Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-24, 17:22   Link #1
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

Looking for more....

I've been reading up on this site for a few years and meanwhile I've seen quite a decent selection of series/movies. but I need more:

I'm looking for a show that keeps puzzling me (death, gore and other gross stuff are fine, fantasy is good as well):

examples I've seen:

higurashi no naku koro ni
umineko no naku koro ni
Code Geass
Death Note
Shiki
Full metal alchemist (although this one was just awesome, but hardly puzzling me)
Gosick (new show, 3 eps so far, seems promising)
Monster
Ergo Proxy
Bakemonogatari
kara no kyoukai

You are also welcome to give me suggestions for fantasy/shounen/mystery:

this list could be huuuuge:
I keep up with most longer on-going shows ( i.e. naruto, one piece, etc)

Things I liked:
Black Lagoon
Cowboy bebop
Elfen Lied
D. gray man
shakugan no shana
etc
etc

For a friend i'm looking for total weird stuff in sci-fi:
he hasn't seen a lot, but he really liked things like:
Ergo Proxy
Paranoia Agent
Ghost in the shell movies ( hasn't seen the series yet, but looking into them)
and especially Serial Experiments Lain.

Hope to see some names I'ven't seen yet.
Old 2011-01-24, 18:07   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm enjoying Ghost Hunt, which is by the same author as Shiki. Not nearly as gory or bleak, but occasionally quite scary and generally well-crafted supernatural mysteries.
Old 2011-01-24, 19:12   Link #3
Maccette
VF-1X Original Test Pilot

if you like Bakemonogatari, i think you'll like Katangatari.
Old 2011-01-24, 20:24   Link #4
kitten320

Baccano is quiet a puzzling anime because of the way episodes flow, showing almost the same scenes from different views and by that answering the questions. Scenes which seemed not to make sence get connected and create one big story.

Not exactly but maybe Ga-Rei Zero, in first 2 episodes we see an insane character and then we get to see events before that where same character is one big friendlines and you start to wonder just how the hell did she become a killing machine?

Definetly second Ghost Hunt, it is a detective with ghost involvement.

Le Chevalier D'Eon has some puzzles, didn't like series as much as I hoped for but it might be different for you, series did have some interesting moments.

Mai-HiME might keep you guessing but not as much as others above. It would be more FMA like.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom sometimes you'll be wondering just how the hell characters are going to deal with the trouble, deaths and lies around them.

You can try Shinrei Tantei Yakumo, reminds of Ghost Hunt but is not so suspense built.
Old 2011-01-24, 23:19   Link #5
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
Well, you seem to have a certain liking to horror and psychological anime which I applaud. I noticed the Death Note,Higurashi No Naku Koro ni, Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, and Elfen Lied, which tells me you might enjoy these two as well, which have the similar theme of despair and mystery to them, even possibly to a greater extent.

Quote:
Jigoku Shoujo/ Hell Girl
Has someone done something to hurt you or the ones you love? Are you seeking revenge? Rumor has it that there’s a website that can service your needs. Titled “Hotline to Hell”, it contains a form that can be accessed only at midnight. Type in a name, and the Hell Girl will carry out your bidding – for a price. For though your appetite for revenge will be satisfied, your soul will also be condemned to hell after you die. But who is the Hell Girl, and does she care whether your revenge is justified? Apparently not, as long as she gets more souls…
Quote:
Vampire Princess Miyu
In the human world, there live demonic invaders named Shinma who prey upon the fragile souls of humans. The only hope for the humans is one of demonkind: Miyu, who is fated to destroy the Shinma and send them back to whence they came. Although half-human herself, as well as living amongst them as a typical high school student, she bears no compassion for those she saves, as well as condemns. Along with Larva, her subservient, Miyu sets out to destroy evil, one Shinma at a time.
Vampire Princess Miyu is only 26 episodes, but it has an interesting plot to it. Hell Girl spans three seasons, although only the first season is dubbed, the last twoyou'll have to watch with subtitles. I started watching it after I finished Death Note and Elfen Lied, having been recommended it myself, and overall I'm satisfied with the series, so you might enjoy it as well.

Last edited by Seishin; 2011-01-25 at 16:37.
Old 2011-01-25, 18:12   Link #6
Practical joke
...completely lost it...

Thanks for the replies:

I've seen quite a few of the replies but not yet:

katangari
Ga-Rei zero
shinrei
miyu
hell-girl

so thanks a lot and I'll look into these series.

highly appreciated
Closed Thread