AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-30, 18:35   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

[Manga] How will episode 26 {last episode} finish the season?

For some time people have been speculating about how Claymore will conclude. It will have to end before the end of the manga since not only is the manga still ongoing, but it is only being written at a pace of only 1 chapter each month. Since that is a lot slower than other shounen manga like Bleach or Naruto we can be certain that this show will end prematurely, although there might be a season 2 some time in the future.

The good news is that it means we won't be subjected to an extended filler arc unless it is about 4 years long! Pretty unlikely, eh? Oh lord I hope it is unlikely! The bad news is that there are only going to be 26 episodes. We can be certain about that episode count because of the advertised listings for the forthcoming DVDs.

Now... at what point in the manga will the series conclude? Will the writers choose an arbitrary chapter? What chapter will be the final chapter? Will they find a point that makes dramatic sense? Will they make up an original ending for the anime? Or will they pull a vague sort-of-ending like Elfen Lied? Feel free to speculate!

Warning to those who do not read the manga: Obviously there is no way to discuss this topic without spoilers. Expect that every single post -- without exception -- will contain information from the manga at volumes 11 and up! Reading this thread will subject you to massive spoilers and ruin your ability to fully enjoy the natural discovery of the plot.

You have been warned.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-30 at 21:34.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:59   Link #2
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Guys, do you think it is pretty much a given that this first Claymore anime adaptation will finish somewhere after the end of fighting in Pieta?

Just judging from the story length, I do not see any other point in the story where they can safely stop in the time span of 26 episodes.
Old 2007-05-30, 20:07   Link #3
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Guys, do you think it is pretty much a given that this first Claymore anime adaptation will finish somewhere after the end of fighting in Pieta?

Just judging from the story length, I do not see any other point in the story where they can safely stop in the time span of 26 episodes.
I wouldn't be shocked if the stopped right before the Northern Campaign actually.
Old 2007-05-30, 21:40   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It might be a tense moment to stop the series just as all the Claymores are awaiting the end. Perhaps end it when Miria reveals that their death is certain? Nah, too much of an anti-climax. You have to wait a bit longer than that to gain the proper sense of despair.

How about right after the first wave of Awakened Ones? The three scouts are defeated after a very tense fight. Then Isley orders twenty-eight Awakened Ones to assault Pieta. That's the pinnacle of despair. It seems insane to think that they could possibly survive twenty-eight! Especially since Isley is right behind that vanguard!

That's not when I imagine it ending though. The ending I would like to see is for everyone to get wiped out one-by-one and then skip 7 years. Claris and her companions have their fight and get mysteriously saved. Then after Claris wakes up we watch her count the swords and come up 7 short. The camera pulls back and we see the of shapes of unknow people observing her. End show. It would be the perfect blend of hope and mystery. It's actually sort of like the Elfen Lied ending, but without actually changing the manga at all.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-30, 21:48   Link #5
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I see it as ending as Priscilla is counting down the extinguishing 'lights' during the final moments of the N-Campaign.

Maybe as Isley trains Raki, swords clashing, the scene switches back and forth from them to the remaning Claymores as they battle for their lives in time to the slashes from the blades.

Final scene (definitely after the credits) should be a slow pan shot of the Claymore Graveyard but with someone sticking the last claymore into the ground. We can't see them but we know who they are and it shows enough to make out 7 shadows disappearing into the snow filled landscape...with probably a final monologe from someone.

Something along those lines would end the series very nicely, in my opinion. ^_^
Old 2007-05-30, 21:50   Link #6
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That's not when I imagine it ending though. The ending I would like to see is for everyone to get wiped out one-by-one and then skip 7 years. Claris and her companions have their fight and get mysteriously saved. Then after Claris wakes up we watch her count the swords and come up 7 short. The camera pulls back and we see the of shapes of unknown people observing her. End show.
Your psychic O_O, thats exactly what I thought, as soon as I saw the first post. I think an ending like that is ideal, the northern campaign is a good stopping point, and that leaves it open ended enough, for them too make a second season 5 or 6 years down the road. (about the time it would take to get to volume 22).
Old 2007-05-30, 22:07   Link #7
LCeh

It's going to be hard for the anime to find a good place to stop. Unlike 99% of other shounen manga, where you have got one major arc ending before the start of another, Claymore's plot is tightly packed that there is only one continuous story focused on one main conflict. No matter where the animator choose to end it, it will not feel like an ending because the manga is still ongoing, and the conclusion of one fight will only lead to the next one.

NSW's ending seems quite good. If I had to come up with another place to end it, I would probably end it at where Isley introduces himself to Raki, and tells him that the name of the girl he is with is Priscilla. I would think that is probably the only other alternative that would give a satisfying ending for the anime series. Either way, I think it will be difficult to pull off a good ending.
Old 2007-05-30, 22:15   Link #8
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

I already said this elsewhere, but I think it'll be like the new Guyver series. The last episode will be the first chapter post time skip. Claris will be introduced, and then saved by the seven ghosts. Maybe the animaters will do something cruel like show the Jeans attack, but not show that Helen used it, and the not clearly show who the Seven survivors are, so the people just watching the anime think Jean somehow survived. I'd like for the last shot to be something like the Seven survivors standing on a clill looking at the sunset. Cheesy, but effective.
Old 2007-05-31, 00:15   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I like NoSanninWa's ending.

My biggest beef about the best plausible Claymore ending around the North Campaign is that I can never, not possibly see one ending that will allow the flashback about the half a pill of youma-suppressant to be integrated since it pretty much ruins the "abrupt" mood and chill following Rigardo's kills, Priscilla's words, and the seemingly "this is really really really the end for Clare and co." vibe from the hopeless North Campaign situation. That flashback nearly gave me donkey tears despite it's obvious simplicity, due to it's showcase of Claymore bonds that was beautiful, yet non-cheesy.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-31, 00:17   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Then look forward to it at the beginning of season 2.... in another 5 years. Or else find a season 1 finale that can use it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-31, 01:45   Link #11
SinsI

I for one would like it to completely deviate after a certain point in time, giving it a conclusive ending different from the manga. Since we have Priscilla and Ilene in the OP but no Jean they can stop right before the Witch's Maw.
Old 2007-05-31, 02:19   Link #12
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

We'll probably see a new OP at episode 13 with Jean and Galatea in it.

Old 2007-05-31, 02:46   Link #13
killer3000ad

Sure hope so. I so wanna see Galatea. With episode 9 out, Galatea should be making her appearance in the next 2 episodes.
Old 2007-05-31, 03:45   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The ending I would like to see is for everyone to get wiped out one-by-one and then skip 7 years. Claris and her companions have their fight and get mysteriously saved. Then after Claris wakes up we watch her count the swords and come up 7 short. The camera pulls back and we see the of shapes of unknow people observing her. End show. It would be the perfect blend of hope and mystery.
That's where I imagine it would end too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
My biggest beef about the best plausible Claymore ending around the North Campaign is that I can never, not possibly see one ending that will allow the flashback about the half a pill of youma-suppressant to be integrated since it pretty much ruins the "abrupt" mood and chill following Rigardo's kills,
I think for the Northern Campaign ending to achieve maximum dramatic impact, that scene about the pills must be left out. By that point in the story, viewers will already know full well that every warrior is expendable, even major ones like Flora, Jean and Undine. Teresa's death wasn't just a plot accident, and even the mighty can fall.

So, to have a final episode where Miria grimly announces that this is their final battle, can you possibly imagine the sense of dread the anime viewer would feel? Cue to Priscilla saying, in tears, that all the "lights have gone out". The finality of those words would be crushing.

Skipping forward to the moment when Clarice's party is saved, and to Clarice's discovery of the mass grave missing seven swords would make a fitting epilogue.

But that would most probably mean that Rafaela's sidestory has to be saved for the second season.
Old 2007-05-31, 04:17   Link #15
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I like NoSanninWa's ending too, but I could take it if they ended with Priscilla counting the lights, and fade to black.
Old 2007-05-31, 04:21   Link #16
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Yeah, the scene showing Priscilla as she counts the lights goind out would be a fine season ender. Same goes for Tempest35's ending. NoSanninWa's ending actually seems more proper as a first episode for the second season since it already introduces several new characters.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-05-31, 10:07   Link #17
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Wow..this is a nice thread..infact same question as been bugging me for quite some time. Well analysing at the present rate..
Episode 10: Defeat of Awakened Being with Miria teling of 1 to 5
Episode 11:Ophelia introduced. Galatea might make an appearance in the beginning or end of the previous episode. Raki and Clare seperate i guess here
Episode 12:Irena makes her comeback and coaches Clare..Past re-visited
Episode 13:Raphaela introduced. Ophelia v/s Clare...Clare searching for Raki
Episode 14:Riful makes an entry...Fighting with Duph
Episode 15:Finish to the fight most probably
Episode 16:Clare called back and the Northern Campaign starts with an idea of where Raki is
Episode 17:Northern Campaign goes on more with a bit of info on organizational activity. This carries on to Episode 18 with knowledge of Priscilla and all
Episode 19:Rigald the Lion should come somewhere here i guess
Episode 20:Idea more on Organization. The fall at Pieta i guess
Episode 21:The war of the Abysall beings. Alicia and bess introduced
Episode 22:Raphaela's past..and the end of the whole campaign
Episode 23:7 years later....The resolution to come out of there hiding..Riful comeback
Episode 24..Face off between Riful and Clare. Clare realises that Priscilla is too powerful. I feel this is the ideal ending..where every one realises That Priscilla is unbeatable at the moment

If it is a 26 episode series as i hear..there might be a minor changes in the above schedule...since i left out Miata..the hunt for Galatea and episodes might go on more than i have predicted. But this is the basic layout i feel

2 best places to end would be
i)The fall of Pieta..7 yrs laer Clarice counts 17 swords and in the silhouette we see the 7 Ghosts
ii) The ending where every one comes to know tha Priscilla is THE STRONGEST AWAKENED BEING

I do wish that Raki is shown too by the end of the season..but i dont know how thay will do it

AND PLEASE..I hope they make a season 2

EDIT: Might have underestimated the Duph and the Northern Campaign time. Frankly i want it to end with my Ending no (i) than Ending no (ii)
Old 2007-05-31, 10:20   Link #18
HinaThePrince

Good ending, Tempest! I'd definitely like to see it end this way. Prissyface counting the disappearing lights would be incredibly creepy for an ending, so that'd be good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
I for one would like it to completely deviate after a certain point in time, giving it a conclusive ending different from the manga. Since we have Priscilla and Ilene in the OP but no Jean they can stop right before the Witch's Maw.
She is in the OP, though. Really blurry, but I'm pretty sure it's her because of the hairstyle [and I think she has no eyebrows, either, but it's kinda hard to tell]. And anyway, a Claymore anime without Jean would suck!

Spoiler for Heeeere's Jean-chan:

There'll probably be a new OP halfway through, since having an OP with so much of Teresa and so little of the other characters for the whole series doesn't make much sense.
Old 2007-05-31, 10:31   Link #19
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Even if Jean wasn't in the OP, the fact that Riful's in means Jean will obviously be in it.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-31, 10:41   Link #20
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm guessing the last scene before the ending credits will be after the time skip with Clarice counting the 17 Claymore graves with Miria and Helen discussing what to do about her.

Than we have the ending credits and after that we see Clare and #40 walking through the snow.

I'd love to see Riful toy with the new claymore gen and even Miata in action but the above seems to be the best way to end the first series. Hopefully a second series is made 4-5 years down the track when there is enough manga to animate.
Closed Thread