AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 16:06   Link #241
Ledgem
Love Yourself

The website for ThePirateBay isn't under any new attacks, it's just that the law is going through with its punishment for the founders. Even if these websites go under, fan subbing existed before them, and before BitTorrent. People will just have to get used to good ol' IRC again Torrents and the like really eroded the IRC fansub community; while IRC isn't as user-friendly, the community feel was sort of nice. At least, it was sort of nice as a fansubber, to have people express their appreciation directly (as opposed to seeing a bunch of lifeless numbers indicating how many people downloaded your work via torrent).
Old 2012-02-02, 18:32   Link #242
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't had to torrent in.... a year or more? So, I'd say not. Variations on DDL (obscure websites, irc) - it just requires more hunting like it used to before torrents.
Old 2012-02-03, 00:17   Link #243
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I haven't had to torrent in.... a year or more? So, I'd say not. Variations on DDL (obscure websites, irc) - it just requires more hunting like it used to before torrents.
Deep net will probably last much longer, it just isn't safe for your computer's health to dwell in the deep.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 04:35   Link #244
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I've been using a virtual machine windows running on a linux box for all my downloads for some time now.
The main reason is it's low power consumption and noise level when doing over night downloads. But it is also a good way to fearlessly go and download to your hearts content from shady sources. If you get something nasty, just delete the VM-image and use one from yesterday.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 09:35   Link #245
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Spoiler for tidiness:
Interesting. Well, you can still see the Project DIVA Live concert (It's 32 videos long). Probably because it's posted by Project DIVA, therefore "legal."

Poor Miku, how did you get dragged into this mess?

Endless "Not a random internet troll" Soul
Old 2012-02-03, 11:59   Link #246
AnimeFan188

The responsible and the insane:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2508
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 07:38   Link #247
HasuMasu
*Artist

That's a great way of putting it, must share.
Old 2012-02-04, 12:27   Link #248
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Interesting. Well, you can still see the Project DIVA Live concert (It's 32 videos long). Probably because it's posted by Project DIVA, therefore "legal."

Poor Miku, how did you get dragged into this mess?

Endless "Not a random internet troll" Soul
Apparently even many of the youtubes of Toyota's Miku campaign got zapped. I'd call it pretty embarrassing for youtube's "we can't be bothered to review takedown requests to watch for trolls and we automated it all" process.
Old 2012-02-05, 23:23   Link #249
sa547
*Author

Just this morning, sis asked about one of the torrent sites being down, and I checked to find out that it indeed closed shop.

Damn. Looks like there's one left that's not gonna go down softly into the night.
Old 2012-02-06, 05:15   Link #250
HasuMasu
*Artist

Torrent sites are going down? I thought it couldn't happen...
Old 2012-02-06, 13:27   Link #251
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Self-protection... they've now been able to create an atmosphere of uncertainty. Even if *most* of your torrent traffic is legal, instead of just DMCA patrol and civil fines, you may be looking at arrests, seizure of assets, and other life-ruining before any trial happens. This paralysis and fear is exactly the kind of suppression wanted, even though it shuts down legitimate activities. Shoot everyone in the bank, one of them might be a robber
Old 2012-02-06, 13:36   Link #252
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Self-protection... they've now been able to create an atmosphere of uncertainty. Even if *most* of your torrent traffic is legal, instead of just DMCA patrol and civil fines, you may be looking at arrests, seizure of assets, and other life-ruining before any trial happens. This paralysis and fear is exactly the kind of suppression wanted, even though it shuts down legitimate activities. Shoot everyone in the bank, one of them might be a robber
Not everyone in the bank is an ordinary civilian. End up in the wrong bank with an ex-Spetsnaz operator opening a bank account for his grandchild, and he opens up a hole in you with his bare hands.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 23:23   Link #253
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/B...ows-74358.html

Well it has begun. No matter what some of you say about direct download and the like, it will become a lot harder.

People are rightfully scared.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 23:37   Link #254
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well it has begun. No matter what some of you say about direct download and the like, it will become a lot harder.
It may become harder in the immediate future, but people will find ways to get around it. The technologies adapt.

As an interesting example, I was searching for a series torrent and found it on Google. The problem was that the torrent site was unreachable. I'm unfamiliar with the site, so I can't say whether it was taken down forcibly, intentionally, or just suffering from a temporary technical error, but it didn't matter. Utilizing Google's cache results, I was able to access the magnet link. No download required, it's a tracker-less torrent, and the number of peers - while not huge - shows that it's alive and healthy. That's about as decentralized as you can get.

The problem, of course, is that methods that are too obscure will result in people being unable or unwilling to use them. If the media companies can offer their products at what most deem to be a good price, then both factors combined will successfully kill off most of the illegal activity. If they simply want to "use the stick and not offer any carrot" then it won't work. As difficult as they may make it, "free" is a very alluring thing.
Old 2012-02-06, 23:41   Link #255
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/B...ows-74358.html

People are rightfully scared.
We all knew it would come to this. There never was a chance. Politicians only care about money. Like everything else in the world, the internet is to be dominated and controlled.
Old 2012-02-06, 23:47   Link #256
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
We all knew it would come to this. There never was a chance. Politicians only care about money. Like everything else in the world, the internet is to be dominated and controlled.
Let them try. We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forgive. We will find them.
Old 2012-02-06, 23:54   Link #257
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Let them try. We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forgive. We will find them.
Have not stopped them so far...
Old 2012-02-09, 14:42   Link #258
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Remember European's manifestation is 02/11 !
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 01:59   Link #259
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Read up on other signatories and they include Singapore, South Korea and Morocco.

Least you can peacefully demonstrate on spots dedicated to them in downtown Singapore.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 19:23   Link #260
AnimeFan188

The Pirate Bay’s Peter Sunde: It’s Evolution, Stupid

"When I was 9 years old I got my first computer, an Amiga 500. It was the best
computer ever built, with great graphics, amazing sound and seven times faster
than the Commodore 64. One of my friends said that the Amiga was useless since
you needed to boot it from floppies. On the C64 you could program without even a
cassette.

Of course the C64 died while the Amiga flourished. The Amiga later died when even
better technology came along. We all know how evolution works, except one
industry that refuses to evolve: the entertainment industry.

Instead of looking at evolution as something inevitable, the industry has made it
their business to refuse and/or sue change, by any necessary means."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/02/peter-sunde/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blacklist, coica, government, internet, petition