AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-10-31, 17:03   Link #1201
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Wait a minute is the PlayStation 4 is going to be able to play Blu-ray/DVD's or is that not going to be available at launch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Knight View Post
And in other news, Adam Sessler (never liked the guy) freaks out about the ps4, suppose rush release. To me it seems like they are over reacting about this.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/ar...hed-ps4-launch
As for that article, it's possible that Sessler is just over reacting to this, just as you say.
We'll just have to see how things go after launch, for the PS4.

I have a PS4 pre-ordered at Best Buy, cause they hold pre-ordered products (I don't remember but I know its longer than gamestop) close to a week, and to also rank up in points. But chances are that I may not pick it up, cause of unfortunate circumstances on my end. But patience is a virtue, so there is always next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Well Titan Fall could be in a similar situation like that of the Mass Effect series later on.
Thats if were lucky, if were unlucky it might just be how Capcom's Dead Rising was just a 360 only game, and it sequels (with the exception to DR3 for the time being) were multi-platform.

But at least Titanfall is for pc even though I might have to wait until I get a new computer.
ScorchingFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 17:10   Link #1202
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchingFlames View Post
Wait a minute is the Play Station 4 is going to be able to play Blu-ray/DVD's or is that not going to be available at launch?

As for that article, it's possible that Sessler is just over reacting to this, just as you say.
We'll just have to see how things go after launch, for the PS4.

I have a PS4 pre-ordered at Best Buy, cause they hold pre-ordered products close to a week, and to also rank up in points. But chances are that I may not pick it up, cause of unfortunate circumstances on my end. But patience is a virtue, so there is all ways next year.
Watch your back when you go and pick it up.

Also, yes, I think people are worrying too much about this. If anything, they will most likely improve it sooner or later since developers actually posted a response about this.
Quote:
Thats if were lucky, if were unlucky it might just be how Capcom's Dead Rising was just a 360 only game, and it sequels (with the exception to DR3 for the time being) were multi-platform.

But at least Titanfall is for pc even though I might have to wait until I get a new computer.
Never did like the Dead Rising game, however we also got a Capcom exclusive as well which is Deep Down and its free.

As for Titanfall, yeah, can never be so sure about it. I think majority of PS4 will just accept it and play on PC if it doesn't come to the PS4.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:10   Link #1203
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Wait a minute is the PlayStation 4 is going to be able to play Blu-ray/DVD's or is that not going to be available at launch?
You need to download the day-one patch to activate it.

Quote:
Well, it is good to see that they are taking customer consideration into high account and actually respond to them unlike Microsoft. Maybe they will add media features later on.
They'd better. Losing the media server functionality may be trivial to those who don't use it, but not even being able to play CDs and/or MP3s? That's just stupid.
Old 2013-10-31, 23:13   Link #1204
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Well, I see nagging does work, as Yosp has told us there will implement those features (both DLNA and MP3), just not at launch.

How about it's time to nag about multiple account on Vita? It baffles me that I can't play my region free games on my NA account without getting gimped one way or another. Recently I bought Masoukishin 3, and I can't redeem my bonus code for the game because of that.
Old 2013-11-01, 20:25   Link #1205
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I wonder how available PS4s will be late in the Christmas season. I think I'll either get one around then or wait until I move onto my next rotation at work in the Spring.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 06:15   Link #1206
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
For a moment there I thought you were claiming that until 1994 PC Gaming wasn't viable which is off course a silly statement to make and completely ignores the existance of great DOS games like... I don't know... Doom (1993), Monkey Island (1990), Prince of Persia (1989), Sim City (1989) or Populous (1989).
I wasn't saying great games weren't released. But the market only started mattering in the mid-90s for two reasons:
  • It got out of the dark DOS ages where it wasn't uncommon to have configuration problems that prevented your game from running.
  • 2D and 3D graphics acceleration cards appeared on the mass market.
Until then, for most companies the PC was an afterthought, and as a gamer you were better served with consoles that were designed for gaming instead of what was designed to be an office computer.
Old 2013-11-02, 09:10   Link #1207
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
And unless you're posting on your phone, I doubt you would need $1500 for something to be able to play Battlefield 4 at Ultra. Upgrading PC mean you should only calculate the upgrading parts only, not the whole machine.
Depends. If when you first build your PC you skimped to get "the cheapest" you may need to re-buy some more parts. Then you have the whole mobo and CPU kind of tend to change together unless you're an enthusiast and re-buying the very latest every 6 months. A lot of "saving" with pcs is also in overclocks, though to be fair that has become more mainstream and "simple" these days you still need "reasonable" parts.

That being said getting a really nice pc is really advantageous compared to having a console box. For one you can play all your current/older games at very nice quality or better quality especially if you had any you weren't maxing out at this time; secondly everything you do (including browsing the internet if you're upgrading to a ssd or bumping the ram, watching streams, videos, etc even sound if you just get better hardware in that regard) and just about every other activity you might have.

Also, concerning the phone thing. Many people use laptops and everyone these days is very "laptop oriented." I've hardly hear of anyone talk about getting a PC that's not a phone, tablet or laptop. Sadly even the most high end laptops don't really compare favoribly with just a desktop or for the most part a console when it comes to gaming (largely because of the screen; assuming you play your console games on 50"+ nice quality tv). Then again who knows, small factor/stylish pcs do seem to be on the rise these days.
Old 2013-11-02, 12:13   Link #1208
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I wasn't saying great games weren't released. But the market only started mattering in the mid-90s for two reasons:
  • It got out of the dark DOS ages where it wasn't uncommon to have configuration problems that prevented your game from running.
  • 2D and 3D graphics acceleration cards appeared on the mass market.
Until then, for most companies the PC was an afterthought, and as a gamer you were better served with consoles that were designed for gaming instead of what was designed to be an office computer.
I think you're mistaking something here. If you look at companies like Square, Enix or EA yes, PCs were an afterthought. However you have to remember that many great publishers also existed that catered almost exclusively for the personal computing platforms. Companies like Microprose or Sierra published almost exclusively for them and then most of the small time companies of the time published themselves or via several local partners using mostly the Shareware model. The likes of ID Software, Blizzard or Bullfrog were pretty darn successful for the time.

PC wasn't an afterthought, it simply had different games done by different people because back then multi-platform titles were a very rare exception rather than the norm. Right up to the PS2 most games were platform exclusives. I think you would find that multiplatform titles really started hitting the PC when Microsoft introduced the XBox with it's DirectX based API.

In fact plenty of older titles were made for the PC and other personal computing platforms and latter ported for consoles like, for example, Sim City 200, Theme Hospital or Theme Park. I always chuckle when I hear people mention how they loved the gimped down versions of those games on the original Playstation.

And remember that, prior to the great video game market crash that took down Atari, most "video games" were actually played on personal computing platforms that anyone could code for (pretty much the equivalent of the modern day IBM-PC).
Old 2013-11-04, 10:10   Link #1209
videoman190

So anybody going to the midnight releases? I already got mine per-ordered at Amazon.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 11:48   Link #1210
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Spike TV to host PlayStation 4 launch special on November 14: ‘night of world premieres and announcements’

Quote:
Spike TV is planning a PlayStation 4 launch special for November 14 at 11 p.m. Eastern time, host Geoff Keighley revealed on Twitter.

“PlayStation 4 All Access,” as it’s called, promises to be “an epic night of PlayStation world premieres and announcements,” according to Keighley.

Asked if that means we’ll see new PlayStation 4 games, Keighley said, “Definitely.”
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 09:04   Link #1211
GDB

Hrmm, got a launch copy pre-ordered on Amazon, but I don't really want it. Can't decide if I should just eBay it or cancel it. Not sure if it'd be worth the hassle of eBay after they take their (and Paypal's) cut.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 13:24   Link #1212
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
That being said getting a really nice pc is really advantageous compared to having a console box.
Depends. Until recently, a console just played games and did that with minimal fuss. PCs, in my experience, break all the time because you're expected to upgrade to the latest hardware before it does. And of course you have to install and maintain the thing. I spent a lot of time the past week and today preparing Windows installation discs for two computers.
Quote:
For one you can play all your current/older games at very nice quality or better quality especially if you had any you weren't maxing out at this time
Depends. The backwards compatibility isn't perfect. Some games were hardcoded for certain systems/components, especially during the DOS days, and getting them to work (and you won't always succeed in the end) can be a pain and a big waste of time.
Old 2013-11-05, 14:17   Link #1213
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

PS4 videos show controller, journeys, portability, and games

Old 2013-11-05, 18:35   Link #1214
BeyondTheGrave007
anonymous

10 more days till the ps4 comes out right?
BeyondTheGrave007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 12:35   Link #1215
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Here we have Yasuhiro Ootori, showing us whats in the PS4 buy dismantling it, on WIERED.

http://video.wired.com/watch/gadget-...w-game-console

As well as photos

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/ps4-gallery/

And Mark Ceny, breaking down the the PS4 hardware.

http://video.wired.com/watch/gadget-...dware?c=browse
Old 2013-11-07, 15:39   Link #1216
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Here we have Yasuhiro Ootori, showing us whats in the PS4 buy dismantling it, on WIERED.

http://video.wired.com/watch/gadget-...w-game-console

As well as photos

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/ps4-gallery/

And Mark Ceny, breaking down the the PS4 hardware.

http://video.wired.com/watch/gadget-...dware?c=browse
Ok, If I understood it correctly there are four screws on the back of the console that allow access to it's internals. They have covers on top of them and two of them are used to check for warranty. I'm assuming (and this is speculation on my part) that the other two are used to remove that glossy black bit of the top of the console. The hard-drive seems to be accessible this way going by the short animation at the end of the video showing how everything comes together.

If more than two seals are used for warranty checks then Sony has just made the hard drive inaccessible for end users without voiding the warranty but I doubt that they would actually do that after confirming that it would be user-replaceable.
Old 2013-11-07, 17:24   Link #1217
ScorchingFlames
Jack of Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Ok, If I understood it correctly there are four screws on the back of the console that allow access to it's internals. They have covers on top of them and two of them are used to check for warranty. I'm assuming (and this is speculation on my part) that the other two are used to remove that glossy black bit of the top of the console. The hard-drive seems to be accessible this way going by the short animation at the end of the video showing how everything comes together.

If more than two seals are used for warranty checks then Sony has just made the hard drive inaccessible for end users without voiding the warranty but I doubt that they would actually do that after confirming that it would be user-replaceable.
That's the same thought that popped into mind as well, cause I know some people that might want to put a terabyte hard drive into the PS4. So if they are forced to open their system they might void the warrinty. I originally thought that removing the hard drive was going to be similar to ps3.

I also have to wonder how gamestops console trading policies are go to be like in the future, cause I know they only take consoles that are still factory sealed. So if there are no seals they normally won't take them.

However I think that there may very well be a removable panel on the PS4, that houses the hard drive. It's possible they may have just skipped that process in the video by accident.
Old 2013-11-08, 03:12   Link #1218
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

They showed the hard drive sliding out the side. I think the video suggests that the hard drive can be removed by only removing ONE crew, if what they said was what I think they said.
Old 2013-11-09, 09:16   Link #1219
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

You can upgrade the HDD on your own without voiding the warranty.
Anyone speaks German here can translate the gist of the website?
http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/c...4-7712087.html

It is kinda funny reading reddit's reaction to a single screw hdd removal considering that's been the default norm for laptops for ages. But then again, I doubt many people dismantled a laptop on their own before.
Old 2013-11-09, 09:26   Link #1220
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've tried to do that before, but only because it was a desperate situation and I was trapped in Egypt.