AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-06, 23:16   Link #21
wao
OK.

So you want to watch something that's so bad it's good?

I dare you to watch all of GunDou Musashi.
And then post about it here please.

That is, if you haven't already caught those famous 100 seconds from the first episode when it was making waves online...
Old 2008-10-06, 23:49   Link #22
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Kanokon is one of the worst of recent history. The novels are apparently quite successful, and iirc won an award a while ago. A great cast was assembled, and animation was by a studio I generally like the works of, but all in all... it just turned out to be a tragedy. The lead was fat, and the fanservice levels were off the scale. Very seriously more ecchi than most hentai shows I've seen, while not actually (barely) becoming H itself. It's worth watching for the appreciation of how far they managed to bend the line without crossing it, and it has some A grade voices, but damn did the story go nowhere.
Old 2008-10-07, 00:01   Link #23
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Pretear, DearS
Old 2008-10-07, 01:07   Link #24
Synria_
Aboard Kallen's Bandwagon

Here is the list of anime I started, but never finished after 3 eps max:

Kanon, Ah my Goddess (this one I got to like ep 7), and saikano (dropped after first ep).

Anime I regret watching:

Air TV and Maburaho. Both just sucked and boring as hell. I realize Clannad is same designs as Air TV so I didn't even bother with clannad.

I'm currently watching shakugan no shana and I am on ep 7, and I am about to drop this if plot/action doesn't get any better. Does anyone know if shana gets better at all?
Old 2008-10-07, 01:25   Link #25
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
kissdum engage planet

it was as bad as macross frontier was good (same studio)

youll see what i mean after you see the first 3 episodes....show goes from like supernatural to WTF in 2 seconds
Old 2008-10-07, 01:54   Link #26
tbl
Affably Evil

Dragonaut - It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs parking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of a dark abysm... of pish, crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash.

People now prejudge pretty much everything the studio produces now, having very little hope until proven wrong.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-10-07, 03:09   Link #27
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
I watched all of them, except DearS, Pretear and GunDou Musashi (strange rating at ANN, 33 Masterpiece x 36 Worst Ever with little intermediary scores). Gonna try those. Any old school suggestion like MD Geist, Violent Jack, and Genocyber?
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2008-10-07, 03:24   Link #28
james0246

(Almost all the movies listed have at least 1 if not several good parts to them (whether it be 'style', character design, music, etc). A lot of these shows also suffer from the fact that they were left incomplete due to lack of funds, etc, especially the various OVAs.)

In no particular order: Old School Anime in desperate need of a MiSTing-

Project A-ko
Hakkenden
Wicked City
Bubblegum Crash
AD Police Files
They Were Eleven (this is actually a pretty interesting show, especially if you can find the dorama versions)
Nightwalker
Cyber City Oedo 808
A Wind Named Amnesia
Armitage III
DNA˛
Megazone 23
Hades Project Zeorymer
Gall Force (I forget which movie was released in America, but they are all bad )
Heroic Legend of Arslan
Moldiver
Detonator Orgun
Photon
Garzey's Wing
Vampire Princess Miyu
Darkside Blues
Demon City Shinjuku
Burn Up! series

and quite possibly the worst (non-ero/hentai) anime movie ever Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight.

It should be noted that almost anything from AIC from the 1980s are just...just awful. So start there for some "bad" anime (I already listed several in my above list). Most titles done by J.C. Staff are also god awful.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-10-07 at 03:57.
Old 2008-10-07, 03:27   Link #29
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synria_ View Post
Here is the list of anime I started, but never finished after 3 eps max:

Kanon, Ah my Goddess (this one I got to like ep 7), and saikano (dropped after first ep).

Anime I regret watching:

Air TV and Maburaho. Both just sucked and boring as hell. I realize Clannad is same designs as Air TV so I didn't even bother with clannad.

I'm currently watching shakugan no shana and I am on ep 7, and I am about to drop this if plot/action doesn't get any better. Does anyone know if shana gets better at all?
This is why I originally thought this thread might not be such a good idea. This thread was intended by the OP, to find some *genuinely* "bad" anime.

Kanon, AMG!, Air, and SnS are all fairly well regarded. And asking an off-topic question in someone else's thread is considered hijacking, and it's rude.

Another one - Sister Princess received generally poor reviews as well, I believe.

Honestly, most of the shows listed in this thread are closer to "mediocore" - the true rubbish is pretty obscure, and hype plays a big factor in how fan communities view a show, for example Code Geass R2.
Old 2008-10-07, 04:23   Link #30
Autumn Demon
~

uta kata is the only anime i've seen that i would label as trash out of some 175+
Old 2008-10-07, 12:46   Link #31
4Tran

There's too many mediocre shows in this thread that shouldn't be considered really crappy. Heck, some of these titles are halfway decent, or even better. I think one show is heads and shoulders above (below?) all of the awful shows out there - Lime-iro Ryuukitan X Cross. It's still the only show that I can think of with absolutely no redeeming features. I can usually think of good things to say about show that I hate, but there are no words for Lime-iro Ryuukitan.

Or actually, there are: the first episode of Ryuukitan was the very worst anime episode I've ever watched, and I only checked out the second episode because I hoped that it was an outlier and that it would provide some entertainment value. I was wrong, and the second episode is the second worst episode I've ever seen. Fortunately, I've never been able to get a hold of the third episode .

This thread might also point you in somewhat the right decision: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=2937. It's a shame that too many posters in that thread decided to post about shows they didn't like rather than keeping it to the worst of the worst.

Another worthwhile (hah! worthless) candidate is Okusama wa Joshi Kosei (not to be confused with Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo). It's not as horrible as Ryuukitan, but I haven't watched anything else that's quite down there.
Old 2008-10-07, 13:12   Link #32
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

dears is decent and pretear is similar. Musashi is the only decent mention on this page, though James has a total mixed bag. Some of those arer indeed shit (GARZEYS WING, MUST WATCH, SO BAD) but some are great - Project A-Ko? Vampire Priness Miyu?! A-Ko is great in a hilarity way, but Miyu is just amazing!
Old 2008-10-07, 13:24   Link #33
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Interesting request indeed ... so, here are two titles i never though of putting forth in a recommendations thread:

Soul Link - look no further for horrible animation, character designs that flicker from bad to worse, brain dead annoying cast (save for 1-2 characters) and absolutely atrocious plot that may well be intended as insult to someone's intelligence. The only semi-positive memory of the show was the OP, which wasn't a complete throwaway. This is what you want.

If Soul Link was intended to insult someone's intelligence, Cosprayers out right destroys it. This was absolutely the most brain-numbing atrocity i have had the displeasure of watching. (not like i managed to finish it ... even my masochistic tendencies were screaming for mercy soon enough). If i knew where to write so i could get the time i spent watching it back, i would have subscribed long ago. This should serve your needs just fine

Happy nightmares
Old 2008-10-07, 14:00   Link #34
Anime Daisuki

Hmm... Pokemon?
Old 2008-10-07, 14:07   Link #35
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
dears is decent and pretear is similar. Musashi is the only decent mention on this page, though James has a total mixed bag. Some of those arer indeed shit (GARZEYS WING, MUST WATCH, SO BAD) but some are great - Project A-Ko? Vampire Priness Miyu?! A-Ko is great in a hilarity way, but Miyu is just amazing!
To be fair, I was posting more from the perspective that these shows (the various series/movies I listed) could have been seen on MST3K if MST3K were interested in mocking bad Anime. So, they are all pretty bad (at least in my opinion they are pretty bad, and are considered sub-par by the "majority" (just check some of the statistical numbers on the site I linked)), but they all have some redeeming value (whether character design, VA, Music, basic story, animation, etc) that makes them watchable.
Old 2008-10-07, 15:10   Link #36
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Pokémon was good...
Old 2008-10-07, 15:41   Link #37
Anime Daisuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Pokémon was good...
When I was a kid I thought so too, but now... it's just the same repetitive, stupid, cheesy, loop season after season.
Old 2008-10-07, 16:47   Link #38
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Haha, I have the DVD set (Gilgamesh). Actually I liked the anime. Granted it isn't the best, but it's not that bad.
The fact that you own the boxset for this horrible, soul-crushing show, tells me I am no where in your masochistic class…At about episode 10 you start asking yourself if death verses watching this show is really all that bad? (Cue the cheezy 80's video game OP credit music) This is the type of show I’d show suicidal cult members right before I make a mass Kool-aid run…What could you have possibly enjoyed enuff to make you take money out of your pocket with pride? For shame…

The only thing I could mildly suggest off the top of my head would be BLOOD the movie...That $hit is so terrible I never wanted to watch Blood + just of the strength they had a relation…Perhaps even Locke the Superman...It's one of those so bad it's good old school movies...And if you want to lulz your a$$ off at something so bad it's awesome, you might wanna try this seldom seen cartoon from Britain called: Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century..Some of the cases are actually pretty good, but the world, the backgroud animation, the triteness cliche's in every character gave me lots of laffs...The flying cars look like the product of just a sniff of LSD^^....
Old 2008-10-07, 18:47   Link #39
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Interesting request indeed ... so, here are two titles i never though of putting forth in a recommendations thread:

Soul Link - look no further for horrible animation, character designs that flicker from bad to worse, brain dead annoying cast (save for 1-2 characters) and absolutely atrocious plot that may well be intended as insult to someone's intelligence. The only semi-positive memory of the show was the OP, which wasn't a complete throwaway. This is what you want.

If Soul Link was intended to insult someone's intelligence, Cosprayers out right destroys it. This was absolutely the most brain-numbing atrocity i have had the displeasure of watching. (not like i managed to finish it ... even my masochistic tendencies were screaming for mercy soon enough). If i knew where to write so i could get the time i spent watching it back, i would have subscribed long ago. This should serve your needs just fine

Happy nightmares
Those are pretty good choices. To get the full Cosprayer experience though, one should watch the extra episodes, and Smash Hit and Love Love. Cosprayers itself is the worst of the lot, but it's not really that much worse than other brain-dead shows like Ultimate Girls (yes, they're all m.o.e. shows!). I didn't find it as offensive Okusama wa Joshi Kosei - then again, I didn't expect it to be any good going in either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
The only thing I could mildly suggest off the top of my head would be BLOOD the movie...That $hit is so terrible I never wanted to watch Blood + just of the strength they had a relation
Blood+ and Blood: the Last Vampire are different enough that one could easily like one but not the other. You might want to give Blood+ a shot since it's a much more human show, and the first half is quite decent (if not good). The second half is not as good, but it's still a semi-decent show.
Old 2008-10-07, 21:15   Link #40
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
The fact that you own the boxset for this horrible, soul-crushing show, tells me I am no where in your masochistic class…At about episode 10 you start asking yourself if death verses watching this show is really all that bad? (Cue the cheezy 80's video game OP credit music) This is the type of show I’d show suicidal cult members right before I make a mass Kool-aid run…What could you have possibly enjoyed enuff to make you take money out of your pocket with pride? For shame…
I lol'ed hard. Well actually I didn't buy it. I bought another DVD collection (Trinity Blood) and got this one for free (I didn't ask for it), so I guess this speaks volumes about how the ex-owner loved it ^^
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Closed Thread