AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-23, 13:49   Link #21
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
For me it usually depends on which girl I like most.

Toradora, for instance. I don't think Taiga or Minori should have won.

He should have ended up with Ami. Because she was the best character in the entire fucking show.
*Coughs*
Are you trying to invoke a shipper war here?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-06-23, 13:59   Link #22
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic

The TaigaxMinori and RyuujixAmi ships will sink your fleet!
Old 2010-06-23, 14:52   Link #23
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:

The TaigaxMinori and RyuujixAmi ships will sink your fleet!
Ready the CANONs!
Old 2010-06-23, 15:14   Link #24
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I just remembered one anime I've seen where the childhood friend beats out magical girlfriend characters: Shuffle. Fair warning: if you don't like harem shows, you probably shouldn't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
Ready the CANONs!
Yep. There's only one Canon that really matters.
(Okay, how many people did I just troll?)

Old 2010-06-23, 16:41   Link #25
Qwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I just remembered one anime I've seen where the childhood friend beats out magical girlfriend characters: Shuffle. Fair warning: if you don't like harem shows, you probably shouldn't bother.
This might spoil it depending on what people know before hand so:

Spoiler:

Thinking it over, I believe Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka fits if you make a few allowances on what constitutes a childhood friend.
Old 2010-06-23, 17:18   Link #26
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwey View Post
This might spoil it depending on what people know before hand so:

Spoiler:
It's probably not a perfect fit but it's fairly close to what he's asking for. Spoilering details because they are spoilers.

Spoiler for Shuffle:

Old 2010-06-23, 18:25   Link #27
Seiryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post

Yep. There's only one Canon that really matters.
(Okay, how many people did I just troll?)
I love most harem shows. Small harems(Shuffle, Love Hina) for the conflict and comedy, supersized harems(Girls Bravo, Hanaukyo Maids) for quick laughs (seems these types tend to have a guy who's either eager to take every last one of the horde, or a guy who doesn't want anything to do with any of them. Both are hilarious when employed right).
Shuffle is not a childhood friend, however. A different character fits more, both in sense of history and in the way she truly needs Rin more than he realizes.
Spoiler:

I'm going to go back to one or two of my threads and adjust them to note tropes. For instance, my "Lady From a Tramp" fits very well with a romance involving a 'Good Bad Girl' or a 'Hooker with a Heart of Gold', I'd just not seen these before to know.
Old 2010-06-24, 17:26   Link #28
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Kaede was uh, a yandere psychobitch though. Anime doesn't reflect realism, but still, you can't say that Rin not choosing her was the sole cause of her breakdown.

If he did get with her, there's a high chance that everyone else would be dead and she would be tying him to a bed while drawing pictures with their blood on his naked body.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this would have been much better than the actual ending of Shuffle!
Old 2010-06-24, 18:17   Link #29
Qwey

Spoiler:
Old 2010-06-25, 05:46   Link #30
Seiryuu

Quote:
Kaede was uh, a yandere psychobitch though. Anime doesn't reflect realism, but still, you can't say that Rin not choosing her was the sole cause of her breakdown.

If he did get with her, there's a high chance that everyone else would be dead and she would be tying him to a bed while drawing pictures with their blood on his naked body.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this would have been much better than the actual ending of Shuffle!
I don't know why everyone looks at Kaede like that.
Spoiler:

I don't think Kaede completely fits the yandere term. As I understand it a yandere is psycho no matter what. Kaede was fine so long as she felt that Rin cared about her, and she never directed any violence at Rin except in the past when she hated him. If a yandere loves someone, they tie them down, cripple them, and kill everyone they know to make sure he stays forever. When Kaede loves someone, she serves them, seeks to please them, and only acts violent if she feels like every bit of significance she has to them is being taken away (for instance, if they're always eating out and doing things with someone instead of letting her do it with/for them). Besides, the explosion and meltdown that has everyone saying that is a creation for the anime, not part of the original character.
Old 2010-06-25, 07:10   Link #31
Divini
Senpai!

No, a psycho no matter what is, well, a psycho.

Yandere means they have a deredere 'face', but has a hidden crazy, psycho side. It fits Kaede perfectly.

While yes, her violent lashing out at Asa and Rin is an anime original, the character trait is still there.
Old 2010-06-25, 14:01   Link #32
Qwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
No, a psycho no matter what is, well, a psycho.

Yandere means they have a deredere 'face', but has a hidden crazy, psycho side. It fits Kaede perfectly.

While yes, her violent lashing out at Asa and Rin is an anime original, the character trait is still there.
I think its more that Kaede has yandere traits, but her deredere-ness is not only a facade.
Old 2010-06-25, 15:08   Link #33
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think you guys should stop going off topic, especially with the spoiling.

Now for what I came here for...

Ai Yori Aoshi
Akane-iro ni Somaru SakaKimikiss pure rouge
Lamune
RahXephon
True Tears

Not many have the fantasy or magic, but I the childhood friend is threatened. What sucks is this is a specific request and is going to ruin a lot of the fun.
Old 2010-06-26, 06:23   Link #34
Seiryuu

Indeed. If we're going to argue about whether various characters are yandere, etc., we can do that in the individual series' threads. I still hold that Kaede isn't quite "yandere", since a yandere wants to hurt their loved ones to keep them, whereas Kaede seems more like someone who would hurt herself to make him pay attention; plus, she doesn't get upset because someone took the man she loves, or because he left her, she gets upset because someone else took her place in his life, and because she feels that now there's no way she can ever get him to forgive her. You want Yandere, look to one of the nurses in KimiNozo. That is yandere, deliberately breaking your love physically, mentally, spiritually, until he can't ever leave and is forever your property.

PS, sorry for bringing that nut up. My original point was that part of my thing was a girl who, like Kaede or Ameri, has a great deal of past with the main character and has or develops major issues and insecurities trying to find a way to properly express their feelings.

This takes the struggles of childhood friends and extends it. Trying to decide whether you're "family"; trying to decide if the other person thinks you're just "family"; managing to have enough faith in the strength of your bonds to take the risk and express your feelings, and to persist until the person understands that your "love" is not siblings' "love". Add to this the struggle to make the person look back to you from their new love, the pain of knowing that you could be too late, and the knowledge that even if you say nothing the old bonds may not survive.

All this strain has a lot of effect, and it's made all the stronger by the nature of the new girl. The girl's a stranger who the hero just met, an outsider who's different from everyone else, and the hero feels some responsibility toward her that makes it so that, no matter what he thinks of her or what others think, he pretty much can't stop himself from being there for her.

What you wind up with is a chaotic mix of emotions and desires that can wreak havoc on the childhood friend's heart and psyche, make it almost impossible for her to understand herself and control herself enough to properly express her feelings, and make it so that the hero has no idea what's going on (because, as in far too many cases, he is an absolute moron).

The girl doesn't have to have any psychotic breaks or sell her soul to a demon or anything like that, but I want her to struggle, to feel some of that darkness and confusion inside of her, and I want either for the hero to eventually realize how important she is to him or for her to finally break down and tell him how she really feels. The guys always say to stop saying stuff about the girl, but they never seem to ask why they're saying it.
PS, I don't mind the identity of the final victor being known, since I usually go into a series knowing that that person is going to wind up losing out and becoming an undeserving scapegoat.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2010-06-27 at 07:21.
Closed Thread