AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-21, 06:10   Link #23841
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iraq blocks Syria-bound North Korean plane, suspects weapons cargo
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88K0EL20120921
Old 2012-09-21, 07:56   Link #23842
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
The study about GMO's Monsanto dangerousness has beel made public

I warn you, some pictures of the rats aren't cute.
Apparently, the study is flawed. (not enough rats used, the race of species is known for developing naturally cancer, there was not enough indications on their diet beside the GMO food)
The fact the head researcher is a well known opponent to GMO and uses this study to promote a book that will come out in a few days should have raised a couple of flags.

However, there is apparently a consensus that there isn't a good study on this yet.

Monsanto only did a 3 months study on dogs. That didn't cover 10% of their lifetime. That's like saying if a human wasn't affected at 7 years old, he wouldn't be ever.
This study was far better on this matter because it studied rats for 2 months, covering 66% of their lifetime)

What's wrong with french research nowadays ? Well, at least, those rats didn't travel faster than light.

EDIT : it's not just promotion for a book, there is also a movie in which you will see the rats agonizing.

Last edited by Rahan; 2012-09-21 at 08:09.
Old 2012-09-21, 08:24   Link #23843
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Now there's a research topic.... FTL rats
Old 2012-09-21, 08:32   Link #23844
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Iraq blocks Syria-bound North Korean plane, suspects weapons cargo
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88K0EL20120921
Sounds like CYA to me.
Old 2012-09-21, 09:45   Link #23845
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
My province.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4557174/
Quote:
Proposed legislation announced on Thursday would set the pay of chief executive officers at two times the salary of Premier Dalton McGuinty, which is currently $209,000. The legislation would not apply to current executives, many of whom make more than $1-million a year. In all, 150 employees in the broader public sector are above the $418,000 threshold.
Short summary:
If this new legislation is passed, no one can obtain a position in the Public Sector (payed with taxpayer money) with a salary, or raise to a salary of over $418,000 CAD/yr. This amount is a hard cap at twice what the Premier (Provincial leader of leading political party) makes a year ($209,000 CAD/yr).

There are currently 150 people in the public sector of Ontario who exceed this proposed cap and easily receive 1,000,000+ taxpayer dollars a year each.
-----------

*Note: If passed, this does not apply to the 150. It only applies to new employees and executives.

I hope they get this through. No immediate improvement but those people really need a leash. It's a nice step against wage disparity. I think a lot of the angry comments is directed at how this isn't 'enough' of a solution to our provincial deficit, but that's probably asking for too much at once, compared to the pace of how much got done in the past by the current premier and previous premiers.
Old 2012-09-21, 11:43   Link #23846
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
grow your own potatoes
Neg Rep
Quote:
Sorry.....
somebody doesn't like potatoes
Old 2012-09-21, 11:44   Link #23847
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Neg Rep

Then I hope he has a vineyard for his raisins.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-21, 12:01   Link #23848
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Neg Rep

See? The "Kill others for their potatoes" mindset is already beginning to take hold.

Endless "Mashed potatoes" Soul
Old 2012-09-21, 12:17   Link #23849
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Neg Rep

I *like* potatoes... but they're not good for me.

Obviously, someone didn't catch the memo on Animesuki's local currency. Potatoes for everyone!
Old 2012-09-21, 13:41   Link #23850
Zakoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Apparently, the study is flawed. (not enough rats used, the race of species is known for developing naturally cancer, there was not enough indications on their diet beside the GMO food)
It goes without saying, the research was supposed to show that it increases the chance of getting cancer, not that taking the substance gives you cancer. As such, it's absolutely normal to take a race of rat with a high chance of cancer.
Example, let's say a rat after 18 months of living has 1% chance of having cancer, even if a subtance double it, it will only be 2%, and in such a case can enter in the margin of error. But take a race with 30% chance of having cancer, if it becomes 70% it's totally different, both in term of proof and buzz. But yeah there wasn't enough indication aside the GMO taken.

Quote:
The fact the head researcher is a well known opponent to GMO and uses this study to promote a book that will come out in a few days should have raised a couple of flags.
And? France isn't UK, we don't have the same research misconduct as them. And when a UK research publishes something we don't go saying "it's coming from british, forcibly false". ... Well at least I hope my fellows don't think it.

At last there's is something I agree with cosmic, I think the issue comes from the herbicid used.
Old 2012-09-21, 13:51   Link #23851
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iranian hackers target Bank of America, JPMorgan, Citi
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88K12H20120921
Old 2012-09-21, 16:02   Link #23852
AnimeFan188

2C-I or 'Smiles': The New Killer Drug Every Parent Should Know About:

"2C-I--known by its eerie street name "Smiles"--has become a serious problem in
the Grand Forks area, according to local police. Overdoses of the drug have also
be reported in Indiana and Minnesota. But if the internet is any indication, Smiles
is on the rise all over the country."

"The fact that 2C-I is untraceable in tests makes it more of a challenge for doctors
to treat. It also contributes to drug's growing popularity among high school and
college-age kids.

"Synthetic drugs don't generally show up on drug tests and that's made it
popular with young adults, as well as people entering the military, college
athletes, or anyone who gets tested for drugs," Barbara Carreno, a
spokesperson for the Drug Enforcement Agency, tells Shine.""

""Drugs used to take longer to get around but now with the internet they can
spread by word of mouth online," says Carreno. If drugs like Smiles are as viral as
an internet meme, they have a similarly brief life-span. Already, a newer, re-
booted version of the drug is cropping up on the other side of the planet, and by
early accounts it's terrifying."

See:

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...234200299.html
Old 2012-09-21, 16:04   Link #23853
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Is there anything left for hackers to target in Iran? Perhaps what's left of the government's money.

In other news: http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/nat...20-055314.html (article in French)

Some of you may have heard of the student protests in Quebec since last March or April. Back then, the government of Quebec said there would be a rise in tuition fees required for universities to find balance in their finances. Although Quebec would still have had the lowest tuition fees in the country despite the hike, a very vocal minority of students went on wild, asked tuition fees to be frozen at the current level and some even asked for a totally free university education. The riots turned so violent that the government voted Bill 78, which is a set of rules about how people should hold their demonstrations. Even then, the same fools went on whining about how it violated their civil rights when the truth is that the set of rules was far less restraining than what we have in other North American cities about rules (such as New York).

Those who protested against the government and tuition hikes are recognizable in our streets with their red squares. They see everything more centrist or slightly right-winged as evil. What those people also asked was the entire population to pay their education with more taxes when Quebec already has the highest taxes in the country; in other words, those spoiled brats were not willing to pay to earn a service they need of their own accord and then ask taxpayers to do everything for them.

Now that a new government was elected with Pauline Marois on top, they cancelled all tuition hikes and put Bill 78 into the trash bin. IMHO, this was an irresponsible decision considering how our universities have a hard time competing with the best because there's a shortage of money injected in and considering how many anarchists infiltrated the student movement. By giving those people what they want, what will come next? No wonder why one of our former PMs called Quebecers as non-productive and lazy people.
Old 2012-09-21, 16:22   Link #23854
AnimeFan188

Libya update:

"the intelligence community is currently analyzing an intercept between a Libyan
politician whose sympathies are with al Qaeda and the Libyan militia known as
the February 17 Brigade—which had been charged with providing local security to
the consulate. In the intercept, the Libyan politician apparently asks an officer in
the brigade to have his men stand down for a pending attack—another piece of
evidence implying the violence was planned in advance."

See:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...narrative.html
Old 2012-09-21, 16:23   Link #23855
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ KiraYamatoFan They get the butter and the money. Marois canceled the hikes while keeping the bonification to the grants. Even worse, the students associations now want Marois to freeze the tuition fees, which would make the problem even deeper.

Let's hope than this monority gouvernment don't last long enough to make much damage, but I am not optimist.
Old 2012-09-21, 16:30   Link #23856
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
DDoS requiring highly skilled programmers? It doesn't take an OSCP to mask your IP or run the Low Orbit Ion Cannon!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-21, 17:17   Link #23857
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"highly skilled" my ass..... o.O Idiots at the wheel, look out.
Old 2012-09-21, 17:58   Link #23858
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Protesters storm main Islamist militia HQ in Libya's Benghazi
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88K17920120921
Quote:
Hundreds of pro-government protesters stormed the headquarters of the main Islamist militia group in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi on Friday, Reuters witnesses said.
Chanting "Libya, Libya", the demonstrators pulled down flags of the Ansar Al-Sharia militiaand torched a vehicle inside the base. There was no sign of resistance from the militia.
Earlier, protesters entered a separate compound belonging to the militia.
Something more constructive and dangerous than manifesting against the US because of a cheap movie...
Old 2012-09-21, 18:01   Link #23859
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Something more constructive and dangerous than manifesting against the US because of a cheap movie...
I wish they would make up their mind who they want to kill or kick out of their country.

Old 2012-09-21, 18:03   Link #23860
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
@ KiraYamatoFan They get the butter and the money. Marois canceled the hikes while keeping the bonification to the grants. Even worse, the students associations now want Marois to freeze the tuition fees, which would make the problem even deeper.

Let's hope than this monority gouvernment don't last long enough to make much damage, but I am not optimist.
That's the problem when you have a left-winged government and a group of citizens so blinded by their left-wing ideas without adding a dose of moderation. Going far right or far left is nowhere near a good idea in such uncertain times, thus the best way is to be more towards the center. People mostly forgot that it should be about what a citizen can do for his/her country, not what the country can do for him/her.

Apparently, the Liberals have among their candidates for the party's leadership one who could quickly cut the grass under Marois' feet. Even today, Marois made a fool of herself by rearranging the cabinet barely 2 days after naming the people leading the ministries. And that's not all: if protests became the in thing, there are several groups trying to mobilize by late October to make on big demonstration against Marois about all subjects (the way she leads the province, her very poor plan for economics, her political stance, and the bigotry in her party).

I don't think she will last the first year at all. By next spring, I think there will be a new government and Marois will go down towards retirement.

EDIT:

Quote:

Wow! Now, that's what I wanted to see: something very constructive and not resulting into violence. Hats off to those guys.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international