AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-12, 15:34   Link #21
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Perhaps, the mod couldn't discern from the opening post if the show had english subtitle. I don't believe it is necessary for a series to be fansubbed before it can be moved to the Fansub section for further discussion. As long as a series has english subtitle and the series in question isn't licensed, I would presume the thread can be moved to the Fansub section. Oh, and it seems like Ojisan might be in agreement from his above post but the old man is too clever to override the authority of another mod.

Downloading an episode to see how Chinese Chess is played.
Old 2006-11-12, 18:17   Link #22
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm opining from sight (i.e. don't take my word for this), but Chinese chess seems to be a simpler form of Indian-derivative modern chess (chess that's known and recognized worldwide). For one, I see lesser spaces to move in; for another, I think there are more pieces in a regular chess game than in this one.
Old 2006-11-13, 02:51   Link #23
Lathdrinor

The game complexity tree for Chinese chess is actually larger than the game complexity tree of regular chess. However, I do believe that the two forms of Chess share somewhat of a common origin, or were at least inter-seeded during their respective histories. For one - the existence of the elephant piece in Chinese chess is odd given that elephants were not part of the Chinese military (they were part of SE Asian/Indian militaries). Meanwhile, the original Indian game did have elephants, which suggests that the game might have either been imported or adapted by trade between the two cultures.

"Regular" chess, btw, is a Western derivative of Indian chess that did not arise until relatively late in world history. Pieces like Knight, Bishop, Rook, etc. were adaptations of original Indian pieces that had nothing of the sort. In fact, bishops were originally camels and rooks were originally chariots - which makes much more sense, if you think about it, than moving towers and zigzagging holy men
Old 2006-11-13, 10:18   Link #24
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathdrinor View Post
The game complexity tree for Chinese chess is actually larger than the game complexity tree of regular chess. However, I do believe that the two forms of Chess share somewhat of a common origin, or were at least inter-seeded during their respective histories. For one - the existence of the elephant piece in Chinese chess is odd given that elephants were not part of the Chinese military (they were part of SE Asian/Indian militaries). Meanwhile, the original Indian game did have elephants, which suggests that the game might have either been imported or adapted by trade between the two cultures.
That's because on one side, the "elephant" (象) piece is actually "minister" (相), the Chinese Chess equivalent to a bishop. And since 象 and 相 are both pronounced the same well (xiang), different characters are used to distinguish both sides. And there were mention of elephants being used in battle by the SW tribes (in Sichuan, near the present-day Burmese border) in the classic novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The same can be said for the "General" (the equivalent of King in chess). On one side is 將 (jiang), the other is 帥 (shuai), both mean "Commander/General". According to the wiki below, the reason why there's no King/Emperor is because the real Emperor will lop your head off for trying to "eat" a caricature of him.

Full list of variations:

Name (Chess equivalent):

General (King):
Black 將
Red 帥

Advisor (sort of a "nerfed" Queen)
B 士
R 仕

Minister/Elephant (Bishop)
B 象
R 相

Horse (Knight)
B 馬
R 傌

Chariot (Rook)
B 車
R 俥

Cannon (no known Western equivalent)
B 砲
R 炮

Soldier (Pawn)
B 卒
R 兵

More stuff can be found in this wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_chess
Old 2006-11-14, 00:54   Link #25
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Ew Chinese chess...if it was regular chess, I'd be hooked =P
Old 2006-11-14, 06:55   Link #26
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Ew Chinese chess...if it was regular chess, I'd be hooked =P
If you're trying to flame, then your attempt has not been very successful.

Both Chinese chess and western chess are both boardgames that require some level of skill to play, what's there to "ew" about? I would've understood if you yelled "Boring", but "Ew" makes it sound like it's disgusting to look at. Be more open minded please, cheers.
Old 2006-11-14, 07:26   Link #27
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I find Western chess more enticing ... but at least this wasn't shougi. They'd take forever just explaining the different moves and the different officials in that game. I find all games that require cerebration quite exciting - especially the non-physical ones.
Old 2006-11-14, 13:03   Link #28
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I've played chinese chess...I never got the hang of it too much...western chess is simpler to play and I feel has a higher depth to it.
Old 2006-11-15, 02:47   Link #29
Lathdrinor

Kind of an oxymoron, isn't it?

I, too, have played both forms of Chess, and it really comes down to a matter of preference (and cultural upbringing - in the West and especially the US, Western Chess is probably all you'd ever see unless you go to Chinatown; in China, however, Chinese Chess dominates, and you'll see it everywhere). Western Chess places great emphasis on pawns and their positioning, whereas with Chinese Chess the action is focused more on the three core attack pieces (Horse, Chariot, Cannon), with everyone else playing defense/support. As a result, Chinese Chess tends to have faster games. Meanwhile, board setups usually differ between the two games - the diagonals/straights are the most important avenues in Western Chess and most players form around them. In Chinese Chess, by contrast, due to the presence of the cannon and the restricted movement of the general and his guards the pieces usually end up clustered around a certain area (usually near the general). The opening moves are also drastically different (in Western Chess, you must move a pawn, and it's usually several moves before any threat is posed to the other side; in Chinese Chess, you have much more freedom as to what to do in the first move, and one of the most famous moves that gets the game right into the thick of battle is Cannon-to-Center, which threatens an enemy pawn the very first move).

Anyhow, this is getting slightly off-topic
Old 2008-04-19, 09:15   Link #30
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

What happened to this series?
Closed Thread