Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 20:12   Link #401
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
"They [Microsoft] are not looking at Sony or Nintendo, but are frantically coming up with countermeasures for Apple and Google."

The Japanese person why stated this definitely has a point. It seems like that the XBox One is trying to be a sort of "Jack of All Trades" and a sort of counter to Google and Apple. The PS4, during it's presentation, came off as a console focusing mainly on games. It did have some social aspects, but those are optional. The Xbox One looked like it's trying to be too many things in an attempt to bring in some non-gamers. Hell, it looks like they're trying to bring in as many non-gamers as gamers.
I think it's an excellent point. And I think SONY needs to take that and run. Sell to the gaming community idea that their main opponent is trying too hard to please a wide-range of people and not focusing on the hardcore gamer, for whom consoles exist at all, whereas the PS4 is going back to basics and being the ultimate gaming device.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:16   Link #402
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Old 2013-05-22, 20:27   Link #403
Vajra
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
LOL that's great I love seeing Kevin Spacey (Microsoft) taunt me about the pearls of Xbox One while Brad Pitt (the gamers) goes apeshit! /stolen!
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:35   Link #404
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Playstation 4 should be a more capable machine.

I really hope the XBox One doesn't do too well and that the Playstation 4 does much better. For one, a lot of XBox One 'features' are what I call anti-consumer. I don't want XBox One to do really well and then see a lot of those things become the new standards. But on top of that, I don't want XBox One to be the lead platform for game development. With it being less capable than PS4, that means cross-platform titles on XBO and PS4, well, PS4 games won't be optimized as well. If PS4 sells much better than XBO, we'll see more PS4 games being better optimized for the PS4 hardware.

I'm a bit worried about Sony putting in a considerable amount of 'anti-consumer' features into PS4, but with this backlash, I assume any that they are planning, they'll scale it back some.
Old 2013-05-22, 20:41   Link #405
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I think it's an excellent point. And I think SONY needs to take that and run. Sell to the gaming community idea that their main opponent is trying too hard to please a wide-range of people and not focusing on the hardcore gamer, for whom consoles exist at all, whereas the PS4 is going back to basics and being the ultimate gaming device.
Personally, I find the comparison on par with claiming that the Galaxy S4 isn't a good smartphone because if has gimmicky features. All Microsoft is doing with the multimedia stuff is combining some pretty well established tech to extend the functionality of the device. I can't see a logical connection between that and the console's shortcomings compared to the PS4 (ie. weaker GPU, which is a function of some questionable design decision on the One's custom APU). But the hardcore gaming community is so full of angry nerds and purists it might work. Besides which a lot of a lot of politicians have made careers out of pretending to be the only person who cares about someone's problems.

Edit:
@Urzu7

Some developers put in extra graphics features for the PC crowd. No reason they couldn’t do the same for PS4. Won't look as good as using PS4 baseline, perhaps, but it's something.

That, and I think setting PS4 as baseline would force a lot of PC gamers to upgrade their GPUs earlier. There's no true "win-win" scenario here.

(Also, I'd remind people to remember that the eSRAM is designed to reduce the need for huge memory bandwidth - the TFLOPs is theimportant differentiator IMO, not the memory bandwidth.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2013-05-22 at 20:52.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:53   Link #406
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Positively epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Personally, I find the comparison on par with claiming that the Galaxy S4 isn't a good smartphone because if has gimmicky features. All Microsoft is doing with the multimedia stuff is combining some pretty well established tech to extend the functionality of the device. I can't see a logical connection between that and the console's shortcomings compared to the PS4 (ie. weaker GPU, which is a function of some questionable design decision on the One's custom APU). But the hardcore gaming community is so full of angry nerds and purists it might work. Besides which a lot of a lot of politicians have made careers out of pretending to be the only person who cares about someone's problems.
I understand what you're saying, but I think there is something to be said about "focus." What is the One, really? What is it to the consumer and what is it to Microsoft? If Microsoft views it too broadly, I think there is a real risk that not enough attention, money, and effort is spent on the gaming aspect, which is why consoles exist in the first place.

Old 2013-05-22, 20:58   Link #407
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Personally, I find the comparison on par with claiming that the Galaxy S4 isn't a good smartphone because if has gimmicky features. All Microsoft is doing with the multimedia stuff is combining some pretty well established tech to extend the functionality of the device. I can't see a logical connection between that and the console's shortcomings compared to the PS4 (ie. weaker GPU, which is a function of some questionable design decision on the One's custom APU).
There's nothing wrong per-se with multimedia functions in a console, it is only an issue because that's pretty much most of what they talked about. Imagine if Ford revealed a brand new Mustang, and talked about nothing other than the SYNC functions during the press conference.

Quote:
But the hardcore gaming community is so full of angry nerds and purists it might work. Besides which a lot of a lot of politicians have made careers out of pretending to be the only person who cares about someone's problems.
No, the community isn't lashing out against MS because of the multimedia functions, they're lashing out against the shitty features-that-are-now-potential-scenarios that is the used game fee, the daily on DRM etc.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:59   Link #408
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I don't think spec difference is going to matter too much at this point. Whatever major multiplatform title is going to scale to whichever the weaker system will be.

Microsoft though just gave Sony a big lead by not changing their policy regarding indie titles by maintaining their current stance in regards of digital publishing. If MS don't gain market traction quickly, they are going to lose the indie market.
Old 2013-05-22, 20:59   Link #409
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:16   Link #410
JagdPanther

Seriously, who makes these things? Who finds the perfect clips for this? The ending of that Dark Knight one with Bane's eyes looking over at the Wii-U comment was PERFECT.

Old 2013-05-22, 21:19   Link #411
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

My guess is that users of the Neogaf forums are responsible for some of those good gifs (not necessarily those two above, but ones like it).
Old 2013-05-22, 21:21   Link #412
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Had them on twitter yesterday.

=_=;

http://sadpanda.us/images/1614514-NB58U4X.jpg

they can't even answer that.
Old 2013-05-22, 21:41   Link #413
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

My thoughts on the reveal is pretty much this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

I hope the direction that Microsoft is going in works. Even though I'm not a Xbox guy, competition is good.
Old 2013-05-22, 21:44   Link #414
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

=_=;

That's a case of "level one techs no nothing" (which is a problem everywhere in tech). It's been announced that you can expand storage via USB drives. (I'd also presume that there's some sort of uninstall function.)

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:45   Link #415
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
I hope the direction that Microsoft is going in works. Even though I'm not a Xbox guy, competition is good.
as a gamer i hope the direction MS is going will lead to a flaming trainwreck. Nintendo and Sony can keep up the competition, but making always-on (oops, sorry, "daily" ) drm and used game fee into an accepted practice would be terrible.

It's like saying gamers should have embraced EA's Simcity schtick for "competition".
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 21:50   Link #416
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

=_=;

That's a damn good question. What will you do if your hard drive runs out of space??
Old 2013-05-22, 22:19   Link #417
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
Competition is good, but when you hope for one wrong direction to work just because it's a "competition", something is definitely not right here. The only reason we want competitions is because they are aiming to satisfy the customers at the best of their ability, not to force the users to follow what they want.

It's early to say will they success or not, but I know for sure that they won't get a single cent from me.
Old 2013-05-22, 22:21   Link #418
Destined_Fate

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/do...re-really-bac/

Well I guess that's one way to look at BC.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:23   Link #419
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Take the time to read this.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinec...ense-violation

Quote:
This Kinect Patent is Terrifying, Wants to Charge You For License Violation

A patent filed by Microsoft last year, but only made public last week, wants to turn your Xbox 360's Kinect into an instrument via which large companies can monitor your media usage and, if you're found to be in violation of something, charge you for it.

And no, I am not making that up.

The patent application, titled "CONTENT DISTRIBUTION REGULATION BY VIEWING USER", is a means of using Kinect to monitor not just what you're watching (or listening to) on your Kinect, but more importantly, how many people.

Here's the important part, straight from the application itself:

The technology, briefly described, is a content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. The limitation may comprise a number of user views, a number of user views over time, a number of simultaneous user views, views tied to user identities, views limited to user age or any variation or combination thereof, all tied to the number of actual content consumers allowed to view the content. Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. In one embodiment, a license manager on the consuming device or on a content providers system manages license usage and content consumption. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.

Kinect is never mentioned specifically, but seeing as a camera is going to need to track and identify people in the room, it can't really be anything else.

Basically, when you buy or rent something like a movie, you'll only be granted a "license" for a certain number of people to watch it. If Kinect detects more people in the room than you had a license for, it can stop the movie, and even charge you extra.

So if Microsoft has its way, you won't just be renting movies any more. You'll have to decide how many people are watching, and no doubt pay more. And if one extra person turns up to your movie night? So help you God, you are going to pay.

If that is true of the patent and MS actually implements that, then I say fuck Microsoft (eh, I said that yesterday about them anyway lol).
Old 2013-05-22, 22:26   Link #420
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

They can't be serious. That has to be a rumor.