (There's an icon on the page bar that you can click to get a menu of all blocked pop-ups.) This makes the "block all pop-ups option" a bit better, in case you are still getting pop-ups you don't want.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 02:35   Link #4
joopies
insane

did you enable the popup killer?

tools-> options -> and just look around there and read what kind of stuff you can enable
joopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 02:57   Link #5
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
i'v never had an unwanted popup ever since i started using Mozilla 0.7 and later on Firefox...
Check your popup blocker settings, and Opera sucks ass with its lame advertisement. even if you say it doesn't bother you, browsers should (imo) be 100% free and ad free.
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 23:53   Link #6
neodraconum

You have unwanted popups not because of firefox but because you have other programs running so you would get popups no matter what. Try use "adaware" or "Spybot - Search & Destroy" and get rid of spyware that causes the popups.

You can also uninstall firefox and reinstall it
neodraconum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 01:08   Link #7
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

What site are you visiting that is giving you the popups so other FF users can confirm?

As I said before, it most likely is the javascript bug. (see Bugzilla Bug 253831).
Firefox 1.0PR. Earlier editions will not see this bug. Linux users are safe from this bug.

Mozilla uses a different codebase that makes it more difficult for spyware to integrate into it since most spyware uses Active-X to plug-in and is designed more for IE, but then as neodraconum advises, it's better safe than sorry. I would recommend Spysweeper over Adaware since Adaware misses quite a lot of adware.
Old 2004-10-30, 09:32   Link #8
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
I was noticing this, too. Also that some sites could resize the browser window even if I blocked that in the options.
But the first Release Candidate for Firefox 1.0 was recently released and it seems like the bug was fixed. I didn't see any popup since and checked on some pages that were showing one with the preview release. With rc1, everything seems to be back to normal.
Note that the mozilla main download link still points to the PR. The RC1 is only mentioned in the news to the bottom left. You can grab Firefox RC1 here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...leases/1.0rc1/
(note that some extensions and themes won't work with rc1 even if they did with pr).
Old 2004-10-30, 10:33   Link #9
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
The pop-up/under ads *can* still happen with latest firefox, including RC1. For example, http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp (click on "Next")
There are some sneaky site out there which work so hard to overcome these popup killer schemes, it seems.

With these popup block system and adblock, I can browse many sites ad-free, but they're still not perfect. They're still better than nothing, though!
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 11:47   Link #10
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

Im using RC1, clicked on next... nothing happened? hehe
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 01:43   Link #11
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I'm getting really pissed with coders who do this but what can we say. For everything we fix, someone finds a way to exploit it. The hackers are always a two or three steps ahead of us. Pretty soon, our browsers will look like what it did 10 years ago - HTML only.
Old 2004-10-31, 02:03   Link #12
DigitalisAkujin
Web Developer

Send a message via AIM to DigitalisAkujin Send a message via MSN to DigitalisAkujin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Or else you can try Opera instead. I can't recall the last time I got an unwanted pop-up.
  • Opera 7.54 - Current Stable build.
  • Opera 7.60 p2 - Latest Opera beta - I recommend it, it's better. It now informs you (unobtrusively) when it blocks a pop-up and lets you open it in case you really wanted the pop-up. (There's an icon on the page bar that you can click to get a menu of all blocked pop-ups.) This makes the "block all pop-ups option" a bit better, in case you are still getting pop-ups you don't want.
Or you can stop shoving Opera down everyone's throat. I give Opera a few more years before it's dead. Everyone who went to it simply due to popups is now moving to Firefox. Though with SP2 that main reason to switch browsers is now gone. Also the whole ad thing doesn't work. :P

O and also. All you Firefox freaks: No PNG transparancy is HARDLY a reason for me to switch browsers. I have Firefox installed to make sure all the websites I create work well in Firefox but simply put I think Internet Explorer is a better overall browser. I really don't like Firefox's preferences interface nore it's menu interface. If it was fully skinable I might switch but for now I like my Internet Explorer interface.

Most times when Internet Explorer crashes is due to user error or a plugin that YOU installed. There's a reason to read dialogs sometimes. When people blame Microsoft for their mistakes it really shows how computer illitirate some people are. Got a problem? Fix it. Don't just pretend it will go away by installing another program. Internet Explorer is built into the Windows NT 5+ interface. You're not gonna escape it. :-P
DigitalisAkujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 06:11   Link #13
Ending

Quote:
Pretty soon, our browsers will look like what it did 10 years ago - HTML only.
Hehe, and still someone would find a ingenious way to exploit it.

But think about the positive side: there is always a way to get past artifical blocks and limitations, or make something better. Unfortunately script-kiddies do not seem to know what this means... So, what do you say if we all just neutralize the firewall of this server and add +2000 posts to everyone's post-count?

As to the topic, are you sure you don't have any virii or malware? You are? Sure hope so.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 19:05   Link #14
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I sure hope I dont have any malware! I work in the Network Security industry and if I have malware, I'm in deep s***.

Overall, I think the best defense to all the popups is very easy. Don't go on the Internet :P Seriously.

We know there are people there just to cause problems. They wont go away. We can pass laws, create better browsers, and so forth, but it all comes down to people's habits. Go to an untrusted site -> expect to be exploited. Plain and simple. Do not blame MS, do not blame IE, do not blame your PC. Blame yourself and go directly to Linux. But then again, Linux may become the new target as it gains marketshare so why bother? Easy fix but by the time you learn the OS, you get screwed by malware and what do you next? Go to MacOS? Go to Solaris? Go home? I can tell you, there's no place to run except to live in a shack in the middle of the forest.

DigitalisAkujin has the correct attitude.
Quote:
user error or a plugin that YOU installed. There's a reason to read dialogs sometimes. When people blame Microsoft for their mistakes it really shows how computer illitirate some people are. Got a problem? Fix it. Don't just pretend it will go away by installing another program. Internet Explorer is built into the Windows NT 5+ interface. You're not gonna escape it. :-P
Old 2004-10-31, 19:28   Link #15
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joopies
did you enable the popup killer?

tools-> options -> and just look around there and read what kind of stuff you can enable
I tried this and really didn't see anything I should change. I have ad-ware, spywareblaster, and norton anti virus and didn't detect anything. I already download SP2 for windows. I might try some other spyware if I can get one.

About that RC1 for Firefox, which version should I dwonlaod? I am using English Windows XP.
Old 2004-10-31, 21:11   Link #16
Anita-chan
Disabled By Request

no la, it might be a different type of pop up ....

like the kind of pop up when you have windows messenger installed, those annoying grey ones ...

if you do have them ... goto google and search for "shoot the messenger" and the website should eb something like www.grc.com .... download the program and run it la
Anita-chan is offline   Reply With Quote