AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-03, 17:32   Link #301
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I'm more concerned about the redhead's lack of nipples...
Oh, most animé and manga do that. I actually have a list in progress.
Old 2013-01-03, 17:45   Link #302
kuromitsu

I know, but in this case it would've been possible (and more sexy, if you ask me) to hide them with some strategically placed foam or strands of hair or something... but now I look at the boobs and go "nipples?"
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 03:04   Link #303
Dark Wing

I can't believe a series like this went completely under my radar. This is defiantly going to be a must watch for me.
Old 2013-01-04, 03:52   Link #304
Cyprene

Quote:
On a side note, if this is licensed, and they don't call her "useless meat" in the english dub and use the word "plump" instead, it will be a sad day indeed
It will be "useless flesh", actually, which is as far as I know, the "official" translation. (It was what showed up on the daniku illustration contest, and in any event it's the most accurate translation.)

I don't know who did the ANN Spotlight, but I'll be handling the translation for Crunchyroll, and I'm very familiar with the original property. I've read the entire original 2chan threads (It came out to like 7000 pages on my Kindle!) a couple volumes of the manga, the gaiden for Mage, and a good chunk of the published novels.

"Maou" will be translated "Demon King", as otherwise a lot of the dialogue simply becomes a non-sequiter. I know "Demon Queen" is the more commonly used translation in this thread, but that doesn't work with this adaptation. Most of the other titles will be identical, though I'm probably going to go with something shorter for 女騎士 and 女魔法使い, simply because subtitles have hard character limits that don't give you a lot of room to waste on things. Haven't 100% decided yet.

I haven't checked the airdate exactly, but I believe the first episode of this show goes live tomorrow. If you're at all a fan I highly encourage you to check it out; it's as good an adaptation of very difficult material as I could've hoped for.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 03:56   Link #305
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
I haven't checked the airdate exactly, but I believe the first episode of this show goes live tomorrow.
It's actually tonight at 25:00 Japan time (1:00 am), which will be 8 hours from now.

I'm wondering why there hasn't been any additional PV's or even CM's posted even though the airing is so near. Not even a hint of what the OP's and ED's sound like.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 04:51   Link #306
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
"Maou" will be translated "Demon King", as otherwise a lot of the dialogue simply becomes a non-sequiter. I know "Demon Queen" is the more commonly used translation in this thread, but that doesn't work with this adaptation.
Hi Cyprene,

thanks for at least announcing and explaining this decision, but for MaoYuu fans, this is a very painful change pushing us out of the comfort zone by a big margin (at least that is my reaction to it). Demon Queen isn't merely "more commonly used", it is the accepted canon of the english-speaking fanbase - I have never been in a discussion with a MaoYuu fan who used anything else, except for one time: I remember uneasily reading and soon dropping a scanlation of another MaoYuu version primarily based on the stubborn insistence on "Demon King", which felt very off-base. Yes, that's the literal translation, but it sure was no good one.

There may be a scene later in which the gender of the Demon ruler may become an issue, but couldn't that be TL noted or worked around?

Your decision has been made, so you won't change it so close before the airing, but throughout my decade of fansubbing, I've repeatedly found that once a TL spurns an established term/name of the fanbase while insisting on a different, "correct" translation, it has backfired. So could you give a non-sequitur example of what couldn't have worked differently?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:29   Link #307
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
I don't know who did the ANN Spotlight, but I'll be handling the translation for Crunchyroll, and I'm very familiar with the original property. I've read the entire original 2chan threads (It came out to like 7000 pages on my Kindle!) a couple volumes of the manga, the gaiden for Mage, and a good chunk of the published novels.
Well that's pretty damn impressive, good luck working on the show!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:39   Link #308
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Now that's new for the anime...

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:57   Link #309
bastek66

So much useless meat.
Spoiler for meat:
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 11:58   Link #310
willx
Nyaaan~~

Thought I'd swing by and whine about which version of art they're using ..

Before the torches and arrows are flung, it's still very cute though.
Old 2013-01-04, 12:43   Link #311
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 12:56   Link #312
Cyprene

" There may be a scene later in which the gender of the Demon ruler may become an issue, but couldn't that be TL noted or worked around? "

Unfortunately no, the relevant line of dialogue is in the first episode, and is actually one of the first things Hero says. At 4:15 in my raw, which may differ slightly from the one that's posted on CR:

勇者「なんで魔王が女なんだよ!?」 "Why is the Demon (Whatever) a woman?"
魔王「伝統的な称号なのだからしょうがない」 "It's a traditional title; it wasn't my decision."
(Again not pulling that TL off of the CR final so it may differ slightly.)

If you use Demon Queen that first line becomes "Why is the Demon Queen a woman?" Which doesn't really work as well as it might.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 13:07   Link #313
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
" There may be a scene later in which the gender of the Demon ruler may become an issue, but couldn't that be TL noted or worked around? "

Unfortunately no, the relevant line of dialogue is in the first episode, and is actually one of the first things Hero says. At 4:15 in my raw, which may differ slightly from the one that's posted on CR:

勇者「なんで魔王が女なんだよ!?」 "Why is the Demon (Whatever) a woman?"
魔王「伝統的な称号なのだからしょうがない」 "It's a traditional title; it wasn't my decision."
(Again not pulling that TL off of the CR final so it may differ slightly.)

If you use Demon Queen that first line becomes "Why is the Demon Queen a woman?" Which doesn't really work as well as it might.

That is impossible to work around?!?

"Why is the Demon Lord a woman?"

and then go with "Demon Queen" from there on. You seriously think that calling an obvious woman "Demon King" is a proper solution? *blinks*

Well, I should watch the episode first, but I'm inwardly cringing already.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 13:17   Link #314
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
That is impossible to work around?!?
Because that wouldn't be consistent? I'm not familiar with the source material but if she's known as the "Demon King" (as in, people suppose the Demon King is a man) so widely that people are surprised to find she's a woman then there's no point in changing it just because fans prefer it that way.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 13:26   Link #315
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Demon King makes sense.

All else aside, there are real life situations when a woman takes up a title of a male position because there simply isn't a female equivalent. This reminds me of 12 Kingdoms, where Yoko was crowned King. In that universe there were plenty of female rulers, but none the less King is the title and not changed.

Just think of "Demon-King" as one word. As a nametag. That there isn't such a thing as "Demon Queen" because such a job title does not exist.
Old 2013-01-04, 13:47   Link #316
Miraluka
Banned

The opening isn't bad but I find something catchy on it .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 14:00   Link #317
ragez2010
TamingSari

okay , watch the 1st episode and i didn't know Onna Mahou Tsukai have three personality kinda spoil me.
Spoiler for new:
ragez2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 14:28   Link #318
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Half of this episode feels like a love confession, lol.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 14:36   Link #319
ookamigirl

Hero meets the demon lord and falls in love ROFL
This one seems kinda ecchi.
But it was fun watching those two bicker.
Watching their memories was nice.
Her "war-must-go-on" logic made some sense.
That girl was pretty normal for a maou.
I'll give it a few more episode before I decide to watch it or not.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 14:38   Link #320
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post

So much useless meat.
Spoiler for meat:
My reaction :
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem