AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2006-01-26, 10:19   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi - Game Qs & Discussion (no-spoilers version)

For those of you dying to know stuff about Higurashi, but were afraid to post in the other section full of spoilers, use this thread.

You may utilize this thread to ask questions such as:

What is a doujin game anyway?
What is that 2D fighting game we see images about?
Does Higurashi have "hentai" (blatantly wrong usage of the word, but leave that aside) in it?
Is there an English port? Is a translation available

And other questions along these lines.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-07-07 at 17:20.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-11, 13:38   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've seen a few images around here and there - and i was just wondering whats the name of th 2D Higurashi doujin game i've been seeing?
Old 2006-05-14, 21:31   Link #3
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
I've seen a few images around here and there - and i was just wondering whats the name of th 2D Higurashi doujin game i've been seeing?
I know of no 2D Higurashi doujin (fighting?) games out there as of now. The only Higurashi fighting game I can remember off of the top of my head is Higurashi Daybreak by Twilight Frontier, a 3D fighter that's currently in development.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Another question. How much overlap is there between the chapters?

For example, in ep.6, Kei didn't know Tomitake. However, he knew about the dam... so did the scene with the Colonel doll occur in the Watanagashi-hen timeline? Or did Kei simply visit Shion instead of Rena that particular day?

I'm guessing this is delineated more clearly in the sound novels.
Remember, these stories happen in parallel of each other (parallel world). So it makes sense that Keiichi would be meeting Tomitake "for the first time" at some point in all of the stories, the only difference would be the location and time (and their significance, if any). Of course, maybe there's a chance that an event doesn't happen at all (like your speculation about Keiichi "choosing" to visit Shion instead of going with Rena on her treasure hunt "event"), but as far as "Keiichi meeting Tomitake" goes, it has been 2 out of 2 so far.

As for Keiichi's knowledge about the dam project, what do you think? Do you remember how Keiichi found out about it in Onikakushi-hen? Remember, the same information can mean totally different things, depending on the situation you are in when you find out about it.

Hmm, I think that's a good place to stop. Answering without spoiling is like trying to control the flow of a water tab, one that I'm not very good at controlling.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 16:00   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I know of no 2D Higurashi doujin (fighting?) games out there as of now. The only Higurashi fighting game I can remember off of the top of my head is Higurashi Daybreak by Twilight Frontier, a 3D fighter that's currently in development.
Spoiler:
Already know about that - all i can think of is that the 2D images have come from Mugen or something.
Old 2006-06-12, 16:12   Link #5
Pacilia

I have a slight confusion. What's the difference between the 'doujin game' and the visual sound novel" (or just sound novel in one of the sites that I saw). I'm trying to find a place where I can get them, but it's the doujin game mentioned here and the visual/sound novel (sound novel) that's completely throwing me off my path. Are they just the same thing?
Pacilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:20   Link #6
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacilia
I have a slight confusion. What's the difference between the 'doujin game' and the visual sound novel" (or just sound novel in one of the sites that I saw). I'm trying to find a place where I can get them, but it's the doujin game mentioned here and the visual/sound novel (sound novel) that's completely throwing me off my path. Are they just the same thing?
They're referring to the same thing. Higurashi is a doujin sound novel.

You can refer to the Wikipedia entry that kj1980 wrote on Higurashi for more info. The link to the wiki should be on the first page of this thread.
Old 2006-06-14, 14:20   Link #7
MarmoO

I guess it would have been asked earlier, but I didn't find anything - I understand in original game there is only bgm, without voice actress, I know also there is going to be released PS2 version with seiyuu, is there a chance that this version will be released also for PC? (my Japanese doesn't let me play the game with text only and I don't have PS2 ;/)
MarmoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 17:57   Link #8
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO
I guess it would have been asked earlier, but I didn't find anything - I understand in original game there is only bgm, without voice actress, I know also there is going to be released PS2 version with seiyuu, is there a chance that this version will be released also for PC? (my Japanese doesn't let me play the game with text only and I don't have PS2 ;/)
Most likely not, since that'll make it a reverse port, which will conflict with the original sound novel on PC.

If you prefer listening to the story rather than reading it, you can always look to the Higurashi Drama CDs. These CDs practically contains the entire game in audio format, with seiyuus (the same ones in the anime) faithfully reproducing all the dialogues and narrations from the game.

Right now, drama CDs for Onikakushi-hen and Watanagashi-hen are out, and Tatarigoroshi-hen is soon to be released (6/28).

Just to give you an idea on the massive size of each game chapter, the voiced Onikakushi-hen is spread out across 3 audio CDs, while both Watanagashi and Tatarigoroshi-hen took 4 CDs to cover!

=============
Oh yeah, for those of you who's interested, the trial version of the game is available for download again:
http://07th-expansion.net/Soft/Taiken.htm

The trial version contains the entire Onikakushi-hen, so if you want to read the chapter in it's original form, or if you're just curious to know what the original game is like, then give it a download.
Old 2006-06-19, 22:27   Link #9
The Creator
Golden Emperor

i wanna know; if there is some kind of patch to play the game at least the first question; in english or if the game are gonna be released in the usa or europe
thanks a lot
The Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 23:16   Link #10
FubaredByAnime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creator
i wanna know; if there is some kind of patch to play the game at least the first question; in english or if the game are gonna be released in the usa or europe
thanks a lot
This answer has been asked earlier in the same thread:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...12&postcount=7

As of now, the answer has not changed from no.

That said, let me refer to a blogger who has been very nice to summarize the differences between the game and the anime. He just finished the first arc and is currently working on Watangashi-hen, so please make sure to watch both arcs before going to his site.
FubaredByAnime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-20, 01:00   Link #11
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubaredByAnime
That said, let me refer to a blogger who has been very nice to summarize the differences between the game and the anime. He just finished the first arc and is currently working on Watangashi-hen, so please make sure to watch both arcs before going to his site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the blogger
Towards the end I think I became a little obsessive and even nearly translated each line line by line. And it will get worse as the anime keeps cutting more and more stuff out, (Episode 10 just straight out cutted a few days worth of story!!) leaving only the horror and suspense elements. I don’t really know a solution to this except cut alot of info out myself too.
Yeah, tell me about it.

I'm done complaining, it's not going to change anything anyway. People should read those summaries of the game prepared by this guy, at least you will get an idea of what the game's story is really like (they still feel rushed, but I think he did a great job writing them. Can't blame him anyway, a detailed summary would probably take weeks to type )

My biggest fear is about Meakashi-hen right now. Given the anime's tendency to cut out most, if not all, monologues from the chapters. I can't even imagine what Meakashi will be like without _____'s monologues.
Old 2006-06-25, 04:36   Link #12
Prinkster

I absolutely love this show, and seeing all of these posts about how "The game is like 390840298492 times better than the anime" makes me want to play it. BUT I know nothing about how to get the game or play it, sooo, two questions:

1. Where are some sites I can order the game and get it shipped to me in the United States?

and

2. Honestly, for someone with little knowledge of Japanese (we're talking next-to-none), how hard/enjoyable would this game be if I just got a dictionary and tried to translate it?

Thanks for the help!
Prinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 05:43   Link #13
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinkster
I absolutely love this show, and seeing all of these posts about how "The game is like 390840298492 times better than the anime" makes me want to play it. BUT I know nothing about how to get the game or play it, sooo, two questions:

1. Where are some sites I can order the game and get it shipped to me in the United States?

and

2. Honestly, for someone with little knowledge of Japanese (we're talking next-to-none), how hard/enjoyable would this game be if I just got a dictionary and tried to translate it?

Thanks for the help!
1. The best site seems for foreigners to buy the game would be a website called himeya shop.

You can buy:

This one, which will get you all the questions arcs (Onikakushi~Himatsubushi)
And this one, which will get you the all answer arcs (Meakashi~Matsuribayashi).

2. I wouldn't know as I am native, but I would say that if you can read a Japanese news site such Asahi.com, you can play the game with no problem.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-08-28 at 23:26. Reason: changed link to Matsuribayashi
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 07:58   Link #14
dopelfish
I WILL EAT YOU

Two questions:
1. Are the Lizardy/"SEED Mode" eyes only part of anime or they are in game too?
2. Mekashi-hen is going to have only 2 episodes? Only 2 are listed on wikipedia and anidb.
dopelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 10:54   Link #15
LostBlue
祭囃子

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopelfish
Two questions:
1. Are the Lizardy/"SEED Mode" eyes only part of anime or they are in game too?
2. Mekashi-hen is going to have only 2 episodes? Only 2 are listed on wikipedia and anidb.
1) Happens in the game, but the game really lack graphics. It's more of a novel in a game format with Tachi-e's (character portraits) as a bonus. The BG sounds + and the Chara Portraits do add a lot to the actual text. Especially when they don't match the text.

2) Meakashi should be 5 EPs (guessing) - I can't imagine it shorter and I think it can be nicely done with that many. Tsumihoroboshi I'm guessing 6 which I don't feel is enough. Ch6 is long and is a roller coaster from start from finish more so than any of the other chapters. I'm guessing they'll cut out a lot from scrap 34 and flashbacks (both) short. Personally, I didn't like the chapter too much, but my favorite scenes/lines are in this one - go figure. I just hope they keep the "ending," which made me happy. だって殆んど連続事件に全然関係なかったから、それでちょっとイライラしてた。屋根での決闘はとくに... まぁ、圭ちゃんの決意はカッコウよかった。マジで惚れ直した ^^; They probably won't to keep the anime nicely wrapped up, but I hope they do. Akasaka fukki banzai~ \(^^)/
LostBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 01:42   Link #16
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

So I noticed that the first two answer arcs are basically the same as the first 2 answer arcs, just from someone else's point of view. Is Tsumihoroboshi-hen also Tatarigoroshi-hen from another point of view, or is it a completely new scenario?
Shuin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 12:31   Link #17
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Oh yeah, for those of you who's interested, the trial version of the game is available for download again:
http://07th-expansion.net/Soft/Taiken.htm

The trial version contains the entire Onikakushi-hen, so if you want to read the chapter in it's original form, or if you're just curious to know what the original game is like, then give it a download.
Think this counts as a game question... have they changed the music? Got that chapter before the link went down, and just got it again, and not only is the WAV folder now hidden but it's mostly different stuff (few tracks that were there before like 'Rena', but some of them are definitely gone like that stupidly upbeat piece that's stuck in my head to this day).
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 17:38   Link #18
Eric the Grey

There is a program I read about here on the Animesuki forums that translates *some* Japanese games into english. It only works if the letters/words are formed using the OS, instead of being images projected to the game screen, and it requires the game in question to be run in windowed mode.

Unfortunately, I've lost the link, and cannot find the thread I read about it in.

Does anybody have a link to this, and has anybody tried to use it with Higurashi? I'd love to give the game a shot, but don't know the first thing about reading Japanese.

Edit: I found what I was talking about (I should have checked my bookmarks first, instead of the game threads)

The programs in question are: AGTH (Anime Game Text Hooker) and Oh!. The two seem to work similarly, but the maker of Oh! seems to think that AGTH might be better...

Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-21, 18:04   Link #19
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
Think this counts as a game question... have they changed the music? Got that chapter before the link went down, and just got it again, and not only is the WAV folder now hidden but it's mostly different stuff (few tracks that were there before like 'Rena', but some of them are definitely gone like that stupidly upbeat piece that's stuck in my head to this day).
Late response, but yes, the trial version appears to feature some different tracks and sound effects from the full version (Apparantely, produced by the guys over at Twilight Frontier). Are they any good? ^^;

Speaking of Twilight Frontier, Higurashi Daybreak's trial version is available for download over at their page:
http://www.tasofro.net/higurashi/index.html
(ダウンロード is the download page)

Fun~ ^^
Can't wait until Comike for the release.
Old 2006-07-22, 09:09   Link #20
Midrange
Betwixt tweet and woof

Question~

Matsuribayashi-hen will be the final package for the Kai chapters, right? No more repackaging? Have 07th-Expansion announced any plans to make a single package of all eight chapters together? Because if so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to take the plunge if they did such a thing.

I'd also like to see a PC port of the PS2 voiced version even if it is unlikely

[edit: no more posting at 6am in the morning for me after staying up all night, also, i need to %@#$ing read]

Last edited by Midrange; 2006-07-22 at 14:39.
Midrange is offline   Reply With Quote