AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2006-07-01, 13:36   Link #761
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
@Shay: You inbox is full, so I'll have to ask you here.... Where is your avatar from?
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 13:39   Link #762
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
In contrast to the Germans, once again England showed their ineptitude when it comes to penalties. Though this England loss would irk me more as two of the three misses are by Liverpool players. (Liverpool have been triumphant on penalty shoot-outs, however, so this irks me further. )
But Owen Hargreaves pwnd Riccardo ^^ ( Bayern Munich Player btw. )

Quote:
After watching a few penalty shoot-outs, I think the key factor in winning shootouts is not with the shooters, but with the goalkeeper. For the shooters all the pressure is on them to shoot, it's the only chance they have, and usually they'd buckle unless their nerves are really strong.
I heard 99% of the higher (>1.5m) penalty shoots in the angle won't be held by the keeper. England did too many flat shots. The problem with high shots is, that they can easily fail the goal (i.e. the two portuguese players who failed to goal...) But in the end higher risk for the shooters might work out.

Quote:
For the keeper, he has more than one chance to make amends if he misses, and if he's good, he can control the atmosphere and put the pressure on the shooter instead. Lehmann and Ricardo were successful in doing so, Robinson needs to go back and learn how to take penalties, even that Portuguese miss was because the ball bounced off the post.
I think it is inverserly to the success increasing pressure. The more the keeper fails the less likely he will catch a ball.

Quote:
But in the end I think it was all decided the moment Rooney decided to let it all go to his head and pushed his United teammate Cristiano Ronaldo and got sent off as a result.
I wonder if that will have effect on the play together in ManU.

Quote:
Good bye Eriksson and your boring tactics. Hope McClaren would be a bit more adventurous next time.

Portugal weren't that impressive either today though, maybe due to the absence of Deco and Costinha?
We will see in the UEFA I think.

Quote:
Now for Brazil vs France. Would Brazil get their revenge and then book a reunion with Scolari?
Very hard to tell after the last french match.

edit: They did it again... seems like Zidane is warming up now

Last edited by Jinto; 2006-07-01 at 15:54.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 14:12   Link #763
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Ricardo either got really lucky, or he has a god given gift for knowing how to block penalty kicks. I'm rooting for Portugal now.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:03   Link #764
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The champions Brazil are dumped out, once again by their bogey team France. Zidane was man of the match, France totally deserved the win in an exciting match.

No offence to the Brazilians but this would balance the football powers a bit, Brazil has won a bit too many World Cups for now. Now the WC is all European.

France will face another Brazilian, Scolari. This time, France would be favourites.

Germany vs Italy would be another interesting affair.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:11   Link #765
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I'm so happy with this result! Thank you France, thank you Zidane and Henry! Not even once in this WC did Brazil manage to wow me like they have done in the past, so I was glad to finally see them humbled. And by the team that made such a poor showing in the group stage, too! I'm all for Germany to win the finals now, though it'd be cool if Portugal could be added to the big seven. Portugal:France will definitely be interesting, but if France continues to play like they did with Spain and today with Brazil, Portugal won't do so hot.

I was sad to see Ukraine go. I kept hoping for a goal in those awesome fifteen or twenty minutes in the beginning of the second half, but alas. I hope to see Germany thrash Italy, to get revenge for poor Australia and Ukraine! Especially Australia, since they actually played really well for just about the whole game.

Today was a nice day for surprises, though, no doubt about that. My predictions were that England and Brazil would go through : P
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:22   Link #766
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I hope Portugal won't grassdive. Those things are dangerous.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 16:24   Link #767
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Well...didn't see that coming. Thought Brazil would get to finals but I was wrong (as usual it seems with this tournament). I suppose it's for the best as Brazil have won far too many times already. But whoever wins, I hope it's not Italy/Portugal. They just play dirty. Diving, fouling, you name it.
Old 2006-07-01, 17:00   Link #768
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Thumbs up Vive les bleus!

The frogs, the frogs, the frogs are on fire!!!

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!

Yeah, I don't mind being a bit of a patriot today, I live abroad, so I needed to say it.

Here's a little flag. ^^

What I'm the most proud of is the fact that there are only European teams remaining now. Yay. I'm craving for a Germany-France finals.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 17:12   Link #769
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
I'll root for Porugal since they did something today I was expecting/hoping for. To be honest, I was going to support the team that beat England.
Maxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 17:25   Link #770
raphaël
trainee archangel

Unhappy One day, England will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxon
I'll root for Porugal since they did something today I was expecting/hoping for. To be honest, I was going to support the team that beat England.
Actually, I was hoping for a semi-finals between France and England...

We already beat Portugal during the Euro 2000, remember?
Then we beat Italy in finals too at that time. That would become boring to win every time. lol
Old 2006-07-01, 17:36   Link #771
kaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Actually, I was hoping for a semi-finals between France and England...

We already beat Portugal during the Euro 2000, remember?
Then we beat Italy in finals too at that time. That would become boring to win every time. lol
kaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 18:03   Link #772
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Sadly, World Championship has become European Championship. Can it be a repeatition of Euro'04, this time Germany loses in the final. In that case, one of the least expected teams to win the championship (that was Greece, last time) is expected to win it (this time France). Anyway, since Argentina and Brazil has gone, I will give my support to Portugal - hope they get the cup they deserved two years ago.

Quote:
What I'm the most proud of is the fact that there are only European teams remaining now. Yay. I'm craving for a Germany-France finals.
Your proud is FIFA's shame now, considering especially the success of the teams from other continents (even South America is gone now). Still, a little difference in the final (for instance, Portugal) might help the image of World Cup, at least bring more excitement.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 18:53   Link #773
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiva128
But whoever wins, I hope it's not Italy/Portugal. They just play dirty. Diving, fouling, you name it.
We and Italy play dirty?! Do I note from that statement that France, Germany and Brazil don't use the same tactics, like any other team? I mean, really...!

This game, in particular, Portugal was playing with such care not to make fouls I was even impressed. The same couldn't be said about England...

About the next game: again France in a semi-final against Portugal!! Not them again! I'm getting sick of them (team)! XD Just joking, I hope it will be a good game. I also hope Deco can bring the criativity that lacked against England, otherwise, I don't know... (Figo is getting too old ),
Old 2006-07-01, 19:10   Link #774
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Whoever won, it was not going to be easy. That's what I thought for France - Brazil.
I am glad France won. People cheering up for Brazil were already seeing them as hexa champions.
Zidane knew every matches could be the last, so he is pouring all of his heart into it.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 19:11   Link #775
raphaël
trainee archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt
Your proud is FIFA's shame now, considering especially the success of the teams from other continents (even South America is gone now). Still, a little difference in the final (for instance, Portugal) might help the image of World Cup, at least bring more excitement.
Yeah, I know that, I wanted more African or South American teams in the finals but hey, Brazil always wins, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
About the next game: again France in a semi-final against Portugal!! Not them again! I'm getting sick of them (team)! XD Just joking, I hope it will be a good game.
lmao, so do I.

I just hope there won't be any or .
Old 2006-07-02, 04:04   Link #776
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki
What team that use old man? Brazil did it with Cafu too.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 04:54   Link #777
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
I just hope there won't be any or .
Me too.

From Portugal there shouldn't be much trouble. Scolari somehow managed to calm down the once normal short temper of Portugal (and there's no João Pinto this time ).

France also usually doesn't go for the stupid bashing between players like Holland or England.

Hope for a great match.
Old 2006-07-02, 06:26   Link #778
Syaoran
Inactive Member

I really hope nor France or Germany win the world cup
Let's hope Italy or Portugal get that title.

I'm so disapointed by Brasil this time T_T
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 09:14   Link #779
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug
We and Italy play dirty?! Do I note from that statement that France, Germany and Brazil don't use the same tactics, like any other team? I mean, really...!

This game, in particular, Portugal was playing with such care not to make fouls I was even impressed. The same couldn't be said about England...
They weren't trying to get fouls because they had 5 players already had yellow cards from the Netherlands game 2 got red. 1 more yellow and they miss the next game. And Figo should have been suspended for head butting that guy in the Netherlands game. When you're team is playing in a game with the most cards handed out EVER, that means your team could use a bit of self discipline. Not saying Netherlands didn't do anything wrong but when you have 7 cards on your side, you've been fouling like crazy. And no, other teams don't do that (as much anyways). Look at Brazil Vs. Ghana, almost no cards/fights or anything like that. Every time there seems to be a fight of sorts it's either Argentina or Portugal in the game from what I've seen. I got nothing against the countries, just their teams need to play with more respect.

And I still don't like Italy for that diving against Australia, that's just cheating. The guy didn't even hit him but he dived like he was a scuba diver just so he could get a penalty. Dirty tricks shouldn't be the measurement of who wins the world cup, it should be skill.
Old 2006-07-02, 09:55   Link #780
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The football/soccer referees, in all their arrogance, has so far refused to fully embrace video evidence as part of the officiating.

There main excuse is that without these controversial decisions, discussions about football would be more dull, citing that Geoff Hurst goal in the 1966 World Cup final between England and West Germany. I simply don't buy that bullshit. Neutral football fans would be happier people if there were less dodgy decisions.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer