AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-19, 23:26   Link #1
retardation
phantom loser

retardation's periodic pleas for help

here are some series that i am interested in but unsure whether i should view them or at least whether i should give them any priority

1. crescent love

i actually watched four episodes of this. i was mildly amused at the first three but the fourth changed everything and got way over the top. i am not the biggest fan of that wild and crazy stuff but i like all that lame cute stuff. should i continue with it?

2. trinity blood

the other vampire series i saw from gonzo was hellsing and i was not particularly fond of that. if this is some sort of high fantasy, vampire hunter d type jump off i'd probably be more inclined towards it and less interested if it was a monster of the week type deal. mainly, i'd just like to know if the series is good overall.

3. bakumatsu kikansetsu irohanihoheto

the poster thingy for this has a guy holding a sword looking pretty badass but that's all i know about the series other than it looks like it has a good following here. i don't really want to know more about it if i am going to watch it because i am a spoiler hating kind of guy. so... is it good?

4. red garden

i hear a lot of people who have very positive things to say about this anime but i am not the sort of guy who likes mysteries unless there's something going on in them to keep my attention. higurashi and ghost hunt were two recent series i saw and even though i didn't hate them i just found them really boring for certain stretches of time. i know those were pretty popular too so if this series is anything like those i'll probably put it on the back burner.

5. nana

i saw paradise kiss--which i think is by the same manga author--and i totally hated that. in paradise kiss, i found both the main character and the male lead to be extremely unlikable. you guys think i should give nana a chance? i did love beck which seems like a similiar series. beck is probably why i'm interested in this anime in the first place.

6. jyu oh sei

i've liked everything else i've watched from bones studio but i noticed that this is listed as shoujo. if people think this series is any good i'll probably check it out soon. i tell you the main thing holding me back from checking it out is the poster with some dude rocking war paint, some cloth witn a native american style print, holding a knife, and in the middle of outerspace.

7. rahxephon

another bones title. bones is batting well for me with other series. what makes me hesitant is a lot of people talking about it being an evangelion rip off. what exactly is the thing that's similiar? the mechas design? the plot? if this series has characters that exactly parallel the characters in evangelion, i'll probably be disgusted.

thanks in advance.

also if you have seen a few of these, what order would you watch them in if you were me?
Old 2007-05-19, 23:28   Link #2
someguyouknow
eh?

The only one i have seen part of is Trinity Blood and i am not fond of it at all. Waste of my time... and bandwidth.
Old 2007-05-19, 23:44   Link #3
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
1. crescent love
I think I dropped it about the same time as you. Really dry/uninteresting.
Quote:
2. trinity blood
I didn't like this one at all. I think I watched about 10 or so episodes. (on the other hand, I loved Hellsing )
Quote:
3. bakumatsu kikansetsu irohanihoheto
Totally turned off by this one. Dropped it after 2 episodes. (didn't like any of the characters)
Quote:
4. red garden
I liked Red Garden. There's alot of raw emotion, and it takes a rather realistic approach to girls suddenly obtaining powers and being set against monters. (lots of screeching and swinging of purses ) It was kind of refreshing, and decently entertaining throughout.
Quote:
5. nana
The band aspect is very minor, and Nana (Hachi) is kind of a slut, but still innocent, somehow. I dunno, it is a very well done show, and do enjoy it most of the time. Certain episodes are just awesome. But it's up in the air whether you will like it. I probably wouldn't have liked it much if I hadn't already read most the manga and knew what would happen. (would have been turned off by Nana's flakiness)
Quote:
6. jyu oh sei
At first, I thought this anime was great, but about halfway through it became horrible.
Quote:
7. rahxephon
It's much better than Evangelion, at least. I hardly remember Evangelion, so I can't really say how similar it was, but I didn't draw huge similarity between the two. (other than being in the same genre of course)
Old 2007-05-19, 23:54   Link #4
crystar
*yawns*

If you want a contrasting opinion, I liked Trinity Blood. The first part of the series was rather predictable and didn't have much going for it to make it stand out above others. But I enjoyed the second part. I thought some of the more emotional scenes were pretty well done.

As for Nana, while I think it's an incredible series, if you can't like the characters you probably won't like the show. And I'm not sure whether you will like the characters are not. They are (like real people) constantly making decisions that would make you pull your hair out, but I guess you could say this makes it more realistic. Every person seems to make stupid decisions a lot of the times (especially in times of great emotion or weakness) with consequences.
Old 2007-05-20, 00:06   Link #5
Frans

I like Trinity Blood. The biggest problem is that there is no ending. Overall it is a good show, but it feels really incomplete.
Rahxephon also a good show. It has an Evangelion feel, but it's nowhere near an Evangelion rip off as some people suggested. I would prefer Evangelion because it's somewhat less confusing than Rahxephon, and the mech design isn't as weird as Rahxephon.
Jyu Oh Sei is good, but it's too damn short. It's good and if you like somewhat bittersweet ending, you'll like Jyu Oh Sei. Don't let the poster fools you

I haven't watched the other show, so between the three of them, it's hard to choose the order. If you would like the last one you watch to be emotional, maybe the order would be Rahxephon, Trinity Blood, Jyu Oh Sei. You could swap Rahxephon and Trinity Blood, but Jyu Oh Sei should be the last one.
Old 2007-05-20, 02:40   Link #6
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Crescent Love and Trinity Blood are a waste of time. I stopped watching TB after episode 6 or so. Crescent Love i finished, but the last ep was so down right stupid, and some charcater actions so retarded i dented my room's wall by banging my head against it.

RahXephon is, probably, the best choice of the bunch - it is a good piece of work that i fully enjoyed. Characters don't resemble those in evangelion. I Would rank RahXephon above eva for sure.
Old 2007-05-20, 03:32   Link #7
andromeda0201

I agree with crystar that Trinity Blood was mediocre in the beginning but gets really good in the next half, problem is theres no proper ending (since apparantly the author died and didn't finish the novel)....so if you want complete endings, this one isnt a good choice

Bakumatsu - well I liked it but I have to admit some of the episodes were disappointing, especially some of the last few. Its still worth a watch though, just for the awesome music and historical references that I found very interesting. Good if you like loosely based periodic dramas with super powers involved

Jyu Oh Sei - started out really well but last few episodes got a bit confusing and...rather weird. Still, its a very short series so you can try out, I can't see anything very shoujo-ish though, its pretty action packed

RahXephon - watched this a long time ago so can't really remember, if you really want references to Evangelion, all I can say is, the main character isn't such a whiny idiot as the one in Evangelion, and that is enough to make me pick this over the latter
Old 2007-05-20, 05:02   Link #8
raffy06

Quote:

2. trinity blood

the other vampire series i saw from gonzo was hellsing and i was not particularly fond of that. if this is some sort of high fantasy, vampire hunter d type jump off i'd probably be more inclined towards it and less interested if it was a monster of the week type deal. mainly, i'd just like to know if the series is good overall.
In my opinion, I would seriously say that TRINITY BLOOD is a waste of time. The plot is overtly clichéd - archetypal characters key to a vampire series are there yet there is little character development. In other words, nothing would be lost if you decide to skip this series. For something similar (yet better in terms of plot development), try BLOOD+.
I hope this helps. Have fun~
Old 2007-05-20, 05:19   Link #9
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Cresent love: I liked it. But if you dislike it after the 4th episode you probably won't like the rest either. I watched it all and i really enjoyed it. And i agree with Skyfall. The ending was downright stupid and they could of change it to make it a bit more believable. But all in all i enjoyed the Cresent love.
Spoiler:

Jyu oh sei/Juuousei: Don't worry you wont see him warpainted like that and holding a sword in the anime. But i think the story is quite unique and theres a good amount of plot twists for a 11 episode anime. Another one i enjoyed.
Ps: i actually think that looked quite neat the warpaint and the sword...
Spoiler:

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2007-05-20, 08:39   Link #10
miaka

regarding jyo-oh-sei --- it was labelled as shoujo because it was serialized in Lala magazine which is a very shoujo magazine. However, the story don't have any of the shoujo-ish element except the bishie characters (matching popular idols as voice actors). Its more concentrated on action/sci-fi. go ahead and watch it since its only a short series.

Bakumatsu -- a serious series with some historical references but with some supernatural elements in the middle of the series.
Old 2007-05-20, 11:46   Link #11
ibreatheanime

Trinity Blood: I was drawn into it because of the whole vampire element. However I was dissapointed.

Nana: I really liked the series, however it is extremly dramatic (like paradise kiss) lots of crying...
Old 2007-05-20, 12:04   Link #12
mdauben

Quote:
1. crescent love
I found it worth watching once, but it's by no means on my favorites list. The characters are... okay but the second half gets a bit too serious for me, and the ending smacked too much of deus ex machina to be totally satisfying.

Quote:
2. trinity blood
I found this dissapointing from beginning to end. I sounded promising, but the characters, storyline and ending were all poorly concieved and executed. I know its gotten a lot of bad feedback in the fan community.

Quote:
7. rahxephon
I know this series has a lot of fans, so you should probably check it out for yourself to see if it's to your taste. I found it a bit too... pretentious perhaps? I don't know but the story and characters just didn't grab me.

Sorry, I haven't seen any of the others you listed.
Old 2007-05-21, 22:37   Link #13
Crovax
A2000A
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Crovax Send a message via AIM to Crovax Send a message via MSN to Crovax Send a message via Yahoo to Crovax
bakumatsu kikansetsu irohanihoheto

Only one in your list I have seen. It's fairly interesting, especially the whole branding as a 'historical' anime. But supernatural powers and the such start playing an increasingly large role as you get further into the series, which I experienced as a turnoff. As a result I didn't finish watching it. (Not yet anyway.) Still probably worth watching if swordsmen kicking ass are your thing.
Old 2007-05-22, 09:27   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Re: Rahxephon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
I know this series has a lot of fans, so you should probably check it out for yourself to see if it's to your taste. I found it a bit too... pretentious perhaps? I don't know but the story and characters just didn't grab me.
Well, it's certainly a lot less pretentious than Evangelion. The artwork in Rahxephon is truly beautiful in places, and the music added a lot to the experience as well. Now that I've seen more series by BONES, I can appreciate more why I enjoyed Rahxephon. It's still in my B/B+ category of series, though.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-05-22 at 12:16.
Old 2007-05-22, 09:51   Link #15
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i liked jyu oh sei....
trinity blood and bakumatsu sucked for me...
nana is ok but isnt my cup of tea.
Old 2007-05-22, 22:10   Link #16
negativeone

Trinity Blood: do not watch this is a total let down, i am an anime noob and i completly hated it is a total waste of time.

Bakumatsu: i havent finish watching this one but so far i am liking it, you should watch it if you like sword figths and history.

Rahxephon: if you like NGE you should watch this one, in my opinion this is better than NGE.

Red Garden: is decent, but sometimes is boring and the musicals well for lack of a better word are just gay (IMO) i dropped it.
Old 2007-05-30, 21:17   Link #17
ShounenOnmyoujiiscoo
ShounenOnmyouji22

Trinity Blood was really good i watched all of it and is really worth watching
Old 2007-05-30, 22:35   Link #18
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post

Sorry, I haven't seen any of the others you listed.
In all honesty, I don't disagree with this. I think one has to be a fan of Eva, or at the very least, a fan of its intentions, to enjoy RahXephon. Personally, I think it's storytelling and characters left a lot to be desired. Pretty as all hell to look at and listen to, though.
Quote:
here are some series that i am interested in but unsure whether i should view them or at least whether i should give them any priority

1. crescent love

i actually watched four episodes of this. i was mildly amused at the first three but the fourth changed everything and got way over the top. i am not the biggest fan of that wild and crazy stuff but i like all that lame cute stuff. should i continue with it?
You'd do your sanity quite a favour by not watching this.
Quote:
2. trinity blood

Haven't seen this, but the word on the street is that it's quite average.
Quote:
4. red garden

i hear a lot of people who have very positive things to say about this anime but i am not the sort of guy who likes mysteries unless there's something going on in them to keep my attention. higurashi and ghost hunt were two recent series i saw and even though i didn't hate them i just found them really boring for certain stretches of time. i know those were pretty popular too so if this series is anything like those i'll probably put it on the back burner.
I dare say this is one of Gonzo's best works. It is driven by mystery, but more than that, it's driven by characters. It's one of those action/drama series that, by the end of it, you know pretty much everything there is to know about the characters. I think it's a great series, but if you're not a fan of mystery, I wouldn't set your expectations too high. Still worth a watch, I say. (Warning: it doesn't start off great.)

Quote:
5. nana

i saw paradise kiss--which i think is by the same manga author--and i totally hated that. in paradise kiss, i found both the main character and the male lead to be extremely unlikable. you guys think i should give nana a chance? i did love beck which seems like a similiar series. beck is probably why i'm interested in this anime in the first place.
Paradise Kiss was disappointing, IMO, but from what I hear, this is a whole different ballgame. I haven't seen more than ten eps, which I regret, since it was hella intriguing, but it became one of those series that fell by the wayside for me when the fansubbers got behind. I really should make an effort to sit down and watch it one day, since it's incredibly critically acclaimed.

Quote:
6. jyu oh sei

i've liked everything else i've watched from bones studio but i noticed that this is listed as shoujo. if people think this series is any good i'll probably check it out soon. i tell you the main thing holding me back from checking it out is the poster with some dude rocking war paint, some cloth witn a native american style print, holding a knife, and in the middle of outerspace.
Prepare to be disappointed with this one. Great concept, not enough episodes to execute it properly in.

Quote:
7. rahxephon

another bones title. bones is batting well for me with other series. what makes me hesitant is a lot of people talking about it being an evangelion rip off. what exactly is the thing that's similiar? the mechas design? the plot? if this series has characters that exactly parallel the characters in evangelion, i'll probably be disgusted.

thanks in advance.
See above

Quote:
also if you have seen a few of these, what order would you watch them in if you were me?
1. Nana
2. Red Garden
3. RahXephon
4. Jyu Oh Sei
5. Trinity Blood
Not at all: Cresent Love.

No idea about Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto. I haven't seen it and no nothing about it.
Old 2007-05-31, 09:15   Link #19
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, it's certainly a lot less pretentious than Evangelion.
Well, I didn't really care for NGE, either.

Quote:
The artwork in Rahxephon is truly beautiful in places, and the music added a lot to the experience as well.
I would not argue that, it does look and sound very nice. If you can get into the story and characters it is probably very much worth watching. On the other hand, if you can't get into them (which was my problem) it quickly becomes rather painful to watch.
Old 2007-06-15, 12:26   Link #20
retardation
phantom loser

how do you feel about the following series pt 2

yeah that worked out pretty well last time. you may see a few more of these types of threads out of me.

1. busou renkin

reading the short description for this series and looking at the poster, it looks something like bleach and fma but i dunno. i do like a good action series but i am going to be fairly turned off if it's just a regular high school action type affair. like i'd only want to look at if it's really good or there's something that sets it apart. every day japanese high school student and gets mysterious powers and fights some monsters type stories... i've had enough of them... well unless it's ultraviolent with blood and gore everywhere. if that's the case then sign me up.

2. kanon 2006

this seems rather popular on this board. i saw one episode of the original kanon only. i thought it was gonna be a cousin/cousin thing so i tried to drop it but someone informed me that that's not the case. anyway, i feel like i ought to watch this just because everyone has seen it. i did see air and thought it was just ok.

3. kino's journey

people recommended this to me. it seems episodic though... that means it'll have to be real good before i start liking it. i really don't know what it's about or anything. seems to revolve around some kid on a motorcycle according to the picture.

4. tsubasa chronicle

well i do like fantasy. i like it more if the characters are actually well developed. i've seen two other clamp series, angelic layer and xxxholic. i loved xxxholic and thought angelic layer was kinda weak (though i do find that main character to be adorable). i actually have this series too but i haven't been motivated to watch it since it's so long and stuff.

5. jungle wa itsumo hale nochi

well i like comedies like school rumble and azumanga daioh. i was not a fan of dokuro-chan and love hina. i mean looking at this, it doesn't look like i'll find it funny from the pictures but can anyone tell if i'd like it based on that information i just gave.

6. gokusen

i think i've asked about this in the past. this just a gto ripoff? it seems like something i'd want to see if it isn't. i hear there's an annoying talking dog or something...
Closed Thread

Tags
comparisons, reviews