Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-03, 22:39   Link #161
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You've unduly restricted the meaning of "god"... There are innumerable gods in Shinto, Hindu, or western pre-Christian culture - many of which don't have "creator" status. Many of them aren't even immortal

In the traditional sense, "god" is simply a being that can do things humans can't do.... except that over time the humans are catching up.
Sorry I missed your post .

Yup, in my previous post, I’ve restricted the word “God” into just the ‘almighty’ and the 'omnipotent' one. Unlike some gods in Japanese culture for example, who only rule some tiny areas (mountains, lakes, etc) compared to the whole planet (let alone universe) and are worshiped just by being there.
Old 2012-06-09, 15:55   Link #162
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

okay so many people may consider immortality as curse, because of the pain it can cause by the death of your loved ones and you live on, you cannot have a family, you don't die, you cannot be with people around you for a long time and many other things

But sometimes immortality can also work as gift, i mean there is so much to do in this big world, there is so much to learn, so many experiences to come, so many places to see, you can even see the evoulution of things that can take place between centuries and for all these things one life time is not enough
But still all these experiences can become meaningless if you don't have anyone to share it with

Well for me immortality should be there only if it keeps you in your youth, because i certainly don't want to go on living becoming old and old , sitting on a wheel chair and doing nothing and for me immortaliry only means no natural death
Old 2012-06-09, 16:10   Link #163
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

The endless wealth of information you could document for future generations, though much like a lot of old documents...there will be those that misconstrue it for their own agenda Though unlike the others...you'll be around to smack them down if they try to screw with the meaning
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 16:25   Link #164
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
The endless wealth of information you could document for future generations, though much like a lot of old documents...there will be those that misconstrue it for their own agenda Though unlike the others...you'll be around to smack them down if they try to screw with the meaning
That is not as easy as it sounds. Think for example if someone born more than two thousand years ago tried what you suggest. Documenting mundane things on paper might sound logical, but average paper turns to dust in less than a hundred years. You would need to use pig skin for your records to survive a few centuries. It was also a pain in the neck to do a book by hand, you needed to be quite patient and have very good caligraphy skills. And the worst part is that it is really hard to know what moments of history really needs to be documented, the birth of a boy in a forsaken land at the end of the mediterranean sea would not seem relevant at the time. Lets suppose that anyway somehow you mange to document relevant pieces of history that are fundamental in the modern world, if said documents are against the established canon (i.e. Mary was not a virgin, Jesus was not crucified, etc.) chances are you will be hunted down and thrown in a casket into the Mariana trench.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 16:32   Link #165
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Good thing this isn't 2000 years ago and it was never implied to be easy.

You have nothing better to do really. Redocument and as technology keeps evolving, transfer the information to new media, while maintaining originals in a air lock/sealed off area. There are ways to retain records, even if it's really mundane/pain in the ass.

Don't know why you needed to link the Mariana Trench, talked about that one earlier
Old 2012-06-09, 16:42   Link #166
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
You have nothing better to do really. Redocument and as technology keeps evolving, transfer the information to new media. There are many ways to retain records, even if it's really mundane.
There are many mundante methods of losing your records (theft) and also some not so mundane. I have said many times in the past (alebit probably in other forums) that is not a matter of "if" but of "when" for an electromagentic pulse attack to hit. So you might have in your shiny hard disk the indexed data compiled over the lapse of some decades and then *poof*, now you don't, even if you manage to get the disk working again the information is no longer there. Accidents happen and with those the will to keep doing said task,

Quote:
Don't know why you needed to link the Mariana Trench, talked about that one earlier
Cursed If You Do, Cursed If You Don't.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-09, 16:56   Link #167
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

As technology evolves, we'll have better ways to deal with EMP type events.

I pretty much expect bad things to happen over the course of my immortal life, it's a matter of prevention and preparation. A backup for a backup that has a backup for it's backup that's backing up it's backup and so on and so forth or becoming Batman