Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-06-10, 11:19   Link #1
endarion88

Looking for a good monitor for both PC and PS4

as title say i'm lloking for a good monitor to connect both my pc and ps4

for the pc use it is gaming/watching anime mainly

my pc is pretty good but is not some harcore top end so i don't really need 144HZ monitor, i think a standard 60hz 60fps would suffice, still since it is mainly for gaming i would prefer something with a pretty low response time, i'm not going to use extreme photoshop or video editing and i don't even really know what a really good color quality is but i would like something at least "decent"

1080p max resulution is perfect, i don't care about 4k and such and both ps4 and my pc could not handle it anyway

searching on the web i seen people talking about the BenQ-RL2455HM-Monitor as a good monitor but then lot of people also say it has some of the shittiest colors EVER so now i don't know what to think of this one...

and pretty much every "recommend monitor" seems to either have shitty colors os ghostling or whatever is called

those situations where for every good rewiev there is also a bad one...

so here i am asking for your opinions

also it doesn't need to be really big, 24" range is perfectly fine

for info, my current pc monitor is a samsung syncmaster 2232bw, as color quality i don't even know how it ranks, but being the only monitor i ever had it is basicaly my standard or what i'm used to

Last edited by endarion88; 2016-06-10 at 12:23.
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-10, 12:10   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I bought a 23" Acer on sale from Newegg for $120 on sale a while back and really like it. I care mostly about text sharpness since I spend most of my time writing or coding, so the 5ms response time doesn't matter to me. They have a 27" Acer with 1 ms response on sale now at $279 that might fit your needs. It gets good reviews, too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009849
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-10, 12:22   Link #3
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I bought a 23" Acer on sale from Newegg for $120 on sale a while back and really like it. I care mostly about text sharpness since I spend most of my time writing or coding, so the 5ms response time doesn't matter to me. They have a 27" Acer with 1 ms response on sale now at $279 that might fit your needs. It gets good reviews, too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009849
thanks, but my bad i forgot to say 1080p resolutiont is best for me given that is the best that both ps4 and my graphic card can handle, will update the post
Old 2016-06-11, 10:20   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are the 1080p monitors at Newegg sorted by reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NG&PageSize=90. The top-ranked model is an Acer quite similar to mine but slightly smaller.
Old 2016-06-12, 02:52   Link #5
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
for info, my current pc monitor is a samsung syncmaster 2232bw, as color quality i don't even know how it ranks, but being the only monitor i ever had it is basicaly my standard or what i'm used to
The 2232bw uses a TN panel. Which are cheap and have good response times but bad colours and viewing angles.

It used to be that most cheap monitors used TN panels but nowadays you see a lot more cheap monitors with VA or IPS panels. Some gamers still favour TN panels because they're the fastest.

Personally I recommend avoiding TN panels. Granted, I don't get a lot of time to game anymore, but I don't tend to notice ghosting on my 5ms IPS LCD. I do notice how much better the colours and viewing angles are compared to my other monitor which is a 2ms TN panel.

BTW, consoles output at 60hz and 40+ inch TVs are almost never TN panels due to the viewing angle issue. So if you've gamed on those and thought it was okay you're probably okay with a good VA/IPS LCD.

VA and IPS panels have a lot of variants, here's what fits into which family:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...es_content.htm

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-12, 04:04   Link #6
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The 2232bw uses a TN panel. Which are cheap and have good response times but bad colours and viewing angles.

It used to be that most cheap monitors used TN panels but nowadays you see a lot more cheap monitors with VA or IPS panels. Some gamers still favour TN panels because they're the fastest.

Personally I recommend avoiding TN panels. Granted, I don't get a lot of time to game anymore, but I don't tend to notice ghosting on my 5ms IPS LCD. I do notice how much better the colours and viewing angles are compared to my other monitor which is a 2ms TN panel.

BTW, consoles output at 60hz and 40+ inch TVs are almost never TN panels due to the viewing angle issue. So if you've gamed on those and thought it was okay you're probably okay with a good VA/IPS LCD.

VA and IPS panels have a lot of variants, here's what fits into which family:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...es_content.htm
so given that 60 fps is my best anyway you suggest i go for an ips with 5ms or less and i probably won't notice much difference compared to 2ms in terms of speed?
Old 2016-06-16, 08:35   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you haven't bought a monitor yet, take a look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009642. 1080p and runs up to 144 Hz, though it is a TN panel rather than an ITS.

It's selling for $180 with a promo code discount; use this code at checkout: EMCEKFK38. The offer ends on 6/22.
Old 2016-06-16, 10:20   Link #8
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you haven't bought a monitor yet, take a look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009642. 1080p and runs up to 144 Hz, though it is a TN panel rather than an ITS.

It's selling for $180 with a promo code discount; use this code at checkout: EMCEKFK38. The offer ends on 6/22.
haven't bought anything yet, really can't decide if just stay with a TN panel since i never seen a ips anyway, or switch to ips and risk the ghosting

i'm also noticing that some acer monitors for some reason are sold only in the US :C and this is really sad as i seen the Acer R240HY, a ips with only 4ms response but it is sold only in the US

EDIT: also for every monitor i check i just keep getting contraddicting opinios so i really don't know what to think anymore

Last edited by endarion88; 2016-06-19 at 17:06.
Old 2016-06-22, 15:13   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
so given that 60 fps is my best anyway you suggest i go for an ips with 5ms or less and i probably won't notice much difference compared to 2ms in terms of speed?
I can't say for sure you won't notice a difference, but response time isn't as big an issue now as it was say 10-15 years ago. And 5ms IPS panels seem to have a decent reputation on that front, here's the administrator of blurbuster.net said to a poster thinking of replacing a VA LCD with noticeable ghosting with a 5ms IPS LCD:

Quote:
Very probably far less ghosting. 5ms IPS panels are usually good for gaming, if their input lag is low, and you're not too concerned about motion blur.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56

Note that motion blur on LCDs is not ghosting, TN panels have motion blur too. Higher refresh rates will reduce motion blur but to eliminate it you need a strobing backlight and the monitors that have that tend to be pricy.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-27, 12:41   Link #10
lubczyk

Coming from this Samsung IPS monitor:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s24d390hl/

It was good for reading the web, but had terrible black levels. I had the monitor swapped out 3 times due to backlight bleed. Even with the backlight bleed minimized but not eliminated on the right side, the IPS glow made blacks appear gray. The contrast levels were awful and the screen had a blue tint when from the side. It was a disappointing viewing experience.

I recently went with the this Samsung S-PVA and I highly recommend it:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c27f591fd/

No backlight bleed, no IPS glow, no blue tint from the angles, no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, over 3000:1 static contrast compared with the 1000:1 static contrast from the old IPS, viewing angels are comparable to the old IPS. Anime and movies look better on it than my 2014 S-PVA Samsung 60UNH7150 Smart TV.

I can never go back to IPS. My next monitor/TV will be OLED or another S-PVA.

Unless you are doing color-critical work activities, you should lean towards S-PVA and not an IPS when looking for a monitor for multi-media consumption.

I just re-watched Rage of Bahamut: Genesis on the S-PVA monitor as well as the IPS one, there is no comparison. S-PVA wins hands down.

The curve also is useful and does not distort the image, but brings the corners of the image closer to your eyes.

I've played some Call of Duty 4 Single Player and some Rome: Total War 2 and it works well enough. I don't do competitive gaming, so I can't say whether or not it will suffice for that purpose.

The reasons I didn't go with a 4k monitor is because there isn't enough 4k content for me to consume and I can't justify going back to an IPS/TN monitor over S-PVA.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Enjoy your purchase.

Last edited by lubczyk; 2016-06-27 at 13:05.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 19:52   Link #11
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Coming from this Samsung IPS monitor:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s24d390hl/

It was good for reading the web, but had terrible black levels. I had the monitor swapped out 3 times due to backlight bleed. Even with the backlight bleed minimized but not eliminated on the right side, the IPS glow made blacks appear gray. The contrast levels were awful and the screen had a blue tint when from the side. It was a disappointing viewing experience.

I recently went with the this Samsung S-PVA and I highly recommend it:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c27f591fd/

No backlight bleed, no IPS glow, no blue tint from the angles, no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, over 3000:1 static contrast compared with the 1000:1 static contrast from the old IPS, viewing angels are comparable to the old IPS. Anime and movies look better on it than my 2014 S-PVA Samsung 60UNH7150 Smart TV.

I can never go back to IPS. My next monitor/TV will be OLED or another S-PVA.

Unless you are doing color-critical work activities, you should lean towards S-PVA and not an IPS when looking for a monitor for multi-media consumption.

I just re-watched Rage of Bahamut: Genesis on the S-PVA monitor as well as the IPS one, there is no comparison. S-PVA wins hands down.

The curve also is useful and does not distort the image, but brings the corners of the image closer to your eyes.

I've played some Call of Duty 4 Single Player and some Rome: Total War 2 and it works well enough. I don't do competitive gaming, so I can't say whether or not it will suffice for that purpose.

The reasons I didn't go with a 4k monitor is because there isn't enough 4k content for me to consume and I can't justify going back to an IPS/TN monitor over S-PVA.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you. Enjoy your purchase.
i don't really do "competitive gaming"either but i do play really "fast" action games so, i just don't want to see "trails" everywhere

EDIT:

ok so in the end my monitor completly died out and i had to buy a new one in a rush

i ended us buying the asus VC239H (ips 5ms response) since it was cheap and i got this as recommended alternative to the Acer R240HY wich is not sold in europe

in the end i'm satisfied, i don't notice much difference from my old 2ms and the blue-light filter and flicker free really do help my late-night manga session, was also lucky enought to get one without any really noticeable light-bleed

Last edited by endarion88; 2016-07-06 at 09:07.
Old 2016-07-11, 14:49   Link #12
lubczyk

Quote:
i don't really do "competitive gaming"either but i do play really "fast" action games so, i just don't want to see "trails" everywhere

EDIT:

ok so in the end my monitor completly died out and i had to buy a new one in a rush

i ended us buying the asus VC239H (ips 5ms response) since it was cheap and i got this as recommended alternative to the Acer R240HY wich is not sold in europe

in the end i'm satisfied, i don't notice much difference from my old 2ms and the blue-light filter and flicker free really do help my late-night manga session, was also lucky enought to get one without any really noticeable light-bleed
I'm happy to hear that. As long as it meets your needs and it's an improvement over what you had before, I'd consider it a success.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 15:19   Link #13
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
I'm happy to hear that. As long as it meets your needs and it's an improvement over what you had before, I'd consider it a success.
ond the classic ufo test it seems to ghost even less than my old 2ms tn actualy, and having my pc connected with the dvi i have the hdmi free to connect my ps4 and can switch from one to an other any moment from the menu